Sign in to follow this  
Somerset Canary

Jordan Rhodes

Surely worth a bid in January!

I appreciate we still have Vaughan to come back but anyone who scores 17 league goals in 21 league games must know where the goal is. Should be able to make the step up to the Prem in the same way Pilks and Benno have this year.

Thoughts?

He seems a goal machine, a hat trick yesterday, and it seems to go on from last season. I think that he is 22/23. so he would come into PL''s category

Two questions, however:

1) He is scoring in division 1, does he have potential to do this in the Premiership with faster defenders

2) At least two of the goals were headers yesterday, is he also able to score with powerful shots, which is what our strikers tend to lack at present?

I must admit that I have never seen him play, and know nothing other than that his name is regularly on the scoring list. Is he near to end of contract and how many others ar likely to chase him? If there is a buying war then our slender reserves may mean that we are out-bid anyway.

Salopian - he appears to have a really powerful shot in both feet. Saw his four goals yesterday on the Football League show and two of them were brilliantly taken shots. He looks to have plenty of pace too, although admittedly that is again lower level players.

Would rather see us sign Sharp, personally. The man is quality.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Goal scores are £3m at least + january crazy prices + more than 1 team after him...£6m maybe?[/quote]

This is a question the board need to weigh up. Say we''ll splashed £5m on a striker (on a lower league player who''s up for it, not a prem league nearly man show pony). If that secured a place in this league for next season, it''s a bargain

But with holt & morison playing so well is it strikers we need? We have jackson as back up and vaughan to come back.

would we be better spending that money on a defender or defensive midfielder first?

You can never have enough strikers. If, god forbid, either Holt or Morison got a long term injury we would be left with Wilby and Jacko to come in before Vaughan may get fit.

I think the fact that Vaughan won''t be back till February, and who says he is going to firing on all cylinders then anyway, does mean that our priorities may have changed a little. I believe the spine of the team is needed, it may not be all in this transfer window, but right now a striker that we may have been looking for in the Summer may now be more of a priority now.

I think Rhodes will be valued highly be a very good Huddersfield team and there will be a few suitors. I do think his price will be very high and hence once it gets to a certain price I presume we will continue with the policy we had before where we walked away. Sharp is a player who has done it now for a good three-four years for a few teams but in the championship, I am a fan of the guy and think the Â£1.7million is something worth looking at. But will they bring the immediacy we may be looking for? Who knows, you never know with a new signing. But I beleive we do have to look for a striker. Martin I do not think is the future, hence his loan to palace, here at NCFC as we seem to have risen and he has become redundant. Wilby is out of contract in the Summer and Jacko, well I think he needs to be playing games from January as i think he could be left behind and if we stay up we will be improving our squad.

I think Lambo will get a midfielder, defender I think he will wait till the Summer as he has stated. I would rather we got someone in who can lead at the back, but I do think he is testing our boys out and seeing if one can take that lead at centre back.

I think Norwich will make an offer for him in January. Lambert likes his big strikers.

Do think we need a midfielder who can win the ball and add a bit of steal to our defence. Such as Olfinjana, although he isn''t exactly the type of player Lambert would buy. Wouldn''t mind seeing Peter Whitingham here either. If we''re going to be playing the diamond from now on then he''ll be the perfect player to play in midfield, adding a bit of creativity (although Surman did do very well yesterday).

As for defence what about someone like Onouha? Man City said they''re looking to sell him.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Manchester-City-duo-Wayne-Bridge-and-Nedum-Onuoha-not-allowed-loan-moves-article844213.html

But would we need another defender though with Ward and De Laet coming back from injury? Would surely have to shift a centre back before bringing in a new one.

I personally think R. Martin has already taken the lead at centre back and it''s whoever partners him. I say we have enough CBs now with Whitbread back, and Ayala and Ward almost ready.

R. Martin and Whitbread first choice and if (when) Whitbread gets injured again I think Ayala would step up.