Sign in to follow this  
Brucie

Last night's game - a few observations and maybe a rant....

I have read some of the ludicrous bildge spilt over this board since yesterdays game and I feel compelled to add my own point of view. I dont get to many games on a Saturday anymore due to other commitments and also historically being committed to playing football myself on a Saturday, I do however try and get to Midweek games when I can.

I realise that to some the fact I am not there "week in, week out" means that my opinion is likely to already be disguarded by some on this board but here goes....

I cannot believe some of the negativity I hear spouted at our players, I was a Season Ticket Holder in the dark days of Hamilton, Rioch, Grant etc and I can not remember ever having a group of players so committed to the shirt as we do now. Their achievments over the past 3 years will go down in Norwich City history and rightly so. The difference is that now we are a PL team you are not going to win games through running yourself into the ground alone, we need to be technically better and it is clear Hughton is working on this. We passed the ball well last night and at times played some great stuff.

What do you think Hughton would have wanted from last night? He would have told the players to ensure that they go through but not to kill themselves I would imagine. Regardless of what people think the PL is our priority and so it should be. This is the first time we have progressed into the 3rd round in 5 years so as far as I am concerned that is job done for the evening.

If you rewind a year we were just bombed out by MK Dons in the same competition. If you compare the side fielded that night with last nights it is clear that we have a much improved squad. I have to agree that we didnt look a major goal scoring threat last night but there were plenty of positives (Tierney, Francomb, Turner was much improved, Rudd, Hoolahan, Fox).

This is a great time to be a NCFC fan and its about time some of our supporters started enjoying it. The club is in great shape behind the scenes, we have a young, talented squad (still to be added to) and we have a good manager. Paul Lambert was great for the club and his achievements will maybe never be matched, he is however no longer our manager and Hughton deserves time to put his own stamp on the squad (something he is now doing). A fresh pair of eyes may be what the likes of Martin and Morison need and while they are wearing a yellow shirt they will get my support.

I think some of our supporters need to realise that football is all about opinions (at any level) and that at this present time the only opinion that matters when it comes to our playing squad is that of Chris Hughton so learn to accept it and just worry about making a difference where you can - by supporting the players at FCR.

P.S. Canary Call?? Where do we find these idiots?!

Good post, been saying some of that stuff my self quite regularly.

The only thing I have issue is you saying your opinion is going to be disregarded, thats a load of rubbish. Anyone who would seriously do that isn''t worth your time anyway.

People need to think back to the days of Brellier, Sibierski, Gow, De Waard, Derveld, Fotheringham etc and just realise how lucky we are now.

Excellent post, a strong rebuttal to the usual negative tripe on this board. It''s important that we enjoy where we are, this is the most exciting time to be a Norwich fan in a very long while.

Some people are living on past memories of how they supported when they were kids.   If you went to football in the sixties there was not a huge amount of excitement - some good players - but plenty for the moaners to have a moan at.    If you started supporting in the mid nineties, you will have had quite afew years of mediocrity to moan at, then two years of success then more mediocrity.    I''m lucky, I started supporting in the early seventies, just as things started getting interesting - positive and attractive football, not all  that much to complain about until 1995.  25 years of positive football.   Its ingrained in me that we play attractive attacking football - the years of mediocrity just blips until we returned to that.  If you started supporting when we were in the midst of the mediocrity - does that mean that deep down you think that is the norm - and that we will always return to that.    

I always remember when I started watching (late sixties) things were just beginning to happen - but all around me there were more moans than anything else.   In the seventies we had alot more fun, a lot less to moan at, the eighties were a continuation of that, right up to 94.    After that the moaning became much more prevalent again - understandibly - so if you started watching then, it must have seemed that mediocrity was the norm.

Get to the present day and present mix of supporters - we have a conflict - those expecting us to be attractive, attacking, successful, and those expecting that we will return to mediocrity.     

To me we are back to the attractive, successful state that I regard as being what the club is all about.   To some other, I suspect, they are just waiting for the bubble to burst and we return to what they expect us to be like - mediocre.  

Which side of the fence are you??   

Fantastic post, OP. Anyone would have thought we''d have lost the game last night with the amount of whinging and moaning that''s going on on this forum.

I agree. I thought last night was a job well done. We put out a second string team with a couple of players still returning to fitness. We played some very nice stuff in patches and we won without really busting a gut. I never felt we would lose and always thought we had an extra gear should we need to use it. Fox got 90 minutes under his belt and looked decent so all in all it was a succesful evening.

Brucie - Just felt that your positivity deserved another post rather than the moaning bunch that I regularly endure on this forum. Top views mate, Top views!

Many Norwich are renowned for being over negative and expecting the unrealistic!

While we wern''t that good last night, we were good enough, solid enough and showed the right atitiude towards the game. These are all elements we didn''t show against MK Franchisers and Leicester last season in the cup!

[quote user="Brucie"]

I have read some of the ludicrous bildge spilt over this board since yesterdays game and I feel compelled to add my own[/quote]

Well, indeed.

[quote user="Brucie"]What do you think Hughton would have wanted from last night? He would have told the players to ensure that they go through but not to kill themselves I would imagine.[/quote]Yes, that would have been sensible advice.[quote user="Brucie"]I have to agree that we didnt look a major goal scoring threat last night but there were plenty of positives (Tierney, Francomb, Turner was much improved, Rudd, Hoolahan, Fox).[/quote]Nothing to do with the fact we were playing lower league opposition at home?[quote user="Brucie"]I think some of our supporters need to realise that football is all about opinions (at any level)[/quote]But you reserve the right to label opinions as "ludicrous bilge" if you don''t agree with them.

[quote user="Brucie"]P.S. Canary Call?? Where do we find these idiots?![/quote]

With you on that one.

Brilliant post OP - I started going to Carrow Road in 1976 so had quite a few good years, and thought it would always be like that!  Not so, but we are back now, and the world has changed!People expect instant results, and if you play lower league sides, you should obviously win - and probably by a 7 goal margin!There are so many more variables than that in football and I assume that, to make such comments, the people that make them have played football (at some level) and always won comfortably in cup games by a very high margin!   Raised games etc play apart - and it''s football - that''s what keeps us talking!