Sign in to follow this  
jon francis

LOOKS LIKE RECALL FOR CLINT ON SUNDAY !!!!

Ive been talking to a mate from the under 19s (Ollie Willis) today and apparently at training there was a 1st team v Reseeves game the 1st team was the team that started tuesday apart from matthias for iwan and clint easton for drury with brennan left back what should we read into this?? Does clint start if drurys not fit then ????

Doesn''t worry me, Clint''s ok on the left. It''s when he was filling in for centre-mid that he started to look completely out of his depth!

I''d be very VERY suprised if Easton suddenly came out of the cold and started on Sunday. We''d be much more likely to put Brennan at left back, switch McVeigh to left mid and bring in a right sided midfielder

I think we simply have to look at the number of natural left sided players at the club and after Brennan and Drury we only have Easton or McKenzie.

However, I would have expected to see McVeigh on the left ahead of Brennan at left back. This then opens up the who the hell do we put on the right debate. I would say give McKenzie a run on the left or right rather than Easton (who I do not rate) as he is naturally left footed and he does like playing against the binners!

or

Why not put Hucks on the right with Svensson and Roberts in the middle, stick McVeigh on the left with Brennan left back and that way the binner will have no bloody clue just where Hucks is playing or who to mark. Goals galore!!! If only we had steeno to stick on the right wing...............

I hear its cause clints got a new haircut and worthys so impressed he wants to show it off.

oh and ollie''s a mate of mine too, he''s a good lad. hope he makes it but i think he might be a bit small..

id like to see clint play some part if drury is injured. i''d rather have clint on the left than move mcveigh over from the right, because its only really henderson that can fill that right position at the moment, and even he is not a natural winger. the only other alternative would be mulryne on the right but hes never done well in wide positions. although i have heard that briggs can play right wing.

i think we could go with 4-3-3:
Huckerby Roberts Svesson/Mckenzie

McVeigh Holt Francis/Mulryne

Brennan Makay Fleming Edworthy

The only recall easton is likely to get is from watford ! as the consumer act states, any retailer supplying defective goods should either repair them or offer a full refund .

I hope this report is wrong, but there again this isn''t the first time that we thought Easton had gone forever, only for Worthy to bring him back in again.

I think Henderson has had a suitable rest and I would bring him back in on the right and switch McVeigh to the left. The ideal scenario of course would be for Drury to recover and the only decisions Worthy would need to make is Roberts or Svensson and whether to play McKenzie the 2 goal hero from the away fixture.

Of course there is always a chance that our loan signing be it a central / right midfielder could be eligible if signed up on Friday. I am sure Worthy is hoping to bring in this player sooner rather than later.

Finally, with so many good performances and options up front it is easy to forget that Jarvis is waiting in the wings. I would like to see Jarvis up front with Huckerby and see how defences try to cope with them.

I say start with McKenzie and Svensson up front, stick Huckerby on the left wing, Mulryne on the right wing, McVeigh just behind the front two, Holt and Francis in midfield and have a defense of three across the middle, Brennan Mackay and Flemming. Then stuff Ip***** 5-0!

Personally, I don''t buy this theory of putting Hucks out wide - left or right. From what I recall of his times at Leeds / Man City it was when restricted to a wide role that he struggled. He is damn good at dropping wide as a frontman, but not as a wide player per se - much like Henry at Arsenal. It is easier to mark a winger out of the game, than a striker who pulls wide.

Also, part of the job of a wide midfielder nowadays is tracking back and covering his full back. Now, I am a loyal worshipper at the church of Hucks and think he is the best thing at this club in years, but he ain''t no defender!

My vote goes for Hucks up front as usual with Svenson.

A midfield of Mcveigh, Holt, Francis and Henderson (Mulryne did ok against the Baggies, but his game is not about width - a hungry Henderson offers width, tracking back, a 90 minute ''engine'' etc etc...)

Brenan at left back, and the other defenders pick themselves!

Such a selection is hard on the likes of Iwan, Mullers and Leon...but hey, welcome to the top of the first division. It''s about picking the best team for the job, and the fact that we even have serious competition for places in the starting eleven is testament to what a good job the board and management have done in the last twelve months. How many times have we sat there one nil down under Rioch / Megson / Hamilton et al and looked to the bench for options only to see Ulf Ottoson or Chris Llwellyan?

Look to a bench featuring Roberts, Mackenzie, Mulryne, Shackell and Crichton, and it don''t look so bad.

And as much as I don''t rate Easton and Rivers (they wouldn''t make my squad unless decimated by injury!) something tells me we haven''t seen the last of them this season. I feel one or both of them will still have a part to play. What odds on Easton popping up with the goal that clinches promotion?

Like I say, just a feeling...

It''s a funny ol'' game

I agree with the point about a right midfielder being needed. Brennan at left back, McVeigh wide left, Svensson in for Roberts - then bring in Briggs as right midfield - after all, that''s where he was playing for Stockport when we signed him!

I agree with Templeton, I think it''d be a good idea to play Briggs, he''s probably our most natural right-sided midfielder behind Rivers... Brennan at left back, McVeigh left midfield, Briggs right midfield and Svensson up front with Huckerby... and Mackenzie ahead of Roberts to come on if Svensson looks to be struggling (which I doubt he will be...) That to be is a balanced side with plenty of attacking AND defending nous...

Can anyone really seeing worthy bringing briggs out of the blue after making only one start this season, and that was on the first day of the season at right back, and remember when edworthy was injured? It says a lot when worthy rates Gary Holt higher than even in your most natural position.

Agree with the last couple of posts, Svensson MUST come in - the side has had many more attacking options when he has come on - and if Drury is unable to play, then Brennan to left back, Mcveigh to left midfield where, strangely, he is most effective, and if we donĀ“t chance it with including McKenzie up front and using Hucks in a freeer right wing position, then give Briggs a go - at least you can guarantee 100%, something one does not get from Rivers, Easton or Mulryne!