Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

The Beeb now supporting Holt for England this summer!

From the Live section on BBC today

Someone get this man a plane ticket to Poland in the summer. He scores goals. Aaron Wilbraham is the unlikely provider as he bulldozes through a weak tackle 20 yards out, Tim Howard keeps out his shot but Wilbraham then shows geat strength to hold off a defender and pick out Grant Holt in space. Holt steers it in, cool as you like.

Also could Howson make the plane too?  Also from the Beeb live page.

Look away now Leeds fans - if it wasn''t bad enough that your former captain scored in the top flight today, Norwich boss Paul Lambert is raving about Jonny Howson.

"We''ve got a proper player on our hands," Lambert said. "We were lucky enough to get him. It was one of the best performances I''ve seen from a midfielder."

SSN Matt Le Tissier reckons Holt''s not good enough, better players with better attributes.  Which begs the question, why aren''t these better players scoring more goals?

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]SSN Matt Le Tissier reckons Holt''s not good enough, better players with better attributes. 
Which begs the question, why aren''t these better players scoring more goals?
[/quote]

It''s a jealousy thing. Le Tissier never really got a look in with England and certainly not at a major tournament.

le tissier keeps promoting ricky lambert get a grip not done it in the prem you bitter man !!!!! #grantholtforengland twitter this everytime there got to listen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Also could Howson make the plane too?  Also from the Beeb live page.

Look away now Leeds fans - if it wasn''t bad enough that your former captain scored in the top flight today, Norwich boss Paul Lambert is raving about Jonny Howson.

"We''ve got a proper player on our hands," Lambert said. "We were lucky enough to get him. It was one of the best performances I''ve seen from a midfielder."

[/quote]....lambert likened howson to iniesta, now that is a compliment.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

From the Live section on BBC today

Someone get this man a plane ticket to Poland in the summer. He scores goals. Aaron Wilbraham is the unlikely provider as he bulldozes through a weak tackle 20 yards out, Tim Howard keeps out his shot but Wilbraham then shows geat strength to hold off a defender and pick out Grant Holt in space. Holt steers it in, cool as you like.

[/quote]Are you sure he''s not talking about Wilbraham?

Of course LeTissier had a great attitude didn''t he?Lazy arsed lump always needed it on a plate... or from a dead ball.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]Of course LeTissier had a great attitude didn''t he?Lazy arsed lump always needed it on a plate... or from a dead ball.[/quote]Slightly unfair, but Le Miss was happy to be the biggest fish in a small pond rather than fulfil his obvious potential at a big club.  Holt is on a roll and deserves his chance.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Le Tissier can''t stand the thought that someone like Grant could get a chance in the England squad when he himself didn''t get a decent chance during his career.  

[/quote]

Are you serious? He got a few chances and never took them.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]

Le Tissier can''t stand the thought that someone like Grant could get a chance in the England squad when he himself didn''t get a decent chance during his career.  

[/quote]

Are you serious? He got a few chances and never took them.

[/quote]

Ok,  I''ll rephrase it -  when he himself thinks he didn''t get a decent chance. That was what I was inferring.

[quote user="Mister Chops"] rather than fulfil his obvious potential at a big club[/quote]potential my backsideno other club would touch because, he was far more of a liability than a help most of the timemy fear with Holt would be that he would be playing with ''continental'' refs, many who believe that football is a not contact sport and so his robust play would be regarded as GBHas a crowd pleaser and motivator he would be awesome as we''ve not really had anyone with a fire in them for a whileso get him in there

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Mister Chops"] rather than fulfil his obvious potential at a big club[/quote]potential my backsideno other club would touch because, he was far more of a liability than a help most of the time[/quote]In today''s game, where centre forwards end up defending in the left back position, you''re probably right.  But in the early-mid 1990s, when 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 was all around, he could have cleaned up as the "lazy" midfielder.  I have to go by wikipedia for this, but Spurs and Chelsea were both in for him in the early/mid 1990s and 162 goals in 443 appearances is pretty good for an attacking midfielder, no matter what his liability rating was.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

rather than fulfil his obvious potential at a big club
[/quote]

potential my backside

no other club would touch because, he was far more of a liability than a help most of the time

my fear with Holt would be that he would be playing with ''continental'' refs, many who believe that football is a not contact sport and so his robust play would be regarded as GBH

as a crowd pleaser and motivator he would be awesome as we''ve not really had anyone with a fire in them for a while

so get him in there
[/quote]

In theory he only has to play the first two games until Rooney comes back, so he could pick up a booking in each game and handover at the point.  Then come back for the quarter finals!!!!!

So which better English players exactly is Le Toss talking about - no doubt

all the usual suspects, of which there are far too many to mention,

who''ve all been to these tournaments before & failed to deliver big

style. And what''s this "attributes" nonsense - surely Holt has

got all the attributes needed for a centre forward - puts himself about,

gets under defenders skin, makes defenders feel uneasy and puts the

ball in the bloody net on a regular basis - what else is there ?England

already have enough Fancy Dans who''s only interest in going to Euro

2012 is nothing more than getting another box ticked on their CV.What we need is someone who cares !!!

"but Spurs and Chelsea were both in for him in the early/mid 1990"Ah yes, I forgot you were the Southampton manager at the time. Perhaps you could tell us why you turned down their offersAs to formations it is always 11 against 11 so when you have one idle tosspot strolling around with his hands on his hips then it will also always make it hard for the team carrying a passengerHolt to Poland

[quote user="City1st"]"but Spurs and Chelsea were both in for him in the early/mid 1990"Ah yes, I forgot you were the Southampton manager at the time. Perhaps you could tell us why you turned down their offersAs to formations it is always 11 against 11 so when you have one idle tosspot strolling around with his hands on his hips then it will also always make it hard for the team carrying a passengerHolt to Poland[/quote]Well done on your grown up first paragraph.Unless the "passenger" latches on to a clearance, beats three people and then slams it into the top corner from 25 yards.  But yes, forget flair - it''s all about the work rate, innit?  GET IT FORWARD!  GET INTO ''EM!I would love Holt to go to the tournament, by the way - I just feel the slating of Le Tissier is rather unfair.  Any "idle tosspot"/"passenger" wouldn''t play 443 league games, never mind score 162 goals.

[quote user="Making Plans"]So which better English players exactly is Le Toss talking about - no doubt

all the usual suspects, of which there are far too many to mention,

who''ve all been to these tournaments before & failed to deliver big

style. And what''s this "attributes" nonsense - surely Holt has

got all the attributes needed for a centre forward - puts himself about,

gets under defenders skin, makes defenders feel uneasy and puts the

ball in the bloody net on a regular basis - what else is there ?England

already have enough Fancy Dans who''s only interest in going to Euro

2012 is nothing more than getting another box ticked on their CV.What we need is someone who cares !!![/quote]Le Tissier is arguing that Rickie Lambert should be in the England squad ahead of Holt.Crazy.

ThanksThough not as grown up as qoting from the ever reliable wikipedia as a source to give you an unsubstantiated ''interest''. However either way, NO other manager signed him.I saw young Jarvis put a cracker past Liverpool. Mind you he didn''t wander around the centre circle constantly moaning while the game passed him by so perhaps that''s why he didn''t stay with City. You seem to confuse work rate with being an active participant in the game. Mind you he did break out into an amble when there was a penalty to be taken - 46 of which contributed to his goal tally.As to the quality and contribution, I suggest you look at Carlton Palmer and the number of times he played for England. Not so much a passenger as a car crash.

[quote user="City1st"]ThanksThough not as grown up as qoting from the ever reliable wikipedia as a source to give you an unsubstantiated ''interest''. However either way, NO other manager signed him.I saw young Jarvis put a cracker past Liverpool. Mind you he didn''t wander around the centre circle constantly moaning while the game passed him by so perhaps that''s why he didn''t stay with City. You seem to confuse work rate with being an active participant in the game. Mind you he did break out into an amble when there was a penalty to be taken - 46 of which contributed to his goal tally.As to the quality and contribution, I suggest you look at Carlton Palmer and the number of times he played for England. Not so much a passenger as a car crash.[/quote]LeTissier would almost certainly have flopped at any other club had he left Southampton. He was lazy and incapable of defending when needed and so few other managers would have put up with it.History is littered with them.... Trevor Senior being a classic high scorer during his career, but only for Reading.

[quote user="City1st"]ThanksThough not as grown up as qoting from the ever reliable wikipedia as a source to give you an unsubstantiated ''interest''. However either way, NO other manager signed him.I saw young Jarvis put a cracker past Liverpool. Mind you he didn''t wander around the centre circle constantly moaning while the game passed him by so perhaps that''s why he didn''t stay with City. You seem to confuse work rate with being an active participant in the game. Mind you he did break out into an amble when there was a penalty to be taken - 46 of which contributed to his goal tally.As to the quality and contribution, I suggest you look at Carlton Palmer and the number of times he played for England. Not so much a passenger as a car crash.[/quote]I recall Graham Taylor playing Carlton Palmer on the right wing.  I often wonder why nobody brings that up when Taylor''s on Radio 5 as a "summariser" complaining about an existing manager''s tactical decisions.I enjoyed watching Le Tissier play, though perhaps his career was best suited to Match of the Day highlight shows.  I have no idea whether he "wandered around moaning" for 80 minutes of a match or not, and suspect you don''t either, but a goal ratio better than 1 every 3 games (1 every 4 if you discount penalties, which would seem harsh as well) is pretty good at any level.

Le Tissier was an excellent footballer who was an absolute joy to watch. I have no idea whether there were ever any concrete offers from big clubs to take him away from Southampton but I''m not entirely sure why that should matter. He''s wrong about Holt but there''s no need to act like a teenage girl defending their favourite boy band from accusations that they are not that great at singing. It''s embarrasing.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Le Tissier was an excellent footballer who was an absolute joy to watch. I have no idea whether there were ever any concrete offers from big clubs to take him away from Southampton but I''m not entirely sure why that should matter. He''s wrong about Holt but there''s no need to act like a teenage girl defending their favourite boy band from accusations that they are not that great at singing. It''s embarrasing.[/quote]Slightly over the top reaction Shack.Everyone has a view and it has nothing to do with boy bands. LT was a lazy player and not everyone is impressed by it. If he had been any good he would have played more games for England... but he wasn''t and he didn''t.Goals don''t necessarily equal ''good player''.... especially when part of a ''team effort''. That''s what the England team is theoretically all about.

He was a Number 10 Cluck. They''re supposed to be lazy. I bet you''re one of those people who says that the most impressive thing about Messi is his work rate [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]He was a Number 10 Cluck. They''re supposed to be lazy. I bet you''re one of those people who says that the most impressive thing about Messi is his work rate [;)][/quote]Graham Paddon was a number 10 and he was all over the place!In fairness everyone sees different things in different players and but I doubt many other clubs would have allowed him the luxury of a team built around him.I think we''ll just call him an ''enigma'' then eh? [;)]

Le Tissier just has a hard-on for Ricky Lambert.

The fact that Lamberts goal record this season has been bolsted by penalties seems to have escaped him. Oh, and the fact that Lambert is playing in the Championship too.

Holt over Lambert everyday of the week......

Ah well, Lawro says Holt won''t be picked - despite Lineker''s probing.  So that''s that then.....''cos Lawro gets it right all the time!!