Sign in to follow this  
Barclaybred

McNamee/Fox...

Having watched fox progress into our line up from around 88..After a couple of great displays as sub in 86/87 season he had a good run in the side in 87/88 but towards the end wasnt producing what he original did when he burst onto the scene.The following season even when he wasnt injured,he hardly got a game and when he did mainly from subs apps here and there,he was loved by half the barclay and barracked by the rest for losing the ball too much! ..And the ones who loved him forgave him this as his moments of genius,like skinning a player,or whipping in a perfect cross for some t####we bought from qpr would fluff! ..And last night i decided to look at those seasons on dvd(i copied from vhs)..to make comparisons and there is a lot of similarity! ..This love hate relationship continued until the 92/93 when fox was now almost a perm feature and his all round play was better! ..Also reading old pinkun soapboxe letters from then  were also enlightening! ...Nov 19th..We had just played everton away.1.1But the soapbox letters were concerning the previous match against shef wed at home..And 2 seprerate anti fox statements "He is too light weight for the 1st div and cannot tackle!.at least foggo used to get stuck in!" And "As a youth player,he looked the business,but as he has not progressed! Mr you are not a one man show and out of all the tricks and stepovers only twice did you beat a wednesday player! The other times you gave the ball away too cheaply" ..Now fast forward to the 92/93 season and fox is now a hero on soapbox i March 17th 93 played forest at home a week after we beat sheff utd away 1 nil .."I travelled up to sheffield last week and the difference between our two side was fox! He was amazing! they employed 2 defenders at close watch and 1 about 2 feet from him..this often led to large gaps for crook to expoit.and he topped it off with a fine goal! Top on merit i say" ...Mcnamee,when i have seen him,have pulled players out of position and scared the beejeezus out of their full back! ..Give the lad a chance,he has shown promise with us already and like fox,can contribute just by being there and stretching their defence! ...Im a fan :)

I would draw quite a distinction between Fox and McNamee. The former came through our youth team, performed to a high standard with us in the premiership and went on to play for a couple of top premiership clubs. Mc namee is @ 26/27 and has had a few championship/league 1 clubs already. I think he is ok but to be honest i think Fox was streets ahead of him

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I would draw quite a distinction between Fox and McNamee. The former came through our youth team, performed to a high standard with us in the premiership and went on to play for a couple of top premiership clubs. Mc namee is @ 26/27 and has had a few championship/league 1 clubs already. I think he is ok but to be honest i think Fox was streets ahead of him[/quote]

Ditto

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I would draw quite a distinction between Fox and McNamee. The former came through our youth team, performed to a high standard with us in the premiership and went on to play for a couple of top premiership clubs. Mc namee is @ 26/27 and has had a few championship/league 1 clubs already. I think he is ok but to be honest i think Fox was streets ahead of him[/quote]

QFT

I said that in squares,he reminds me of fox,and was told i shouldnt say that out loud! ..I thought the bloke was joking,but you never know! ..Thanks for the u tube link,and lets hope we allow him to devolope like fox...By way when reading those comments from 88 etc, i took it the refrence to foggo meant we had a winger who was the complete article..so i did some googling and it was a ken foggo who scored loads of goals! so wasnt he a striker then rather than a winger?

I agree with you, however what I would add is that we''re not a premier league team, so for a player to be as good for us now as Fox was then does not require a player as good as Fox.

You missed his point! it took years for fox to add to his game and often after wasnt always the most loved player! ..Speak to any spurs fan..a lot reackon he was as bad as a winger they got from notts county..Not sure what newccy fans thought ..I wasnt a major fox fan as he drifted in and out of matches,hence why he was sub so often...But loved his cross at leeds once in 93 i think,where goss scored a spectacular goal!.

I just checked canarys past and present..And i made a huge assumption about foggo,based on the earlier comments and such a strange surname..I hope that doe`snt make me racist! ....

We''ve had some very very good wingers over the years and Huckerby has probably been the last of them.

I remember, as a very young man I hasten to add, Brennan and Crossan. Then "Mary" Punton, Ken  Foggo and Jimmy Neighbour came next. Ruel Fox was a brilliant winger too.

Have I left anyone out of this Hall of Fame?

Nothing against McNamee as he seems a good acquisition, but he is not in the same class as any of those above.  

For my money,our best ever winger/striker is hucks and eadie equal...Both very loyal,with eadie finally leaving when we sold him..but putting that to one side both,in my opinion were good enough on their day to play in any side! Hucks,as keegan once said about him,had the ability of any winger,but not always the commitment or attitude to be a top winger..But with us,he more often than not did show his commitment and attitude,though i did hear once from a inside source,that during our promotion campaign,not all was rosey between worthy and hucks because of his attitude in training and voicing his objections to certain training exercises! .with one barny being worthy,excuse non intended pun,of a barry fry dressing room rant! ..This one was at the tail end of the season, and couldve made hucks think of leaving.But they made up and the rest is history with hucks joining eadie as my fav players of all time(so far!)

When i saw a dvd of the milk cup final,that winger we had then looked awsome,with a volley and couple of long efforts that would grace any game..Cant remember his name,but will check later..Not donowan the other winger

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

When i saw a dvd of the milk cup final,that winger we had then looked awsome,with a volley and couple of long efforts that would grace any game..Cant remember his name,but will check later..Not donowan the other winger

[/quote]

I checked for the name of that player..It was barham,and have since found on another video,a superb goal by him against brighton a few years earlier ..Another winger that was superb1 ..We seem to find them and no one has mentionend disco gordan?

It did take a while for Fox to establish himself in the team, but he matured into a great winger under Mike Walker''s management.

He also developed a great understanding with Chris Sutton.

I''d rate him and Hux as our best ever wingers with Kenny Foggo in third.

I cant understand how this foogo was a winger if he scored so many goals..apprantly he was our top goalscorer for 4 seasons! surely he was a striker/winger like beardsly was? ..Did he take pens and freekicks? i suppose that way he could get his tally up.or if he was tall,headers from corners etc

agreed 100 percent .

will be a star .

anyone who says he is a luxury player clearly cant see how much potential this guy has .

hardly a luxury when he has set up up crucial goals for us .

My greatest Norwich wingers: (That I have seen)1. Darren Huckerby - There was more on his shoulders than others compared to the team he played in.2. Ruel Fox 3. Disco Dale Gordon (I''ll go round him once, and then do it again before crossing)4. Darren Eadie5. Neil Adams (his crosses went somewhere near the forwards)6. Mark Rivers. (really)Not convinced there''s any mileage in comparing Fox and McNamee, not comparable divisions I guess.