Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Whitbread's involvement at ColU speaks volumes...

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="singing canary"]nelson should be the first to go . nelson is too slow and gets turned inside out by any alf decent quick attacker. doc has been in good form of late we need to keep him untill the end of the season at least .(and he can grab the odd goal here and there).[/quote]

I think as Nelson has played more games he has looked better each time.

I wouldn''t write him off just yet.
[/quote]

Another good post.

Like any other player he looks better for a run of games.

Recently he''s defended just as well as what Askou has (if not better) but unfortunately that start to the season is going to be what a lot of people judge him on and hold against him.

[/quote]

One thing that doesn''t seem to be mentioned about Nelson is that he is one of the most onefooted players I have ever seen.  One of the reasons he was so embarassed during the first half hour against Huddersfield for example was that most balls were played on his left foot which is abysmal.   Whereas Askou is very two footed and Doc has a useable left, Nelson is very deficient.

It always strikes me as odd that a professionalfootballer can have a"wrong foot".  You hear it so often in commentaries.  They are full time professionals and in training should be making themselves as good at their job as they can.

I thought he was awful to begin with but that is understandable given his fitness and settling into a new team. I think I would still prefer Askou over him but if he keeps improving, who knows?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Messed that up!!

Meant to say:

One thing that doesn''t seem to be mentioned about Nelson is that he is one of the most onefooted players I have ever seen.  One of the reasons he was so embarassed during the first half hour against Huddersfield for example was that most balls were played on his left foot which is abysmal.   Whereas Askou is very two footed and Doc has a useable left, Nelson is very deficient.

It always strikes me as odd that a professionalfootballer can have a"wrong foot".  You hear it so often in commentaries.  They are full time professionals and in training should be making themselves as good at their job as they can.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="singing canary"]nelson should be the first to go . nelson is too slow and gets turned inside out by any alf decent quick attacker. doc has been in good form of late we need to keep him untill the end of the season at least .(and he can grab the odd goal here and there).[/quote]

I think as Nelson has played more games he has looked better each time.

I wouldn''t write him off just yet.
[/quote]

Another good post.

Recently he''s defended just as well as what Askou has (if not better) but unfortunately that start to the season is going to be what a lot of people judge him on and hold against him.

[/quote]

I thought he was awful to begin with but that is understandable given his fitness and settling into a new team. I think I would still prefer Askou over him but if he keeps improving, who knows?
[/quote]

Nice that you''re prepared to give a player a chance and possibly change your mind.

I like Askou as well but Nelson seems to read the game a bit better and he tends to meet the ball and win it at the first attempt more than Askou does. Although at least with Askou he doesn''t give up if he misses at the first attempt.

I think it''s looking good for us at the moment. None of Doc, Askou and Nelson worry me. And I''m sure Whitbread will be the same.

[/quote]

Anyone who writes a player off without a second chance is an idiot, and likely to be one of those muppets that would boo a player rather than give him benefit of the doubt.

Yes I think that our current defensive crop is starting to look very capable, at this level anyway. I don''t know if Whitbread has pace but I am hoping he has, as we will need some when we come up against pacier strikers next season.

Saying taht Doc never fails to surprise me with the odd burst of pace occasionally!
[/quote]

Exactly. Well said.

Taking Whitbread out of the equation I''d be surprised if any of Askou, Nelson and Spillane could out pace the Doc.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="singing canary"]nelson should be the first to go . nelson is too slow and gets turned inside out by any alf decent quick attacker. doc has been in good form of late we need to keep him untill the end of the season at least .(and he can grab the odd goal here and there).[/quote]I think as Nelson has played more games he has looked better each time.I wouldn''t write him off just yet.[/quote]

Another good post.

[/quote]

It always strikes me as odd that a professionalfootballer can have a"wrong foot".  You hear it so often in commentaries.  They are full time professionals and in training should be making themselves as good at their job as they can.I thought he was awful to begin with but that is understandable given his fitness and settling into a new team. I think I would still prefer Askou over him but if he keeps improving, who knows?[/quote]

[/quote]

Messed that up!!

Meant to say:

[/quote]Many top pro''s are very one footed, I don''t think it is something you can practise at and improve either. I think as long as you know your weaknesses and your strengths then you can put yourself in positions where you are playing to your best attributes. Perhaps in the game you mention above him and Doc should have swapped places, thoug hI assume that Lambert deemed it not enough of a problem to do so.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I think he will start him esp after last time when Nelson and the Doc were run ragged.

Whitbread is class.
[/quote]

Agreed Whitbread is class for sure & will be our first choice centre back very soon although I do think Lambert will start with Nelson & Doc. Nelson for me is an accident waiting to happen I just hope its not tomorrow, so for me and yes I know its a big call if Zak was to start and Lambert makes that decision i have every faith....

[quote user="morty"]Saying taht Doc never fails to surprise me with the odd burst of pace occasionally![/quote]This is true, and there''s a post on this thread earlier stating (as everyone seems to do, without really thinking) that Doc lacks "genuine pace". I would wager that Doc would win a leg race involving all the CBs at this club - it takes him a couple of yards to get going but once he''s running, he''s surprisingly quick.

Who has actually seen Whitbread play, or has genuine proof of his "class"I don''t think I have ever seen him play, and my opinion on him is limited to what I can glean off people on this board.The cynical side of me has seen too many players come here that are supposedly fantastic and then turned out to be decidedly average!

[quote user="morty"]Who has actually seen Whitbread play, or has genuine proof of his "class"

I don''t think I have ever seen him play, and my opinion on him is limited to what I can glean off people on this board.

The cynical side of me has seen too many players come here that are supposedly fantastic and then turned out to be decidedly average!
[/quote]

Wait & see!

One thing I can assure you of is Nelson certainly aint!!!!

[quote user="Gazza"]

[quote user="morty"]Who has actually seen Whitbread play, or has genuine proof of his "class"I don''t think I have ever seen him play, and my opinion on him is limited to what I can glean off people on this board.The cynical side of me has seen too many players come here that are supposedly fantastic and then turned out to be decidedly average![/quote]

Wait & see!

[/quote]Great answer, thanks.[Y]

[quote user="Gazza"]

[quote user="morty"]Who has actually seen Whitbread play, or has genuine proof of his "class"I don''t think I have ever seen him play, and my opinion on him is limited to what I can glean off people on this board.The cynical side of me has seen too many players come here that are supposedly fantastic and then turned out to be decidedly average![/quote]

Wait & see!

[/quote]I have.Solid defender, not slow but not quick but gets his head in and quite intelligent.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Gazza"]

Wait & see!

[/quote]I have.Solid defender, not slow but not quick but gets his head in and quite intelligent.[/quote]Good good!![Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Gazza"]

Wait & see!

[/quote]I have.Solid defender, not slow but not quick but gets his head in and quite intelligent.[/quote]Good good!![Y][/quote]My brother is a millwall fan and always "used" to say how great he was. NOw of course he is plainly known as Sh!tbread!A good player that will EASILY cut it at Champ level.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Gazza"]

[quote user="morty"]Who has actually seen Whitbread play, or has genuine proof of his "class"

I don''t think I have ever seen him play, and my opinion on him is limited to what I can glean off people on this board.

The cynical side of me has seen too many players come here that are supposedly fantastic and then turned out to be decidedly average!
[/quote]

Wait & see!

[/quote]

I have.

Solid defender, not slow but not quick but gets his head in and quite intelligent.
[/quote]

Good good!!

[Y]
[/quote]

Scout Report: Zak Whitbread

Zak Whitbread started his career as a youngster at Liverpool and was highly regarded at the club, making appearances in Carling Cup games along with other Liverpool youngsters tipped to break into the first team.

The American centre half found it difficult to break into the first team at Anfield however, and a loan move to Millwall followed (whom ironically he''d made his Liverpool debut against).

A successful loan spell at the then Championship club became a permanent one in June 2006, but injury kept him out for an entire season.

Whitbread made his return to the Millwall first team in November 2007 and has been a regular ever since, notching up over 100 appearances for the London club.

After missing out on promotion back to The Championship last season following defeat to Scunthorpe in the playoff final, Whitbread rejected the offer of a new contract and was placed on the transfer list as a result.

It is believed that the League One side would be prepared to do business at around £1 million - the fee the Seasiders received for Shaun Barker.

The 25 year old fits into Ian Holloway''s plans of bringing in younger players from the lower leagues that have potential - Whitbread was scouted by Everton last season.

As comfortable on the ball as he is strong in the tackle, Whitbread has Championship experience and would slot nicely into the Seasiders back line, as well as offering them the opportunity for profit in the future should he continue his development and make the step up back to the Premiership.

Blackpool scout report, also linked with Blackburn while Ince was in charge and if Moyes at Everton sent scouts to watch him am sure he will be a great signing for us as obviously does Lambert......

I can''t see what all the excitement is about. With Semmy gone, Whitbread and Wiggins are the only defensive cover available. It''s logical that Lambert would want one of them on the bench and Drury already has cover in the form of Lappin.

This isn''t any slight on Nelson - just practical contingency planning, IMO.

For tomorrows game, I''d have no qualms about doc and nelson playing. It was them at the heart during that dreaded day, so maybe this is the perfect opportunity for them (and the rest of the shambles that day) to redeem themselves.

I saw Whitbread on TV last season when Millwall played Peterborough and I thought he was very good. He stood out as the best defender by far, not only with his bright blonde hair but with his blocking of shots and tackling etc. Looked very assured and I think Millwall won the game 2-0 of 2-1, only one of a few games lost by Peterborough last season, so good signs. (Y)

To be honest, I would rather have him than Nelson, I think that a 75% fit Zak would be better than a 100% fit Nelson, he does give it his all, but I am never confident in his ability, both on the ground and although he is a big lad and spent his footballing life in the lower leagues, I don''t think his heading is all that.

It speaks volumes because now we''ve got rid of Otsemobor we will need some defensive on the bench and Whitbread must be coming up to full fitness now!

For all the rubbish that gets said about the Doc on here, the truth is hes far classier, much quicker than all the knockers give him credit for, is definately our best CB and has been one of our best performers this season!

Nelson has defended well in recent games and while he''ll always be limited with the ball at his feet, the more games hes played the better hes become and Askou has a job on to get back in the team!

Too many people get sucked into all this negative rubbish about our CB''s but the truth is yuou''d struggle to find better in this Division and I''ve seen most teams this season!

Ridiculous thread.  So putting your one remaining fit CB on the bench speaks volumes does it?  Er, why?  So every team that has a CB on the bench means that the manager doesn''t rate the ones already playing? Yeah, righty mate.  Sound reasoning on your part.

As for our crap CB''s at the moment, they have conceeded one goal in the last 4 league games, and that was down to a goalkeeping spillage. Bloody awful aren''t they.

Nelson made much better decisions on the ball then Donkey today IMHO. Good to see Whitbread on for a sniff, he didn''t see much action but I''m sure he will end up as a starter.