Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

did standing fans make for better derby day atmosphere???

i sit in lowerbarclay a - (next to snakepit) and yeah ''we''re the snakepit, the snake pit, snakepit over here'' chant gets on my tits big time (i never answer ''we''re the barclay, the barclay, barclay over here...''honest) but who else has noticed the snakey''s have been pretty much quietened this season...a shadow of their former selves,,,toothless (all that brawling) and voiceless...why is that???from what i''ve seen this season, and different from others, some orange jacketed geezers (who???) have been flooding into their pit, and making the snakes sit down in their baskets...and bang - the atmosphere has correspondingly gone down and cheerless...but from the starters pistol yesterday, i noticed the orange''s were restrained, and didn''t put the snakes down in their seats,,,yep, the snakes were up on their feet and charmed, singing and goading - they did their bit and helped proceedings along...coincidence or what???

Poor old Snakepit, yes have to agree with you LGT, we do have a few near me who have mates in the pit and they confirm that the strict sit down policy is making them quiet.

What a shame, as it''s standing all game, every game in my area of the Barclay, our stewards have given up trying. Sadly we shouldn''t need to either sit or stand to make some noise, but on personal experience (of a good many years) standing up just makes for more singing. I am sure someone can explain better than me. It''s the dodgy games when we throw it all away when it''s tough to get singing going. We need some more noise from the Snakepit. Come on boys, keep up the good work from Sunday.

i sit in barclay block, and am always up as much as I can. I have no qualms with people wanting to sit down, but yesterday I wanted to be up as much as possible and was, much to the annoyance of a few behind us. Mainly as my mate is rather tall...

I was in snake pit yesterday and it was awsome. Even though right behind the bloody column!

Standing is the way forward! When use to sit in barclay a few years back - I was in row T, and would often be able to stand most of game! Back of barclay is better!

Barclay seemed to stand most of yesterday too?!

it normally takes the ''man in a jacket'' about 45 seconds after kick off to tell us to sit down in the snake pit. it is ridiculous as the atmosphere in the last couple of seasons has been the worst for years and i blame making us sit down as well as the crap performances. unfortunately they like to keep their bosses happy in the security control centre at the top of the snake pit.

if we all refuse then they cannot do a thing....... youre just a man in a jacket!!!!

Well hello you Barclay boys, I sit and STAND in the Snakepit but yesterday we stood without no problem from start to finish.We might be a little muted this season but we still have the honour of leading most of the chants.Yesterday was just Bloody awesume I salute the boys in yellow.This banter between the Barclay and Snakepit is all good natured lets keep it up,It certainly confuses the visiting fans and shut the Binners fans up.Anyway we are all shouting for the boys in Yellow and Green.Keep a look out for a little choir in the Snakepit half way up below the Radio Norfolk studio,we started the F*** off Jim Magilton.

SNAKEPIT AND CITY TILL I DIE     

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Poor old Snakepit, yes have to agree with you LGT, we do have a few near me who have mates in the pit and they confirm that the strict sit down policy is making them quiet.

What a shame, as it''s standing all game, every game in my area of the Barclay, our stewards have given up trying. Sadly we shouldn''t need to either sit or stand to make some noise, but on personal experience (of a good many years) standing up just makes for more singing. I am sure someone can explain better than me. It''s the dodgy games when we throw it all away when it''s tough to get singing going. We need some more noise from the Snakepit. Come on boys, keep up the good work from Sunday.[/quote]Because any singing is done standing up! Ever seen a choir do their stuff whilst sat down? Nope, never. If people want to sit down there''s the Jarrold and (unfortunately) the River end. If you want to stand and sing, then there''s the Barclay and the Snakepit. Has anyone ever come up with a reasonable explanation of why we can''t stand in these areas?

Chris R - yes there is a perfectly good explanation, it''s called Health and Safety and it''s made the whole world go mad

I don''t even think it''s anything to do with choice. Back in the days of the terraces there was always the City Stand which had seating, and other clubs had similar set ups. It''s all now down to legislation. We have discussed this many times before and yet no one can really give those who wish to stand a good enough reason not to. Except there is a law preventing it.

It''s a football match. It''s meant to be exciting. It''s not like going to the cinema, opera or classical music concert. It''s sport and you get involved as you are supporting the team.

I do understand the club have to follow the rules (although they have said in the past that they would welcome a terraced area if it were allowed). However most of the stewards where I am have given up. It only takes one chant of "Stand up if you hate the scum" or one run towards goal and everyone is standing again.

If I wanted to sit at a football match I would transfer myself to the middle of the City Stand. Each to their own, but I do feel for the Snakepit. Come on lads, yesterday was a welcome return to the songbook for you. Keep up the good work.

The whole Health and Safety thing is a bit of a non-starter anyway.  For instance, if the Jarrold had to evacuate rapidly because of, for instance, fire there would be all sorts of injuries caused by people trying to clamber over rows of seats and tripping over as a result and then being trodden on by those behind them.  Far safer and easier to evacuate an area of terracing where the only thing in the way are a few crush barriers (assuming, of course, some idiot hasn''t erected a huge fence at the front).

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i sit in lowerbarclay a - (next to snakepit) and yeah ''we''re the snakepit, the snake pit, snakepit over here'' chant gets on my tits big time (i never answer ''we''re the barclay, the barclay, barclay over here...''honest) but who else has noticed the snakey''s have been pretty much quietened this season...a shadow of their former selves,,,toothless (all that brawling) and voiceless...why is that???

from what i''ve seen this season, and different from others, some orange jacketed geezers (who???) have been flooding into their pit, and making the snakes sit down in their baskets...and bang - the atmosphere has correspondingly gone down and cheerless...

but from the starters pistol yesterday, i noticed the orange''s were restrained, and didn''t put the snakes down in their seats,,,yep, the snakes were up on their feet and charmed, singing and goading - they did their bit and helped proceedings along...

coincidence or what???

[/quote]

why? i quite like the song gets the atmosphere going. the snake pit is absoulutley instrumental in providing atmoshere inside carrow road so its a good point though

probably down to tv microphone were placed but seemed very quiet for a derby until you lot scored

some grounds you dont get feel for what atmosphere is like and others you do. norwich arent usually on the tele to much @ home, so was asking the question more than saying it was quiet

Go away you idiot gold scum fan, you wouldn''t understand atmosphere, not in your morgue. Well done to all the city fans Sunday, especially us in the Barclay and the Snake, looked above and even saw some upper standing and singing. Was an amazing day.

i was just asking lol, some times they turn them down due to swearing between rival fans in chants

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Chris R - yes there is a perfectly good explanation, it''s called Health and Safety and it''s made the whole world go mad I don''t even think it''s anything to do with choice. Back in the days of the terraces there was always the City Stand which had seating, and other clubs had similar set ups. It''s all now down to legislation. We have discussed this many times before and yet no one can really give those who wish to stand a good enough reason not to. Except there is a law preventing it. It''s a football match. It''s meant to be exciting. It''s not like going to the cinema, opera or classical music concert. It''s sport and you get involved as you are supporting the team. I do understand the club have to follow the rules (although they have said in the past that they would welcome a terraced area if it were allowed). However most of the stewards where I am have given up. It only takes one chant of "Stand up if you hate the scum" or one run towards goal and everyone is standing again. If I wanted to sit at a football match I would transfer myself to the middle of the City Stand. Each to their own, but I do feel for the Snakepit. Come on lads, yesterday was a welcome return to the songbook for you. Keep up the good work.[/quote]

Talk about health and saftey, I have a very good friend who is a sgt in the armed rapid response team in Norfolk police, he has in his car all these guns and some times drives at 150mph to get to the scene, but he is not allowed to warm a tin of beans on the canteen cooker Health and Saftey.

i agree with we8wba, i watched the game later on sky+ and it didn''t sound anywhere near as good as it actually was in the ground, where were the sky microphones? i was very dissappointed the atmosphere didn''t come across very accuarately on the box. Don Goodman and the other guy commented once or twice about how good it was though

Health and safety is the biggest load of rubbish!

I love watching footy at back of barclay or like sunday in snake pit (standing). As already mentioned if we wanted to sit - theres everywhere else in ground!

I enjoy festivals in the summer - now if the HSE (health and safety executive) was as fussey about that as football music concerts would not happen, there are always crushes and people getting trapped on the floor (but it is not until incidents like Hillsborough & Bradford) that something major happened with football.

We8

The atmosphere was incredible, don''t always rely on TV to confirm what it was really like. I still can''t speak properly after singing non stop.

However, have to say it was louder in the Barclay, funnily enough, when we trashed you 5-2.