Sign in to follow this  
Soldier on

FAO Ricardo Re new signings :-

I have seen you post on multiple threads over the summer that we will only be signing 4 players this summer indicating that was what you have been told by somebody. Care to share who this was?

For what its worth I would put my mortgage on there being more new signings before August 31st regardless of what you have or havent been told. We have the biggest transfer budget ever and undoubtedly improved wages/contracts have eaten into that. Nevertheless the club budgeted to finish last and finished 12th which amounts to almost 7 million worth of extra revenue. Thus far we have signed :-

Turner (2 million)

Butterfield (1.3 million)

Snodgrass (3 million)

Whittaker (free although obviously a significant signing on fee.

We have lost

Drury

Naughton

Whitbread

Ayala (100k loan fee our way)

Wilbraham.

Last summer/season we signed

Naughton (loan)

De Laet (loan)

Vaughan (2 million)

Morison (2.8 million)

Ayala (800k)

Bennett (2 million)

Pilkington (2 million)

Johnson (signing on fee)

Howson (2 million)

Bennett (3 million)

We clearly have money to spend Hughton has said he wants more signings so why are you so adamant there wont be??

Crofts (300-500k our way_

Absolutely spot on Soldier on. Hughton needs time to see precisely what he needs and these deals take time to put in place. I expect two possibly three signings plus one or two out.

I think the ''clearing the decks'' (Ayala & Crofts) is the biggest clue rather than any speculative transfer fees, which only have one certainty - they are ALWAYS very wide of the mark.

We have 23 senior players in the squad, so two spaces (so far) have been made, which suggests at least two players coming in

I feel that the speculation about more incomings before the end of the window is correct. McNally himself said, at the time of PL''s departure, that the Club were willing to invest "heavily" in new players. This hasn''t really happened.

I feel we need a striker and a defender to fill those two spaces in the ranks. I could only dream of Naughton and Defoe though. There could well be a surprise in the pipeline before Fulham.

All this talk of only 25 places makes me laugh. you can have senior players you do not include in that 25, you can go back to it in January and adjust then.

So I do not see an issue with us adding more and putting those who will not play out of the 25. Yes it is wages but we can then hope the player understands that for their sake they need a loan move. People always say the players have all the control, this is where a club can say it is in control. Yes you get your wages but you are not in the immediate plans.

I hope for new signing ASAP.

I suggest it maybe a case of a ''transfer chain'' as many clubs do not seem to have done much in the way of transfers.

Therefore we could have the situation where another club is interested in say Barnett but we are not prepared to let him go until we have secured another central defender ....... who is at a club with the same situation.

So I don''t believe a club that has thrown everything (including the kitchen sink) at getting where we are now is going simply put their collective feet up and believe that nothing more now needs to be done. The four players mentioned elsewhere may well be the four who we have already signed and were lined up way back, as with Snodgrass.

Three weeks is a ling time in football

[quote user="Soldier on"]I have seen you post on multiple threads over the summer that we will only be signing 4 players this summer indicating that was what you have been told by somebody. Care to share who this was?

For what its worth I would put my mortgage on there being more new signings before August 31st regardless of what you have or havent been told. We have the biggest transfer budget ever and undoubtedly improved wages/contracts have eaten into that. Nevertheless the club budgeted to finish last and finished 12th which amounts to almost 7 million worth of extra revenue. Thus far we have signed :-

Turner (2 million)

Butterfield (1.3 million)

Snodgrass (3 million)

Whittaker (free although obviously a significant signing on fee.

We have lost

Drury

Naughton

Whitbread

Ayala (100k loan fee our way)

Wilbraham.

Last summer/season we signed

Naughton (loan)

De Laet (loan)

Vaughan (2 million)

Morison (2.8 million)

Ayala (800k)

Bennett (2 million)

Pilkington (2 million)

Johnson (signing on fee)

Howson (2 million)

Bennett (3 million)

We clearly have money to spend Hughton has said he wants more signings so why are you so adamant there wont be??

Crofts (300-500k our way_[/quote]Err, No. Sorry but I do not reveal sources. It was told to me in confidence by someone I respect and someone fairly close to the action who experience has told me is more often right than wrong. I am not trying to "big up" my source but I am happy that what I was told was genuine at the time.In June I was told 4 signings was the aim and that 2 had already been approached in a preliminary manner. I presumed this meant contact with agents but I am only guessing and have no factual evidence.  IMO these 2 were Snoddy and the Barnsley lad but again it''s my speculation.Turner and Whittaker make up the 4 but here again I''m not positive that Whittaker counts being as he was on a free. If not then there may be another but I wouldn''t count on it.You rightly comment about making space in the squad however I think this may only be to make space for loans. I would love to think Naughton is still a possible but it may just be my wishful thinking. There may indeed be more before the Aug 31st deadline but I have no reason to disbelieve what I was told. Circumstances change all the time but the original plan was 4 not the 7 or 8 that many people thought.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So four permanent transfers Ricardo?

I''d be happy with a couple of loans, a LB/either side FB. And someone else.[/quote]I can only repeat what I was told in June. If anything has changed since then I can''t say. If Hughton now feels he needs more then I am sure that the money will be made available.I''m with you on the fullback situation Ginge. More important than a striker IMO but then I''m not the manager.Please Mr Hughton try to bring Naughton back.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Gingerpele"]So four permanent transfers Ricardo? I''d be happy with a couple of loans, a LB/either side FB. And someone else.[/quote]

I can only repeat what I was told in June. If anything has changed since then I can''t say. If Hughton now feels he needs more then I am sure that the money will be made available.

I''m with you on the fullback situation Ginge. More important than a striker IMO but then I''m not the manager.

Please Mr Hughton try to bring Naughton back.
[/quote]

I don''t know, but I would be extremely surprised if Hughton finalised his transfer plans and set them in stone as early as June. At that point, as a manager from another division, he only had a load of DVDs to go on. He hadn''t seen the players train, let alone play. I assume he has as much as anything been using the friendlies to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the squad, and to see how players fit into his tactical plans.

In addition, stuff happens A week is a long time in football. Three weeks is an age. Coveted players turn out not to be not for sale. Players thought unattainable become available. There is always a last-minute frenzy as the big clubs sort themselves out, prompting a knock-on effect further down the food chain.

I really do believe that the Snodgrass and Butterfield signings were in place before Hughton arrived, so I would be very surprised if he did not splash some cash himself.....

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Gingerpele"]So four permanent transfers Ricardo?

I''d be happy with a couple of loans, a LB/either side FB. And someone else.[/quote]I can only repeat what I was told in June. If anything has changed since then I can''t say. If Hughton now feels he needs more then I am sure that the money will be made available.I''m with you on the fullback situation Ginge. More important than a striker IMO but then I''m not the manager.Please Mr Hughton try to bring Naughton back.[/quote]

Totally agree with this, I would love to see Naughton back here next season as we know he can play both at RB and at LB; both positions where I feel we are a bit short of quality.