Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

A message for an one who sits in the upper barclay

My son and I have been season ticket holders for the last 8 years in the N & P mainly due to the Family area discount for youngsters. It has always been a gripe of mine that so many people without children have bought tickets in here depriving parents with young children the availability of "cheap" tickets.

This year my son has left the ranks of the "youngsters" and so there is no financial benifit in staying in the N & P at the expense of our "new" supporters. but I have one concern - and i''m talking about the upper Barclay now -. When we play in the autumn/spring and the sun is shinning I see loads of people shielding their eyes during the game although mostly in the lower section does this affect the upper section too?

You are right - it is a bit of an issue.  I''m in the Upper Barclay, row M and we are above the roofline of the River End so it never bothers us....I think you are ok perhaps one or two rows further forward than me, but not too many; I think there''s a couple of other posters on here from the Upper Barclay, perhaps they know where the cut-off is....

I''d be curious for any info too, as I''m thinking of moving seats, and haven''t been in there for a game in about 15 years.  Is it a decent place to sit in general?  Any info would be good.

I''m in Row K. I love the Upper Barclay. We have a crowd around us who have been there for several years.

Sun in eyes happens very rarely in a narrow band of year.

Come and join us, you will enjoy it.

Row L - no problems and a great view. In fact the man that sparked the "missed tenure" quote at the AGM sits a couple of rows behind me… so if its good enough for him…

I sit in row D and there is the occasional game where the sun is an issue. Its nothing a cap doesn''t solve though. I''ve sat in the Nand P many years ago and would never go back. Much more atmosphere in the Barclay.

Come and join us.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

My son and I have been season ticket holders for the last 8 years in the N & P mainly due to the Family area discount for youngsters. It has always been a gripe of mine that so many people without children have bought tickets in here depriving parents with young children the availability of "cheap" tickets.

This year my son has left the ranks of the "youngsters" and so there is no financial benifit in staying in the N & P at the expense of our "new" supporters. but I have one concern - and i''m talking about the upper Barclay now -. When we play in the autumn/spring and the sun is shinning I see loads of people shielding their eyes during the game although mostly in the lower section does this affect the upper section too?

[/quote]I think it affects the lower Barclay, and Upper barclay back to about Row J.  Usually when the sun is low in Winter, it''s less of an issue for the upper Barclay in late spring/early autumn.

[quote user="JJ"]

I''d be curious for any info too, as I''m thinking of moving seats, and haven''t been in there for a game in about 15 years.  Is it a decent place to sit in general?  Any info would be good.

[/quote]

The main problem with the Barclay End is that this season all the goals seem to be scored at the River End - though we did get a great view of Crofty''s screamer and Patty''s shinner against the Binners.

I might well do, although weighing up my options.  I went there a few times during the golden period of the early 90''s and enjoyed it, but was always a lower Barclay Boy.   Have spent a long time in the Snakepit, but some of the decent regulars where I sit have gone and the people in their place (one especially) aren''t that pleasant.  Change as good as a rest maybe?

Saw Andy Marshall''s home debut there.  Still one of my favourite matches of that era (despite what he did later...)

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

The main problem with the Barclay End is that this season all the goals seem to be scored at the River End - though we did get a great view of Crofty''s screamer and Patty''s shinner against the Binners.

[/quote]

Its okay.  I''m used to it as Norwich NEVER score at the Barclay End when I go!

We sit in row R and it''s never been a problem at all. I was a little worried about the distance from the pitch but you get a great view and although we were among the few who thought Jamie got the first v''s Barnsley it''s never been an issue.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Andy - Didn''t realise you still habited the Upper Barclay. Will look out for you at half time.

Bob[/quote]Yeah… me and lardy boy are still there… he''s the reason it sags in the middle!

I sit in row B. The sun is a bit of an issue when its out but this is only a problem for half the game at the most and is easily solved by a pair on sunnies or a cap. (Shame I always forget to bring either)

[quote user="jbghost"]

I sit in row D and there is the occasional game where the sun is an issue. Its nothing a cap doesn''t solve though. I''ve sat in the Nand P many years ago and would never go back. Much more atmosphere in the Barclay.

Come and join us.

[/quote]

Row D Upper Barclay? Best seats in the ground. Join in the singing. excellent view, no fear of falling, quick exit, no swearing in front of the ladies, good to have a bit of sun, challenge the Snakepit, laugh at the opposition,. decent stewards, bit short on vergie pies at half time sometimes.... go for it!

We are also Upper Barclay, 2nd row. The problem of the sun is easily solved by wearing a cap. We have had the same seats for 7/8 years and, like lots of others, wouldn''t want to sit anywhere else - personal preference, I guess.

I don''t get to many games due to the financial implications of having to travel from Reading but having been in all the stands over the years I can honestly say the Upper Barclay is the best of the lot, you get the atmosphere, a decent view and some decent banter amongst the regulars.

Tried to save time and expense the other day by contacting the box office and explain my situation and the desire/advantages of moving from the family area - see original post- to be told that all seats in the Barclay upper are season tickets and because of that there are no tickets available until after the 28th of Feb as it gives people the chance to renew them. I was also told the club expect to sell the 20000 tickets as per last year!

I hope this guys right about the number of season tickets as this brings in much needed funds. But are all tickets in the Upper Barclay season ticket?