Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Tettey & Tactics

According to The EDP''s Paddy Davitt, Tettey has only had 3 training sessions and so Spurs might come a little too soon for him to feature.

Interestingly Hughton has told him that he will be competing for one of the "2" slots in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Also note this in Paddy''s conversation with Tettey - means that potential striker signong may not be top of Hughton''s agenda if he only wants to play one stirker.

Paddy Davitt@paddyjdavitt

Most interestin thing was boss told him he is looking 2 operate in a 4-2-3-1 set up - with him vying for 1 of the ''2'' slots

No real suprise in the 4231 given the strength of attacking midfielders we have - was entriely to be expected.

However we will be playing 442 too so will need striking options.

As far as CMS is concerned he has been doing that for Brighton so knows the role and scored,   so he would fit in...  

From a Brighton fan: "He''s good, lots of effort, quick, strong, never gives up, but we pass it

around, he prefers long balls over to chase. We''ve finally given up playing him up top on his own and he now looks twice the player. Alongside Holt he will get 10 goals easy."

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

No real suprise in the 4231 given the strength of attacking

midfielders we have - was entriely to be expected.

However we will be playing 442 too so will need striking options.

[/quote]

A major worry, our only consistently scoring striker, Grant Holt has always been poor as a lone frontman.  [quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]As far as CMS is concerned he has been doing that for Brighton so

knows the role and scored,   so he would fit in...  [/quote]If reports from Brighton are accurate, most of the reason for his poor form last season was put down to him being played up front alone. The result, an extremely poor tally of 9 goals in 43 Championship games.

Despite the Fulham debacle and the fact every one of our fans seems to now think 1 up front can;t work that formation could work very well for us in my opinion:

Ruddy

Whitaker Bassong Barnett Garrido

Tettey/Johnson  Fox/Howson

Snodgrass/Bennett   Hoolahan/Butterfield Pilkington

Holt

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Despite the Fulham debacle and the fact every one of our fans seems to now think 1 up front can;t work that formation could work very well for us in my opinion:

Ruddy

Whitaker Bassong Barnett Garrido

Tettey/Johnson  Fox/Howson

Snodgrass/Bennett   Hoolahan/Butterfield Pilkington

Holt

[/quote]

Agree with you; I thought the formation at the Fulham game did not work because we played 4-5-1, where no-one was close to Holt. If we play 1 up front, Hoolahan (Butterfield maybe) must play alongside. I would add that if Morison finds his form from the start of last season he could play as the one upfront with Hoolahan next to him; I think Morison retains the ball better than Holt (Holt nearly always tries to draw the foul whereas Morison tries to head it on or control it).

But I would hope we play 2 up front at home against the lower teams, something like:

Ruddy

Whittaker/Martin              Bassong/Bennett         Barnett/Turner              Garrido/Tierney

Snodgrass/Bennett           Tettey/Johnson             Howson/Fox                 Pilkington

Holt/Morison              Jackson/New Striker