Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Gary Holt (v Tottenham)

Was useless today, does anyone agree? Mis-placed passing (although a few others were guilty early on) and hit and hope balls up the field. It''s probably me but i always get the feeling that the formation is modified to accomidate Holt, who will never get dropped or never get subbed! I thought Safri had a good game and was unlucky to be substituted (although yes he had a yellow card to his name) But Holt just looks totally out of his depth, and we can''t afford time to ''let him settle down'' or ''get used to it''. Now before anyone gets me wrong! I know it sounds as if i''m moning, but really well done to City overall today, great performance and a good point! Greeno, Englands number 1!

He hasn''t really excelled in the Scots blue jersey recently either.I think in the first two games the whole team were rushing their passes and giving it away too easy, the others have since learned, maybe Holt will follow. Nice to see Safri holding the ball and looking before passing

safri looks class, he went in for tackles well and his passing ability was great.  He looks the part and we should start him for every match, i suppose he was subbed for fitness reasons, at least i hope so.  Holt, i still remain unconvinced about him.  He has the heart, but sadly he is not up to the prem.  Francis and Safri yes,  but the three together no, we are too unbalanced. 

I thought the whole midfield looked a bit out of sync, and yeah holt was maybe the weakest. I''d like to see someone in midfield who can use that ball wisely.  the formation of the three worked, but maybe we should be bringing someone like petit, who can distribute as well as win it. safri,francis and petit would make a balanced midfield.

I was sitting (on my hands) near the bench with a Spurs supporting mate and spotted an ice pack being given to Safri when he came off, so maybe that clears that up.

Now as for Gary Holt I think he had a good game yesterday. He''s not in the team to do all the champagne football, if he was he would have got his Hoxton finn bleeched mohawk mullet cut by now. Holt is there to harry, press, win the ball and allow others to go forward. It seeems to me that a few people have singled him out as the guy to have a pop at week in week out, the celt bashers have already see Malky go without kicking a premiership ball. Turning to the mention of Gary''s performances for Scotland, Vogts (excuse my bad language) has played him out of position in one game and then stuck him on the bench from where he made a fleeting appearance, not really worthy of comment then.

Yesterday was an excellent performance, particularly after we stopped giving them so much respect. Time to start turning draws into wins.

I''m not one of these fair weather fans, who get on the backs of players if they playing badley, If they''re in yellow n'' green i''ll support them. But i''m no holt fan i''ve been watching him for a long time now since the start of last season in fact and this is his game;

he run up the pitch and marks an open space,

then he runs down the pitch an does the same

he dives in to tackles and misses most times

when he does win the ball he gives it away again

he can''t pass

he can''t shoot

I''m really going into one here aren''t I?

But i would just like to say that apart from his usual passing yesterday i thought he did quite well in the 2nd half as he made a lot of blocks (throwing himself in front of the ball) Which maybe is why he''s in the team. What i''m saying is he''ll never be the most gifted player to have pulled on a city shirt far from it in fact, (if i was manager i would be tempted to drop him) but i wonder what would we be like without him;

more fluent passing football but would we be a soft touch and completely open i don''t know.

But what ever happens this season i''m right behind worthy and the boys whoever they are

Come on you yellows!!!

I''m constantly amazed at the way Holt gets singled out for criticism this season.  It''s pretty obvious he hasn''t had the best of starts but to criticise Holt and applaud Safri seems cockeyed to me...

Safri was awful in the 1st half yesterday... caught out of position a number of times (leaving the defence exposed), gave the ball away cheaply and terrible passing.

Agree he was much better in the 2nd half but can''t believe Safri earns the plaudits whilst Gary gets slaughtered (again)...

I''m with Leeds Canary on this, watching at home Safri had me beating my sofa with frustration and despair for most of the first half with his chronic positioning and awful passing and Damien took a good 25 minutes before he got started, his attempt to stop Defoe before he hit the post was woeful. Holt, as Robert Green said, covered the middle and both flanks on occasion and got forward too, later in the game. I felt that he rarely let us down and truly grafted for the full game. You know what he can and cannot do, if he was a Ronseal product it would say ''wins the ball and gives it to someone more creative'' Unfortunately they don''t always have a City shirt on but I believe he deserves his place following yesterday. 

I thought Holty did ok today working within that diamond formation, although I thought we took some time as a team to get used to it and didn''t ever fully get to grips with it.  Anyway, Holty has definitely improved on his first few performances, I feel, and may yet improve further still.  At least he didn''t back off from the opposition as much as he had done previously and he closed down space much better. Safri gave the ball away too easily to begin with but, by the second half, looked much more composed and his distribution was also much better.  I think he may turn out to be a really good buy for us.  Hope so!!!!

I''m glad to see I''m not alone in thinking that Safri wasn''t brilliant yesterday. Ok, he made a decent block on the line from Defoe - but he was only making amends for the wild slice up into the air inside our own six yard box just before that! Some of his passes were wayward and at times unnecessary when there were easier passes available.Having said all that, he did improve in the second half and I''m guessing he came off either with a knock, or because he may not be fully match fit following his operation in the summer. I for one will reserve judgement on whether or not he''s a good player until he''s played a few more games.I think the system used yesterday could well work for us, I think we just need to give the players time to get up to speed.

I thought Holt played really well today, definitly the best player of the midfield. Safri pinged the ball around well but gave it away abit to much and looked a bit dodgy (it was him who launched it a mile in the air b4 he cleared it off the line), Francis didn''t run the show like he has done in previous games. Holty was here there and everywhere and played out of his skin. The amount of clearances and interceptions he made was incredible

aren''t we a fickle bunch? Gary Holt has run his socks off for NCFC over the past few seasons. we expect loyalty from our players. is it unreasonable for us to reciprocate ?

Have to agree, bit harsh to criticise holt this early in the season, when for the past 3 years has been one of our most consistent and reliable players. Safri looked good against gunners, but yesterday tried to do abit to much and got caught a few times. We''ll be alrite this season tho..   

I''m also with Leeds Yellow on this one. I thought Safri was dreadful first half yesterday and although he improved a little after that there''s absolutely no way I''d start him ahead of Holt.

Anyway unless Safri learns to tackle this debate will become a little academic because playing as he has so far he''s guaranteed at least a yellow a game.