Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is it just me who's non plussed regarding Hughton?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Why all the secrecy I wonder!?

Two of the 5 or 6 are McDermott and Adkins

[/quote]Indeed they are two of the candidates who I would have liked us to have spoken to prior to giving Hughton the job.Secrecy because that way it could just be possible to have a sensible conversation on the subject, something I hold out little hope of having where all can comment. Indeed a few have already got around to spitting their dummies out above.

God that''s a pile of garbage - winning the championship at Newcastle and then being 11th when booted mid-season is hardly ''the least of expectations'', certainly not in the eyes of all Newcastle supporters. Nor was taking over a disheartened and part-asset stripped Brum side and getting to the playoffs.

I would love to see this list of 5 better options, at least those who would come to the club. Hughton is and was far and away the best option. Period. But whether it works out only time will tell.

As for Holloway, he would have been somewhere on my ''list'', but lower than Hughton: if he was such a good bet, why is it that all the clubs searching for a manager in the last 12 months have so far not gone for him? this includes decent sides like us, WBA, Wolves (mid season), West Ham (last season), Sunderland, swansea and several others,

So Newcastle were not the bookies favourites and everyones favourites outside of Wearside to walk away with the Championship in 2010 then?102 points for the Geordies in their only season outside the top tier since they were first promoted to the Premier League in 1993.Yes they had problems at the start of that season with Mike Ashley, but to claim that Newcastle were not one of the clear favourites to win promotion that season is well wide of the mark.

I admire Iain Holloway as a manager. I think he has done well to rebuild Blackpool after they went down. But I also wouldn''t want him to manage Norwich. The reason being that I don''t think he would learn or change his ways from the last time he was here with Blackpool. I think he would insist on playing his 4-3-3 system and wouldnt alter course. You have to be a bit cuter than that in order to survive. As for anyone honestly believing that Adkins or McDermott would join Norwich after having just achieved a promotion to the Premiership you are living in a complete fantasy land.

Hughton was the outstanding candidate for the job. He has done well in the two managerial roles he has been given. He has proven he can handle big expectations which go hand in hand with the Newcastle job. He has also proven that he can manage on a budget with Birmingham as well. Regardless of what we do in the summer the squad will still be predominantly British and I think we needed a British manager to motivate them and get the very best out of them. My final question to everyone on this board at the moment is. Who would you rather be? Swansea who as yet have appointed no one and are rumoured to be looking at the Wigan assistant manager or Dennis Bergkamp. WBA who have appointed a rookie manager or Norwich who have appointed someone experienced with a proven track record who knows the transfer market we are looking to shop in.

Being bookies favourites and actually going out and winning a title are hugely different things: don''t recall Reading and Saints being favourites for promotion, or us and Swansea.

The fact is that Hughton is much admired by fans of both Newcastle and Brum, he did well at both, he was one of the good options for our club and was not a low cost option. Why can''t people just get behind him? Most will, but I get the impression that we''ll get the usual drip-drip of negative stuff from some...

Just remember how low Newcastle were feeling after they went down. Hughton really dragged that club up by the bootlaces. Don''t believe me here are some of the pre season previews:

The Guardian

Caretaker manager Chris Hughton

One to watch Nile Ranger, 18

The club seemingly no one wants to own, manage or take a relegation-related pay-cut for. The supporters will remain loyal and their team is sure to draw crowds to every ground they visit. Unfortunately that may owe more to morbid curiosity than the talent on show.

Prediction Mid-table mediocrity

BBC Sport''s Rahul Shrivastava

How will they do? "Rudderless, Newcastle will struggle this season,"

The Telegraph

Championship fare: They will be the big scalp and leaving this division might not be as easy as the last. PREDICTION: Another roller-coaster of a season ending in the play-offs.

Sky Sports

Chances: The Magpies have the fan base and reputation to stroll through this division, but a summer of off-field uncertainty could have a detrimental effect on their season. The expected fire sale took a long time to even start and with still no confirmed manager, they look far from prepared for the challenges ahead.

Prediction: 8th

Football League Website

Many of these players have a soft centre and will not fancy a trip to Scunthorpe. I don''t expect them to do that well.

[Y][quote user="Tj"]

I''m optimistic, from what was avaliable at the time Hughton for me stands out as the type of manager we need and that fits the mould for what Mcnally and the Norwich board wants to achieve, continued progression without putting the club in financial jeapody.

He seems to be the logical successor to Lambert for continuation of keeping the squad playing together as a team. From press reports, other forums, players and fans comments he''s earned a huge amount of respect for not only what he achieved at Newcastle and Birmingham under very tough conditions of transfer embargoes and limited funds, but also being a nice bloke as well.

When he was appointed one of the phrases I remember was pretty much "evolution not revelution". He''s got the basis of a very good young team with hopefully not big player egos to deal with. I personally think Lambert was one of the best manager we''ve ever had, but I also think Hughton could be the man to take us to the next level which would be consolidating out position in the premier league, similar to what David Moyes and Everton have done.

[/quote]

Tj, excellent post & spot on!

Unfortunately, it''s far too positive for some posters on here, so don''t be surprised..........

Now Jacko! There''s no place on here for real history. We''ve got hindsight now so history can be whatever we want it to be. I think you''d be better finding another forum because this one will send you as nutty as me[:''(]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now Jacko! There''s no place on here for real history. We''ve got hindsight now so history can be whatever we want it to be. I think you''d be better finding another forum because this one will send you as nutty as me[:''(]

[/quote]

Couldnt agree more Nutty. I went to university in the North East at the time as well. So I saw first hand the absolute choas they were in after being relegated. To be honest it made our struggles in League 1 look like a picnic. Particularly when you factor in that they got drummed 6-1 away at Leyton Orient in pre season and Ashley was desperate trying to flog the club. Of course they had a fanbase and budget that were almost unprecedented in the Championship. But to mould a broken club full of disfunctional individuals into a coherent unit that steamrolled the divsion was a great achievement. Particularly when you consider that he was initally only holding the fort as everyone assumed it was an absolute certainty that Shearer would return as manager.

Nice to see things don''t change. Its also nice to see people doubting the new manager, even before he''s barely started work. Some Norwich fans will ALWAYS find something to moan about, but WHY do they do it?
*shakeshead*

Well done, Jacko, for digging up those reviews. Does show what a sterling job Hughton did in double-quick time in pretty trying circumstances.

After the Birmingham debacle, hopefully Hughton will have a slightly easier job here.

All I can say is that at the Press Conference he claimed that he wants to win and he wants his team to play football. To judge from his achievement at Newcastle, and the exciting players he had brought in, he does not subscribe to the long ball/big-striker approach.

He is a quiet man, but articulate. He has been highly regarded by his players - see the recent statement bny Curtis Davies. Above all, he has achieved things on a shoe-string budget.  I believe in suspending judgement until he has been with us for several months, and in the meantime, for what it is worth, he has my full support.

He was not my choice, but I have seen and heard nothing since which makes me doubt that we have the best man available.

I would have preferred Laudrup but will support Hughton, I would be slightly unhappy if he went to Swansea though......

Must admit Wiz that I was expecting something more like his predecessor. You know, like laughing and joking, possibly doing the sword dance in the centre circle while singing "Eye of the Tiger" (accompanying himself on accordian and spoons)  and then a comedy monologue slagging off all his previous employers and predicting a top 4 finish next season.Instead we got a calm and professional interview from an experienced manager who made some suitable and sensible comments. Seriously, no-one knows quite how things will work out. I''ve been supporting this club for around 50 years and most managers we have appointed have met with mixed reactions initially. Some worked out - some didnt. Its always a bit of a gamble but Chris Hughton has a decent record. He is our manager now and deserves to have our support.

quote user=i''m spartacus i always used to think ian hollaway was a complete prick  and then i read his autobiography and this confirmed it: D /quote

Tottaly unfair comment [:@] if you had been dealt the life this guy has, wouldn''t you be able to put football into some kind of prespective?

I''ve been following this thread without posting on it, mainly because I thought that it, on the face of it, looked like an odds on cert to develop into a slanging match involving the usual suspects.

To my surprise it has not . For what it''s worth, my take on this is that pretty much any appointment of a manager is something of a gamble. There were those Man U fans who were far from happy when Fergie was appointed. Though I was not a regular on this forum back in Aug 2009, I seem to remember (and no doubt those who were will correct me if I''m wrong) that there was some grumbling when Lambert was appointed..." he''s only ever managed some small Scottish team, Wycombe and the mighty Col U  , etc etc."

I cannot see why anyone would be "nonplussed" about Hughton''s appointment . He seems to tick most of the boxes that would rationally be required in our situation. Holloway did manage one season in the Prem, but it ended in relegation. On the basis that we were never seriously going to get in a big name to replace Lambert, it just appears that CH is as good a compromise as we could have made. Let''s give the guy a chance ?

[quote user="Hog"]I would have preferred Laudrup but will support Hughton, I would be slightly unhappy if he went to Swansea though......[/quote]Based on what?Hughton''s record has got Laudrup''s beat hands down, and he seems a perfect fit with the clubs ethos and background.I''m not knocking Laudrup that much by the way, simply wondered why you thought he was a better choice?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Hog"]I would have preferred Laudrup but will support Hughton, I would be slightly unhappy if he went to Swansea though......[/quote]Based on what?Hughton''s record has got Laudrup''s beat hands down, and he seems a perfect fit with the clubs ethos and background.I''m not knocking Laudrup that much by the way, simply wondered why you thought he was a better choice?[/quote]

It is interesting that Laudrup''s last three jobs have all only lasted 1 season though. I am not saying he failed in all those jobs (who knows what the internal politics of each club was) but that doesnt bode well.

Obviously, Wizard thought too much time had gone by without someone paying attention to his thread, so he duly headed to the barn to milk the cow.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Obviously, Wizard thought too much time had gone by without someone paying attention to his thread, so he duly headed to the barn to milk the cow.[/quote]

Who?

Thanks for bringing a bucket btw.

The usual candidates tried to turn it in to a slanging match Eric, but certain people have obviously not decided to play their game.I see that Jacko confirmed that Newcastle despite their troubles were always likely to have the biggest following ever in the Championship along with one of the biggest budgets to go with it. Therefore they were always one of the bookies favourites for an immediate return to the Premiership and anything less than that would have been seen as failure.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m still really interested to learn who these 5 or 6 better options were Greeny.

[/quote]

Adkins and McDermott were 2 of them, but he is keeping the other 3 or 4 a secret because he doesn''t to spoil the thread.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m still really interested to learn who these 5 or 6 better options were Greeny.

[/quote]

Adkins and McDermott were 2 of them, but he is keeping the other 3 or 4 a secret because he doesn''t to spoil the thread.

[/quote]

I thought they were your suggestions? And do they count as one or two?? Only askin''...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought they were your suggestions? And do they count as one or two?? Only askin''...

[/quote]

I believe Greeny, 5h1t is that his name?  You don''t think? Co uld be couldn''t he?..... anyway this dude hinted at the promoted clubs from the Champs in one of his post but did not specifically name Adkins and McDermott, but I did to which he admitted they were 2 of his ''better'' options.  He then stated that the other 3 or 4 would remain a secret to keep the thread on topic and not spoil it for anyone.  Very noble!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe Greeny, 5h1t is that his name?  You don''t think? Co uld be couldn''t he?..... anyway this dude hinted at the promoted clubs from the Champs in one of his post but did not specifically name Adkins and McDermott, but I did to which he admitted they were 2 of his ''better'' options.  He then stated that the other 3 or 4 would remain a secret to keep the thread on topic and not spoil it for anyone.  Very noble!

[/quote]

P.S. they count as 2[Y][:)]

Cheers ''slim[Y]

Looks like I''ll never find out but I think he deserves recognition for services to the forum[W]

[quote user="Wiz"]So far, apart for the odd exception, I have been very impressed by the sensible discussion on this subject. [Y][/quote]

Are those ganja leaves in your avatar?

If so, that would explain certain things..........

OTBC