Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Michael Oliver... what a useless

referee, he has just denied Fulham a stone wall penalty at Man Utd in the dying minutes, this scheme of quick fire, high ranking refs is crap.

Buckled under the pressure of the decision. Little boy amongst men. Still not exactly stone wall.

Anyway, my gripe is with Oliver, as you say he is a boy amongst men and to think he is qualified to represent us at world level frightens me.

It''s a fair point, i agree it''s a penalty. But what goes against Murphy is he moves the ball away at the same time Carrick makes contact looking like Carrick got the ball.

Technically a penalty but I can see why the referee couldn''t be sure. I thought he had a good game and as for Murphy he was looking to dive more than he was to score.

I''m not defending him for this decision as i haven''t seen it.

I''ve met and chatted to MO and he''s a great ref.

But the thought i want to put out there is this..

We have a shortage of refs in this country for many reasons, one of the main ones being abuse from fans, at all levels, i''ve even had it with my Under 7s team!!!

So if we have less coming in, we have less coming through so they have to be pushed quicker, with maybe not as much experience as we''d like.

So if we stop the constant abuse and let them do their job, with mistakes, because it happens, just like with players, more are likely to enter the game as a ref and the quality should - theoretically - increase.

They''re human. Mistakes will be made. But let them do their job. If it''s that blatant he will watch it later and realise. But he won''t get every one right. Let it go.

There is too much at stake for games to hang in the balance of what exactly the referee saw. The technology is there to aid the officials but it''s not being implemented.

[quote user="Phyxius"]There is too much at stake for games to hang in the balance of what exactly the referee saw. The technology is there to aid the officials but it''s not being implemented.[/quote]

What a pile of absurd drivel

The referee and his decisions are as much part of the game as the

footballers are. Most decisions are subjective, so your nonsensical

technology idea is about as much use technology being used in deciding the winner of the Eurovision song contest. ps tell us all how ''technology could have decided, absolutely, the last goal we scored

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Phyxius"]There is too much at stake for games to hang in the balance of what exactly the referee saw. The technology is there to aid the officials but it''s not being implemented.[/quote]

What a pile of absurd drivel

The referee and his decisions are as much part of the game as the footballers are. Most decisions are subjective, so your nonsensical technology idea is about as much use technology being used in deciding the winner of the Eurovision song contest.

ps tell us all how ''technology could have decided, absolutely, the last goal we scored
[/quote]

Oliver will never award a penalty against Manure when they are winning and late on in the match, we should have been given a pen for hand ball  late on in the match just before Giggs got the winner

I thought he actually had a very reasonable game up until that point. Unfortunately that was the really big decision in the game and he got it completely wrong. I thought it was a very clear penalty. That could potentially help decide where the title goes at the end of the season. In general though I actually think he is a pretty decent referee. I have seem him officiate games since the Holt sending off at Reading and I have been determined to rubbish him as a result. But most of the time I cant fault him.

Like has been said they normally have a good game,but when there is a big call to make,they always favour the big guns.No wonder they all finish so high when the refs are in their pockets.

Retired refs even admit they do,just goes to prove that the premier league don''t care otherwise they would look into it.

He got the decision wrong, but lets be fair, you can see why. At full speed, the way the ball moved off to the right might have looked like Carrick got a touch. Actually it was Murphy''s foot because Carrick''s foot was pushing it. But I don''t think everyone would have spotted that.Oliver has had a very good season this year, and has been one of the better refs, in particular his management of the players on the pitch.

You are of course correct City1st. Why should we try to fix these officiating errors. They are part of the game. England fans should feel enriched in the knowledge that Lampard''s goal (or non-goal) against Germany in the World Cup. QPR fans can rest at ease knowing the point they might have earned against Bolton that could end up the difference between relegation and survival is all part of the game.

It''s not like any of the other major sports like Tennis, Cricket, Rugby League or even American Football make use of modern technology.

Just how biased does our game have to become to win you over?

Bit harsh on the man really!I don''t think many people would get that right seeing that in full time. I thought Carrick won the ball until I saw the replay!I think people forget that when you sit on your sofa you see theses things again and again and slowed down.From where the ref was it would have looked as if Carrick got a touch on the ball.

[quote user="L4cole"]Bit harsh on the man really!I don''t think many people would get that right seeing that in full time. I thought Carrick won the ball until I saw the replay!I think people forget that when you sit on your sofa you see theses things again and again and slowed down.From where the ref was it would have looked as if Carrick got a touch on the ball.[/quote]Disagree L4cole, it reminded me of Holts second yellow on Saturday, Holt claiming he won the ball, which he may have done, but coming in from behind/the side then he obviously went through the player to win the ball (from behind), any tackle from behind is a free kick, this was in the penalty area = penalty. He bottled it, he was in a perfect position, if it had been in Manure''s end i would stake a months wages he would have blown. I lost respect for him last season and the bloke remains respectless.