Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Farlie

You Tube reminiscing (where you there?)

yes remember all them &  a tall  lad call colin ( 8 ball )  as got hit by a black pool ball in cambridge. i did know if  your name is c o & was good friends with mr bradshaw & chippy

Zippy , probably dont know you then , if you knew Darren Greenwood you would also know Nick Flat , Julian King, Mark Jackson etc  they all used to go to Norwich together ?

I know Julian very well and saw him at away games quite regular but not recently so guess his ms has worsened. He was not that impressed to see me as we always seemed to lose. It does however remind me also of when travelling to West Brom in the cup circa 81 when Big Cyril scored a screamer  - The bus we travelled on pulled into a service station and Kingo and crew rapidly dissappeared out the rear emergency door to "greet" some fans wearing blue and white from down the road.

Zippy , Julian was at the Blackpool game, but I did not see him at the Birmingham one. I think the MS is hit and miss, great bloke and very passionate about the Yella''s , the others I mentioned pop up occasionally but Julian is the only one who is a regular as far as I know, kingo and the crew greeting some blues , sounds familiar.

I remember driving to Poortman Road and meeting them and about 1000 others at the train station , as we crossed the bridge he and the others came running past me overtaking everyone to give the massing scummers some verbal, they charged forward but were greeted by a lone traffic warden ….. and stopped in their tracks , hilarious moment as not one of them dare pass him, it was like there was an invisible force field there . Needless to say they got some stick off everyone!

Even funnier, my ex wife ( B*tch) wanted to come along that day and as we walked into the ground and down onto the terracing , she was greeted by the usual baying from the scum at very, she gave some back , but (now to my amusement) was hit by a meat pie that was shredded as it came through the chicken wire after being launched by one of them , made a right mess of her sergio tacchini jumper  LOL .Sad I know but always makes me giggle!

I know that there have been a few posting that its was appalling behaviour , but it was part of footballing life and growing up I suppose , times have changed and for the better in some ways ( except for all seater grounds ) still miss standing as it created more passion ,and it still happens but its now small scale and on the streets after pubs and clubs close on a Friday or Saturday night.

I am sure that it is still a part of football , underground where its not so visible , I am past those days as learnt my lessons but would I have changed them , NO as it was part of growing up,  sticking together, friendships , and some hilarious times.

[quote user="Tony Powells Redundant Tackle...."]

I know that there have been a few posting that its was appalling behaviour , but it was part of footballing life and growing up I suppose , times have changed and for the better in some ways ( except for all seater grounds ) still miss standing as it created more passion ,and it still happens but its now small scale and on the streets after pubs and clubs close on a Friday or Saturday night.

I am sure that it is still a part of football , underground where its not so visible , I am past those days as learnt my lessons but would I have changed them , NO as it was part of growing up,  sticking together, friendships , and some hilarious times.

[/quote]

You had to be there to understand I guess TPRT. Where as it''s true that you could still go to Carrow Road and just about keep out of trouble it was very difficult for the fans that went away. It was part of football in those days and we learned to live with it or stopped going. Simple as! That''s why attendances dropped so alarmingly. It''s hard to believe now how poorly attended games were in the late 70''s and early 80''s. I remember going to the ''big clubs'' in the league for the first time in 72/3 and stand in 40/50,000 crowds. By 1983 those attendances had dropped by nearly half. 22,000 at Arsenal, 20,000 at Everton, 13,000 at Sunderland, 34,000 at Man.U., and our home gates were often below 15,000. Fans really had voted with their feet and of those left some were diehard fans who would put up with anything to see their team and some went for the ruck!

If times hadn''t have changed I would never have ended up back in The Barclay with my daughter, neither would I have taken my grandson to the games at QPR and Coventry. Most of us can look back and say we didn''t come to any real harm but I for one am glad those days are long gone. The Barclay is better now, seats and all! Which Barclay would you choose for your grandchildren, the one we have today or the 1983 version?

I went to most of the games mentioned on this thread and I hated that day at Brighton. Jimmy Case was as much of a thug on the pitch as some of the fans and "Sussex''s Finest" were off it. He really put it about that day and his goal should never have stood.

Tony Powell:  Spot on mate.  Ignore the rightious ones as they weren''t there.

Like tonight when we meet up they''ll be at least one conversation about the past (some of the younger guys will say there''s more!) particularly as its QPR.

This thread has proved to me that not all on this forum are "new" young supporters who come from the kids for a quid era and judge everything about supporters, players, atmosphere, violence, passion etc on the last 5 years. 

Good to know you guys are lurking and like me keep out of the arguments over sweet FA that usually occur on here. Bring on the cushions.

I remember walking past a pub in our colours when all of a sudden the door opened and out pelted a crowd of brighton fans.We stood our own until the pool balls started raining down on us,at this point we made our excuses and ran

[quote user="bringbackchippy"]troy, ha ha thats chris ok! whats he doin now? wasnt too good so l heard? by the way ''jas hard-nut barclayboy'' dont think you would have said that to him face to face!![/quote]

Your right he''s not doing to well, he sometimes sells the big issue outside topshop. normally buy him a pint and throw a few quid his way when i can afford it. god the fights we used to have on old castle carpark with the scum.

[quote user="BDCSid"]

Like tonight when we meet up they''ll be at least one conversation about the past (some of the younger guys will say there''s more!) particularly as its QPR.

This thread has proved to me that not all on this forum are "new" young supporters who come from the kids for a quid era and judge everything about supporters, players, atmosphere, violence, passion etc on the last 5 years. 

Good to know you guys are lurking and like me keep out of the arguments over sweet FA that usually occur on here. Bring on the cushions.

[/quote]

Thanks BDC , i am am sure there are a few of us !

[quote user="BDCSid"]

[/quote]

Very seldom post on here..but always lurking around!

Barclay till I die!

Bloody pussy cats. The 80''s was tame stuff. The Barclay was like the wild west in the early 70''s. No segregation. Away fans getting their early and occupying the Barclay with City fans turning up bit by bit to reclaim it.Usually ended up with plod in the middle with a few yards of no mans land.Away games were were mayhem. Ended up in Greenwich hospital in ''75 after being attacked in their main stand. Hit on the back of the head with a bottle !

I was at the Brighton,Derby and West Brom games in the early eighties. I remember being on Hove station after the game and a load of their fans were lobbing bricks at us from the top of an embankment near the station. We should have won that game but in true Norwich fashion we didn''t really turn up. I also remember going to a league game at Leicester about the same time and we won 4-1, needless to say their fans weren''t best pleased and they steamed into us as we left the ground. Sheffield Wednesday on the last day of the 81-82 season was another good away day, lost 2-1 but we got promoted because Leicester could only draw with Shrewsbury. Very good days, I''d give anything to be 21 again.

Fratton Park 1975.... We needed 3 points to go up..and send Pompey down. Easy 3-0 win but running battles the whole match with the locals. As the coach chugged up the long hill out of Portsmouth a group of kids lobbed a rock from a bridge which cracked the front window, we only stopped at a pub halfway back and bought champagne.

who is this paddy beevers geezer, sadly phil hall died a few weeks ago, bless him. remember the game well, broke down on way to game, got there at half time. cost a bloody fortune.

sorry to here about phil hall  passing away was a very game lad  . paddy beevers was someone who you know would  always  stand  & was a very nice bloke . chippy  been to a few games with you & still have carls  training top. can still remember the good old days when used to be lots of  Lowestoft  boys going to games  home & away . respects & on the ball city.

[quote user="ricky knight"]who is this paddy beevers geezer, sadly phil hall died a few weeks ago, bless him. remember the game well, broke down on way to game, got there at half time. cost a bloody fortune.[/quote]

Dunno Never met him!  Only his alias.....Paddy Bevis......Ha!

Fratton park game was a cracker...I remember at half time when they put up the wrong score for our promotion rivals to wind us up.

My Dad saw me on telly that day..he wasn`t amused I had just caught a coppers helmet that had been thrown to me by  JimmyS..............Twas a Mental Crew day out

Sorry to here about Phil.

ah shit poor old phil, top man, remember he always thought my mate don painton was an away fan, don used to give him a wide birth!! Remember a couple of instances with paddy. We went to middlesbro away in 2 vans and stopped off in yorkshire somewhere on way home, while drinking and being a bit koud, paddy spotted this big lad at the bar with a leeds scarf, well we were playing leeds the next week so he said to this lad ''are you coming to norwich next week?'' he replied yes, so paddy said '' why do you wanna come all that way to get filled in when l can do it now for you'' well you can guess what happened after that!!

Also at cambridge l think it was a pre season game, we ''met'' cambridge at this bridge, it all started to go off, next thing you hear Grrrr! and paddy come tearing past everyone and piles straight into them arms going like fu..in windmills.

That game l hired a large coach and we''d been drinking since 9oc, well as you come into cambridge there was this pub by a roundabout, we saw their mob come outside so we tell driver to pull over and we all got of coach, grandad masks and all,(remember those) and there was a big free for all in the middle of the road, great times them, this is great going over old times again, perhaps we should write a book ha!

Remember Bernie standing in the middle of scum at portacabin rd, it all opens up and theres bernie, top man.

this sounds class.wish aways were still like it. unfortunatly I was born in 1987 so have been brought up on all seater stadiums, away fans sitting down and the away section being full of women and kids.sigh.