Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

Trains to Sheffield

Looking at train fares to Sheffield on the 22nd and the cheapest i can get it down to is £64.50 each for four of us. Any one got any ideas how we might get it a bit cheaper?

Shows how late you''ve left it then. I catch the train that goes to Liverpool, via Sheffield and get each way for £19 (last time was December before the hikes admittedly). It''s a diddy train - 2 carriages only - and gets packed. They have limited tickets at those prices and limited booking. Going up won''t be a problem getting seats, even if reservations aren''t out as it''s the start but coming back will be packed. You''ll be lucky to get a seat unless pre-booked (providing reservations are out of course).

As a former University of Sheffield student I know these routes very well so I''ve had a quick look at my old ticketing haunts...

Megatrain - nothing outbound on the Saturday itself that would get you there in time for kick off, but if you fancy going up on the Friday evening departing Norwich 1657 arriving 2027 (Sheffield''s a good night out!) and returning Saturday evening at 1938 arriving Norwich 2318 it would be £25 each return, both trains are direct all the way.

Alternatively try splitting your tickets. An off peak return from Norwich to Peterborough £17.70, so then you just need the Peterborough to Sheffield return element - various different advance fares currently available, but you could get this for £25 or less, making it a total of around £40-ish return each. You might even be able to stay on the same train all the way - see what you can manage with the fares available on the website.

from peterborough booked in advance 1 adult and 4 under 16''s total cost £31 return with seats reserved on both legs>It pays too buy well in advance i have saved loads of money buy doing this (went to Cardiff for 16 quid return) seats reserved on both legs and that included tube as well.Lest face it i couldn''t do it in my car for that price,and i get to relax and chill out "let the train take the strain*[:D]

[quote user="s10_yellow"]As a former University of Sheffield student I know these routes very well so I''ve had a quick look at my old ticketing haunts...

Megatrain - nothing outbound on the Saturday itself that would get you there in time for kick off, but if you fancy going up on the Friday evening departing Norwich 1657 arriving 2027 (Sheffield''s a good night out!) and returning Saturday evening at 1938 arriving Norwich 2318 it would be £25 each return, both trains are direct all the way.

Alternatively try splitting your tickets. An off peak return from Norwich to Peterborough £17.70, so then you just need the Peterborough to Sheffield return element - various different advance fares currently available, but you could get this for £25 or less, making it a total of around £40-ish return each. You might even be able to stay on the same train all the way - see what you can manage with the fares available on the website.[/quote] Thanks very much..

Cheapest way is to get a return from Norwich-Peterborough, Peterborough-Grantham, Grantham-Nottingham and finally Nottingham to Sheffield (still all on the same train).

With my disabled railcard, a return from Norwich to Sheffield is about £92 (for my carer and I), splitting it up like that brings it down to £60.

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

Cheapest way is to [/quote]

drive is you have a car [:D]

Group ticket.. 4 in a group works out at buy 4 tickets for the price of 2 but can only be done inside the station.. also you must travel together... I know it works for London trains and also been to Birmingham with this offer

Badcanary - that''s GroupSave and unforunately it''s only for ''London and the South East'' - it does go as far as Birmingham as you say, but it can''t be used to go to Sheffield.

This map shows the restrictions http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/media/16370/groupsave.pdf

You can use GroupSave on EMT from Norwich to Sheffield, they just don''t advertise it very well.http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/Tickets/pages/specialoffers.aspxThe Caps are doing it for £20 return from London.

mega train, im going on the friday for 12.50 and returning on that saturday for the same. Helps if you have friends in sheffield you can crash at.

I see that it says tickets are about £25 on the Canaries site (pretty reasonable compared to other games). Does anyone know if this is likely to be higher if I get tickets on matchday at Sheffield and if so, how much by roughly? Cheers

I think they usually make it clear beforehand if the tickets are going to go up in price on matchday so I imagine that for this one it will stay the same (as long as there are tickets left to sell on the day).

Got to leave my decision as late as possible for this one what with work to be completed this week and backlog to pile up soon.

I''d guess we won''t sell the 3,000 tickets so i''m safe buying on the gate.

[quote user="s10_yellow"]I think they usually make it clear beforehand if the tickets are going to go up in price on matchday so I imagine that for this one it will stay the same (as long as there are tickets left to sell on the day).
[/quote]

Cheers S10.

I may just book my train tickets now because I can get 2 cheap singles for a total of £15 from York. Makes a change from some train prices I''ve paid. If I can book my tickets online after work I will, otherwise may chance getting them on the day. I''m sure there''d be tickets left (he says)

[quote user="jim blair"]

Just phoned EMT to book and was told no group save tickets between Norwich and Sheffield.

[/quote]

Yeah I wouldn''t trust them.. Best to go down the station and ask.