Sign in to follow this  
matt crowhurst

doc v nelson

[quote user="Houston Canary"] You know who else used to play higher level and international soccer?  Diego Maradona.  However, I don''t think he is better than any of our present strikers.   [/quote]

I wouldn''t bet against it, to be honest.

You''re talking about the greatest player the game has ever seen (whatever his age and fitness) against Jamie Cureton.

MY view is not doc v Nelson.

But can anyone at the game today honestly remember a worse defensive performance of any city player over the last 30 years?

I have watched Derveld, Segura, Sutch, Doc, Hughes, Colin and even Otsemebor.   But Nelson performance today was up there with those of theo and simon tracey in terms of complete footballing ineptitude.

Two prime examples were when byfield put teh ball over his head and he watched statuesque and did not move until Byfield had collected the ball behind the still motionless Nelson,  and the other was the attempted pass in the second half alluded to by Nutty when he put the ball into row AH of the Jarrold while attempting a pass,  not a clearance, a pass,  no more than 20 yards in from the jarrold side touchline.    Shockingly embarrassing for a pub player, let alone a professional

Have they both shot for crimes against football?????????If i am forced to choose bring the Doc back, in reality neither and for me Spillane in the interim before a suitable replacement is brought in. Alongside Askou who looks reasonable.

Although the Doc bashers won''t ever see it, he is an acomplished player.  Very strong in the air, ends up covering for Semmy most of the game and reads the game well.  Nelson from what I have seen is unfortunately just poor.  He does not read the game at all.  Nelson is most definately the answer.  If so called fans got off the Doc''s back, which does affect his confidence, he will be a key player at this level - if picked again.

everyone is so quick to judge Nelson and say he''s hopeless! Yet the same people think Doherty is Tony Adams is disguise! It totally baffles me!

Three clean sheets don''t lie. Why would you go and change your back four after that?!

Nelson''s salary is less than Doherty''s......Bye bye Doc.

If you only thought Nelson was rubbish yesterday - let''s make him the latest scapegoat.

Good point Mello. I''ve heard rumours that all Askou does is hoof the ball miles down the pitch too, but this constant giving away of possession is not being mentioned.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

If you only thought Nelson was rubbish yesterday - let''s make him the latest scapegoat.

[/quote]

I think that the difference is that people moan about the Doc when we get beaten and blame him.  You can''t argue that at the moment form has turned round with him in the team so we don''t need a "scapegoat".  In this case I think people are genuinely commenting on the quality of the player.  In every game I''ve seen him he looks out of his depth, both in terms of positional sense and with the ball at his feet.  Forget the comparisons with Doc;  this is one gruesome footballer!

[quote user="Dronny Canary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

I think that the difference is that people moan about the Doc when we get beaten and blame him.  You can''t argue that at the moment form has turned round with him in the team so we don''t need a "scapegoat".  In this case I think people are genuinely commenting on the quality of the player.  In every game I''ve seen him he looks out of his depth, both in terms of positional sense and with the ball at his feet.  Forget the comparisons with Doc;  this is one gruesome footballer!

[/quote]

Well let''s play Nelson as Centre Forward then.....His goal against Pools was top drawer....

The whole back 5 (including the keeper) played hoofball yesterday and i wouldnt say one of them came out of the game with any credit in my eyes! Askou does look a very good player but he seems to relish in playing hoofball alongside Nelson! It has to be Spillaine at CB for me!

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]

100% agree with this. Nelson is by far the better player and frankly I think Norwich fans need to stop finding fault for the sake of it.
[/quote]

Gary Doherty... Tottenham, Norwich, international and Premier League football

Michael Nelson... Bury, Hartlepool...lower league football

Speaks for itself to be honest...I wonder why Gary Doherty has had a better career and played at a higher level...

I wonder if there is any chance that he''s actually a fair bit better than a lot of the clueless Norwich fans give him credit for.

[/quote]

How many games has doherty played for spurs and Ireland?

For us he has been relegated 2 times and never played in a solid partnership at the back in the championship and now in league one.

Nelson isn''t great but he was club captain at both Bury  and Hartlepool and played every game he was fit for them and he is deffinatly a threat from set pieces and not to bad at defending set pieces aswell. We need to give him n Askou time to get used to playing in a new defence.

I know they are no where near their standard but vidic n evra looked terrible when 1st signed by manchester united and got substituted..

who cares if its doc or neslon, the simple thing is that people cant make a partnership with doc for some reason and they can with neslon,

doc and nelson = bleeding goals

doc and askou = bleeding goals

askou and neslon = 3 clean sheets

its not the individual that stops the bleed its the defensive partneship that stops the bleed and this seems to be nelson and askou,

take it from last season was it any surprise we performed better and kept out fewer goals when doc wasnt in defense

After seeing Nelson 3 times now there is no choice. Doc is like Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore rolled into one compared to this guy! Nelson was truely appalling yesterday. 3 clean sheets it maybe but if anyone thinks its down to this guy they need to think again.

no one is saying its down to nelson that weve kept clean sheets, what people are trying to point out that defensively the partnership in defence is better with doc out of the picture hence the three clean sheets, and as for the ball being hoofed into the stand, id rather it hoofed there then being in the back of our net

[quote user="gsr600"]doc and nelson = bleeding goals

doc and askou = bleeding goals

its not the individual that stops the bleed its the defensive partneship that stops the bleed[/quote]

The little bleeders!!! [:S]

[quote user="gsr600"]no one is saying its down to nelson that weve kept clean sheets, what people are trying to point out that defensively the partnership in defence is better with doc out of the picture hence the three clean sheets, and as for the ball being hoofed into the stand, id rather it hoofed there then being in the back of our net[/quote]

So Nelson at CB makes for a better partnership?  What happened against Colchester then?  I suppose that was ALL Doc''s fault?  The truth is that Doc played the first game with a shocking all-round team that didn''t know how to defend.  He then played against a premiership team within a makeshift team that also found defending difficult.  Had Nelson played in the Sunderland game instead of Doc would we have conceded fewer goals?  I know Doc didn''t play well that game but do you honestly think that Nelson would have handled the free-flowing Sunderland strike force any better?  It''s not the partnership at the centre of defence that''s been the key to the clean sheets- it''s the change in the shape of the team and the work done on responsibilities while defending.  Let''s see how things have gone after the MK and Charlton games.  If Nelson has a blinder and we''ve extended our run of clean sheets then I''ll admit I''m wrong about him.  I have to say I''m worried about how things might go if either of those teams attack with pace and movement.