Sign in to follow this  
Frankly speaking

Is this as good as it gets for Lambert?

Good read, thanks.Suggest a better title would be "Is this as good as it gets for Norwich City FC?", because Lambert clearly will go on to bigger things at some point.  The question is whether we will have another manager in the short to medium term who can achieve half what he has achieved on the operating budget and the wage bill we can offer him.No doubt when he does leave there will be those who will call this a lack of ambition on the part of Norwich City FC, or more likely the owners, shareholders and directors.  I would like to think the more level headed and less vindictive amongst us will see it for what it is - a genuine chance for a great manager to win trophies at a club who can match his winner''s mentality with silverware.  If he''s still in charge this time next year I will be amazed, and bloody grateful.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Good read, thanks.No doubt when he does leave there will be those who will call this a lack of ambition on the part of Norwich City FC, or more likely the owners, shareholders and directors.  I would like to think the more level headed and less vindictive amongst us will see it for what it is - a genuine chance for a great manager to win trophies at a club who can match his winner''s mentality with silverware.  If he''s still in charge this time next year I will be amazed, and bloody grateful.[/quote]Bingo. Getting the big jobs is all about being in the right place at the right time, and crucially having the best reputation at that point in time. If Lambert decided to leave at the end of the season knowing he has taken us about as far as he can, I would not blame him in any way. All it would take is for us to have a bad start to next season (Assuming we stay up) and his stock plummets back down.As you say, the tough part is who on earth will replace him when he inevitably moves to bigger things.

Agree with the qua;ity of the post and the acceptance by all that Lambert will want to go as far as he can in football.What is often overlooked is that Lambert is part of a bigger picture at Carrow Road. Not only on the pitch but everywhere else there is a harder more professional fell about the club. Everything that could be tweaked (improved) has been. those who have dealt with the club businesswise admit that it is a different outfit now.The demands and expectations are far higher. Lambert has spoken about this on a number of times - clearly outlining where the balance of ''power'' rests. And I sure Paul Lambert knows that were he to leave Carrow Road in the very near future it would not be to one of the big clubs, not at this stage.Put the correct procedures in and Paul Lambert can be replaced when he does finall want to try his luck elsewhere. Don''t dismiss what is happening with our club or the myth about finances. I was rather set back by the high level of bonuses paid out in relation to promotion to the Premier League. As well as explaining some of the last minutes '' all or nothing charges'' it demonstatres how committed the club are. These bonuses would not been tacked on as an afterthought with a few games to go last March. They would have been drawn up and costed not long after we had won promotion from the Championship.Finish just outside the top six and we are another £11m to the good. A massive sum, that is paid out not subject to appearances sell on fees agents commission etc. A figure that dwarfs what is earned through winning the FA Cup. But even there a measure of the determination and realisation of what we are capable of is that we set out to win the game against Burnley, as I''m sure we will against WBA. Something taht i don''t think we were too concerned about the last two seasons.Unfortunately some of the happy clappies and johnny come latelys still believe that achieving Premier League status is the final goal. As long as we can hang on in there, ''we''ll be grateful wiv 17th and no mistake mister" then all is fine. That is not the case. This is just the beginning. Maybe not the absolute beginning but the club has bigger aspirations that just standing in the corner, doffing it''s cap and being happy to ''come in for a warm'' occasionally.How long Paul Lambert stays with us on that journey we shall have to wait to see, personally I hope is for the foreseeable future but no one is bigger than the club, be that manager, director or owner(s). At the moment we have the almost perfect combination in all three areas so lets see where they take us and sit back and enjoy.

[quote user="City1st"]Agree with the qua;ity of the post and the acceptance by all that Lambert will want to go as far as he can in football.What is often overlooked is that Lambert is part of a bigger picture at Carrow Road. Not only on the pitch but everywhere else there is a harder more professional fell about the club. Everything that could be tweaked (improved) has been. those who have dealt with the club businesswise admit that it is a different outfit now.The demands and expectations are far higher. Lambert has spoken about this on a number of times - clearly outlining where the balance of ''power'' rests. And I sure Paul Lambert knows that were he to leave Carrow Road in the very near future it would not be to one of the big clubs, not at this stage.Put the correct procedures in and Paul Lambert can be replaced when he does finall want to try his luck elsewhere. Don''t dismiss what is happening with our club or the myth about finances. I was rather set back by the high level of bonuses paid out in relation to promotion to the Premier League. As well as explaining some of the last minutes '' all or nothing charges'' it demonstatres how committed the club are. These bonuses would not been tacked on as an afterthought with a few games to go last March. They would have been drawn up and costed not long after we had won promotion from the Championship.Finish just outside the top six and we are another £11m to the good. A massive sum, that is paid out not subject to appearances sell on fees agents commission etc. A figure that dwarfs what is earned through winning the FA Cup. But even there a measure of the determination and realisation of what we are capable of is that we set out to win the game against Burnley, as I''m sure we will against WBA. Something taht i don''t think we were too concerned about the last two seasons.Unfortunately some of the happy clappies and johnny come latelys still believe that achieving Premier League status is the final goal. As long as we can hang on in there, ''we''ll be grateful wiv 17th and no mistake mister" then all is fine. That is not the case. This is just the beginning. Maybe not the absolute beginning but the club has bigger aspirations that just standing in the corner, doffing it''s cap and being happy to ''come in for a warm'' occasionally.How long Paul Lambert stays with us on that journey we shall have to wait to see, personally I hope is for the foreseeable future but no one is bigger than the club, be that manager, director or owner(s). At the moment we have the almost perfect combination in all three areas so lets see where they take us and sit back and enjoy.[/quote]It is not just the Johnny come lately''s who believe this my dear, although worry not, as I am sure that will change when the concensus of popular opinion does. Keep up the good work!

["City1st"]Agree with the qua;ity of the post and the acceptance by all that Lambert will want to go as far as he can in football.What is often overlooked is that Lambert is part of a bigger picture at Carrow Road. Not only on the pitch but everywhere else there is a harder more professional fell about the club. Everything that could be tweaked (improved) has been. those who have dealt with the club businesswise admit that it is a different outfit now.The demands and expectations are far higher. Lambert has spoken about this on a number of times - clearly outlining where the balance of ''power'' rests. And I sure Paul Lambert knows that were he to leave Carrow Road in the very near future it would not be to one of the big clubs, not at this stage.Put the correct procedures in and Paul Lambert can be replaced when he does finall want to try his luck elsewhere. Don''t dismiss what is happening with our club or the myth about finances. I was rather set back by the high level of bonuses paid out in relation to promotion to the Premier League. As well as explaining some of the last minutes '' all or nothing charges'' it demonstatres how committed the club are. These bonuses would not been tacked on as an afterthought with a few games to go last March. They would have been drawn up and costed not long after we had won promotion from the Championship.Finish just outside the top six and we are another £11m to the good. A massive sum, that is paid out not subject to appearances sell on fees agents commission etc. A figure that dwarfs what is earned through winning the FA Cup. But even there a measure of the determination and realisation of what we are capable of is that we set out to win the game against Burnley, as I''m sure we will against WBA. Something taht i don''t think we were too concerned about the last two seasons.Unfortunately some of the happy clappies and johnny come latelys still believe that achieving Premier League status is the final goal. As long as we can hang on in there, ''we''ll be grateful wiv 17th and no mistake mister" then all is fine. That is not the case. This is just the beginning. Maybe not the absolute beginning but the club has bigger aspirations that just standing in the corner, doffing it''s cap and being happy to ''come in for a warm'' occasionally.How long Paul Lambert stays with us on that journey we shall have to wait to see, personally I hope is for the foreseeable future but no one is bigger than the club, be that manager, director or owner(s). At the moment we have the almost perfect combination in all three areas so lets see where they take us and sit back and enjoy.

Top post apart from the happy clappie bit!

Although I agree the club is being run possibly the best its ever been and is ambitious, I think now if any sensible Norwich fan was offered 4th from bottom come the end of the season then we''d all take it, although its obvious we can finish higher!

What impresses me most about our great club in present times is that those at the top can see what potential the club has and is giving the club the best chance to fulfill their ambitions. The "little ole Norwich" stereotype is still about particularly on MOTD where we are still largely an afterthought. Unfortunately many Norwich fans have been sucked into this National stereotype.

Just cause Norwich is out on a limb and we aren''t part of a large London, Birmingham, Manchester, North west or North East conurbation doesn''t mean we''re a little club. Personnally I''ve said for a long time that Norwich City FC are capable of being one of the top 10 clubs in England in terms of League status and support

Giving how driven Lambert is I doubt this is as good as it gets for him either with Norwich or elsewhere1

Norwich City FC at present is a work in progress. I''ll only consider things not being able to get better when we are established in the Premiership playing in a 35-40,000 capacity Carrow Road in front of 30-35,000 average crowds, having some trips abroad in the Europa League and hopefully winning one or more of the cups!

[quote user="Frankly speaking"]New blog entry. How far can Lambert go? http://franklyspeaking58.blogspot.com/[/quote]I am hopeful that Lambert will stay for at least one more season. I''m sure he won''t go to a team with Champions League expectations, but I could see him going to Newcastle, Sunderland, Everton or Aston Villa. To be completely honest, I can''t see him going to anyone else in this league, as those are the only clubs that would a) be happy to have a manager who hasn''t performed at the top level and b) be a big enough "step up" in terms of club size. Maybe somewhere in Germany. Or maybe one of the sleeping giants of the football world such as Leeds or Derby, if they were to get a big cash injection.I can''t see McLeish going anywhere for the time being, as I''m sure Randy Lerner saw him as a long term appointment (you don''t appoint someone that unpopular with the fans if you are a short-termist). Pardew is doing wonders at Newcastle, and is on a really long contract. Moyes may leave Everton, but with their current budgetary restraints may not really tempt PL very much. Sunderland have just appointed O''Neill, so can''t see much changing there for a while.So I think our chances of keeping hold of PL seem quite high at the moment. Only time will tell, and he''ll be a legend whatever happens.If he DOES go, I really hope he leaves Culverhouse. We have such a good footballing culture here at the moment, and it would be a shame to have a new manager come in and revolutionise things, as they are going so well as they are. I would much rather have Culverhouse or Karsa at the helm than even some managers with high pedigrees, such as Hughes or Hodgson.

" I think now if any sensible Norwich fan was offered 4th from bottom come the end of the season then we''d all take it"Sorry have to totally disagree - and that''s where the happy clappy comes in.Those that I know have been ''in and around ''the club for a fair while know how far we have come and what can be achieved. For thos avocating us being ''ever so umble and accepting 17th completely ignore or I suspect are completely unaware of the consequences of that ever so ''umble achievement. For us to finish 17th after where we are now would have to see us go through possibly one of the longest and worst periods on the pitch in our club''s history. On cureent form that would mean around 3 points out of 17 games ! ! ! - something akin to 5 points in this season.That is not some random action, some incredibly bit of bad luck but an absolute collapse.I would say get off your knees and have some belief but more importantly it might be better if you were to check a few of the past facts and figures and you will see the happy clappies hope is not going to be achieved. My hope of European quailification may not either, but here''s the odd thing. Mathematically we are nearer to my hope than we the doom mongers ever so ''umble begging bowl of aspiration. And we are playing like we will finish far nearer to European qualification than ever another 3 points out of the next 17 games !

I have a suspicion he could be here for a while.

Don''t forget, as much as our return has been meteoric, so has his rise. As much as we can''t believe our luck, neither can he. I agree he is very ambitious, but he is also very cautious in that he has no inflated opinion of his abilities.

Something else to ponder is the fact that he has not had to deal with the big egos all too prevalent amongst top players; he may well feel he''d perhaps try to introduce one or two "bigger" players over the next season & see how he can incorporate them into our setup, rather than being dropped into the deep end a la Cloughie at Leeds.

I think Norwich & Lambert are perfect for each other, & could be for a few seasons yet.

I think this is almost  but hopefully not as good as it gets for NCFC. If you take away the top six or seven teams, who are in a league of their own, and we are effectively second in the league right now IMO. There''s only Stoke ahead of us. So you might actually usefully pose the same question about Tony Pulis. Now there''s a club around the same size as NCFC with a manager who got them promoted. Pulis has not only kept them in the Premier League but they''ve finished in good positions and he''s has got them into Europe and had good cup runs. I hope Lambert sees things like Pulis and will stay here for a bit longer yet. Can NCFC do a Stoke if Lambert stays?

Equally Lambert could be looking at the record of managers like Owen Coyle and thinking "better the devil you know"...

[quote user="Jules"]I think this is almost  but hopefully not as good as it gets for NCFC. If you take away the top six or seven teams, who are in a league of their own, and we are effectively second in the league right now IMO. There''s only Stoke ahead of us. So you might actually usefully pose the same question about Tony Pulis. Now there''s a club around the same size as NCFC with a manager who got them promoted. Pulis has not only kept them in the Premier League but they''ve finished in good positions and he''s has got them into Europe and had good cup runs. I hope Lambert sees things like Pulis and will stay here for a bit longer yet. Can NCFC do a Stoke if Lambert stays? [/quote]Not yet they aren''t.  Last time I looked they were in the FA Premier League and so were Norwich City.I am so glad that McNally and Lambert reached for the stars last season, instead of going with the concensus of opinion on here upon promotion and aiming for consolidating in mid table.I wonder if Southampton''s view this summer, was how could they possibly compete with West Ham, Birmingham and others with considerably more money than them? How have Tottenham outperformed Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool recently?It has always been tough at the top and will continue to be so.

Yes they are.Compare the crowd sizes, the income and price of their teams - and their points tally. That''s the reality right now. Drawing a comparison with West H and Brum is just silly.[quote user="The Iron Lady"][quote user="Jules"]I think this is almost  but hopefully not as good as it gets for NCFC. If you take away the top six or seven teams, who are in a league of their own, and we are effectively second in the league right now IMO. There''s only Stoke ahead of us. So you might actually usefully pose the same question about Tony Pulis. Now there''s a club around the same size as NCFC with a manager who got them promoted. Pulis has not only kept them in the Premier League but they''ve finished in good positions and he''s has got them into Europe and had good cup runs. I hope Lambert sees things like Pulis and will stay here for a bit longer yet. Can NCFC do a Stoke if Lambert stays? [/quote]Not yet they aren''t.  Last time I looked they were in the FA Premier League and so were Norwich City.I am so glad that McNally and Lambert reached for the stars last season, instead of going with the concensus of opinion on here upon promotion and aiming for consolidating in mid table.I wonder if Southampton''s view this summer, was how could they possibly compete with West Ham, Birmingham and others with considerably more money than them? How have Tottenham outperformed Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool recently?It has always been tough at the top and will continue to be so.[/quote]

As silly as little Tottenham, who have half the finance (or less) than Man City and Man Utd and crowds half the size that pair trying to compete with them?  Silly Tottenham should just be happy with being the 3rd biggest team in London rather than trying to win trophies surely?

I think there are two very good reasons why Harry Redknap should NOT be the next England manager this summer.1. Lambert is the obvious replacement at Spurs and would surely take them on to some serious silverware.2. Redknap would be bloody terrible as England manager.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I think there are two very good reasons why Harry Redknap should NOT be the next England manager this summer.

1. Lambert is the obvious replacement at Spurs and would surely take them on to some serious silverware.
2. Redknap would be bloody terrible as England manager.
[/quote]

Disagree on both points, Brendan Rogers is the more obvious replacement for Redknapp - getting lots of plaudits for his team''s football, slightly more media friendly than our Paul and has already been at a big club (albeit in a "junior" position).

Harry always seems to get the best out of his players so can''t see why he would be bloody terrible, assuming some of his off-field activities don''t prevent him being appointed in the first place.

Mark .Y.

["City1st"]" I think now if any sensible Norwich fan was offered 4th from bottom come the end of the season then we''d all take it"Sorry have to totally disagree - and that''s where the happy clappy comes in.Those that I know have been ''in and around ''the club for a fair while know how far we have come and what can be achieved. For thos avocating us being ''ever so umble and accepting 17th completely ignore or I suspect are completely unaware of the consequences of that ever so ''umble achievement. For us to finish 17th after where we are now would have to see us go through possibly one of the longest and worst periods on the pitch in our club''s history. On cureent form that would mean around 3 points out of 17 games ! ! ! - something akin to 5 points in this season.That is not some random action, some incredibly bit of bad luck but an absolute collapse.I would say get off your knees and have some belief but more importantly it might be better if you were to check a few of the past facts and figures and you will see the happy clappies hope is not going to be achieved. My hope of European quailification may not either, but here''s the odd thing. Mathematically we are nearer to my hope than we the doom mongers ever so ''umble begging bowl of aspiration. And we are playing like we will finish far nearer to European qualification than ever another 3 points out of the next 17 games !

I''ve been following the club since the 1950''s, I''ve not jumped on the bandwagon in the last 10 years like 10,000+ of our current crowd have done, although I won''t knock them cause the more the merrier I say!

So in reality I''m as far removed from the "happy Clappy" supporter as you could get. In fact I was probably going to games at Carrow Road when Delia Smith was still in her school uniform!!

I think we can finish at the highest where we are now although I think its more likely we could finish in the the top half of the bottom 10 of the table if that makes sense!?

Because I''ve been around so long and seen so many near misses and don''t forget that two seasons ago we were a third Division club I tend to be air on the side of caution a little and while coming 4th from bottom now would require a drop in form, in the bigger picture it would still be a big achievement!

I''ve got plenty of belief where NCFCis concerned. Indeed in one of my previous posts on this thread I clearly state that we have the potential to be one of the top 10 clubs in the Country in terms of league standing, support and revenue making but at present we are at best a few years of those levels and maintaining Premiership status this season would be a big step in the right direction!

[quote user="ron obvious"]I have a suspicion he could be here for a while. Don''t forget, as much as our return has been meteoric, so has his rise. As much as we can''t believe our luck, neither can he. I agree he is very ambitious, but he is also very cautious in that he has no inflated opinion of his abilities. Something else to ponder is the fact that he has not had to deal with the big egos all too prevalent amongst top players; he may well feel he''d perhaps try to introduce one or two "bigger" players over the next season & see how he can incorporate them into our setup, rather than being dropped into the deep end a la Cloughie at Leeds. I think Norwich & Lambert are perfect for each other, & could be for a few seasons yet.[/quote]

Yep, that''s pretty much how I see it too Ron. I''m a firm believer in certain managers suit certain clubs . The ethic at NCFC and Paul Lambert suit each other perfectly.

For example there has been a lot of guff written about how Martin O ''Neill has been set up as the new ManYoo boss when SAF finally packs up.  Never in a month of Sundays . MO''N''s ethos is chalk and cheese to that at OT . He is a driven manager, and does not like big stars, prima donnas and fancy dans . Man U ,as a club, has to have big names there, as that''s what fans and sponsors expect. So there''s no way a smart guy like MO''N would go there.

It''s pretty clear that Lambert has modelled himself on Cloughie and O ''Neill, and (I hope) he too is a switched-on enough guy to know that a move to a big time charlie club would not necessarily work out. He likes to be the big fish in the small pond .

The only slight problem is the pull of the filthy lucre. If someone approached him flashing a big chequebook, would he be able to resist ? Time will tell.

["ron obvious"]I have a suspicion he could be here for a while.

Don''t forget, as much as our return has been meteoric, so has his rise. As much as we can''t believe our luck, neither can he. I agree he is very ambitious, but he is also very cautious in that he has no inflated opinion of his abilities.

Something else to ponder is the fact that he has not had to deal with the big egos all too prevalent amongst top players; he may well feel he''d perhaps try to introduce one or two "bigger" players over the next season & see how he can incorporate them into our setup, rather than being dropped into the deep end a la Cloughie at Leeds.

I think Norwich & Lambert are perfect for each other, & could be for a few seasons yet.

Very very sensible good post!

All this doomongering stuff that Lambert will leave as soon as a bigger club comes along is probably stretching the reality of the current situation!

Lamberts reputation at the moment will increase by maintaining the amazing success story that has been NCFC since he came in August 2009. He hasn''t kept us up yet and even if we do stay up this season keeping us up in the following seasons will be just as massive!

Moving to a middle of the road sleeping giant Premiership team like Everton or Villa for instance and doing similar to what they''ve been doing for years would be much lesser of a deal than keeping "little ole Norwich" in the top flight and seeing them grow!

Remember the only loss we made last season was the promtion bonus'' which I suspect Lambert like Mcnally (over £500,000) was richly rewarded with so he isn''t doing the job for a low managers wage. Lamberts the highest hes ever been and at the biggest club hes ever managed so hasn''t managed any big earning egos so while I suspect he''ll go to a bigger club when the times right, it won''t be any old club and if we keep on improving under him it won''t be for a few years yet!

Am I alone in not wanting us to be "another Stoke" or "another Fulham" or even "another Everton"?

The successful formula that we presently have at Norwich suggests we will carry on progressing with the kind of players we have - with no "big" egos, mercenaries etc etc.    It has been suggested in a previous post that PL has achieved his success with lesser lights and bringing them through.  The likes of what some of the other clubs have done that are "established" is to bring in some bigger named players (Saha at Everton for instance).

The ethic that has its roots in Martin O Neill and Brian Clough does not allow for "big" players or prima donnas.  This is why PL may not be suited to any bigger club.   We can all think of  Norwich managers who have gone on to bigger clubs and struggled - Mike Walker comes to mind with Everton, and players for that matter (Ruel Fox was never the same after he left Norwich). 

PL may well at some stage feel he needs a fresh challenge, but while the set up at the club is supportive - and crucially - the fans are supportive (dare I say there are still some fans at Norwich who don''t get it )   there will be no reason to suppose he would want to leave in the short term.    Success doesn''t just happen - although it may appear to some thtat it does.   I am sure PL recognises that and one of the reasons the success we have had to date was possible is  the McNally factor.   Not many clubs have such a good behind the scenes set up.

Forget your sugar daddys, big wages,  name players - that is not the way forward in my opinion.    If PL did leave any time soon - an I hope he doesn''t - I would trust McNally to pick someone of similar ilk who could carry on in similar vein.    PL may well want to "have a go" at a big club later on in his career but I get the feeling that he is here for the long haul.  Are there many clubs out there that would suit him with set ups that could give him the same opportunities as he has had here?  I don''t think so.      

I would prefer to think of us being more like Forest, Derby under Clough or Celtic under Martin O''Neill - a long term manager who actually is competing to win things season after season.

And plese don''t give me the usual "we can''t compete with the big, super rich" clubs cr*p,  money isn''t everything - and some of those "super rich" clubs aren''t exactly setting the world on fire at the moment anyway.  Keep the faith, don''t keep talking as if  PL is on his way.  I hope and think he will be here for some time - but he needs the fans to buy in to his ethos and not expect "big" names and start "expecting" success. 

I know some of you don''t understand my attitude, but it is based on dealing with the present and not wishing for something in the future, like winning a cup, or safety from relegation.  I believe this is what made Brian Clough and Martin O''Neill and makes PL successful.   The more fans that can do this the more positive place Carrow Rd will be.  We might just get rid of some of the negativity and anxiety that still appears from time to time.     Surely we can all learn from the PL philosophy?   What possible reason is there to be anxious with PL in charge?  All the anxiety at the beginning of the season - maybe understandable up to a point - was unnecessary really as we had two years of evidence that things would be ok. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]

I know some of you don''t understand my attitude, but it is based on dealing with the present and not wishing for something in the future, like winning a cup, or safety from relegation.  I believe this is what made Brian Clough and Martin O''Neill and makes PL successful.   The more fans that can do this the more positive place Carrow Rd will be.  We might just get rid of some of the negativity and anxiety that still appears from time to time.     Surely we can all learn from the PL philosophy?   What possible reason is there to be anxious with PL in charge?  All the anxiety at the beginning of the season - maybe understandable up to a point - was unnecessary really as we had two years of evidence that things would be ok. 

[/quote]

There''s nothing inherently wrong in your attitude, or indeed what you say , LDC . In many ways I agree with you totally.

But what you''ve got to remember is that those of us City fans who are a little longer in the tooth can remember what''s gone on in the past. Old habits die hard, so I guess some of us can be excused for being a bit fretful from time to time. We''ve seen the squandered opportunities. We''ve witnessed the good managers who''ve b*ggered off to join other "bigger" clubs. We''ve groaned as players have been hounded out. We''ve remembered the lousy appointments that have been made as replacements.

This is not negativity or "anxiety". It''s called having a long memory, and yes, OK, being a little cynical from time to time. You are right, with the current setup at NCFC, there''s no real reason to fear the worst, but you''ll understand if some folk do occasionally get worried that it''s all a dream !