Sign in to follow this  
Official Joe

Bogey Teams and London

Many people believe that Norwich rarely win in London and have bogey teams - stats do back this up and to an extent I do agree. Personally I don''t think we will get much from Charlton but it got me thinking as to why teams have so called bogey teams.

Each and every time we have lost to London clubs have been with different players, different managers and different boards. Its a new game and a new day - no reason to blame this curse.

[quote user="Babyface"]Many people believe that Norwich rarely win in London and have bogey teams - stats do back this up and to an extent I do agree. Personally I don''t think we will get much from Charlton but it got me thinking as to why teams have so called bogey teams.

Each and every time we have lost to London clubs have been with different players, different managers and different boards. Its a new game and a new day - no reason to blame this curse.[/quote]The way you put it it sounds like there''s every reason to blame the curse. [:|]

[quote user="Babyface"]Many people believe that Norwich rarely win in London and have bogey teams - stats do back this up and to an extent I do agree. Personally I don''t think we will get much from Charlton but it got me thinking as to why teams have so called bogey teams. Each and every time we have lost to London clubs have been with different players, different managers and different boards. Its a new game and a new day - no reason to blame this curse.[/quote]I have heard through the grapevine, that 1st Wiz has slaughtered 9 yes 9 virgins(or nearly virgins) to break our London curse[;)]

I did keep going back to see how long this baron run against london teams went on for, it didn''t get much better, 69 games 8won, 17drawn 44 loses, (that goes back to our spell in europe 1993-94 season) but between 1990 - 1993 we played 19, 10 won, 2 Drawn, 7 lost.

Add that together thats 88played 18won, 19Drawn, 49lost.

Like alot of stats you can make them look like what ever you like.  I thought I''d look at our head to head against charlton but we''ll say no more.

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]We''ll win on Saturday[/quote]

I''ve lived in SE London for 30+ years and have only seen us beat CAFC once! it was nearly 20 years ago in 1990, and we havent beaten them away since.

massive bogey side!

Wolves Man City and Coventry are the Bogey sides I always think , Wasn;t aware fo our record at Charlton , but they may become fourth on the list - on the upside we always do well against Sunderland , West Brom and Watford

Yep, I remember our form with those boys too...especially

Cov.

Strangely enough we beat CAFC away 3 game consecutively before our 19 years and

50 week record (please lets not make 20 years)

who are we a bogey side for? We used to do well against Man U (pre Prem) and West Ham...any others?

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Babyface"]Many people believe that Norwich rarely win in London and have bogey teams - stats do back this up and to an extent I do agree. Personally I don''t think we will get much from Charlton but it got me thinking as to why teams have so called bogey teams. Each and every time we have lost to London clubs have been with different players, different managers and different boards. Its a new game and a new day - no reason to blame this curse.[/quote]I have heard through the grapevine, that 1st Wiz has slaughtered 9 yes 9 virgins(or nearly virgins) to break our London curse[;)][/quote]

Got nine (now ex) virgins slaughtered, surely?

Is 1 win in 26 in London merely coincidence or could there be more to it than that?

Could it be that our pre-game routine re: hotels/travel/training isn''t right when travelling to the capital?

are we staying overnight before the game when we shouldn''t be?, or indeed vise versa?

[quote user="gary "]Wolves Man City and Coventry are the Bogey sides I always think , Wasn;t aware fo our record at Charlton , but they may become fourth on the list - on the upside we always do well against Sunderland , West Brom and Watford[/quote]

Wolves! I think they would beg to differ. Turning them over in the play offs. Last season hammering them 5-2 and drawing 3-3 despite us being rubbish and them winning the league.

[quote user="farley"]

who are we a bogey side for?

Barnsley.
[/quote]

This is going back into history a bit but Alex Ferguson always commentated that we always seemed to beat United. Hell, we even turned them over the last time we were up there.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Babyface"]Many people believe that Norwich rarely win in London and have bogey teams - stats do back this up and to an extent I do agree. Personally I don''t think we will get much from Charlton but it got me thinking as to why teams have so called bogey teams. Each and every time we have lost to London clubs have been with different players, different managers and different boards. Its a new game and a new day - no reason to blame this curse.[/quote]I have heard through the grapevine, that 1st Wiz has slaughtered 9 yes 9 virgins(or nearly virgins) to break our London curse[;)][/quote]

Where the heck did he find 9?  Personally I think that''s virgin on the ridiculous

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Croydon Canary"]The ultimate bobey team has to be the old Wimbledon,they always seemed to do a number on us.[/quote]

What about Spurs away?

[/quote]I went to Spurs away in our Prem season and we got a 0-0 and hit the post, should have nicked it.

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]doom mongers the lot of you who remembers charlton in 71 3 0 to city is that in the stats same result for us tomorrow[/quote]Well we managed to win 2-0 there on the famous '' Hot Cross Bone Day '' over Easter in April 1972 so maybe April 2010 will produce a similar result......

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="farley"]who are we a bogey side for? Barnsley.[/quote]

This is going back into history a bit but Alex Ferguson always commentated that we always seemed to beat United. Hell, we even turned them over the last time we were up there.

[/quote]I think we lost 2-1 last time we played there but we did have a fabulous record against them in the late 80''s/early 90''s. Sadly that had disappeared by the time we secured a 2-2 draw just before the Inter Milan game as that was the only point we were to get in 10 consecutive meetings.Incidentally when Ruel Fox converted the equalising penalty that day Man Utd didn''t have a penalty scored against them at Old Trafford for a full 10 years after that.That''s one hell of a record ( or maybe a lot of intimidated referees )......

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="farley"]

who are we a bogey side for?

Barnsley.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think we lost 2-1 last time we played there but we did have a fabulous record against them in the late 80''s/early 90''s. Sadly that had disappeared by the time we secured a 2-2 draw just before the Inter Milan game as that was the only point we were to get in 10 consecutive meetings.

Incidentally when Ruel Fox converted the equalising penalty that day Man Utd didn''t have a penalty scored against them at Old Trafford for a full 10 years after that.

That''s one hell of a record ( or maybe a lot of intimidated referees )......
[/quote]

I remember it well...Bentley hit a screamer against the bar at our end before alan smith did us with a pearler! i think McVeigh scored ours at the death to make it a tad funky in the last 10. I had a great night out at sankey soaps (top Manc night spot) that night too...all kinds of wrongness.