Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is it just me who's non plussed regarding Hughton?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Wiz"]So far, apart for the odd exception, I have been very impressed by the sensible discussion on this subject. [Y][/quote]

Are those ganja leaves in your avatar?

If so, that would explain certain things..........

OTBC

[/quote]

No they''re not Bly, I often get asked that question, the animated avatar is called a South American rain forest.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Wiz"]So far, apart for the odd exception, I have been very impressed by the sensible discussion on this subject. [Y][/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

No they''re not Bly, I often get asked that question, the animated avatar is called a South American rain forest.

[/quote]

Weren''t you the poster who was always banging on about "In Lambert we trust" ?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Isn''t that a top source of grade A dope, Wiz. ?

If it''s green , comes from Colombia and looks like ganja , the chances are it IS ganja..... 

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Isn''t that a top source of grade A dope, Wiz. ?

If it''s green , comes from Colombia and looks like ganja , the chances are it IS ganja..... 

[/quote]

Well on this one....

In Babes we trust[;)]

Wiz, I was looking at the Villatalk website messageboard and happened to stumble across a poster called Wiz sounding very much like the Colchester fans we had on here when PL joined us. I also looked at some of the Villa fans responses and they gave this messageboard a kicking based on a select few posters opinions.

Things move on we have a new manager lets get behind him, most fans were unanimous and so were the club judging by the speed it took us to appoint.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Wiz, I was looking at the Villatalk website messageboard and happened to stumble across a poster called Wiz sounding very much like the Colchester fans we had on here when PL joined us. I also looked at some of the Villa fans responses and they gave this messageboard a kicking based on a select few posters opinions. Things move on we have a new manager lets get behind him, most fans were unanimous and so were the club judging by the speed it took us to appoint.[/quote]

Yep, thats me, sounding bitter?......too damn right my friend.

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote] Weren''t you the poster who was always banging on about "In Lambert we trust" ?[/quote]

No, that was First Wizard, a different kind of wizard........he left with Lambert. [;)]

[quote user="Lincs CR"]I stopped reading when Holloway was mentioned... hire a bloke who got relegated with Blackpool then failed to bring them back up, rather than our current manager who worked wonders with Newcastle and was rather unfairly sacked IMO (many many Toon fans would agree with that too).[/quote]

You''re being very unfair on Holloway. He made great strides with Blackpool with little money and built his own squad, getting promotion and almost staying in the Prem and probably would have done but for the tapping up of Charlie Adam midway through that season. Hughton inherited a squad of very good players such as Barton, Carroll, N''Zogbia, Nolan, Ameobi etc which were really too good to be relegated but by poor management were.

I would have preferred Holloway but am willing to accept Hughton, but I do think some overdo what he has achieved. After all, Holloway got to the play-off final again this season (and they were unlucky to lose) whereas Hughton didn''t. In my view any manager should have been able to get Newcastle promoted with the squad that he had. I hope he succeeds here but it''s not going to be easy at all.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Lincs CR"]I stopped reading when Holloway was mentioned... hire a bloke who got relegated with Blackpool then failed to bring them back up, rather than our current manager who worked wonders with Newcastle and was rather unfairly sacked IMO (many many Toon fans would agree with that too).[/quote]

You''re being very unfair on Holloway. He made great strides with Blackpool with little money and built his own squad, getting promotion and almost staying in the Prem and probably would have done but for the tapping up of Charlie Adam midway through that season. Hughton inherited a squad of very good players such as Barton, Carroll, N''Zogbia, Nolan, Ameobi etc which were really too good to be relegated but by poor management were.

I would have preferred Holloway but am willing to accept Hughton, but I do think some overdo what he has achieved. After all, Holloway got to the play-off final again this season (and they were unlucky to lose) whereas Hughton didn''t. In my view any manager should have been able to get Newcastle promoted with the squad that he had. I hope he succeeds here but it''s not going to be easy at all.

[/quote]Glad that somebody could see what I was saying Paul. I would expect that the majority of posters on here would have had enough about them to have got Newcastle promoted when Hughton did.  I do not think that he is an awful manager, but I agree that this coming season in charge of NCFC will be by far his biggest challenge as a manager yet.Holloway v Hughton? It is far more difficult to win promotion with Blackpool than it is with Birmigham, whatever financial troubles BCFC may or may not have. Holloway never had a good record prior to his time with Blackpool, but he has done an excellent job there for them and there are few who will be likely to match what he has done for the Lancashire club. How many managers will better what Hughton has done at both Birmingham and Newcastle I wonder?

For most of us, Hughton has arrived out of the blue. I for one, wondered at first and I suspect that there are more than a few Villa fans who wonder how Lambert will do there. We won''t actually know about Hughton here or Lambert therre until well into next season, but I found the views expressed by Joe Gallagher, a Birmingham legend as a player, in the following article in the Birmingham Post an interesting objective analysis of Hughton''s achievements and potential for the future.

http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/birmingham-city-fc/2012/06/14/blues-legend-joe-gallagher-sorry-to-see-chris-hughton-leave-birmingham-65233-31178993/?

Gallagher has no ax to grind now that Hughton has left, so perhaps this provides a more objective starting point than the ramblings of Wiz. It does for me at any rate.

[quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Why all the secrecy I wonder!?

Two of the 5 or 6 are McDermott and Adkins

[/quote]

Indeed they are two of the candidates who I would have liked us to have spoken to prior to giving Hughton the job.

[/quote]

Funnily enough i was speaking this morning to someone who uses Twitter which i do not and they said that these posts by Green Jack resemble posts on Twitter by Smudger even down to naming Adkins and McDermott on a list of half a dozen managers he like Green Jack would have preferred to Hughton.

Just saying that''s all.Probably just a remarkable coincidence. [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Why all the secrecy I wonder!?

Two of the 5 or 6 are McDermott and Adkins

[/quote]

Indeed they are two of the candidates who I would have liked us to have spoken to prior to giving Hughton the job.

[/quote]

Funnily enough i was speaking this morning to someone who uses Twitter which i do not and they said that these posts by Green Jack resemble posts on Twitter by Smudger even down to naming Adkins and McDermott on a list of half a dozen managers he like Green Jack would have preferred to Hughton.

Just saying that''s all.Probably just a remarkable coincidence. [;)]

[/quote]

Oh, you''re a suspisious soul Til. [:D]

I for one is more than a little pleased that Lambert has moved on. The constant speculation every time a possible vacancy came up was a little too much to much to put with. This says a lot about Lambert''s character - that he would jump at an offer, even a fairly uninspiring one like Villa - which indicates that he may not have been the best long term bet. So lets look on the bright side: it happened at the start of the close season, he was replaced before the players came back from their holidays and we get the schadenfeude that if he had been less impatient the managerial merry go round this year might have given him a better gig (Spurs, Everton??).

Now Hughton was never going to give Wiz the same bromance feel but he has all the characteristics of a good bet and seems a good bloke to boot. He may not have been top of anyone''s wish list but really neither would Adkins, Holloway and McDermott. IT would be very difficult to make a case for either of these three or Green Jack mysterious unknown candidates. McNally got it right with Lambert (at the time) and I am sure he has got it right again.

So Wiz can ask if we are nonplussed by Hughton but I cannot ask if anybody is nonplussed by Wiz.....why?, if I was abusive I could understand my post being deleted. In answerto the question sad as I am to see Lambert go I am happy with the appointment of Hughton.....

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]For most of us, Hughton has arrived out of the blue. I for one, wondered at first and I suspect that there are more than a few Villa fans who wonder how Lambert will do there. We won''t actually know about Hughton here or Lambert therre until well into next season, but I found the views expressed by Joe Gallagher, a Birmingham legend as a player, in the following article in the Birmingham Post an interesting objective analysis of Hughton''s achievements and potential for the future. http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/birmingham-city-fc/2012/06/14/blues-legend-joe-gallagher-sorry-to-see-chris-hughton-leave-birmingham-65233-31178993/? Gallagher has no ax to grind now that Hughton has left, so perhaps this provides a more objective starting point than the ramblings of Wiz. It does for me at any rate.[/quote]

Yep - that''s exactly where he came from!

Thanks, that article underpins my thoughts that we have acquired a high-quality replacement manager.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]So Wiz can ask if we are nonplussed by Hughton but I cannot ask if anybody is nonplussed by Wiz.....why?, if I was abusive I could understand my post being deleted. In answerto the question sad as I am to see Lambert go I am happy with the appointment of Hughton.....[/quote]

But its not just Hoots to consider is it SOB?

You also have to factor in Calderwood and Trollope, are you seriously happy with them too?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]So Wiz can ask if we are nonplussed by Hughton but I cannot ask if anybody is nonplussed by Wiz.....why?, if I was abusive I could understand my post being deleted. In answerto the question sad as I am to see Lambert go I am happy with the appointment of Hughton.....[/quote]

You also have to factor in Calderwood and Trollope, are you seriously happy with them too?

[/quote]

May i ask what you thought about Gary Karsa when Lambert first brought him along from Colchester.Were you happy with that appointment and had you even heard of him ? To this day i really have no idea what he did or does exactly so maybe just a tad unfair to make judgements on Calderwood and Trollope based on past experiences.Karsa works with Lambert so based on last season at Birmingham Calderwood and Trollope work with Hughton.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Until you have physically gone down to Colney and seen them how can you make any judgement about their abilities as coaches. Coaching and management are very different things.

Wiz - It maybe that Hughton performs better with Calderwood and Trollope by his side, in the way it maybe that Lambert performs better with Culverhouse and Karsa by his side. You have to asume that Culverhouse will follow Lambert to Villa, if he does not it will be interesting to see how he does without him. Great manager as he was Clough was nothing without Peter Taylor by his side. As with all these things only time will tell and I prefer to reserve judgement and give people a chance.......

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Wiz - It maybe that Hughton performs better with Calderwood and Trollope by his side, in the way it maybe that Lambert performs better with Culverhouse and Karsa by his side. You have to asume that Culverhouse will follow Lambert to Villa, if he does not it will be interesting to see how he does without him. Great manager as he was Clough was nothing without Peter Taylor by his side. As with all these things only time will tell and I prefer to reserve judgement and give people a chance.......

[/quote]

SOB- Anyone who plays Holt on the wing (ie Calderwood) doesn''t deserve a second chance imho.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Ok Wiz, assuming that Grant Holt stays there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that Hughton will play him on the wing, no matter what Calderwood says.......[/quote]

[Y]

Quite frankly Grant Holt is not bad at all out wide - or on the wing.

One of the best crossers of a ball we''ve had for quite some time.

[:P]

OTBC

None of us wanted Sir Paul to leave. He''s gone and goes with my sincere thanks and admiration. In my view Hughton''s appointment offers the best opportunity we have to stabilise our club in the premier. Unfortunately, I fear Grant will leave and again will go with thanks from me at least. And yes he has a great cross on him! Btw as this is my first post I think I need to admit that I''m not a great judge of managerial talent thinking at the time at least that Roeder was a going to be a good appointment! So leave it to the professionals - David McNally has done better than OK so far!