Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Plymouth away

Hi all, has anyone here been to Plymouth before? I''m going on saturday and was just wondering where the best place to park is and is it easy to get to? thanks for your help

Is Plymouth easy to get to?  No not from Norwich its ******* miles away!

As for parking not sure but aviod the main car park at the ground, it always looks a nightmare getting away from there!

haha its ok, I''m in Minehead that weekend so only have a 2 hour journey or so to contend with, not to bad, I think I will ignore the car park there then mate, thanks for the advice.

If you go into the housing area opposite the car park and up the hill a bit there is lots of unrestricted parking about 5 minutes walk from the ground.

[quote user="pat51"]If you go into the housing area opposite the car park and up the hill a bit there is lots of unrestricted parking about 5 minutes walk from the ground.[/quote]

Lockable wheel nuts recommended, and don''t leave anything NCFC in your car.  But seriously, turn right a few hundred yards before the ground and park near the old Albion rugby ground.  Should be ok down there and nearer the A38 to get out.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Anyone know whether you can buy tickets on the gate for away supporters?[/quote]

Yes I am sure you can.  Cant see them worrying to much about us, as it is the furthest possible trip in the championship. 361 miles I think.

[quote user="Paul Webster"]

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Anyone know whether you can buy tickets on the gate for away supporters?[/quote]

Yes I am sure you can.  Cant see them worrying to much about us, as it is the furthest possible trip in the championship. 361 miles I think.

[/quote]

Thanks Paul, I''ll check with the ticket office when it opens.

Just been given a ''pass'' by the missus to go to the game, unfortunately not able to get to Norwich to pick up the ticket and dont trust the post to deliver in time. Planning to go by unconventional route as i live close to Stansted Airport, ...flight to Newquay, train to Plymouth via Cornish South Coast...cant get a flight back on saturday so will do the intercity rail service via London Paddington on route back, all being well!!!!

[quote user="Hooleyfan"][quote user="Paul Webster"]

[/quote]

Thanks Paul, I''ll check with the ticket office when it opens.

Just been given a ''pass'' by the missus to go to the game, unfortunately not able to get to Norwich to pick up the ticket and dont trust the post to deliver in time. Planning to go by unconventional route as i live close to Stansted Airport, ...flight to Newquay, train to Plymouth via Cornish South Coast...cant get a flight back on saturday so will do the intercity rail service via London Paddington on route back, all being well!!!!

[/quote]

Sounds expensive!  If the train route you are planning to use is the over night sleeper.  Watch out it gets cancelled a lot as we found out a couple of years ago on the way back from Torquay!!!

[quote]

Sounds expensive!  If the train route you are planning to use is the over night sleeper.  Watch out it gets cancelled a lot as we found out a couple of years ago on the way back from Torquay!!!

[/quote]

Don''t remind me!!

Well apart from the £26 for the on-the-day match ticket, all travel tickets secured...

£30 one way air ticket Stansted to Newquay

£2.50 Rail ticket Newquay to Plymouth (bargain!)

£26 Rail ticket Plymouth to Paddington, Underground to Liverpool Street and Liverpool Street back to Stansted (another bargain!)

Cost wise pretty reasonable!

Journey starts 0600hrs, fly from Stansted 0645 Saturday, arrive Newquay 8.30am (breakfast on the seafront) Leave Newquay 10am and arrive Plymouth 12noon (a few beers inat Kitty O''Hanlon''s in the City centre) 6pm direct service to Paddington Saturday, should be home (with three points) by 11.30pm

That''s the plan!

Thats dedication for you! And I have a lot more respect for fans like you than the pinkun keyboard warriors ! My trip is a lot easier, heading to Bristol tonight, staying there the night, then going to Minehead tomorrow morning, attending a wedding on Friday, then driving down to Plymouth on the saturday, probably arrive about 12ish, this Kitty O ''Hanlon''s you were talking about, is it away fans friendly or is it best not to wear our colours till we get to the stadium?

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]

Well apart from the £26 for the on-the-day match ticket, all travel tickets secured...

£26 Rail ticket Plymouth to Paddington, Underground to Liverpool Street and Liverpool Street back to Stansted (another bargain!)

Journey starts 0600hrs, fly from Stansted 0645 Saturday, arrive Newquay 8.30am (breakfast on the seafront) Leave Newquay 10am and arrive Plymouth 12noon (a few beers inat Kitty O''Hanlon''s in the City centre) 6pm direct service to Paddington Saturday, should be home (with three points) by 11.30pm

That''s the plan!

[/quote]

Thats not that bad.  Have a good trip.  I am giving it a miss this year, done it the last three seasons and its a killer from here!!  Giving myself the year off, with all the other long hauls we face.

[quote user="ellis206"]Thats dedication for you! And I have a lot more respect for fans like you than the pinkun keyboard warriors ! My trip is a lot easier, heading to Bristol tonight, staying there the night, then going to Minehead tomorrow morning, attending a wedding on Friday, then driving down to Plymouth on the saturday, probably arrive about 12ish, this Kitty O ''Hanlon''s you were talking about, is it away fans friendly or is it best not to wear our colours till we get to the stadium?
[/quote]

Aaaahhh Kitty''s!! (swoons)  A fine Oirrish bar frequented by lovely young Uni gals, well it used to be but I haven''t been back for a few years.  Decent ale and free monkey nuts on the bar if I remember correctly.

[quote user="Scooby"]

Aaaahhh Kitty''s!! (swoons)  A fine Oirrish bar frequented by

lovely young Uni gals, well it used to be but I haven''t been back for a

few years.  Decent ale and free monkey nuts on the bar if I

remember correctly.

[/quote]

That''s right, wherever there''s young Uni gals you can usually find my nuts somewhere near the bar....

There are a few wetherspoons around, one just off Central park, where Home park is although I''ve forgot the name of it...although i think its a home fans only. The away fans pub is the Pennycomequick, which is between the train station and the ground, 5-10 mins walk. I have no idea how to use image shack or anything else i''d smack up a map here for you.  If you''re driving, when you come off the A38 into plymouth theres a pub on the left called the Golden Hind which is alright, don''t know its home/away fans status though. Theres two other wetherspoons, the Mannamead on mutley plain and union rooms in the city centre, both about 20mins from the ground, Mutleys signposted and city centre is easy enough.Car parking, theres a morrisons about ten minutes walk from the ground, you''ll go past it on your way through, and theres a leisure centre round the corner although i''d imagine home fans will snap that up. There are lots of little backstreets but i wouldn''t advise parking there due to the amount of Argyle fans who head that way after the game. Anywhere though in the city centre and you will be at the ground in half an hour of walking.Don''t worry too much about NCFC stuff being on display, its unlikely fans will vandalise or anything but that being said you never know and plymouths not as safe as norwich and the chav population being treble that of Norwichs.anyone else need any more info i''ll try and help out.

[quote user="ellis206"]Thats dedication for you! And I have a lot more respect for fans like you than the pinkun keyboard warriors ! My trip is a lot easier, heading to Bristol tonight, staying there the night, then going to Minehead tomorrow morning, attending a wedding on Friday, then driving down to Plymouth on the saturday, probably arrive about 12ish, this Kitty O ''Hanlon''s you were talking about, is it away fans friendly or is it best not to wear our colours till we get to the stadium?
[/quote]

To be honest, whilst I''m no stranger to Plymouth and the area as a whole, I''ve no knowledge of the likely response to away colours in the city area, let alone in Kitty''s as I''ve never done this as an away trip before. My knowledge comes from holidaying and visiting family in the area over the last 15 years. I would expect a good ''Oirrish'' welcome to all at Kitty''s, being off the route to the ground but close to the central shopping area of the city. Due to my extensive tour I''m not going to wear my Aviva shirt but will be wearing some yellow and green which wont shouldn''t look out of plce there.

Hooley, i live in this city and often wear the colours and haven''t had any football fan related violence to worry about. walked through all the home fans last season and had no problems so don''t be too concerned about wearing colours, i can''t remember any real trouble at home park except for when cardiff are there. that said... when we stuff them they may not be so accomodating.

[quote user="Polar"]Hooley, i live in this city and often wear the colours and haven''t had any football fan related violence to worry about. walked through all the home fans last season and had no problems so don''t be too concerned about wearing colours, i can''t remember any real trouble at home park except for when cardiff are there. that said... when we stuff them they may not be so accomodating.
[/quote]

Thanks Polar...New shirt it is then!...I''ll just make sure I''ve got some good running shoes on just in case of a nasty reaction to City win.

Just avoid central park at the end, or move with other city fans into the city center or to the buses or such and you should be fine. Only the serious fans will be there, the glory supporters of their back to back promotions won''t be due to their awful start.

Virgin post ere.

Kitty''s is in the city centre, a long way from home park. Weatherspoons pub is the Brittania, 200 yards from the ground. It''s away friendly and the local canaries will be there at 1 o''clock. Looking forward to a more vocal support than last year. Mind you there wasn''t much to sing about.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]

That''s the plan!

[/quote]

Don''t forget a quick trip on a pleasure boat out of Newquay then it''ll be land, sea and air all in one day.......madness I tell you, madness.

On my one and only trip down there we had a 500 mile round trip on a one day drive. Got there early and found the huge ( free ) club car park to be ideal. Also had a nice pub meal in a place not too far away. Turned right out of the car park and walked uphill along the main road for about 15 mins.

Home Park itself is in a very pleasant location. Reminded me a bit of Fulham ( not the score it was 1-1). Enjoy

[quote user="gedarfmyland"]

Virgin post ere.

Kitty''s is in the city centre, a long way from home park. Weatherspoons pub is the Brittania, 200 yards from the ground. It''s away friendly and the local canaries will be there at 1 o''clock. Looking forward to a more vocal support than last year. Mind you there wasn''t much to sing about.

[/quote]The brittania, thats the one! Never even heard of kittys. the pub 15 minutes uphil mentioned above i''d imagine was the golden hind, good food in there... can''t think of any others in that direction.

[quote user="Polar"][quote user="gedarfmyland"]

Virgin post ere.

[/quote]

The brittania, thats the one! Never even heard of kittys. the pub 15 minutes uphil mentioned above i''d imagine was the golden hind, good food in there... can''t think of any others in that direction.
[/quote]

Just back from my marathon round trip to Plymouth by all forms of transport...great day out, great result ...should have been at least 5-0, met some great Canary fans from all over that dont get to as many home fixtures as they would like but certainly do their bit for these long away trips. For future reference ...If you visit the Plymouth City centre before the game, Kitty O''Hanlon''s is a great bar for the football, watched the Celtic game on Setanta and a bit of the Liverpool - Man U (two big screen TV''s going simultaneaously) before heading up to the Brittannia just a five minute bus ride away. The Brittannia was okay, definitely away fan friendly and a good mix of Canary and Argyle gathered within, but a bit dull.

I''m guessing at about 700 away fans at Home Park today and we gae a good account of ourselves, Sibierski was a favourite for the singing, understandably. We''ve taken a liking to his shiny head or so the chanting was going, accompanied by a Norwich drum.