Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Back by popular demand - the 2013 Relegation Mini League(tm)

"but then this is the new football where strange folk with specs held together with bandaid slurp vigorously on cartons of ribena as the gaze intently on figures that tell them how many throws ins from the left side of the pitch in the second half each team has ''gained'' which somehow alffords them the means to quantify what they have seen"

Sadly, that''s too true.

Give it up guys, this table is a shambles. It doesn''t work.

Surely the sensible ones amongst those people who don''t find this thread interesting or relevant are those who simply ignore it, and don''t keep bumping it with perplexing attempts to stop it from happening.

It''s like the inquisitors keep jumping into bed with the young monks just to monitor or make sure there''s no hanky panky going on (and ensure that if it is, then it''s on their terms)

“We certainly won’t lose sight of what the realities are.  We are still in a group of teams where it is still all about staying in this division."Chris Hughton sees the value of the mini-league, December 2012.

And who are we to argue?Goodbye Reading.  (Good evening, City 1st.)We have Reading and Villa at home, and Wigan away.  I would expect 6 points from that lot.  Wigan are the most impressive at putting away the "also rans".  On that basis, QPR and Villa should expect nothing from Wigan.  Shame, that.

Team Played Points Points/game
Wigan 7 14 2.00
Southampton 9 15 1.67
Norwich City 7 9 1.29
QPR 7 8 1.14
Aston Villa 7 8 1.14
Reading 7 2 0.29

AWAY
  Norwich City QPR Reading Southampton Aston Villa Wigan
HOME Norwich City X 1-1 20/04/2013 0-0 04/05/2013 2-1
QPR 0-0 X 1-1 1-3 1-1 06/04/2013
Reading 0-0 27/04/2013 X 06/04/2013 1-3 0-3
Southampton 1-1 1-2 1-0 X 4-1 0-2
Aston Villa 1-1 16/03/2013 1-0 0-1 X 0-3
Wigan 30/03/2013 2-2 3-2 2-2 19/05/2013 X

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Ok - goodbye Reading agreed.

Two of Southampton, Wigan - top of your mini-league, and us.[/quote]I would think QPR and Villa would also have something to say about that.

dearie me

I should imagine Chris Huhne and his missus have a better case than that worthless old tosh

Teams below us who are closer to relegation don''t feature in this absurdity, yet the team in 9th - 16 points away from a relegation place do !

The whole idea of this nonsense is that it will show how many points teams get against the relegation ''strugglers'' which is therefore supposed to indicate who is going to be relegated. Unfortunately in this Alice in Wonderland world of make believe we have Wigan top of this table (in reality they are in a relegation place) and Reading achieving .29 points per game which currently would have them on 8.4 points ! ..... and Southampton on 48.4 points which would have them 5th ! ! !

However for those without any axe to grind against the club (lookaway now Highland ''canary'' ?) you can see how well we are doing here -

http://services.pinkun.com/norfolk/football/stats/pinkun/norwich-city/2012-2013/table.aspx?lid=14&did=95

One point closer to that 9th place than we were at 3pm

Bump...hands off me cassock, inquisitor!

You''ve put your finger on a precious thing... the fact that the Mini League''s not working as a predictor, but it is interesting nonetheless, for that very reason. Bold predictions make for progressive science. In fact it gave you the opportunity to do the above research and reveal it to the board public. Oh admit it, you love this thread!

If the mini league form guide can be trusted, Wigan should beat Norwich and Villa, and draw with QPR.Norwich should beat Villa.Not looking fantastic for Villa then.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]If the mini league form guide can be trusted, Wigan should beat Norwich and Villa, and draw with QPR.Norwich should beat Villa.Not looking fantastic for Villa then.[/quote]

Form guides are fairly meaningless in a league where supposed relegation fodder can beat Man U and Arsenal at home.   Surely its points from all games that matter?      The mini-league is too selective and takes no account of the reality of the whole league.   Interesting it may be to some, but it is only relevant if you don''t get points off any of the teams higher up the table.    But in reality that is what happens.   If we had lost at home to MU and the Arse, we would be in 17th place.   

[quote user="Ha ya got a loight boy"][quote user="Mister Chops"]If the mini league form guide can be trusted, Wigan should beat Norwich and Villa, and draw with QPR.Norwich should beat Villa.Not looking fantastic for Villa then.[/quote]

Form guides are fairly meaningless in a league where supposed relegation fodder can beat Man U and Arsenal at home.   Surely its points from all games that matter?      The mini-league is too selective and takes no account of the reality of the whole league.   Interesting it may be to some, but it is only relevant if you don''t get points off any of the teams higher up the table.    But in reality that is what happens.   If we had lost at home to MU and the Arse, we would be in 17th place.   

[/quote]I agree to a point.The point of this exercise was to look at the teams who were likely to be in the bottom half of the bottom half of the table come the end of the season, and to see which teams were taking the points in these "six pointers", accepting they are not six pointers, only three pointers like every other game.It''s not scientific, and arguably means nothing at all.  And yet of the seven clubs selected, only Swansea have really cut themselves free (in some style too).But what do I know?  And what do these players know?Realistically there are going to be eight teams that fight it out and it’s almost can you win that mini-league, because if you do then you’ll be alright.  I’d take this position we are in now come the end of the season.” Russell Martin, Pink Un October 24th 2012“At the start of the season you look at these games and you hope to pick up as many points as you can from the teams you think may be in and around you come the end of the season.  They’re really important – points against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, they’re bonuses.”  Anthony Pilkington, Pink Un November 2012It''s fun and fun only, but there is a vaguely serious "outcome" (that word''s for you, City 1st) to it as the order of the mini league shows. I don''t think Wigan will go down because they will pick up more points against their mini-league rivals.   I would expect the bottom three to be the Premiership bottom three come May.  If it is then I believe this Nostradamus-lite effort has done its job.

My ideal bottom 3 is QPR, Villa and Southampton. If only Reading got the win they deserved against Villa and Holt buried his pen..ah well. Plenty of time for it! Southampton have Liverpool at home next and Reading have Man Utd away. Tough, tough games. QPR play Villa so someone will lose out there at least and same with Newcastle away to Wigan.

"He''s the man/with the plan/got a counterfeit dollar in his hand..."He''s either Harry Redknapp or City 1st.  Or maybe they are the same person (cue drums from Eastenders-style cliffhanger).Norwich now 3rd from bottom with Wigan, leading the mini-league, as the next game.  I would expect a point maximum from Wigan.Dear oh my.We''ll finish 15th.  Reading (H), Villa (H) = 4 points = safety.

Wigan 7 14 2.00
Southampton 9 15 1.67
Aston Villa 8 11 1.38
Norwich City 7 9 1.29
QPR 8 8 1.00
Reading 7 2 0.29
“At the start of the season you look at these games and you hope to pick up as many points as you can from the teams you think may be in and around you come the end of the season.  They’re really important – points against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, they’re bonuses.”  Anthony Pilkington, Pink Un November 2012

AWAY
Aston Villa 1-1 3-2 1-0 0-1 X 0-3
Wigan 30/03/2013 2-2 3-2 2-2 19/05/2013 X

ominousi dont share your faith in getting points from villa at home, lambert will have them frothing at the mouth, if city dont have it sown up before then they are in serious 5h1t3

"...if city don''t have it sewn up then they are in..."

''they''? Surely "we"?

Funny how people start despise their own manager and team so much, they even subconsciously start to dissociate themselves from the club.

Request for the OP to update following last weekend.

This bump is dedicated to BW''s Cat/Dog/Cat again. His recent temporary pant-wetting was a beautiful demonstration that rather than "Fans'' lack of ambition holding us back", the saying should be "some fans'' early arrogance leading to unhelpful negativity in tough times".

QUOTE G A47

"His recent temporary pant-wetting was a beautiful demonstration that rather than "Fans'' lack of ambition holding us back", the saying should be "some fans'' early arrogance leading to unhelpful negativity in tough times."

Very well put.

Gladly!“We said this at the start. Realistically there are going to be eight teams that fight it out and it’s almost can you win that mini-league, because if you do then you’ll be alright.  I’d take this position we are in now come the end of the season.” Russell Martin, Pink Un October 24th 2012

Wigan 8 17 2.13
Southampton 9 15 1.67
Aston Villa 8 11 1.38
Norwich City 8 9 1.13
QPR 8 8 1.00
Reading 7 2 0.29
I wouldn''t take this position come the end of the season, but we''ll beat Reading, draw with Villa and all will be well.

AWAY
Wigan 1-0 2-2 3-2 2-2 19/05/2013 X
Reading v Southampton and QPR v Wigan looking interesting this weekend - presume we want QPR and Reading to win really, don''t we?

Let''s read the relegation mini-league runes this morning....

Away games: Reading LOST 1-0 to Southampton, LOST 1-0 to Aston Villa, LOST 3-2 to Wigan and drew 1-1 with QPR.Home games: Norwich DREW 1-1 with QPR, DREW 0-0 with Southampton and WON 2-1 against Wigan.It looks like a 2-0 home victory to me.Fingers crossed...

AWAY
HOME Norwich City X 1-1 2-1 0-0 04/05/2013 2-1
QPR 0-0 X 1-1 1-3 1-1 1-1
Reading 0-0 WHO CARES? X 0-2 1-3 0-3
Well that feels better, doesn''t it?Reading are rock bottom and that''s all from this little game until next year.... maybe.  Look at Wigan though - top at taking points from "lesser teams" but that doesn''t help them much.

Wigan 8 18 2.25
Southampton 10 18 1.80
Aston Villa 8 11 1.38
Norwich City 9 12 1.33
QPR 9 9 1.00
Reading 8 2 0.25

Indeed Wigan, Villa and Reading''s PPG are flattered by not updating their numbers of games played. Unless I''m mistaken, Villa should sit one place below us in this chart, giving an intriguing hint (for the superstitious / wishful thinking) towards the final three come the end of May?

Apologies.  I had been in the pub to watch the game and I''m not one of those to stand at the back sipping tap water.

Wigan 9 18 2.00
Southampton 10 18 1.80
Aston Villa 8 11 1.38
Norwich City 9 12 1.33
QPR 9 9 1.00
Reading 9 2 0.22
I still find it surprising that Wigan have taken 18 from these 9 games and fewer points from the other 24 games, but therein lies the mystical wonderment of the Relegation Mini League.  Tune in again next season to pour your scorn.

[quote user="Mister Chops"] Look at Wigan though - top at taking points from "lesser teams" but that doesn''t help them much.[/quote]It will if Villa fail to get one more point from Man Utd (0), Chelsea(0), ourselves (0) and the Mackems(1) than Wigan get from their next four fixtures- Tottenham(0), West Brom(3), Swansea(1), Manc ity(0).

Come the final day this table tells me that unless Villa are somehow 4+ points clear of Wigan I''ll be picking up £180 from Paddy Power and this years quid from my brother in law.[<:o)]

My points predictions in brackets...

No teams from the North-East made it into the arbitrarily selected mini-league this season, which is just as well.Good heavens, what a mess.

Wigan 9 18 2.00
Southampton 10 18 1.80
Aston Villa 9 14 1.56
Norwich City 10 12 1.20
QPR 10 10 1.00
Reading 10 3 0.30

AWAY
HOME Norwich City X 1-1 2-1 0-0 1-2 2-1
Reading 0-0 0-0 X 0-2 1-3 0-3

City 1st, come on down - and bring your ever-present pomposity pistol.

AWAY
HOME Norwich City X 1-1 2-1 0-0 1-2 2-1
Reading 0-0 0-0 X 0-2 1-3 0-3
Wigan 1-0 2-2 3-2 2-2 2-2 X

Wigan 10 19 1.90
Southampton 10 18 1.80
Aston Villa 10 15 1.50