Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

Surman signs new 3 year deal :)

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Its a clean slate with a new manager.  Surman has the challenge to get into the team and stay there.   We had glimpses of quite afew players last season who were very good in spells including Surman.    Hughton will have a more traditional approach and have a more settled team than the previous regime.  So Surman has the chance to be more of a regular than last season (if he finds the form).    At his best he is as good as anyone in the team.    

Ruddy

Martin Ayala Bennett Tierney

Bennett Howson Surman Pilkington

Vaughan   Morison (Holt)

Anybody??

[/quote]Hoolahan?

[quote user="Wiz"]Brilliant news, but didn''t the Sun say there was a players mutiny at City? [^o)][/quote]

Wasn''t this bullshit as demonstrated by Russell Martin''s comments following Lambert''s departure? [:#]

I have mixed

views on Surman. Is he a good squad member, probably yes. Would he be my first

choice starter in midfield, possibly not. The broader question much discussed

on this board is who would you like to see brought in this Summer? There was

considerable debate in that thread that we need a left back, right back, centre

half, defensive midfield player and one or two strikers dependent on the Holt

saga. With a budget of say between say £15m and £25m across the season – views seem

to differ on the exact amount – I would suggest that this amount is likely to

be more than swallowed up by the players above, especially as the idea is to

strengthen what we already have here. So I’m not convinced that Surman is a

natural starter nor for that matter do I think Martin is a natural starter, at

right back at least. Should both of these contracts have been renewed, yes,

because of our budget constraints discussed above.

My view of

Surman – based on missing only four games home and away last season – is that

he is a classy midfielder, especially going forward, Wolves away being the most

memorable performance from my perspective last season.  However, and acknowledging that he does cover

a lot of ground each match, he is a less effective player going back and

supporting the defence. I’m sure this is an area of our game that Hughton will

look to improve as I don’t think we can rely on scoring as many goals next

season as this. We therefore need to concede fewer goals!

Realistically,

the premier league looks stronger next year with the three teams coming up each

having bigger budgets than us and also replacing three relatively

weak teams. We will need squad players such as Surman but need new blood for

our starting eleven too.

From what I’ve

read, it does seem that Hughton is likely to look for a more settled team than

under Lambert. In terms of starting eleven, I’d go for:

Ruddy

New player –

Bennett – New player or Martin – Tierney

Pilkington –

Howson – New player or Johnson – Bennett

Hoolohan

Holt or new

player

Yes Surman is tidy when he is given the ball, but I think that he fails to assert himself enough to be a central midfielder, and lacks the pace and crossing ability to play wide on the left. He seems a laid back luxury player that is ''master of none'', not effective at anything in particular.Giving him a new 3 year contract isn''t really going to make him more hungry to do well.To some extent, Lansbury is a similar type of player, but the difference is that Lansbury is far more assertive and shows far more aggression to win the ball.I would much rather money was spent on a proper central midfielder or a proper wide player than someone who isn''t great at either.I also think that Russ Martin isn''t anything like good enough to regularly play as a full-back in the Premier League, but he is good cover for central defence.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Its a clean slate with a new manager.  Surman has the challenge to get into the team and stay there.   We had glimpses of quite afew players last season who were very good in spells including Surman.    Hughton will have a more traditional approach and have a more settled team than the previous regime.  So Surman has the chance to be more of a regular than last season (if he finds the form).    At his best he is as good as anyone in the team.    

Ruddy

Vaughan   Morison (Holt)

Anybody??

[/quote]

What''s interesting about that line up is that it is a very young team in the main and yet now has solid premiership experience. I think we''re in for a very exciting season if we can keep hold of our young guns.

Lansbury does sometimes show a little bit more "omph" but there was a reason (or reasons) why he couldn''t nail down a starting spot during the Championship season.

I''m guessing the main reason was because he gave the ball away cheaply too often. For the odd eye-catching through ball that he did play there were a lot more passes that weren''t the right choice.

Surman is far better at keeping the ball and combining with his colleagues. He does also cover a lot of ground - something which is often missed by those who see him as lightweight or a luxury player.

Great news - he is very much a touch  player, and probably unique in our club. Already he has shown how vital he is around the box and in our slick, quick passing game, and he covers more miles than any other squad player. (Wolves rated him, but felt he was light weight. To judge from some of his tackling, he has improved in this.)

I think, and others also, that he is still improving, and by 2015 should be at his peak.

Good news. Surman is technically a very good player and had some very good games last season. Personally I think he was one of the biggest victims of the Leicester debacle as he was playing superbly in the lead up to that game but never really recaptured his form after that.

A very good player and good to see him signing on for 3 years.

The one point i would agree with is that i''m not convinced he is quick enough for an out and out left wing position. would not be surprised to see him play in the centre more under Hughton where he will obviously have competition from Fox, Howson and Johnson.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="lake district canary"]

Ruddy

Vaughan   Morison (Holt)

Anybody??

[/quote]

What''s interesting about that line up is that it is a very young team in the main and yet now has solid premiership experience. I think we''re in for a very exciting season if we can keep hold of our young guns.

[/quote]

During these slightly unsettled times it is reasssuring to look at the above team because it demonstrates that even if Holt does go and even without us signing any new players this summer (which wont be the case obviously) we are still capable of putting out a very decent looking team. Our midfield options in particular look very strong and personally I think we will see a more settled midfield 4 next season 3 of which will be Bennett, Howson and Pilks. The fourth spot is up for grabs. If Johnson can rediscover his early and late season form then he has a chance but if not then Surman could take it. Personally though i think that a holding midfielder will be one of Hughton''s key targets.

Up front I can see us playing with a lone striker and Wes in behind more often, especially away from home.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]

My view of Surman – based on missing only four games home and away last season – is that he is a classy midfielder, especially going forward, Wolves away being the most memorable performance from my perspective last season.  However, and acknowledging that he does cover a lot of ground each match, he is a less effective player going back and supporting the defence. I’m sure this is an area of our game that Hughton will look to improve as I don’t think we can rely on scoring as many goals next season as this. We therefore need to concede fewer goals!

[/quote]

Good post HC.  I agree that Surman could enhance his game by working on his defensive aspects of his play such as tracking back with his midfield opponents. He does have good ball control and that helps him to score a handy number of goals.

Agree that we need a RB, LB, CB, S (two if Holt goes) and a midfield player.

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d be worried if CM was offered a 3 year deal but not Surman.[/quote]

Cody isn''t with us anymore.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]  I agree that Surman could enhance his game by working on his defensive aspects of his play such as tracking back with his midfield opponents. [/quote]

Which is something that he already does loads of.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d be worried if CM was offered a 3 year deal but not Surman.[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed, so he is not the player I''m referring to. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Chris Martin?

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]  I agree that Surman could enhance his game by working on his defensive aspects of his play such as tracking back with his midfield opponents. [/quote]

Which is something that he already does loads of.

[/quote]

But not well enough e.g. Blackburn''s first goal against us at Blackburn.

BTW., I thought Drury being a senior pro claimed the error but I dont think he was to blame for Surman leaving the goalscorer to carry on his run into our penalty box. How many games did Surman start after  the Blackburn away game?

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And there was me thinking you were obsessed with that player. Wonder where I got that from.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chris Martin?
[/quote]

Exactly but in the eyes of PM, there surely is only one CM !