Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Time to start with McNamee?

[quote user="monkfish"]

I realise Huckerby didn''t play in diamond, but the point is with a left winger and three attackers, we''d be open for the better teams to defend.

Take your point about the higher level.  But we''re not in the championship now.  Deal with today first

[/quote]

So do you feel that Lappin adds anything to the team defensively?  If so then when was the last time you saw him win a full blooded tackle?

I am sorry but I can live with those who come up with the 7 assist''s arguement for keeping him in the team, but not those who are claiming that he offers something to the team defensively that we would not get out of playing McNamee there because to me Lappin offers very little to the team defensively.

Cannot see it happening. As long as we are winning, there is no need to change the starting XI unless of course for injury replacements or tiredness. Lappin is as most people have stated, great at covering and providing a balance between the defence and attack. Plus his set-piece play is very good (although his FK shooting has been way off target).

This isn''t saying McNamee does not possess enough talent to make the starting XI, and if Lapps/Smith were injured I''m sure he would make a great replacement, but once you have a winning team you want to keep it that way.

I think the team need freshening up a bit, i would probably bring Hughes in for Smith for the next game but would leave it at that, i think macnamme has done very well coming of the bench and agree Lappin has had a few average performanes recently but i thibk Mac is a better impact player and Lappin gives good balane to the team especially at home. I dont think you could start with Mac and Wes in the same side.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Smudger"]I agree GJL... McNamee in for Lappikn every time for me... [Y][/quote]

Maybe if Drury was back, but I don''t trust Rose''s defending with zero protection in front of him. Plus you have the problem of what to do with Hoolahan then. Personally, although we''ve not looked fantastic, we''ve still only lost one match in the last 18 or whatever it is, so I would be loathe to change a winning team, even though I think Lappin has been very average this season.
[/quote]

Why not?  Rose has had pretty much zero protection in every match so far since he signed for us.  Lappin sure as hell can''t tackle so I do not really see why he offers any more defensive options than playing McNamee in that position?

[/quote]

Give over Smudger. I''ve been disappointed with Lappin''s set piece deliveries this season, but there''s no denying he gets stuck in, provides a bit of steel and certainly does not shy away from tackles. McNamee on the other hand is clearly not the sort of player who is going to provide reliable cover for the defenders.
[/quote]

Are you serious? His set pieces are a constant menace! He must be up with Hoolahan for the most assists this season. Personally, I think he has been one of our best players over the last 6-8 weeks.

I hope to be proved wrong but I remain unconvinced re McNamee, especially as his ''impact'' remains relatively limited. He will not score goals, and although delivering the odd ''cameo'' e.g Millwall, I remain if the opinion that he is a luxury, he will ''flatter to deceive'' as Swindon Bob said. Having said that Lambert is a better judge than I and McNamee clearly has something. I cannot see him replacing Lappin, now that would be foolhardy.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="monkfish"]

I realise Huckerby didn''t play in diamond, but the point is with a left winger and three attackers, we''d be open for the better teams to defend.

Take your point about the higher level.  But we''re not in the championship now.  Deal with today first

[/quote]

So do you feel that Lappin adds anything to the team defensively?  If so then when was the last time you saw him win a full blooded tackle?

I am sorry but I can live with those who come up with the 7 assist''s arguement for keeping him in the team, but not those who are claiming that he offers something to the team defensively that we would not get out of playing McNamee there because to me Lappin offers very little to the team defensively.

[/quote]Well Smudge me ol'' beautie - jus yew teark a look at yisterday''s goal line clearance agin. If that had a gorn in yew coulda said goodboy to one point nevermoind all three... Certainly I think Lappin is a better defender than Hughes, and obviously McNamee.Think both Smith and Hughes may be better footballers but Lappin not only works hard but has been a very effective member of a complete team. He enjoys his game and I like watching him. Until Lambert decides he''s not worth his place, I''m happy to see him in the starting line up. Oh and while the number of his "assists" may have slowed recently, an assist does depend on someone getting the ball in the net after it''s sent into the box.

I agree, Smudge, that Lappin''s a pretty average player, but I can''t believe that you think that McNamee could replace him as the left point of the diamond.

Being an effective defensive midfielder is not just about tackling - it''s about being disciplined, taking up the right position, closing players down, etc. Lappin has worked really hard in that difficult role this season and has offered the team much more than his limited ability as a footballer would suggest.

MacNamee is an out-and-out winger. I haven''t seen enough of him to know how good he is, but there is no way that he could do the disciplined work that Lappin and Korey Smith (at his best) can do.

The only way I could get him in team would be to go 3-5-2, with Hughes and Russell in the middle behind Hoolahan, or move Wes up front, which would mean dropping Martin.

Would you seriously send us out with a midfield four of McNamee, Hoolahan, Russell, Smith? If not, how would you accommodate McNamee and Wes in the same team?

Lappin does offer things definsively- certainly when it was him and Drury Lappin was always willing to drop back in and cover if Drury went on a run. MacNamee likes to hug the touchline more and is certainly less likely to fill in if Drury does want to bomb forward at any point.

McNamee hugs the touchline because those have obviously been the unstructions given to him by Lambert.  We have usually been chasing the game when McNamee has been brought on in a match and have had little width in the game until his arrival.  We have also often gone from the diamond formation to 3 at the back when McNamee has taken the field.The best form of defence is always attack... especially in this very poor league!I think that the opposition are too busy worrying about what McNamee may do up their end of the pitch to be pushed up and forcing errors on either Rose or Drury.  A better quality of opposition and it may be a different story, but Lappin and our diamond formation would also struggle with the existing personnel against a higher standard of opposition.So YES I am suggesting that McNamee can cut it as the left hand tip of our diamond against the majority of teams he is likely to come up against between now and the end of the season.

[quote user="ricardo"]Leave it to Lambert, he knows far more about the players than we do.[/quote]spot onany idiot suggesting Lappin should be dropped for McNamee has no clue about football and should play a bit of football manager or something! Smudger obviously im talking about you, as you have no clue ill explain what i think, and funnily enough i imagine what Lambert thinks as well.Lappin protects the left hand side and gives Drury/Rose cover and backup. This allows the left back to get forward and support attacks. Subsequently the left hand side has a more solid look to it, without the ball Lappin and Drury/Rose marshall the left, with it they provide good attacking options on the left. For too long Drury has struggled with Hoolahan and Huckerby in front him, now he has Lappin, the left is more solid and is an integral part of the diamond, the tactics and the reason were top of the league.

[quote user="monkfish"]

But it would completely destroy the team structure.  So what''s the plan?  We play 90 minutes with half a diamond with an out and out winger?   Brilliant though Huckerby was, the problem that resulted as a result of his inclusion in the team was that obviously the left back was exposed, but more importantly our midfield was porous and stretched to the limit and the opposition just played through it.   It''s all about balance, and with lappin Norwich have it.     And McNamee looks good - but he''s no huckerby.

Lambert clearly knows what he''s doing and then some.

[/quote]100% correct sir..Are you listening Smudger...

Regarding Saturday i''d put my money on McNamee running rings past our former employee Otsemebor, and think maybe teams are sussing us out so maybe to drop Hoolahan to the bench which Saints wont expect and will pretty much ruin there game plan.