Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Feeling Sad For Nigel Boy

Only just read this thread - wow! back to the good old days with some old favourites banging the drum for prudence/extravagance interspersed with a bit of a Yankee special.

a1 canary- I had exactly the same thoughts as you on Bury Yellow. I remember Unimiller putting that "I have been for 35 years but I''ll never go again if Huckerby isn''t signed" nonsense.

Zipper- I think you make the best points on the thread, great stuff.

Some facts:

1. We are never going to have the funds that many in this division have so lets stop pretending we can compete financially or take Dennis Bergkamp on loan.

2. We have only lost three games.

3. We have gained points at Spurs and Newcastle (which I didn''t expect) to counter some of those "dropped" against Palace and Pompey.

4. We never expected to be anything other than either bottom or close to it when we saw the start we were handed.

5. We do actually have a target man- he is Swedish and played the last part of last season rather well. But he had a poorish start as he adapted to Prem defences, the fans got on his back, and he is probably a broken man.

6. Despite what some have said this club is being run the best it has been for years with a majority shareholder who has genuine passion

7. Despite what others may believe we do have one or two reasonable players: McVeigh, Mulryne, Green, Huckerby, Francis (even if his shooting boots get dislodged sometimes), Fleming and Charlton, Jonsson (yes, anybody who watched Sweden in the Euro Champs this summer will have seen his quality).

8. We have waited 9 painful years for this season. Does anyone remember losing to Crewe? Yes, it really happened. Isn''t it rather nice to be back in the big league?

So, if we buy a striker great. If we don''t, we don''t. Nigel will try but he is not going to pay over the odds for somebody who is not better than what we have. If you put Dean Ashton in our team will he really be better than Matt or Leon? Who knows. What I am saying is:   DON''T PANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCC...................

[quote]Only just read this thread - wow! back to the good old days with some old favourites banging the drum for prudence/extravagance interspersed with a bit of a Yankee special. a1 canary- I had exactly t...[/quote]

Firstly, I''m enjoying this thread. Most posters have replied with honesty and strong opinions.

There would appear to be two camps.

The first, lets call them ex hippies, are happy fellows and may have liked listening to Led Zeppelin in the past. They believe everything will be OK in the end, are slightly timid and cautious to a fault, they preach restraint in all matters.

The second group (I include myself in this) have long memories, see plots and intrigues everywhere, and trust few professional bodies. Its called the ''Fat Man syndrome''.!. They can be easily identified by the imprint of horses hooves on their back!. They can be a tad bitter, slightly twisted, and may enjoy the music of Motorhead!. Unlike the first group, caution is a word unknown to them.

They see other clubs, yes, you know damn well who I mean, who''s Chairman and board don''t give a t***s for being in serious debt, because their club is doing quite nicely in the league, thank you very much. They then raise a glass of champagne to the idiots who run a ''tight ship'' and can''t afford the better players. ie. City!.

So although I have been a bit tongue in cheek, I say, borrow and beg the cash, its taken 9 bloody, long hard years, to get here, I can''t face going back there again, unless, a fighting chance is at least giving to Nigel Boy, in the shape of a large sum of hard cash in January.

PS. Yes, I do have a credit card, well to be honest, several actually.. But I guess you knew that already!.             

The only issue I have with spending some cash now is where it will lead to.

Clubs that have no long term plan have done exactly what you propose Wiz. This list is long but includes the binners, bradford, leeds - all have gambled on the good times buy buying quality players only to see them disappear faster than withdrawl of credit by the financial institutions.

Clubs at the very top of the league are financed in a totally different manner to us - their fan base is bigger and they attract significant commercial backing as well as more lucrative TV money, or like Chelsea have a backer with a deep pocket.

Middle ground clubs (Everton) have struggled by stretching themselves to the limit and are constantly on the look for fresh cash to burn - thats not a place I would like city to go. This has not lead to prosperity in financial or trophy terms.

Clubs that have a longevity plan tend to be smaller clubs without a financial backer. (eg Charlton, Bolton) They had a plan that revolves around living within their means, yet using the income they have to finance an improving squad. Significantly both these clubs have a similar fans base to us and should be a sound model to follow. As far as players go their apporaches have been different, on favouring short term contracts for proven players but high wages, the other spending prudently on potential or bargains.

I am sure that these are the clubs that will, like Boro this year, enjoy cup success and flourish; the likes of Spurs and Everton will continue to decline, whilst the backed clubs - Chelski, Boro - will enjoy a hour of fame before doing a Leeds/W Ham and dropping to relative oblivion.

It is essential, if we are to survive in the prem,that we have a better striker partner for Hux and also a better central creative midfielder. Neither come cheap and both will be hard to find, attract and sign during the relatively quiet Jan window. Both HAVE to have that elusibe mark of quality and better significantly better than we currently have. Disillusioned, out of favour stars or players coming up to a summer Bosman are our best bets.

We SHOULD invest every beg, borrowed, stolen £ we can find to keep our prem status alive - it is just that any borrowed £ must be within our ability to repay should we get relegated (thats where the corner infill comes in; having a Sheepshanks or that Bury bookmaker as our chairman does not appeal to me. The only thing we do not know is how near to our credit limit we are or what the size of the transfer kitty is.

The club does have a budget and I am sure new players will arrive. They may not be the big star names we are looking for but I am sure that Worthys objectives are the same as ours - good quality players to enable us to survive. Worthy could sign Mutu/Saha/Ashton (to fan adulation) and they then fail; it could be Sam Parkin of Swindon (to ridicule) turning out to be the new Alan Shearer - that is where NW puts his job on the line but having to chose the right one for his system.

All I can do is to continue to back the team on match day and discuss strengths and weaknesses in pub/on the messaage board afterwards.

Roll on the good times

OTBC

There are certainly two groups all right Wizard, and there may well be more. I characterize them this way:

The Conservatives

This group not only believes in living within their own means they make it a practice not to want to spend other people''s money. They subscribe to setting strong goals for success but to do it with building blocks that will stand the test of time

The Liberals

This group likes living within their means and everyone else''s as well. They advocate phrases such as "speculate to accumulate" , "open the war chest" etc etc. They also subscribe to setting strong goals but are happy to do it with a house of straw or cards. Don''t look for this group when things go pear-shaped because they are on to their next mission at that point.

[quote]Please enlighten me Wizard on exactly what the "FAT MAN" syndrome is[/quote]

FatManFat: I will have to rely on the good judgement of the moderators to allow this.

Way back in the mist of time, a certain chairman of City, was noted for being overweight!. ie. Mr.Chase.

It was a period of great unrest, with mass demonstrations inside and outside Carrow Road. National TV and all the media covered it. Further protest ''meetings'' were held in various venue''s in the city, all this was central in the demanding of Mr.Chase''s resignation.

There were even a mounted charge against supporters in Carrow Road by the boys in blue, 1500 of us felt in great danger that day.!.

We were all united in OUR OPINION that the ''fat man'' was responsible for the state the club was in at that time.

Hence the term ''fat man syndrome'', a dark period in the history of the club, which we don''t want ever to see repeated again.

So you see, some of us, won''t ever entirely trust a Chairman or board again.

Again our opinion was he (Chase) and the board said they would''nt/could''nt afford to buy decent players either. Mind you, they sold a few!.

Ah, THAT Fat Man. The one who gave his word that if Sutton was not at the Club at the beginning of the next season neither would he be?  The one who appointed the Ginger as our Manager?  The one who refused Martin O''Neil the money to buy Windlass?

For one awfull moment I thought you were referring to me

1st Wizard,

I am perplexed by your rock group analogies and if anything they would seem to undermine your thread. I am assuming you are are likening the group to the traits of their stereotypical fans ?
If you have heard much beyond "stairway to heaven" and have an appreciation of rock music culture it cannot be denied that Led Zep were massive (sales and crtically) whilst the only boundaries Motorhead pushed were those relating to speed (in more ways than one) and volume (not dificult turning one''s amp up to 11!).

I like both groups but if I would want ncfc''s success to be comparative to either there would be hesitation in choosing the former. By choosing the latter you would seem to be contradicting of ambitions.

Me thinks, the best analogy for your case would be Moby Grape!

[quote]1st Wizard, I am perplexed by your rock group analogies and if anything they would seem to undermine your thread. I am assuming you are are likening the group to the traits of their stereotypical fan...[/quote]

Dear Fillet: Much as I''m loathed to discuss the merits of music on a City site with an anorak?, but as you asked, I''ve seen so many live gigs, that I''ve lost count. And I must have spent thousands over the years. 

I hated ''Stairway to Heaven'' by the way. My personal favourites were Marillion (only with Fish, saw live 14 times), Magnum (saw live 12 times) Styx and Barclay James Harvest.

I''ve still got my flowers to prove it man, and of course those bands came way after Woodstock! (Oh, very happening days).

So I suppose I must pump for Crosby Stills and Nash, (before Young joined them) closely followed by Joe Cocker as my favs, just to appease you.

Mind you, a bit of Rinocerous (not sure how you spell that) kept me happy too.

You see, I love music, in most forms except talentless, inane bloody pop music. Although I do like Kylie, for obvious reasons other than her music?.

And you are correct, I was speaking in generalisations, and stereotypes, plus a bit tongue in cheek.

Happy?.

PS. Having been to Motorhead gigs a few times, I believe my choice of using them to describe the supporter group I put myself and other city fans in, just right!.

Marillion were never much good after Fish left, man. I do have a 12 " limited edition picture disk of Fugazi. Sad isn''t it? I like a bit of Dido now (old age you see.......)

[quote]Marillion were never much good after Fish left, man. I do have a 12 " limited edition picture disk of Fugazi. Sad isn''t it? I like a bit of Dido now (old age you see.......)[/quote]

I''m far sadder than that Tumbleweed!, I got into Marillion very, very early my friend.

Included in the record collection are all the main albums (Picture Discs and normal covers), plus ''Market Square Heroes'', ''Punch and Judy'', ''Kayleigh'' and ''Garden Party'' picture discs.

And I have''nt even included the imports!.

I must say I''m ''dead chuffed'' to have Magum''s ''Storytellers Night'' and ''Wings of Heaven'' both signed by all the band, yes, I did meet them!, cool guys all.

How bloody sad is that?.

I could go on and on, but I think this tangent should stop, It is after all a thread about Nigel Worthington, and my first love, after Mrs Wizz of course, Norwich City FC, yes?

But you''re bang on about Marillion''s decline after Fish left/ booted out.

I dont think we can blame anyone for the predicament that we are in other than Mr Chase. He got us there and the current board has done everything in its power to get us back into a sound situation.

Its not Worthingtons fault and its not the boards fault its how it is.

What some people dont seem to understand is that this supposed £20 million that a club gets for going up isnt just slapped into their hands instantly, it comes in drips and drabs with sky appearences, gates etc.

Add to that the fact that the club took a £15 million pound loan out with a bank a season or two ago to cover for the debt already owed and other projects. Its likely that quite a bit of money has been put to paying that off more quickly than the deal had agreed.

1st Wizard calls me an anorak and then proceeds to list how many times he''s seen his favourites and catalogues his collectables. Get outta the greenhouse!

p.s. I assume you plump for CS&N rather than pump. It''s an image I don''t wish to contemplate. I''m glad you don''t pump to Motorhead!

and now...

I''ll get me coat (whoops I sorry meant anorak, bought 1971 and worn exactly 312 times).

[quote]1st Wizard calls me an anorak and then proceeds to list how many times he''s seen his favourites and catalogues his collectables. Get outta the greenhouse! p.s. I assume you plump for CS&N rather ...[/quote]

As I felt you questioned my musical CV Fillet: don''t get so upset with me, (your quotes do you no favour), when I reply with an answer that, maybe you did''nt expect!.

I know what I''ve done, seen etc, and lived as a teenager through the greatest musical era ever, the 60''s.

You started this silly musical debate after trying to be really clever with your reply to one of my posts, which had a joking reference to bands, this, you damn well knew was tongue in cheek. 

This is a thread about Nigel Boy and City, stick to that, otherwise go and listen to YOUR music. I will not be replying to any more of this music debate, savvy?.

Now back to the footy, please?.

PS. A forum Guru with only 26 posts to their credit??.

Wow!. You must be really pumping Fillet!.

i have just exhausted myself reading through all these threads, and what happens, it turns into stuff about rock bands  zzzzzzzzzzzzz

ladies, handbags away please, and chicken, thanks for the dose of reality - you might like to know Mr Chase is not on my christmas card list

Gazza, I too saw the rotund one''s picture in the Hall of Fame a few weeks ago and muttered something blasphemous under my breath.  Shame I didn''t have a weapon concealed upon me at the time, but a stick of chewing gum would have had little effect I suspect!! 

[quote]Gazza, I too saw the rotund one''s picture in the Hall of Fame a few weeks ago and muttered something blasphemous under my breath. Shame I didn''t have a weapon concealed upon me at the time, but a sti...[/quote]

yes susie, i saw it on the day of the reunion match and promptly decided to boycott the south stand until it is removed

the chewing gum would have been handy once upon a time, to shut the ******* up!

how''s the leg btw, any chance of meeting u before the everton game?

Well! Fantastic thread everybody. Just returned from a rather pleasant holiday and thought prior to departing I had to post in support of the Great Wiz. Subsequently a fantastic response from both sides of the usual arguement

Yep I admit I was/am Bury Belvoir (Jocular and sexual play on words there chaps). I totally respect everybody''s point of view. Hey we''ve all been born into, or for other reasons, brought into the wonderful family of this unique club.

I certainly hate this personal attack on others point of views. Yes I do own my own business and there is one thing that I would never allow, is someone like Doncaster who may well be an excellent accountant/chief executive (or not as the case may be)  to be a public voice of the club.

There has never been an accountant who has made a success of a business. A good accountant will contribute a small amount if he is really really good!!

I do get the impression that the board do not like criticism. I have every respect for Mr Munby but even he was pulled to bits on a Talk Sport interview by giving the impression of planning to be relegated based on the ''Charlton plan''. One of the interviewers said, to the effect ''Aren''t you being a bit previous. Don''t you think with a more positive attitude you could stay in the Premiership? I must admit, however, Mr Munby is a first class representative of the club.

This is this the heart of this debate. Positive thinking combined with selling the club to the rest of the country.

Let''s give it a real go. Wiz and the like are not demanding reckless spending. If we fail it won''t be a disaster but when I think of the anticipation of the close season, what a disappointment it has all been so far.

Cast your mind back. Worthy appeared to have made some shrewd yet cheap signings but we all thought the ''big one'' the decent striker had already been lined up. Unfortunately it did not work out that way. Why? Perhaps we''ll never know, but the usual outpourings of Doncaster with ''We''ve used up our budget etc etc'' is an insult to our intelligence.

My lasting memory so far has been travelling to Liverpool, caught up in horrendous traffic jams to read the Saturday EDP that NCFC were pleading the shareholders not to cash their shares as they were so hard up. What a joke! What PR!

I know it doesn''t mean a lot but I would remind posters that I have hardly missed a match home or away for several years so that may explain my ''miserable old git'' attitude. Not my words my friendly contributors, but the very mild minded and highly attractive Mrs Bury Yellow.

For what it''s worth I think we will stay up. We must. It''s so great in the Premiership.

OTBC

Bury, you missed out the bit about Solicitors, along with Accountants.  For me they both manage to prevent good plans and good ideas being implemented, resulting in stiffled growth.

[quote]Well! Fantastic thread everybody. Just returned from a rather pleasant holiday and thought prior to departing I had to post in support of the Great Wiz. Subsequently a fantastic response from both sid...[/quote]

Firstly, well done to the lads at West Brom, they did at times, play some lovely football, yes?.

Secondly, I resurrected this thread, because the game against the ''baggies'', only highlights the original intentions of my thread, that City desperately needs a striker who can find the back of the net when the chance arrives.

And the projected sum of approx £1.8 million, available to Nigel in January, sure as hell won''t be enough to sign the striker with the credentials to do that job. I would have said £3 million would be a more realistic figure to start at, yes?. 

The board must, simple must back Nigel''s judgement, otherwise its back too the CoCo championship for another 9 bloody years!.

The trouble is, I''m beginning to wonder if that would bother them that much, as long as the bills are being paid!.

Well, s*d that for a lark, now that we''re here, I like the feeling of being a Premiership team, don''t you?. The board must move heaven and earth to help Nigel, so that he has the best chance possible, to maintain our new status.

Thanks for the great support Bury Yellow, were we twins in a former life, by any chance?. Or is the simple fact that we Suffolk people, see things more clearly than our Norfolk cousins?. 

Correct if I am wrong, as I often can be, but wasn''t the £1.2M saved by shareholders not cashing them in to be added to what the board were already planning to give Nigel?  That''s the way I read it anyway.  A lot of you seem to be thinking that £1.2M is the sum total that will be available, whereas I thought it was to be added to what the board are already planning to give Nigel??

Secondly if we do go down Wiz, you don''t seriously think it will take 9 years to get back up do you?   As others have already stated we have a squad that on the whole is likely to stay with us even if we do go down, combine that with the parachute payments and all the extra TV money we are likely to get from the relegation dog fight and we should come back straight away bigger and better than ever.  You bang on about being positive and going for it, but then "assume" if we go down its the end of the World, whereas I and many others think it will only be the start for this great club and are thinking long term positive thoughts, not one season wonders.  Of course I understand that if we stayed up we would be in for more money and have a better chance, but its a big gamble to splash out £3M plus on one player that could get injured in training and we still get relegated!!!

You hate Chase for getting us in debt, yet you hate the current board for not gambling with the money?  That confuses me

The club are already showing lots of signs of a long term plan to make this club a regualr premiership fitting.  The stand improvements that ultimately lead to the clubs main and biggest source of income from gate receipts.  The Malaysian tour trying to spread the mechandise and strengthen a very good sponsorship deal.  The pitch improvements making it one of the best if not the best in the prem.   Gradullay strengthening the squad with seasoned professional that have international and big league experience, yet are not like to jump ship if we do go down.  On top of that there are obvious plans to bring in one or more signings or loan players in January.  To me the glass is half full and the picture is rosey.   This is just the first few steps on a very long road to success for Norwich City Football Club.  OTBC 

It is a VERY dangerous assumption that IF we get relegated we will bounce straight back up again - witness The Scummers, West Ham, Leeds, Leicester, Sunderland, Wolves etc.

Our policy has to be one where we take every possible step to ensure Premiership survival - and that means spending money -its as simple as that

On other threads much has been made of whether we buy or loan come January.  The fact is we will only be able to afford to loan the sort of player who will make a difference - we can''t run to high transfer fees and high wages. There are quality strikers at other Clubs and  we may be able to bring one in on Premiership wages if we loan him - Christie would be my particular favourite

Having gained Premiership status it is VITAL that we maintain it as the gulf is ever widening between that League and the "Championship".  We are a small Club compared with many other Clubs and we do not have the crowd capacity to fund Premiership wages in a lower Doivision - the parachute payments are for one season only and only go part of the way to bridging the financial gap. Relegation WILL lead to strict financial boundaries being applied and the effect of that could last for years.

We will have one opportunity to move ahead and that will be in January - I truly hope that the Board makes the right decsion - INVEST!!

Most clubs that have struggled on getting relegated have done so BECAUSE they have heaviliy gambled on big wages & big transfer fees to keep them in the premier.

Those self same big wages were unsustainable in the fizzy pop league so the likes of leeds and west ham had to sell the very players that would have got them back to the prem.

With good planning, budgetting and contracts linked to the league we are in I understand that there will not be a wholesale change of the team in yellow if we do fail with our quest for prem survival. Our current squad is without a doubt significantly better than last years championship team.

Yes some of the higher earners will look for a move -Greeno will not be at the club for example - but the core of the side will be about to push for promotion. No it will not be gauranteed, but as Leicester and the baggies have proved a stable financial side to the club ensures player continuity and increases the chances of re-promotion.

Having said that signing a class striker will undoubtedly improve our chances of survival - but any fool can sign a striker, its getting one that has to be better than those we currently have that is the problem.

OTBC

Fatman I agree, but my point is if we spend too big on one or two players, that may or may not help us survive we will be in a much worse state than if we spend carefully.  I totally agree that a loan player is most likely.  I am also confident that Nigel and the board will source the right players.  However Wiz and Bury are asking for mega Bucks to be spent.

Wiz started the thread by stating that the board has more money than it lets on and should spend it all.  I like others thought we had a £25M debt and need to spend carefully, so that IF we do go down we are not ******ed (for want of a better word).  Plenty of teams have managed to control the business properly and go down and come back stronger, Charlton & WBA, although the later may still struggle this season.

There was an article on this website by a Premiership analyst whilst we were still fighting for the title in Div 1.  The article said in today''s game clubs that come up should not splash out on fancy players in a bid to survive.  They should have a long term strategy that covers the possibility of getting relegated and coming back with a strong nucleaus of a squad and sound finances.  its no good wasting big money on big players that will leave as soon as we go down.  We need to have sound professionals that can compete at this level, are affordable and will stay with the club if goes down.  Only Greeno wouldn''t in my opinion and who would blame him. 

I don''t know about you, but I would rather listen to and trust in someone that is paid to know about the Premiership, and all its finances and structures, than a few fans that want big players now!!

Anyway I don''t understand what all the fuss is about.  We have only lost 3 games to 3 of the biggest clubs in the premiership, we are out of the drop zone and who knows what the board are planning for January?   Until then why are we even starting to worry about it.  If Nigel buys a complete dog of a player that has no impact, then we should start this all over again, but it seems to me we are worrying about nothing at this stage.

Zipper has summed that up better than me as I missed an obvious point Fatman.   All those teams you have mentioned that went down and not come straight back again spent big on players.  All those players disappeared when they went down.  Like Zipper and I have said we have a good squad that on the whole would still be intact if we went down meaning our chances of getting back here with more money and a stronger team are much higher than any of your examples.

No, Norwich definitely have the signs of following the Charlton plan and that is definitely the way to go. 

StevenageFan, I don''t know why you felt inclined in one of your messages to say you agreed with FatMan because, while his message is filled with the desire to make a point, it fails to do so because it is filled with rhetoric rather than substance.

FatMan, your first sentence starts off emphasizing that it is VERY DANGEROUS to assume, if we are relegated, that we would bounce straight back up. Of course this is gross exaggeration. Some other posters may indeed assume immediate bounce back and such an assumption may be incorrect. But very dangerous??? Of course it’s not. Less than half of the current Premiership teams can truly be regarded as perennial participants in this division. Over the years, every other team spends time going to and fro. Many of the clubs comprising the latter group are much bigger clubs than Norwich. As a matter of fact some of the clubs currently plying their trade in the lower division are bigger clubs than Norwich.Your most important point speaks to what our club policy should be; i.e. take every possible step to ensure Premiership survival. Well, this is not exactly a profound piece of insight on your part. Almost everyone would agree with you on that from the Board members through to all fans. The key is to put perspective to "every possible step", which you don''t. Of course we will invest something, and probably in January. If you are trying to make a point why don’t you be specific and suggest how much money should be invested. Your message seems to imply much more than has been talked about by the board but we don’t really know because your message is vague

[quote]Fatman I agree, but my point is if we spend too big on one or two players, that may or may not help us survive we will be in a much worse state than if we spend carefully. I totally agree that a loan...[/quote]

Bloody hell this is getting good!,  and just what I intended, with very strong idea''s from all sides.

Stenvenage fan gives me the greatest concern though, very head in the clouds dare I say?. Although he may have a few good theories, his judgement, I feel, is slightly optimistic and flawed. It will not be very easy to bounce straight back as he implies.

Current players will leave, and not just Greeno I fear!. For they too, will have tasted of the fruit''s of the promised land, and found them to be good, and profitable!.

And even worse maybe, even ''Nigel Boy''!.

And I can assure him, in no way do I compare Mr Chase with our current board of tight fisted chickens. I''ve always had the opinion that the colour of concrete was his god!.

I''m not asking them to go bonkers in January with £50 squillion quid you know!. But surely £3.5 million is not out of the question, is it?.

Yes, I realise that it does''nt guarantee survival, but it would give ''Nigel boy'' a fighting chance, yes?. 

Plus, and I believe this has been overlooked by many of my doubters on here, they will recoup this when Greeno departs soon, as surely he will, in January, as my balls foretold!!.

sorry Wiz, I normally find your posts very informative and most importantly extremely funny, but to say my views are a bit head in the clouds is even more confusing.

It is you that have stated you want the board to really go for it and spend some decent cash, whereas I say buy what we can afford that adds to a strong sqaud that could survive the prem and will remain intact for a "bounce back" if relegated.

Surely thinking, this promised land, striker of yours will save the day and keep us up here is more head in the clouds than thinking long term, financially sound club with decent squad?

Anyway I never said we would bounce straight back, I said we would have a strong squad that is likely to come back up even stronger, not necessarily the next season, but certainly way before 9 years is up which is how long you suggested it could take. 

I am merely supporting a tried and tested plan (Charlton, WBA, Boro, Bolton) rather than a spend and hope plan (Leeds, Sunderland, West Ham, Ipswich, Wolves).  Which do you honestly think is more head in the clouds?

Anyway the point you are missing is that if we already have £1.2M to spend, which as far as I am aware was to be added to whatever Nigel already had for a striker (which he failed to get last time around) and we sell Greeno we could potentially have £6M or more to spend.  Now I would imagine that the board will keep some of the Green cash, but Nigel will have at least £3.5M which is all you want anyway, so what is all the fuss about?  Rather than recoup when Green departs, wouldn''t it be sell Green and buy a striker all within the same transfer slot?   I think this is all a bit panic before anything has really happened.

Oh, also if we were relegated I would be interested to know what players you think would be bought by which Premiership teams?  Discounting Green of course.  Unless one of our strikers bags 15 plus goals none of them.

YC, don''t know why you had to make that remark at me.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I was engaging in a FRIENDLY exchange of ideas with Fatman that didn''t need your nose poking in.  I was actually on the same side of the fence as you, but you seem to attack anyone!! 

Still confused by the way!!