Sign in to follow this  
Jak G

Grant Holt - Quality Striker?

Was considering early today about how Grant Holt must be regarded as one of the best strikers in this league. This got me thinking of when was the last time we had a really good striker for the league we were in that we acually owned. It can''t surely be Deano that was what 4 seasons ago now. What seems to be our knack or making poor/ buying poor strikers and do people think Holt is a change from that?

Earnshaw scored his brains out for us but even thats 3 seasons ago.

But there''s not another striker in this league i''d rather have than Grant Holt, Beckford included, he''s scored 9 league goals and his all round play is quality too, you can''t really ask for much more from your main striker.

Ah ofcourse I forgot about Earnshaw a class act was a shame about the release clause I guess both him and us regret him leaving in the long term.

He wasn''t exactly brilliant for us though was he lol??? Although I think he got about 15 goals in total his first season back here.

He got 14 (12 league goals), in 45 games in all competitions.Dublin scored 9 in 41 (but remember also he spent a large part early on playing as a defender).Evans scored 10 in 28.So let''s get the facts straight eh?

At this level Holty is definitely a quality striker.  I think he''s proved that already and, barring injury, I believe he has the potential to score 30+ this season. (I hope Lambo lets him loose on Paulton to add a few more).  As for Earnie, let''s not forget he was injured for a long period when he was with us, so he would probably have scored even more, so yes, quality striker.  Dean Ashton was scoring in the prem as well against the likes of Man U, so he fits the bill too.  Other than that I think we have to go back to Iwan.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We had the holder of the Championship golden boot 2 years ago
[/quote]

Who was that then?

[quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We had the holder of the Championship golden boot 2 years ago
[/quote]

Who was that then?

[/quote]

you being serious? (it was Cureton, for Colchester....)

Earnshaw had a very good goals per game ratio, probably one of the best ever. However his overall play and understanding of his team mates was pretty useless. I''m sure i saw many games where he would stand on the half way line waiting for the ''perfect'' through ball from the ginger pele....

I seem to remember 9 times out of 10 the through ball either going straight through to thier keeper or Earnie being flagged offside. He would then always turn back and make the same hand gesture in an attempt to request that ever elusive through ball. Rarely happened.

Dion had class pouring out of his armpits let alone his boots, however he was obvioulsy in his twilight years and as a result didnt exactly strike fear in the oppositions minds.

Ashton was the last true quality we had and i''m pretty sure that we would be involved in the England set up if he could ever get fit. In fact i truely hope he does.

DEANO FOR ENGLAND!!

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Larry David"]

[/quote]

Who was that then?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well he said "we had".. a) he didn''t play for us so it''s a pointless argument and b) we still have him.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We had the holder of the Championship golden boot 2 years ago[/quote]

Who was that then?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well he said "we had".. a) he didn''t play for us so it''s a pointless argument and b) we still have him.

[/quote]okwe have sleepy on loan from snow white at the club still.

Iwan, Ashton, Earnshaw, Sutton, Holt, Dion..we have had our share of quality strikers in the last 15 years but not always made the best use of them.

[quote user="pennywise "]it  defies beleif that grant holt ever ended up in league 2.. the man is class[/quote]

Yep, he''s up to Coca Cola Championship standard at least, if not Premier League, in my opinion (whisper it quietly!). I always rated Iwan as an old fashioned type of centre forward, but I wonder if Grant Holt is better still.

[quote user="pennywise "]it  defies beleif that grant holt ever ended up in league 2.. the man is class[/quote]He has Colin Calderwood to thank for that, after playing him on the wing so often so they could fit in Tyson and some other lad up front.

Well Doc when we were in the Prem was quality! ;)

Dont see why him and Holt wouldnt make a great partnership?