Sign in to follow this  
jeagle

Super Chris

As far as I''m concerned, we''ve not got approx 48 hours to show how much we really want this, we cant afford to leave anything to chance for the sake of ''hoping'' that either Martin/Jackson/Wilbraham will chip in with the goals we need to see us over the line.

People may critisise the ''mercenaries'' that Leicester have acquired on loan, but if we were to miss out on 2nd and Leicester sneak into a playoff place, should we meet them, all it would take is Kamara/Yakubu to ''click'' on one night and 9 months of hard work would be gone in a flash.

I see what you mean about that post Alex, but i am getting quite frustrated with the general attitude of Norwich fans. I know its probably just as annoying, with me and others keep on saying ''were second'' and ''Look where we were last season'' etc. But its true, we are second. Chris Martin has missed the last 7 games, Jackson has only started 3/4 of those, and Wilbraham has missed 2 of them as well. Yet we are still in top 2/3 teams form wise, and second postion league wise. We have only lost twice? Since the start of December, in fact make that November, and i think the draws (going slightly off topic here) although not ''good'' results, do mean one point instead of none, and also means we didn''t lose, which are very obvious, but look at the other teams who lost recently, i''m fairly sure 3/4 of the top 6 lost 2 in a row? With a draw, it seems to give us the motivation to go out and win the next game.

Not back onto my point, which i have forgotten :P Chris Martin, will hopefully be back for the Scunny game, and if he is, i really want people to watch what he adds to the team, and realise why despite only scoring 4 goals, he has started 21 times, and come off the bench pretty much every game he hasn''t started, how many games has Jackson had no part in this season? (7 or 8 i think, and has he been injured? I don''t think so). Martin has obviously not hit the ground running as such, as his scoring record would indicate, but we will not know until next season wether this is a one off, or wether he isn''t up to it at this level. But his performances, and what he adds to the team is very important, he does link up very well, he does/should/had an eye for goal, and can hit decent shots from outside the area, maybe should have tried a few more times this season, maybe he has been told not too, as we can''t afford to waste chances?

Ahh, my point :P Basically, a loan player would be nice, someone like CMS who is scoring loads would have been lovely, but why do you think Pboro wanted so much money for him? If he had been injured half the season, only played a few games, he probably would have been only worth £1 million. But Lambert seemingly (not trying to second guess him, just my educated guess) can''t get the players he wants, if you base it on the one player we know certainly we tried to get, he wants a striker who is on form, which makes sense, otherwise we just have another Martin/Jackson case, a decent player but not adding goals. blah blah blah, i''m going to stop writing :P

[quote user="Ncfc"]Chris Martin does not bring goals to the side and that''s what we need , found his level last season and cannot make the step up much like Jackson .[/quote]Martin has been our best option alongside Holt every time I''ve seen him this season. He''s not afraid to shoot, unlike a lot of our team when the going gets tough, and although he might not be scoring as prolifically as last year he seems to have matured and some of his work around the pitch has been very good.Not saying I wouldn''t like to see another striker here, but this is rubbish.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Seems fair to have a debate about a striker who''s only scored four goals this season, but I really thought that we''d got past the idea of Martin being lazy.

He''s a really intelligent footballer (not the same as being an intelligent human being, btw), who takes up excellent positions, reads the game really well and links very well between midfield and attack. An ideal second striker to play with Holt, in other words.

The British obsession with the hard-working headless chicken who runs ten miles a game but couldn''t pick a pass to save his life is exactly why the England football team is rubbish.

I''m looking forward to seeing Martin back. Don''t think he''s the saviour, but then we''re second. We don''t need saving. But we could do with another option up front, and he offers something different to Wheelie and Jackson. Of the three, I''d pick Chris.[/quote]Spot on.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="paulo79"]So Nexus as you know everything and are always right, are you saying the Chris Martin has had a good season (up to the injury)??[/quote]Firstly : I do know everythingSecondly : I am always rightSo why should I respond when we have already established I will be correct ? shocking........Yes I think Chris has had a good season, I do not think he has scored enough goals but I think his link up play is second to no-one.[/quote]Agree with this and am another that cannot understand the over-the-top critisism of Martin. Why is it some fans give up on strikers when they''re not scoring goals? It happened with Holt, but hes since ''proven himself'' (not that he needed too) and everyone loves him again. Martin had a great game against Reading where he was unlucky not to score but then unfortunately got injured. Who knows how he would have performed recently (would he have missed the chances Jackson got against Bristol C?) but i do agree he hasnt had the best of seasons up to this point. It must just be he''s a marmite sort of player because im really shocked by some of the comments about him and i certainly dont think Jackson should play ahead of him. His link up play as said before is fantastic and he has shown this all season. He has created chances for others and has had chances himself, some hes taken, some he hasnt.In the games ive seen him play hes never been the worst player or looked like hes had that bad a game. The worst i could say was hes looked anonymous like many others have at times this season. With the finishing no-one can deny he''s got and his other general all round play i think he deserves his place when hes fit again. Looking at the other options: Jackson not playing well and Wilbraham doesnt compliment Holt as much as Martin does, it seems the obvious choice anyway.Hopefully Martin will come back following on from his form just before he got injured and become the ''new signing'' that we''ve all been desperate for in the last few weeks.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Seems fair to have a debate about a striker who''s only scored four goals this season, but I really thought that we''d got past the idea of Martin being lazy.

He''s a really intelligent footballer (not the same as being an intelligent human being, btw), who takes up excellent positions, reads the game really well and links very well between midfield and attack. An ideal second striker to play with Holt, in other words.

The British obsession with the hard-working headless chicken who runs ten miles a game but couldn''t pick a pass to save his life is exactly why the England football team is rubbish.

I''m looking forward to seeing Martin back. Don''t think he''s the saviour, but then we''re second. We don''t need saving. But we could do with another option up front, and he offers something different to Wheelie and Jackson. Of the three, I''d pick Chris.[/quote]Spot on.[/quote]Yeah good post Rob

[quote user="Mason 47"][quote user="Smudger"]Because Chris Martin is definitely one of the most gifted individuals in our squad and is probably the striker who will have most to offer us next season if we do go on to clinch promotion.[/quote]Not being nasty or anything, but that''s what people were saying at the end of last season.

When it comes to the crunch, both have found the step up difficult; we know they CAN both do the business, but they aren''t. Unfortunately, we don''t have time for feet-finding anymore with what''s at stake. I think those advocating getting another striker in are looking at what we could potentially be, instead of what we are. What we are is a team that has come a long, long way in 18 months and has put in an incredible performance so far this season to get us into the position we''re in. What we could be is a cut above; imagine if we''d had another regularly scoring striker to partner Holt from the start this season. Obviously it''s all assumptions and wishful thinking, but with an extra goal in a couple of select games (Forest (A), QPR (A) and Doncaster/ Preston (H) spring to mind) where we could have won but couldn''t push through, QPR''s lead at the top would shrink like Ipswich on derby day.    Despite all that though, I won''t be cursing the Heavens if we go into the final run-in with who we already have- they''re second for a reason, after all.I''d see Wilberforce starting over the other two when he''s fit again. He''s a bit unfashionable, but has proved himself a useful unit and, unlike Jackson and Martin, knows what scoring in 2011 feels like.

[/quote]I think that you have given a bad choice of games to support your slant on this.Forest (a) didn''t Chris Martin hit the woodwork twice in a fantastic performance if memory serves me correctly?Also QPR (a) did Chris Martin not have another excellent game while Holt missed a couple of sitters and Wes missed a penalty???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mason 47"][quote user="Smudger"]Because Chris Martin is definitely one of the most gifted individuals in our squad and is probably the striker who will have most to offer us next season if we do go on to clinch promotion.[/quote]Not being nasty or anything, but that''s what people were saying at the end of last season.

When it comes to the crunch, both have found the step up difficult; we know they CAN both do the business, but they aren''t. Unfortunately, we don''t have time for feet-finding anymore with what''s at stake. I think those advocating getting another striker in are looking at what we could potentially be, instead of what we are. What we are is a team that has come a long, long way in 18 months and has put in an incredible performance so far this season to get us into the position we''re in. What we could be is a cut above; imagine if we''d had another regularly scoring striker to partner Holt from the start this season. Obviously it''s all assumptions and wishful thinking, but with an extra goal in a couple of select games (Forest (A), QPR (A) and Doncaster/ Preston (H) spring to mind) where we could have won but couldn''t push through, QPR''s lead at the top would shrink like Ipswich on derby day.    Despite all that though, I won''t be cursing the Heavens if we go into the final run-in with who we already have- they''re second for a reason, after all.I''d see Wilberforce starting over the other two when he''s fit again. He''s a bit unfashionable, but has proved himself a useful unit and, unlike Jackson and Martin, knows what scoring in 2011 feels like.

[/quote]I think that you have given a bad choice of games to support your slant on this.Forest (a) didn''t Chris Martin hit the woodwork twice in a fantastic performance if memory serves me correctly?Also QPR (a) did Chris Martin not have another excellent game while Holt missed a couple of sitters and Wes missed a penalty???

[/quote]Yeh had a great game, number of decent long shots, good passing play and set up our goal

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mason 47"][quote user="Smudger"]Because Chris Martin is definitely one of the most gifted individuals in our squad and is probably the striker who will have most to offer us next season if we do go on to clinch promotion.[/quote]Not being nasty or anything, but that''s what people were saying at the end of last season.

[/quote]For the record, the rest of the post below my first line wasn''t really written with Martin alone in mind.Forest (A) we should have won, and QPR (A) we could well have won, Martin included in the plaudits for the team on both occasions. My point was more towards the thinking of maybe if we had had an extra, different threat (even just to be brought on in the latter stages) we might have been able to turn some good points into great wins.Martin compliments Holt more, whilst Jackson gives us a different dimension in our attacking play. Wilbo takes the onus to be physical off of Holt somewhat and allows him to exploit other areas of the pitch. Whilst these are all nice things to have, the key thing is that they aren''t getting goals as well. We got to second with what we have, so could assume that we have enough to see us through; however, should anything happen to Holt we''re doomed (DOOMED) so in my eyes I can see the logic in trying to get someone in as insurance. I know he''s had a rough season, but Scott McDonald at Boro would be who I would be looking at. Middlesbrough hasn''t been great for him (though that''s true for most at the minute) and having watched him a lot at Motherwell and Celtic I''d pick him out as the sort of player who would pop up with a couple of timely goals for us.