Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Have we ever had a bigger derby?

What with the 4-1 thrashing we dished out and the potential of what a win could result in I dont think we''ve had a bigger league derby.Yes we''ve had the milk cup games and the 2003/04 games but there is so much riding on this for both sides.If (God forbid!) the blue filth win then they are right back in the playoff hunt (mathematically at least) and they have the satisfaction of knowing that revenge has been dished out.A draw isnt THAT bad but it isnt the best.A win for us and I think we''ll have enough to stay in 2nd for the rest of the season- cardiff have away games at Preston and Burnley and QPR at home wont be easy either.I really dont know what score to predict. The thing keeping me calm is the Paul Lambert factor.OTBC

[quote user="CT"]What with the 4-1 thrashing we dished out and the potential of what a win could result in I dont think we''ve had a bigger league derby.

Yes we''ve had the milk cup games and the 2003/04 games but there is so much riding on this for both sides.

If (God forbid!) the blue filth win then they are right back in the playoff hunt (mathematically at least) and they have the satisfaction of knowing that revenge has been dished out.

A draw isnt THAT bad but it isnt the best.

A win for us and I think we''ll have enough to stay in 2nd for the rest of the season- cardiff have away games at Preston and Burnley and QPR at home wont be easy either.

I really dont know what score to predict. The thing keeping me calm is the Paul Lambert factor.

OTBC
[/quote]

Financially the stakes are far,far higher in 2011 but for atmosphere and the utter delight of getting to Wembley at the expense of the scum complete with Burley,Butcher et all with a goal four minutes from time it has to be 1985 for me.

I know it worked out for the better, but the year we went down to league one was pretty huge. Had it not been for some key decisions at pivotal points the story could have been very different.[quote user="CT"]What with the 4-1 thrashing we dished out and the potential of what a win could result in I dont think we''ve had a bigger league derby.Yes we''ve had the milk cup games and the 2003/04 games but there is so much riding on this for both sides.If (God forbid!) the blue filth win then they are right back in the playoff hunt (mathematically at least) and they have the satisfaction of knowing that revenge has been dished out.A draw isnt THAT bad but it isnt the best.A win for us and I think we''ll have enough to stay in 2nd for the rest of the season- cardiff have away games at Preston and Burnley and QPR at home wont be easy either.I really dont know what score to predict. The thing keeping me calm is the Paul Lambert factor.OTBC[/quote]

I think the Milk Cup semi final was bigger, to be honest - it was all riding on that match.  This game on Thursday is a big game, no doubt about it, but it''s not going to define the season in the same way.

It''s important in terms of what''s at stake but for me nothing will ever beat the electric athmosphere of the milk cup semi or the post match celebrations. I ended up in the ''hole in the wall'' with the players that night and dancing on the tables. Great times.

The most important league game in recent memory was 2 years ago. We played at exactly the same time and needed to win to avoid almost certain relegation to league 1. We lost. 2 weeks later we were relegated.

That was pretty big.

"but for me nothing will ever beat the electric athmosphere of the milk cup semi or the post match celebrations."

Absolutely, Bruces header seemed to be coming straight at me.  Next thing, wallop on the floor, with others all round me,on top, usual Barclay melee. Had a fair few before and afterwards that night.I don''t remember there being so much hype as now. It was a fans game (football) and unless you ever experienced what the Barclay was like then it is hard to try and explain. Most other grounds had ''their end'' and the atmophere when things were going good would have been the same. I know we were well packed in that night and the only time anyone really moved was when someone wanted a pee - otherwise it was in your back pocket.It would only be on the same level if we were playing the filth in the play off semis, in the second leg. We had to win that game. We don''t have to win this game. Sure it would make it that much harder if we lost (aside from the usual loss of pride etc) but mathematically we would still be in there. Lose in the semis and you are out. Full stop. That''s what gives that 1985 game the edge.Oh, and it took me and my mate ages to get on the pitch. We ended up taking ''air penalties'' up the River End. Mighty fine feeling to run up and hoof a penalty at your mate in goal at Carrow Road. Shame we didnt have a ball. Even odder we went back to the Barclay and climbed back over to get out.Happy days

Cup semi bigger definitely in my book. Also 1993, we played them with only a couple of games left, I think they mathematically finished our chances of winning the league that night.

Milk Cup without doubt as that meant more to both teams. Remember that was a cup worth playing for at the time.

This weeks game while important for us, is not the end for us whatever happens and while they can mathematically make the playoffs, they know they wont, so is only local pride for them

[quote user="Nolly"]Milk Cup without doubt as that meant more to both teams. Remember that was a cup worth playing for at the time. This weeks game while important for us, is not the end for us whatever happens and while they can mathematically make the playoffs, they know they wont, so is only local pride for them[/quote]

Agree with this.

Would be great to go up automatically but the playoffs wouldn''t be a bad outcome for a season where we''ve just been promoted to this level.

Yes getting into the Prem would be fantastic but in itself it will never compare to beating our biggest rivals to get into the final of a proper competition.

The last team to go up to the top flight after two consecutive promotions, (Man City) had to do one of theirs via the play-offs. To go up twice automatically would be an amazing achievement.