Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

We're still learning!

http://www.shoot.co.uk/news/latest_article/C48/premier_league/norwich_still_learning/

My latest blog for Shoot magazine, we''re still learning our way. It shows how bloody well we''ve done, I think it''s easy to forget that this is our first season back up and first season in the Prem for nearly all in the squad and coaching staff.

They''re doing marvellously. Let me know what you think of the read. Have a good week all.

"

I didn''t realise SHOOT! magazine was still going."I have an old black and white photo of      Norwich City 1970Presented by SHOOT - the great soccer weekly

(there are 15 players and on the back it says)

Every week SHOOT, Britains biggest-selling soccer weekly brings you facts and figures about the inside world of soccer,dramatic action pictures and full-colour pinups, Bobby Mooreand Alam Ball write for you every week in SHOOT too.Read SHOOT regularly - 1/3 every Friday

Yes, I used to get SHOOT in the late 60''s /early 70''s. Prior to that my Dad used to get me a mag which I think was called Charles Buchan''s Football Monthly ( though I''ve got to be honest, I''m a bit vague as to who Charles Buchan actually was) .

Lots of mags have come and gone since then, but I assume When Saturday Comes and 4-4-2 are still on the go in the UK.

On a similar subject, what happened to the 80''s /90''s phenomenon that was fanzines? There were several City ones, the ones I remember were "I Can Drive a Tractor", and "Man Utd are On The Telly Again" (MUAOTTA).

Try that Eric.http://www.charlesbuchansfootballmonthly.com/Certainly remember Shoot in the seventies, couldn`t wait for it to come out.  Amazing how the world has changed! 

Thanks for the link Smokey. Absolutey fascinating. It''s incredible how enthusiasts have created websites celebrating stuff that ceased to exist years ago, isn''t it ?

Like the reference on the 5th paragraph on the home page about Mr Buchan''s career. It seems that Arsenal were penny pinching then, and refusing to pay the full whack for a quality player like him way back in 1925 . Some things never change......

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

Yes, I used to get SHOOT in the late 60''s /early 70''s. Prior to that my Dad used to get me a mag which I think was called Charles Buchan''s Football Monthly ( though I''ve got to be honest, I''m a bit vague as to who Charles Buchan actually was) .

Lots of mags have come and gone since then, but I assume When Saturday Comes and 4-4-2 are still on the go in the UK.

On a similar subject, what happened to the 80''s /90''s phenomenon that was fanzines? There were several City ones, the ones I remember were "I Can Drive a Tractor", and "Man Utd are On The Telly Again" (MUAOTTA).

[/quote]

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

[/quote][/quote]

Wasn''t it ''Liverpool are on the telly again''?

[quote user="Smokebomb"]The section on football boots is worth a look, a pair of Bobby Charltons` for 52 shillings, £2.60,
[/quote]

FFS, about £37 actually.

Perhaps one of the things we need to learn is that Holt is not a natural lone striker, his performances alone are much quieter than with a partner.

It''s the one thing morison does better than Holt despite his apparent lack of effort

Jackson to start alongside grant at the weekend:-)

"The section on football boots is worth a look, a pair of Bobby Charltons` for 52 shillings, £2.60,"A kid I knew bought a pair because at the time they were offering a free Bobby Charlton 5- a side accessory with every pair

....................... turned out to be a cheap comb with five prongs on each end and a big gap in the middle

While we''re on the subject of '' good ol'' days '' can anyone remember there used to be a free chunky mag called '' Football League Review '' which came inside match programmes for a few years back in the 60''s/70''s ? There was a hell of a lot of reading in it if I remember correctly ( I''ve probably got most of them stored with my old programmes.....)

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]While we''re on the subject of '' good ol'' days '' can anyone remember there used to be a free chunky mag called '' Football League Review '' which came inside match programmes for a few years back in the 60''s/70''s ? There was a hell of a lot of reading in it if I remember correctly ( I''ve probably got most of them stored with my old programmes.....)
[/quote]

Thats a blast from the past like SHOOT!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]While we''re on the subject of '' good ol'' days '' can anyone remember there used to be a free chunky mag called '' Football League Review '' which came inside match programmes for a few years back in the 60''s/70''s ? There was a hell of a lot of reading in it if I remember correctly ( I''ve probably got most of them stored with my old programmes.....)
[/quote]

I remember it Smithy. And I still have some in old programmes. I remember Shoot too. And those "league ladders" they used to have free every season. But my all time favourite was a weekly magazine called Goal. I wish I still had some of them!

The league ladders, with the little club names you slotted in the ladder - fiddly little things" But my all time favourite was a weekly magazine called Goal"Found about 20 of them a year or so back - ranging from 1968-71, cost 1/6Big red front cover with a cirle in the middle containing a players photoFrightening how young the players look, team photos in the middle were taken from the ''side''Great adverts in the back, one for Soccopoly which appears to be a football pitch (subbuteo style) with a couple of dice .... and that''s it,  29/6 !

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]While we''re on the subject of '' good ol'' days '' can anyone remember there used to be a free chunky mag called '' Football League Review '' which came inside match programmes for a few years back in the 60''s/70''s ? There was a hell of a lot of reading in it if I remember correctly ( I''ve probably got most of them stored with my old programmes.....)[/quote]Is it Soccer Review/Football League Review to which you refer?Fascinating historical review of the history of British Football Weekly/Monthly magazines can be found here http://www.soccerbilia.co.uk/acatalog/History_of_British_Football_Magazines.htmlWorld Soccer used to be a good read for checking out info on foreign teams/players.Shoot, Goal and Match competed with eachother during the 70''s and 80''s.