Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

Swine Flu - Affecting Footballers

Yes - its a big issue for everyone in the whole country.

Why not play games behind closed doors. Even if you took the ground with lowest attndance. Say 20,000 supporters sitting next to each other spreading germs!

What if a fan throws the ball back and contaminates the ball?

God''s sake its so over the top!! All over paid muppets anyway

This Weekend all games will be cancelled - because someone has the sniffles!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Have you actually had swine flu?[/quote]If he had then he would realize the stupidity of his post.  Not the worst illness but wouldn''t wish it on anyone and people should be protected from it.

No i have not had it, but I''m sure its awful!

However nasty it is - that is not my point! Why are footballers being protected, and some H&S bloke saying don''t spit?

They are just as likely to catch it handing over the money after filling up their Porshe 911 as playing a game of footy!

I also like Rugby... I wonder if the RFU come out this week and say we are changing the rules this week - no scrums, just in case one of the pack have swine flu? Don''t think this is going to happen?!

[quote user="They Call Me Gary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Have you actually had swine flu?[/quote]

If he had then he would realize the stupidity of his post.  Not the worst illness but wouldn''t wish it on anyone and people should be protected from it.
[/quote]

See below post - at least let me respond, for a sensible debate!!

To be fair the guy has a point.

I went to music festivals over the summer and no one said you had to take precautions. Thousands of people go shopping/clubbing etc every day in major cities and they shouldnt stop doing this because they may get swine flu.

I''m sorry but to tell a pro footballer not to spit is like telling them not to swear, its always going to be part of the game.

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

However nasty it is - that is not my point! Why are footballers being protected, and some H&S bloke saying don''t spit?

They are just as likely to catch it handing over the money after filling up their Porshe 911 as playing a game of footy!

I also like Rugby... I wonder if the RFU come out this week and say we are changing the rules this week - no scrums, just in case one of the pack have swine flu? Don''t think this is going to happen?!

[/quote]

Oh dear, if you don''t know why they are being told not to spit, then there isn''t much hope hahahaha.

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

[/quote]Completely agree, yet more evidence of the nanny state.  I know a few people who have had it, and it might not be nice for a few days or so, but if we got all nervous about every bug out there we''d never leave the bloody house!!!!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]It is a stupid post - but you can''t protect people from swine flu.  Swine flu is incidentally less lethal than seasonal flu.
[/quote]

I don''t think that pregnant women or children under 15 would agree with that statement.  

Like many illnesses, Swine Flu has the potential to kill those who''s immunity is lower because of a variety of reasons. Any person who is fit and well, eats sensibly etc is unlikely to suffer serious symptons. However, as with regular flu, there are those for whom it can be lethal. Everyone is responsible to do what they can to prevent its spreading.

Yet i still see them spitting indoors before the game has started.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]Like many illnesses, Swine Flu has the potential to kill those who''s immunity is lower because of a variety of reasons. Any person who is fit and well, eats sensibly etc is unlikely to suffer serious symptons. However, as with regular flu, there are those for whom it can be lethal. Everyone is responsible to do what they can to prevent its spreading.[/quote]

I agree, and as someone who has hardly any immune system I can vouch for how easily it is to catch these bugs and viruses.  It might not be important to those who have good immune systems, but to people like myself, those going through any sort of treatment which can lower immunity, pregant women and children it could be a matter of life and death.

So IMHO it''s important until this nasty swine flu has been virtually irradicated that people take all the precautions possible, and that includes players spitting, who may not be ill themselves but be carriers of viruses and bugs.

Simple info, and easy to follow advice I was given.

Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and who have fever and cough. General infection control practices and good hygiene can help to reduce transmission of all viruses, including the human swine influenza.

This includes covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a tissue when possible and disposing of it promptly.

It is also important to wash your hands frequently with soap and water to reduce the spread of the virus from your hands to face or to other people.