Sign in to follow this  
H4H

East Anglian derby

Wikipedia - According to the Football Rivalries Report 2008, the East Anglian derby is the second fiercest rivalry in England after the Black Country derby between West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Would you agree with this, and what do tehe base it on??

I remember this report when it came out.

It''s based on a mutual rivalry - for example some Man U fans may list Man City, some Leeds and some Arsenal as their rivals. But it''s not always replicated the other way around, eg: Spurs fans might name Arsenal as their rival and some Arsenal fans will list Spurs, but there will also be Arsenal fans that say Man Utd is their rival.

Where as we would list Ipswich as our number 1 rival and they would do the same with us.

bit old now but still relevant

http://www.footballfanscensus.com/issueresults/Club_Rivalries_Uncovered_Results.pdf

[quote user="CaptCanary"]I remember this report when it came out. It''s based on a mutual rivalry - for example some Man U fans may list Man City, some Leeds and some Arsenal as their rivals. But it''s not always replicated the other way around, eg: Spurs fans might name Arsenal as their rival and some Arsenal fans will list Spurs, but there will also be Arsenal fans that say Man Utd is their rival. Where as we would list Ipswich as our number 1 rival and they would do the same with us.[/quote]If this is true, then I am actually surprised we are not first. Not saying we are more individually rivals than everyone else, but certainly more than WBA and Wolves. Purely because they are both rivals (sort of) with Bham and Villa also?

I''d say Soton/Pompey is also a fairly unique rivalry, as is Cardiff/Swansea and Newcastle/Sunderland.

According to that survey, our 3 main rivals (in order) are:

Ipswich,obviously

Wolves, again not so surprisingly

Sheffield Utd, why can someone tell me?

[quote user="El Choppo"]Strangely, Brighton''s biggest rivals are Crystal Palace.[/quote]

brighton and palace are well known rivals, basically one straight road from each other...ask any palace/brighton fan who they hate most, a few might say millwall but the majority will say each other, back in the 90''s a palace friend of mine was involved in a group of 100 or so that got chased down brighton beach/pier after one game

To be fair though Chops there are no clubs near to Brighton. Palarse would be straight up the motorway and on into London. There''s no other clubs even remotely near them.

I did find it amusing that Wigan consider Bolton their biggest rivals yet they consider Man Ure to be theirs. No one even cares enough about Wigan to hate them, the only team to even suggest wigan was a rival was Oldham and that was only as a 2nd placed one.

Also Colchester and Wycombe consider each other as main rivals, what''s with that? No wonder their fans made such a big thing over us last season.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]To be fair though Chops there are no clubs near to Brighton. Palarse would be straight up the motorway and on into London. There''s no other clubs even remotely near them.

I did find it amusing that Wigan consider Bolton their biggest rivals yet they consider Man Ure to be theirs. No one even cares enough about Wigan to hate them, the only team to even suggest wigan was a rival was Oldham and that was only as a 2nd placed one.

Also Colchester and Wycombe consider each other as main rivals, what''s with that? No wonder their fans made such a big thing over us last season.

Davo[/quote]They had big fights after a cup (I think) game 1 season, and have hated eachother since.

[quote user="Davo"]To be fair though Chops there are no clubs near to Brighton. Palarse would be straight up the motorway and on into London. There''s no other clubs even remotely near them.

Davo[/quote]

I believe the ColU v Wycscum rivalry dates back to when both teams were non league in the early 90''s. They were the 2 best teams in the Conference and fought out promotion all season. ColU were eventually victorious winning the Conference Championship & the FA Trophy double in ''92 to win promotion to the Football League. Wycombe (under Martin O''Neill) then repeated the feat the following season.