Sign in to follow this  
willo2

Has Lambert Hoodwinked you....?????

Because he has me.......I spend most of my days/weeks telling friends and business colleagues that he has brought us up on a shoestring with the same players, these players have been great for him since he has been here, la la la......One look, though, at Saturdays first 11 and, only three survivors from the regular 11 of last season, Holt, Hoolahan and Martin. He has the Fergie touch in terms of building a picture he wants us all to follow and we do it.....Fantastic psychological games this guy can play, we all hear it week in week out on Canary Call, but nothing until Friday morning when we get the same, great bunch of players, been great for me since I''ve been here......... and we all take it in..... BTW, this is not a criticism, or a subject up for debate, merely an individual observation, get that in before the petty squabbling starts!!!!!

No

The results are squad based, players who were great last year can still do a job and do when required because of injuries.. Players are fighting to play, it raises the bar in terms of performance and as a result this competition for places means we are 2nd in table.

When Lambert says his players "need a little hand" he is really saying " i''m looking to improve the squad" but he is more diplomatic.

HRH

Where have I said that lambert has been devious, merely pointed out that he plays the psychological game very well and pointed out some examples, one which came to light to me the past few days.Why is it that an innocuous post is met with criticism and in Morty, holier than thou''s case, a sense of derision. If you don''t agree with the post or fail to understand it, don''t bother replying with a Eh! just don''t. My post count would be so so much higher if every time I saw a Morty irrelevancy, I decided to post.Rant over and another poster lost to the Pink ''un inbreds....

I think I know what you''re getting at. He has been a master at quickly developing and improving the team without causing any disruption or drop in moral for those who find they are on the bench rather than regualrs in the team. Thats a tough task and shows what a top manager we have.

Dont forget we had Whitbread last season as well as Holt Hoolahan and R Martin in our first 11.   

Fair point re Whitbread, excluded him as he did not play a major role.Thanks for taking the time to understand the post and put your point of view over in an mature manner. Makes a change from the current crop of users and the sad old gits on here every day..............Morty, cough, cough.....

[quote user="willo2"]Where have I said that lambert has been devious, merely pointed out that he plays the psychological game very well and pointed out some examples, one which came to light to me the past few days.Why is it that an innocuous post is met with criticism and in Morty, holier than thou''s case, a sense of derision. If you don''t agree with the post or fail to understand it, don''t bother replying with a Eh! just don''t. My post count would be so so much higher if every time I saw a Morty irrelevancy, I decided to post.Rant over and another poster lost to the Pink ''un inbreds.... [/quote]Wow, someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning.My post was because I really couldn''t see the point you were trying to make, and particularly the implication of being "hoodwinked", all you have done is pointed out something everyone knows anyway.What do you want a round of applause just because you started a thread?And I think you''ll find I''m perfectly free to reply to whatever I like here, and you feel free to comment on anything I post, I promise I won''t cry.Have a nice day.[:)]

Ah, the voice of wit and repartee could not stay away.......I think I would look at you last post and ask yourself the same question, where have I asked for any thanks or gratitude for starting a thread?Anyway, unlike many people on here I can''t be bothered to be goaded by you, I will leave you to pick holes in other peoples views with your very funny, witty comments and will read in disdain from afar....

Lol, touchy much?I wasn''t goading mate, I didn''t understand eh point you were trying to make.You''re the one getting his knickers all twisty here.

Not looking to disagree with anyone particularly but the thread title was intriguing, provocative even but the content of the OP was just a celebration of or an appreciation of our manager, a bloke we''d all like to "big up" and what if anything is wrong with that?

Anyway, I don''t think PL has set out to hoodwink any of us, we can do that to ourselves much more easily. We''re all dreaming right now and we don''t want that dream to end but the voodoo that he do do so well is actually in managing our expectations, he never gets carried away, he quietly and reassuringly just tells us what the team have got to keep doing. It''s a very football managerial thing because he''s also managing the Board''s expectations and neither screams that he needs more money or that he can work miracles with the budget he''s had, he just seems to be working miracles.

I think it''s a good and interesting opening post and if we do win promotion there will be hundreds like it, let''s just not jinx it yet!

I must say that my initial reaction to the original post was exactly the same as Morty''s. I am still a little unsure as to the point the poster is trying to make. In what sense have people been hoodwinked?

I don''t see how we have been duped in any way. The implication seems to be that we were led to believe that Lambert brought in a few new faces in his early days here and has made no changes since then until - voila- suddenly the whole team has changed without us spotting. "Aha; gotcha!!" All new signings have been well publicised. Nothing was ushered in through the back door. There was even a significant debate on this very diuscussion board over the summer about whether Lambert was right to bring in so many new faces rather than stick with the majority of the team that won League 1 so convincingly (would it break the team spirit, etc.)

I agree that Lambert uses psychology to get the best out of his players; but, again, where is the hoodwinking in that? He is constantly supportive of his players, keeps the fans expectations grounded, and emphasises the fact that it is a team effort. Again, where is the hoodwinking?

I take on board your initial caveats that these were just your observations and not even up for discussion. I just got to the end of your post and wondered what in God''s name you were talking about. I am still not really sure, having re-read your OP several times and your follow up responses.

[quote user="morty"]Lol, touchy much?I wasn''t goading mate, I didn''t understand eh point you were trying to make.You''re the one getting his knickers all twisty here.[/quote]I also find you very prone to deliberate provocation morty.Remember this is a fans forum for everybody and not just individual egos.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="morty"]Lol, touchy much?I wasn''t goading mate, I didn''t understand eh point you were trying to make.You''re the one getting his knickers all twisty here.[/quote]I also find you very prone to deliberate provocation morty.Remember this is a fans forum for everybody and not just individual egos.[/quote]Ah, delicious irony, my fine feathered friend.[;)]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="morty"]Lol, touchy much?

I wasn''t goading mate, I didn''t understand eh point you were trying to make.

You''re the one getting his knickers all twisty here.
[/quote]

I also find you very prone to deliberate provocation morty.

Remember this is a fans forum for everybody and not just individual egos.
[/quote]

Can i join in just so when Bly gets up he can launch into the Inner Circle routine?

The thought of me on this thread will be too much to resist for Cluckbert and Bly so Morty i will divert the flack from you and take the tiresome thick dozey plod routine.Not forgetting of course the Chase out remnants and ego digs.[;)]

Please do not forget "this is a forum for everbody" as long as you agree with Cluckbert and Bly.[:P]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="morty"]Lol, touchy much?

I wasn''t goading mate, I didn''t understand eh point you were trying to make.

You''re the one getting his knickers all twisty here.
[/quote]

I also find you very prone to deliberate provocation morty.

Remember this is a fans forum for everybody and not just individual egos.
[/quote]

I agreed with one of your posts for the first time last week and now you have made me laugh as well. Something is seriously amiss.

[quote user="Chip20"]IThe implication seems to be that we were led to believe that Lambert brought in a few new faces in his early days here and has made no changes since then until - voila- suddenly the whole team has changed without us spotting. "Aha; gotcha!!" All new signings have been well publicised. Nothing was ushered in through the back door. There was even a significant debate on this very diuscussion board over the summer about whether Lambert was right to bring in so many new faces rather than stick with the majority of the team that won League 1 so convincingly (would it break the team spirit, etc.) [/quote]

The key point is that he didn''t bring in wholesale changes right at the beginning of the season - its been evolution not revolution.  Starting with relatively the same squad he has added to it as he progressed, ensuring if anyone was hoodwinked it was the players who still seem to feel loved and thus perform well.  top management again.  On this basis if we do get promoted I would not expect a sudden in-rush of new players over the close season - again evolution not revolution would seem to be the way he plays it.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

The key point is that he didn''t bring in wholesale changes right at the beginning of the season - its been evolution not revolution.  Starting with relatively the same squad he has added to it as he progressed, ensuring if anyone was hoodwinked it was the players who still seem to feel loved and thus perform well.  top management again.  On this basis if we do get promoted I would not expect a sudden in-rush of new players over the close season - again evolution not revolution would seem to be the way he plays it.

[/quote]

Ah; suddenly everything becomes clear. I''m still not convinced that anybody has been hoodwinked, but I suspect it is just a case of the OP perhaps using the wrong word.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="morty"]Lol, touchy much?I wasn''t goading mate, I didn''t understand eh point you were trying to make.You''re the one getting his knickers all twisty here.[/quote]I also find you very prone to deliberate provocation morty.Remember this is a fans forum for everybody and not just individual egos.[/quote]

I agreed with one of your posts for the first time last week and now you have made me laugh as well. Something is seriously amiss.

[/quote]Well.... don''t people like morty get on your nerves?Someone had to say it.  [;)]

Well I think I got the OP''s point straight away!..

It does seem that PL has a terrific way of making changes whilst appearing to have maintained the good bits that existed in the first place with minimal disruption to the squad. It''s all to do with focus; PL preferring to mention the stability of the team ahead of what''s new. Given PL is usually successful, most of us have developed a high acceptance level regarding his actions - so we barely notice his less-than-successful decisions anyway. PL is a master at maintaining focus; he''s even more adept at getting others to do the same. That''s his true value.

If fans occasionally wake up and realise there have been more changes than they thought, imagine what happens when certain players do the same; by that stage they may find themselves on loan at Gillingham, Bradford or Yeovil. Maybe captaining Scunthorpe or ousted far away to Charlton or Preston!

PL''s methodology is not so much ''hoodwinking'' - more of a gentle evolution really, carefully crafted using top-drawer people management skills.