Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

NCISA Web Site

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="GRFC"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="GRFC"]

Site fails to validate!

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncisa.co.uk%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

[/quote]

Yes so will a lot of sites that use a background management system.

Not a problem to anyone other than yourself.

So pleased you have had time to point this out.[:D]

[/quote]

The following is taken from the W3C Website. http://validator.w3.org/docs/why.html
I do hope that you find it of some interest....

Validation, as any process of debugging code, is sometimes difficult, and the vast improvements in automatic error correction has made modern browser cope very well with errors in HTML or CSS. This makes validation seem useless or costly to many people, and the following questions (or statement) are widespread:

“My site looks right and works fine - isn''t that enough?”

The answer to this one is that markup languages are no more than data formats. So a website doesn''t look like anything at all! It only takes on a visual appearance when it is presented by your browser.

In practice, different browsers can and do display the same page very differently. This is deliberate, and doesn''t imply any kind of browser bug. A term sometimes used for this is WYSINWOG - What You See Is Not What Others Get (unless by coincidence). It is indeed one of the principal strengths of the web, that (for example) a visually impaired user can select very large print or text-to-speech without a publisher having to go to the trouble and expense of preparing a separate edition.

“Lots of websites out there don''t validate - including household-name companies.”

Do remember: household-name companies expect people to visit because of the name and in spite of dreadful websites. Can you afford that luxury?

Even if you can, do you want to risk being on the wrong side of a lawsuit if your site proves inaccessible to - for instance - a disabled person who cannot use a ''conventional'' browser? Accessibility is the law in many countries. Whilst validation doesn''t guarantee accessibility (there is no substitute for common sense), it should be an important component of exercising "due diligence". It is now just over a year since a court first awarded damages to a blind user against the owners of a website he found inaccessible (Maguire vs SOCOG, August 2000).

“Validation means boring websites, and stifles creativity”

That might have been the case a decade ago, when validation was the tool of choice of people more interested in harnessing the power of the markup languages than creating beautiful designs for their content; when many designers were not taught basics of Web technology and would create beautiful but fragile and unreliable web sites.

This argument is completely moot today. In the past decade, most of the stunning, content and design-rich Web sites were built with standard (X)HTML, CSS and scripting.

[/quote]

The reason NCISA does not validate is all the content is dynamic  and is not static html. Finally for your information try validating www.google.co.uk as it throws up a pile of errors.

Errors found while checking this document as HTML5!

Top of Form

www.google.co.uk Result:

46 Errors, 2 warning(s)

If it''s good enough for Google!

By the way are you a member of NCISA?

[/quote]

Google did not advertise on here that they are ready for comments and wearing their tin hats.

I don''t know what CMS system you are using, I have however found that dynamic sites built using Joomla 1.5.18 all validate perfectly.

I am not a member of NCISA.

[quote user="GRFC"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="GRFC"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="GRFC"]

Site fails to validate!

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncisa.co.uk%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

[/quote]

Yes so will a lot of sites that use a background management system.

Not a problem to anyone other than yourself.

So pleased you have had time to point this out.[:D]

[/quote]

The following is taken from the W3C Website. http://validator.w3.org/docs/why.html
I do hope that you find it of some interest....

Validation, as any process of debugging code, is sometimes difficult, and the vast improvements in automatic error correction has made modern browser cope very well with errors in HTML or CSS. This makes validation seem useless or costly to many people, and the following questions (or statement) are widespread:

“My site looks right and works fine - isn''t that enough?”

The answer to this one is that markup languages are no more than data formats. So a website doesn''t look like anything at all! It only takes on a visual appearance when it is presented by your browser.

In practice, different browsers can and do display the same page very differently. This is deliberate, and doesn''t imply any kind of browser bug. A term sometimes used for this is WYSINWOG - What You See Is Not What Others Get (unless by coincidence). It is indeed one of the principal strengths of the web, that (for example) a visually impaired user can select very large print or text-to-speech without a publisher having to go to the trouble and expense of preparing a separate edition.

“Lots of websites out there don''t validate - including household-name companies.”

Do remember: household-name companies expect people to visit because of the name and in spite of dreadful websites. Can you afford that luxury?

Even if you can, do you want to risk being on the wrong side of a lawsuit if your site proves inaccessible to - for instance - a disabled person who cannot use a ''conventional'' browser? Accessibility is the law in many countries. Whilst validation doesn''t guarantee accessibility (there is no substitute for common sense), it should be an important component of exercising "due diligence". It is now just over a year since a court first awarded damages to a blind user against the owners of a website he found inaccessible (Maguire vs SOCOG, August 2000).

“Validation means boring websites, and stifles creativity”

That might have been the case a decade ago, when validation was the tool of choice of people more interested in harnessing the power of the markup languages than creating beautiful designs for their content; when many designers were not taught basics of Web technology and would create beautiful but fragile and unreliable web sites.

This argument is completely moot today. In the past decade, most of the stunning, content and design-rich Web sites were built with standard (X)HTML, CSS and scripting.

[/quote]

The reason NCISA does not validate is all the content is dynamic  and is not static html. Finally for your information try validating www.google.co.uk as it throws up a pile of errors.

Errors found while checking this document as HTML5!

Top of Form

www.google.co.uk Result:

46 Errors, 2 warning(s)

If it''s good enough for Google!

By the way are you a member of NCISA?

[/quote]

Google did not advertise on here that they are ready for comments and wearing their tin hats.

I don''t know what CMS system you are using, I have however found that dynamic sites built using Joomla 1.5.18 all validate perfectly.

I am not a member of NCISA.

[/quote]

Thank you for your interest and comments. Lets now call it a day on this and both get back to doing something constructive that might just add to rather than subtract from.[:D]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Hmm? Think I''ll go the old cheque route myself, I''m a bit twichy about PayPal now.

Despite my legv pulls on Tilly you guys need support, you stood firm on Gunn, that impressed me.

[/quote]

Just so you can sleep easy tonight Wiz the hit squad have turned around and are heading back down the A146 towards Norwich.[:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Hmm? Think I''ll go the old cheque route myself, I''m a bit twichy about PayPal now.

Despite my legv pulls on Tilly you guys need support, you stood firm on Gunn, that impressed me.

[/quote]

Just so you can sleep easy tonight Wiz the hit squad have turned around and are heading back down the A146 towards Norwich.[:D]

[/quote]

Hell and you had promised me his virgins[;)]

I have just had a quick look over the new site.It looks like it will certainly be an improvement on the old site and I look forward to seeing it up and running fully.You say that members can get their own e-mail address so can I put my name down for smudger@ncisa.co.uk now please?I am wondering how ineteractive the site will become?  As the details for the competition that you are running should ideally be able to be completed fully by anybody wishing to enter online.  It may be my ignorance, but the PDF Download gives the impression that you need to print off and send in?My only other criticism of what I can see is that it does not include a profile for any of the newer committee members like your good self BUTLER.  Most of the people who know about NCISA already know about Tilly & Co and the History of NCISA.  I would encourage you to get as much as you possibly can on there as soon as possible about the newer committee members and NCISA''s plans for the FUTURE.Good work in what you have done so far though!

[quote user="Montgomery Bumpkin"]

Shouldn''t it include some information on the raison d''etre/goals of NCISA in a fairly prominent position? Something about being a talking shop for egomaniacs and angry nuters which actually accomplishes bugger all would suffice.

The "About us" section is actually a history (yawnnn) of NCISA.

[/quote]For once I agree with you... [:O]NCISA really would be best taking this down for a few days and having a think about the content.  It is important that they are marketing WHAT IS NEW if they are hoping to attract NEW MEMBERS surely?

[quote user="lappinitup"]If I remember correctly, membership was £2 last year and it is now £5. That is exactly the same percentage increase as NCFC are charging for lost season tickets which many have found excessive! In fact, Mr Tilson has been commenting on it today. Is it double standards to be questioning NCFC about a 250% increase, whilst at the same time, implementing the same % increased charges yourself?[/quote]Yes but at £2 NCISA surely didn''t raise the prices since Roy set them up some 15 years ago?  I suggested they increased the price at the start of last season, as I really did not see how they hoped to meet their aims by charging so little. 

[quote user="Smudger"]Yes but at £2 NCISA surely didn''t raise the prices since Roy set them up some 15 years ago?  I suggested they increased the price at the start of last season, as I really did not see how they hoped to meet their aims by charging so little. 
[/quote]And there was me thinking, the reason NCISA had advised fans to take their rebate, was so people could afford their new membership fee![:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Smudger"]Yes but at £2 NCISA surely didn''t raise the prices since Roy set them up some 15 years ago?  I suggested they increased the price at the start of last season, as I really did not see how they hoped to meet their aims by charging so little. 
[/quote]And there was me thinking, the reason NCISA had advised fans to take their rebate, was so people could afford their new membership fee![:S][/quote]

And there was silly old me thinking that our decision over the rebate was taken over a show of hands taken at a turnout of 500 fans at an open meeting.Just goes to show that democracy has no place with your distorted view on certain aspects.

However i do find it fascinating that somebody who is neither a season ticket holder or a member of NCISA shows such great interest in NCISA and the cost of season ticket reprinting.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

However i do find it fascinating that somebody who is neither a season ticket holder or a member of NCISA shows such great interest in NCISA and the cost of season ticket reprinting.

[/quote]

Did he ever find out either way[:^)]

[quote user="Smudger"]I have just had a quick look over the new site.

It looks like it will certainly be an improvement on the old site and I look forward to seeing it up and running fully.

You say that members can get their own e-mail address so can I put my name down for smudger@ncisa.co.uk now please?

I am wondering how ineteractive the site will become?  As the details for the competition that you are running should ideally be able to be completed fully by anybody wishing to enter online.  It may be my ignorance, but the PDF Download gives the impression that you need to print off and send in?

My only other criticism of what I can see is that it does not include a profile for any of the newer committee members like your good self BUTLER.  Most of the people who know about NCISA already know about Tilly & Co and the History of NCISA.  I would encourage you to get as much as you possibly can on there as soon as possible about the newer committee members and NCISA''s plans for the FUTURE.

Good work in what you have done so far though!
[/quote]

Thanks for your kind comments Smudger, I will reserve the e-mail address for you and collect the fee accordingly[:D]

The reason all profiles do not appear is that some of the newer members (your bro included) has not let the Butler have them!!(I am on there)

We will continue to add as we go and new things and benefits for members will appear as and when they become advertisable(is that a word?)

Old photographs of past City truimphs and bits from the NCISA archives will soon be on.

Yes we will welcome input and will try and make an open area for ALL MEMBERS to post to as soon as practicable.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Where the dog goes the master is sure to follow[;)]

[quote user="The Butler"]The reason all profiles do not appear is that some of the newer members (your bro included) has not let the Butler have them!!(I am on there)[/quote]Just a small point Buttles, posters on here know you by your username but how many know which one of the committee you are? Wouldn''t it be an idea to include PU usernames in with committee members profiles along with their mugshots, so when elections come round, members will have an idea of the views of the people they''re voting for? 

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

.....[8]Diddle ding ding ding ding ding ding ding[8]

Banjo, if Pc Tilly says Loopy Loo-pinitup - hasn''t got a season ticket, I''m quite satisfied that the DOOMWATCH hasn''t got one.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]The reason all profiles do not appear is that some of the newer members (your bro included) has not let the Butler have them!!(I am on there)[/quote]Just a small point Buttles, posters on here know you by your username but how many know which one of the committee you are? Wouldn''t it be an idea to include PU usernames in with committee members profiles along with their mugshots, so when elections come round, members will have an idea of the views of the people they''re voting for? [/quote]

Kathy =Kathy Wink [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]The reason all profiles do not appear is that some of the newer members (your bro included) has not let the Butler have them!!(I am on there)[/quote]Just a small point Buttles, posters on here know you by your username but how many know which one of the committee you are? Wouldn''t it be an idea to include PU usernames in with committee members profiles along with their mugshots, so when elections come round, members will have an idea of the views of the people they''re voting for? [/quote]

Let me help you out here Lapp.Kathy has already told you...... Kathy=Kathy.

Daphne=Daphne

Gazza=Gary

Til=Tilly

[;)]

You make the mistake of assuming that ALL members or prospective members use the pinkun!

What I post on here, unless I state differently, is my view,nothing to do with NCISA.

Therefore I remain on the pinkun The Butler.

Anybody wanting to know differently can come to the BBQ press a £5 note into my hand and I will confess [:D]

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Smudger"]I have just had a quick look over the new site.It looks like it will certainly be an improvement on the old site and I look forward to seeing it up and running fully.You say that members can get their own e-mail address so can I put my name down for smudger@ncisa.co.uk now please?I am wondering how ineteractive the site will become?  As the details for the competition that you are running should ideally be able to be completed fully by anybody wishing to enter online.  It may be my ignorance, but the PDF Download gives the impression that you need to print off and send in?My only other criticism of what I can see is that it does not include a profile for any of the newer committee members like your good self BUTLER.  Most of the people who know about NCISA already know about Tilly & Co and the History of NCISA.  I would encourage you to get as much as you possibly can on there as soon as possible about the newer committee members and NCISA''s plans for the FUTURE.Good work in what you have done so far though![/quote]

Thanks for your kind comments Smudger, I will reserve the e-mail address for you and collect the fee accordingly[:D]

The reason all profiles do not appear is that some of the newer members (your bro included) has not let the Butler have them!!(I am on there)

We will continue to add as we go and new things and benefits for members will appear as and when they become advertisable(is that a word?)

Old photographs of past City truimphs and bits from the NCISA archives will soon be on.

Yes we will welcome input and will try and make an open area for ALL MEMBERS to post to as soon as practicable.

[/quote]I will give them a kick up the backside for you next time I see them! [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]The reason all profiles do not appear is that some of the newer members (your bro included) has not let the Butler have them!!(I am on there)[/quote]Just a small point Buttles, posters on here know you by your username but how many know which one of the committee you are? Wouldn''t it be an idea to include PU usernames in with committee members profiles along with their mugshots, so when elections come round, members will have an idea of the views of the people they''re voting for? [/quote]...and Lapp and First Wiz can vote for the ones they like the look of!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="lappinitup"]members will have an idea of the views of the people they''re voting for?[/quote]What I post on here, unless I state differently, is my view, nothing to do with NCISA.[/quote]I think that''s what I said, Buttles! [:D]

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

.....[8]Diddle ding ding ding ding ding ding ding[8]

Banjo, if Pc Tilly says Loopy Loo-pinitup - hasn''t got a season ticket, I''m quite satisfied that the DOOMWATCH hasn''t got one.

[/quote]

Well there''s a thing pet! I s''pose if Pc Tilly told you it was warm outside you wouldn''t wear a coat...

My feedback on the new website is that its a big improvement on your old outdated one, guess once its finished it''ll become clearer as to what it will have to offer us members.

Questions on what I can see so far

Think someone else posted that you haven’t got you’re your aims, goals & objectives on there, is that  something still to be decided?

Think a forum was mentioned so NCISA members can chat to each other rather than using the pinkun, will that be live before the season starts and will that be for just members or will anyone be able to post on there?

Also agree with the person who said the ‘’About us’’ section would be better renamed '''' History of NCISA'''' as that’s what it appears to be.

Will there be pictures of committee members, that might be helpful  also will you be adding everyone’s contact details so that we know how to get in touch with each individual if we have an idea or query?

Hopefully your website will make people more aware of you and what you’re about which will hopefully increase your membership. Think it was mentioned last season that you had under 500 paid members, which is only 2% of the regular 25,000 fans we will have at Carrow Road next year. There’s a big market out there for you and the more members you have the bigger voice you’ll have and the more chance of being taken seriously.

[quote user="cityangel"]

My feedback on the new website is that its a big improvement on your old outdated one, guess once its finished it''ll become clearer as to what it will have to offer us members.

Questions on what I can see so far

Think someone else posted that you haven’t got you’re your aims, goals & objectives on there, is that  something still to be decided?

Leaving Aims and Goals to J Cureton . Seriously that will appear VERY SOON

Think a forum was mentioned so NCISA members can chat to each other rather than using the pinkun, will that be live before the season starts and will that be for just members or will anyone be able to post on there?

Who mentioned it? Is possible in future but not as yet. Members will have a page to leave messages articles photos etc.

Also agree with the person who said the ‘’About us’’ section would be better renamed '''' History of NCISA'''' as that’s what it appears to be.

Again at present, more will be added. I am gathering data. All input welcome

Will there be pictures of committee members, that might be helpful  also will you be adding everyone’s contact details so that we know how to get in touch with each individual if we have an idea or query?

No, that''s already been stated several times. Contact details will be published very soon as they will be ...@ncisa.co.uk

Hopefully your website will make people more aware of you and what you’re about which will hopefully increase your membership. Think it was mentioned last season that you had under 500 paid members, which is only 2% of the regular 25,000 fans we will have at Carrow Road next year. There’s a big market out there for you and the more members you have the bigger voice you’ll have and the more chance of being taken seriously.

That''s the idea of a lot of what we are doing

[/quote]

Thanks CA must be getting there if we have got away that lightly[:D]

PS

There is a new constitution and mission statement being drawn(has been) up ready for the AGM.

More will follow from that.

Again thanks CA for your interest.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

I didn''t dare ask too many questions as my previous ones were perceived as upsetting you and I''m fed up with sitting on the naughty step.[:)]

Thankyou for thanking me for my interest because thats all its ever been and well done for your efforts so far.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

I didn''t dare ask too many questions as my previous ones were perceived as upsetting you and I''m fed up with sitting on the naughty step.[:)]

Thankyou for thanking me for my interest because thats all its ever been and well done for your efforts so far.

[/quote]

OK then you can give out the pencils next week[;)]

[quote user="cityangel"]Thankyou for thanking me[/quote]Thank you CA for thanking the Butler for thanking you! [:D][;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="cityangel"]Thankyou for thanking me[/quote]Thank you CA for thanking the Butler for thanking you! [:D][;)][/quote]

Thank you for thanking CA for thanking me for thanking her!