Sign in to follow this  
Barclay_Boy

McNally - Larry Lightweight Shock!

Just been listening to our CEO on R Nofolk and not very impressive at all! Very nervous, shaky tone to his voice, and the only good things he said was confirming Jimmy Floyd hasn''t got the job and results haven''t been good enough since Gunn took over. As for public speaking, it''s back to media training school for you David!  Kept repeating the phrase about taking this great club forward but guess what, there is no replacement for Gunn lined up!?*

Haven''t people complained about spin coming from the club all the time? Who gives a shiit what he sounds like, it what he does in the boardroom that counts, don''t you think? If we wanted someone who could speak properly, we would have got Trevor Mcdonald.

I don''t remember him sounding so nervous when he was appointed.Maybe he was nervous trying to make sure he kept the new manager a secret?

He certainly sounded rather distracted, but I agree that his actions are of more relevance than his public speaking. Although he was effectively tarred and feathered by the knee jerk contingent on here this afternoon I will reserve judgement until I see the appointment.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Haven''t people complained about spin coming from the club all the time? Who gives a shiit what he sounds like, it what he does in the boardroom that counts, don''t you think? If we wanted someone who could speak properly, we would have got Trevor Mcdonald.[/quote]

ok, but the vibe being put out about him was he was this tough guy who was going to come in and not take any crap from anyone. And he doesn''t sound the type. He was quick to distance himself as being the architect of Gunn''s sacking, falling over himself to say that it was a unanimous decision, he was not the owner of the club etc, etc. I do a fair bit of training new Managers to give presentations etc, and he sounded just like someone giving their first presentation, ie very nervous. If there is a replacement for Gunn in the bag, and he was just putting up a smokescreen fair enough, otherwise it''s just weird, unless plan b was to see if Butterworth could set the world alight in the next couple of games and then use that as an excuse to give him the job. Very impressed that he knew over 4% of the season had already gone though....

Him being media savvy and sounding good on the radio counts not one jot.Doncaster was rent-a-soundbite and got a lot of stick for it.As for no-one being lined up, yes, am sure no one person is lined up, but there may be three or four, indeed, the minute Gunn went, I bet there were quite a few calls going into McNally from agents.Reassuring about JFH although, come on, was it even going to be the remotest possibility-of course not. Over the next few days, a lot more people will have got the job who infact haven''t even applied.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Haven''t people complained about spin coming from the club all the time? Who gives a shiit what he sounds like, it what he does in the boardroom that counts, don''t you think? If we wanted someone who could speak properly, we would have got Trevor Mcdonald.[/quote]

ok, but the vibe being put out about him was he was this tough guy who was going to come in and not take any crap from anyone. And he doesn''t sound the type. He was quick to distance himself as being the architect of Gunn''s sacking, falling over himself to say that it was a unanimous decision, he was not the owner of the club etc, etc. I do a fair bit of training new Managers to give presentations etc, and he sounded just like someone giving their first presentation, ie very nervous. If there is a replacement for Gunn in the bag, and he was just putting up a smokescreen fair enough, otherwise it''s just weird, unless plan b was to see if Butterworth could set the world alight in the next couple of games and then use that as an excuse to give him the job. Very impressed that he knew over 4% of the season had already gone though....

[/quote]

If he was on the telly you would be criticizing his dress sense...

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[/quote]

So you think he is like this in the boardroom and in his office? I don''t.

Just don''t read too much into it, I''m not.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]I agree actually - but that''s not his job. Let''s hope he''s better at his job than he is interviews.[/quote]

I think you''ll find it is his job....

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[/quote]

If he was on the telly you would be criticizing his dress sense...

[/quote]Does he wear a dress??[:O]

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]Just been listening to our CEO on R Nofolk and not very impressive at all! Very nervous, shaky tone to his voice, and the only good things he said was confirming Jimmy Floyd hasn''t got the job and results haven''t been good enough since Gunn took over. As for public speaking, it''s back to media training school for you David!  Kept repeating the phrase about taking this great club forward but guess what, there is no replacement for Gunn lined up!?*[/quote]

So what you really want is another smooth tongued individual shooting bullshit?? [:O]

You weren''t listening properly if you didn''t hear him say "Promotion is our only objective" and that the decision to sack Gunn was made because they didn''t think he was the right man to meet that objective. 

When was the last time this club had an objective of any kind??  I was more impressed than I expected to be tbh.

He also clarified that all six members of the board agreed unanimously about the sacking.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[/quote]

So you think he is like this in the boardroom and in his office? I don''t.

Just don''t read too much into it, I''m not.

[/quote]

Maybe Davey needs a big consoling hug from ''Deals no Deals''......"There, there, there young Davey....don''t be fearful of those flashing cameras and intrusive microphones"...."Just go walkabout and hide till the steam stops rising from the sh*t....It works for me."

I''ll think you find that it is a very very small part of his job, if he wanted to be a public speaker he would be working as a public relations spokesperson. Which he isn''t. I will just him by our performance on the pitch and the effect of his operations on the balance sheet.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]
Him being media savvy and sounding good on the radio counts not one jot.

Doncaster was rent-a-soundbite and got a lot of stick for it.

As for no-one being lined up, yes, am sure no one person is lined up, but there may be three or four, indeed, the minute Gunn went, I bet there were quite a few calls going into McNally from agents.

Reassuring about JFH although, come on, was it even going to be the remotest possibility-of course not. Over the next few days, a lot more people will have got the job who infact haven''t even applied.
[/quote]

Sorry, I don''t buy that. Somebody of his experience and seniority should have the ability to talk to the press. This is a man who is earning serious money as a CEO for a football club and I simply don''t accept that this man should sound like he had never been near a microphone before. I used to give our club the benefit of the doubt but I''m afraid that after the last 5 years I just think they are incompetent and completely out of their depth with this kind of a business. Gunn was a panic appointment initially, a scandalous error of judgement in the summer and a monumental cock up at the end, sacking a man after he delivered a 4-0 away win and a day before a game. "there is never a good time to sack a manager" he said, Total crap. The ideal time was in May after the Charlton match. The next ideal time was at 5pm last Saturday. Friday pm is clearly not an ideal time. So we end up hanging on for  a draw in a game we could easily have won.

I conclude quite simply that they just don''t know what they are doing.

Like most supporters I don''t care who they appoint as long as the man is a manager, rather than a likeable chap who is cheap.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]Just been listening to our CEO on R Nofolk and not very impressive at all! Very nervous, shaky tone to his voice, and the only good things he said was confirming Jimmy Floyd hasn''t got the job and results haven''t been good enough since Gunn took over. As for public speaking, it''s back to media training school for you David!  Kept repeating the phrase about taking this great club forward but guess what, there is no replacement for Gunn lined up!?*[/quote]

So what you really want is another smooth tongued individual shooting bullshit?? [:O]

You weren''t listening properly if you didn''t hear him say "Promotion is our only objective" and that the decision to sack Gunn was made because they didn''t think he was the right man to meet that objective. 

When was the last time this club had an objective of any kind??  I was more impressed than I expected to be tbh.

He also clarified that all six members of the board agreed unanimously about the sacking.

[/quote]

I bet 4 members of  the board were unanimous....and 2 had to be ''coaxed''....

[quote user="sgncfc"]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]
Him being media savvy and sounding good on the radio counts not one jot.

Doncaster was rent-a-soundbite and got a lot of stick for it.

As for no-one being lined up, yes, am sure no one person is lined up, but there may be three or four, indeed, the minute Gunn went, I bet there were quite a few calls going into McNally from agents.

Reassuring about JFH although, come on, was it even going to be the remotest possibility-of course not. Over the next few days, a lot more people will have got the job who infact haven''t even applied.
[/quote]

Sorry, I don''t buy that. Somebody of his experience and seniority should have the ability to talk to the press. This is a man who is earning serious money as a CEO for a football club and I simply don''t accept that this man should sound like he had never been near a microphone before. I used to give our club the benefit of the doubt but I''m afraid that after the last 5 years I just think they are incompetent and completely out of their depth with this kind of a business. Gunn was a panic appointment initially, a scandalous error of judgement in the summer and a monumental cock up at the end, sacking a man after he delivered a 4-0 away win and a day before a game. "there is never a good time to sack a manager" he said, Total crap. The ideal time was in May after the Charlton match. The next ideal time was at 5pm last Saturday. Friday pm is clearly not an ideal time. So we end up hanging on for  a draw in a game we could easily have won.

I conclude quite simply that they just don''t know what they are doing.

Like most supporters I don''t care who they appoint as long as the man is a manager, rather than a likeable chap who is cheap.

[/quote]

thanks sgncfc, agree with your comments as well. Maybe I''m paranoid, but with all that''s going on at the moment I want some reassurance, to feel that at least someone is confident regarding how to take "this great club forward" as he stated. And that interview did not give me any confidence at all. Sounded like someone who wasn''t sure what the hell is going on, and wasn''t comfortable being questioned about it. Hope to God he is the man he''s made out to be, cos we''re kind of counting on at least someone standing up to the "angel investors"

He sounds to me that he''s trying to combat a stammer.  Which of course has nothing to do  with whether he''s good at his job or not.  Just a reason why he doesn''t sound as ''slick'' as the Doomeister.