Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Promotion Celebration

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Is this the real Smudger though?

Or is it the one on the other thread stating " To me Leeds are as insignificant as all the other teams are in this pub league. The best team will win it, the 2nd best team finish 2nd and the rest really, really, really are not very good!"

Which one do I believe[:^)]

[/quote]They are one and the same! [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="WACCOLO"]Leicester didn''t have an open top bus when we won the league[/quote]Well said mate... [Y]I agree with all of that... Leicester had promotion and the title sewn up way before the end of the season and had plenty of time to celebrate.[/quote]Got it now! you don''t want one because Leicester didn''t have one. That explains it![^o)]

Anyway, what about all them Canary Callers? Aint they got a right to see their team?[+o(]

[/quote]Might be a tad difficult to get the open top bus through their front doors as most of ''em never leave their armchairs ........

I don''t really disagree with any of that, Chicken. I just remember when West Brom refused to have a parade on their second promotion to the Premier League, that it sent a clear message that ''This is where we expect to be''. And I think that kind of expectation has been missing at our club. My argument is undermined by the fact that West Brom were immediately relegated again, I realise that. But they look like they''re going up again, partly because they have been determined to see themselves as a club that, if they''re in the championship, are expecting to get promotion. There''s obviously a fine line between that expectation and the sense of a divine right which we rightly ridicule Leeds for. But a club of our size should be walking away with this league. I will be thrilled when we win the title, of course I will, but it has to be the beginning of a period of success. I think that open-top bus rides, from the England rugby team in 2003 and the cricketers in 2005, to the City promotion celebration in 2004, have a habit of marking the end of a period of achievement. People think the job is done.

I think there probably will be a civic reception, and by the sounds of it, most fans want one. That''s fine. We''ve had more than enough misery, it''s definitely time to enjoy ourselves. And I endorse 100% what you said about recognising the astonishing job that Lambert and the players have done. I was just saying that I''d have even more respect for McNally than I already do if he called it off...

An open-top bus ride round Bob Franklin''s house - now that I would be in favour of...

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]There''s basically two schools of thought on this - the one that recognises what an amazing job Lambert has done this season and wants to enjoy itself after so many years of misery. I can certainly understand that. But I think, on balance, I''m in the other camp. Promotion this season will achieve exactly what the 0-6 loss at Fulham achieved - a season in the Championship. Anyone suggesting an open-top bus then would have been laughed at. I think it would be a pretty good sign of the club''s new found professionalism if McNally were to say that this is only the beginning - we''ve secured promotion to the league below the one we should be in. We congratulate Lambert and the players, but we also recognise that winning League One is an embarrassment for this club at the same time that it''s achievement for the team. We''re at home on the last day of the season. Let''s pick up the trophy then, chuck it around on a well-deserved lap of honour, get drunk, then pretend that League One never happened and start working out how we get back to the Premier League.[/quote]

Nice. Well done Lambert for getting us up but because some other twonks got us here in the first place we wont be celebrating your or your players achievement this year.

Do you really think McNally will say that? No bloody way will he, he will want to show the others what success is and the players to get the taste in their mouths for more.

I''m sorry but if I was a player and heard a supporter saying they don''t want to celebrate success then why would I want to care? Listen to Lambert - he loves the support, the crowd, the recognition - denying thim and HIS team a chance to celebrate achievement would be a swift slap in the face would it not?

What has it come to if our own fans want to seek some sort of justice by taking recognition for an outstanding season away from those that deserve it. Perhaps it is WE who do not deserve to celebrate?

Celebrating promotion has nothing to do with the board other than McNally''s ruthlessness in getting Lambert in, after that it is down to Lambert, his timely substitutions and good tactics, and the team that respond incredibly well to his management team and to the passionate fans that support them. The success this season has nothing to do with the failure of Grant, Roeder and to some extent Gunn. It has everything to do with the team we have now and the manager we have now.

How miserable are we?
[/quote]

Robert, the way I see it there are probably 35/40 clubs whose fans "expect to be" either in the Premier League or the top six of the Championship. But they can''t all be there. So what do they base this expectation on? Well, as far as I can see in many cases it''s based on their history, their glorious past in a league that no longer exists.

Is this arrogance? Or is it denial at the changes that have occured in the last 15 or so years? The rules have changed and those clubs whose fans can realistically expect to be in those positions are the ones with most money. What they did in a different league in a different time has no bearing on it. So if we get bought by Sheikh Mohammed who gets the football bug and commits millions to our club we can pretty soon have expectations of playing in the Champions League. And these are far more realistic expectations than those of us who base our expectations on our history in conditions that don''t exist any more.

At the top end of the game it''s all about how much money you have to spend. It''s about how many expensive mistakes you can afford to make. In our case we made too many expensive mistakes with the limited money we had to spend. Which finally saw us relegated to League One. But we now have a good manager who has turned this around. A manager I have every confidence in taking us to at least the top half of the Championship. But to get where "we expect to be" will probably require more money than we are likely to have. Unless of course we get bought by a Sheikh Mohammed or unless football in this country comes to it''s senses.

The difference between this club now with Bowkett and McNally to the last few seasons with Munby and Doncaster seems to be the realisation that you have to aim for the next step all the time. Then if you fall short you are still at a decent level. Over the last few seasons it seems like we aimed to stand still which enabled those other clubs to pass us and eventually saw us relegated.

I''m lost now....

Oh yeah, in my opinion we should celebrate every step along the way while still aiming higher. Not to do so would be at least disrespectful and at most arrogant.

OF course we should celebrate.  12 months ago it looked like our club was going down the toilet with a clueless manager and hapless board.  Everything''s changed, we''ve won the league and if we can''t enjoy this then there''s no point being a bloody football fan.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]OF course we should celebrate.  12 months ago it looked like our club was going down the toilet with a clueless manager and hapless board.  Everything''s changed, we''ve won the league and if we can''t enjoy this then there''s no point being a bloody football fan.

[/quote]

I think most fans will want to celebrate in some way Mr C but do you think an open top bus round the city or a civic reception at the city hall or something more low key at the club maybe?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]OF course we should celebrate.  12 months ago it looked like our club was going down the toilet with a clueless manager and hapless board.  Everything''s changed, we''ve won the league and if we can''t enjoy this then there''s no point being a bloody football fan.[/quote]Absolutely.Here''s the deal.  Everyone who wants to go and see the open-top bus tour like 2004, and just generally having a lot of fun can do so.  Everyone who doesn''t want it, can stay at home, close the curtains and mutter about the good old days.  Deal?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]OF course we should celebrate.  12 months ago it looked like our club was going down the toilet with a clueless manager and hapless board.  Everything''s changed, we''ve won the league and if we can''t enjoy this then there''s no point being a bloody football fan.[/quote]

I think most fans will want to celebrate in some way Mr C but do you think an open top bus round the city or a civic reception at the city hall or something more low key at the club maybe?

[/quote]Well, I think that if you''re going to celebrate then do it properly.  There''s no point saying "well, we won the league, hurrah, but it was a crap league and we shouldn''t have been there in the first place," and having an apology for a celebration.  There were enough "RIP Norwich City" flowers pinned to the fence the day we got relegated, so let''s over-react in a positive way for once.