Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

last time we spent "big"

anyone remember the last time we spent over 1 million on a player??? something tells me it was MercEARNary.. 3 million.. is this right?

this was 3 years ago almost now... the rest of the players have been cheap, Bosmans, frees,

why are we still scraping the bargain barrell hoping to come good when the solution is so bleedin obvious... we need to compete!

jas :)

Dont you dare accuse deLIAR and her mates of scraping the barrell!? We should appreciate them because after all they ''''saved'''' our club

Not G.Watling, deLIAR and her crew of liars.....

I think you are right Jas. I think (do i dare say his name, well, if i can) Strihavka would of ended up over a million based on clauses etc; but we released him so im pretty sure it wasn''t the case. Can you imagine that, a million for him? Maybe money isn''t always the answer.I think it makes sense, in this situation, to spend big on one main striker. Somehow i can''t see that happening, since i don''t think we have ''big'' to spend (:

As long as you''ve got a sensible manager who knows a good player when he sees one then generally speaking with a bit of money you''ll sign quality.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Do you really call it spending big when you sell a striker for £7million and buy one for £3million .
[/quote]

aha but remember "it has all been budgeted for", which seems to be the clubs mantra

I remember the last time we spent big. When we fetched-in that useful Flour-Mill for 2million during the Chase era. Much was expected of the lad due to his size but his age and lack of pace counted against him. He never played for the first team and was sold a few years later when he beat Rob Newman in a sprint at training , they fell out and Rob punched the Flour-Mill''s lights out. Was hushed up because Mike Walker was shagging the Flour-Mills wife and wanted him out. Perhaps he could still be the missing link to provide hugely predictable flick-on''s to Cureton or Lupoli. Anyone know where that Flour-Mill is now?

Lol Tony! sounds like what goes on now! anyone know what squad number "yellows" has been given this season? ;) :p

We are several million pounds in debt, we are losing money on a weekly basis.  Presumably the only way we are allowed to survive by the bank is that the debts are covered by guarantees by the board,or the value of our tangible assests, (no I don''t mean the players).  I know lets throw millions of pounds (from who?), on great players who are bursting to play for us (like who?).  This will guarantee success in a manner no other club can match.  Simple isn''t it!

In the real world we are no different from the majority of football clubs throughout the land.  We are forced to compete in an ever more expensive environment with no guarantee of success at any time.  we rely on the generosity of bank and board, like it or not.  The message boards of all clubs are full of the same unrealistic sentiments expressed here.  Anyone can rant without the need to justify opinions but reasoned arguments based on facts are not so easy.  No-one can be happy with our start, we all know the deficiencies and what needs doing but rubbishing the squad this early in the season is out of order.  The only thing I would say is that I am heartily sick of players apologising for their performances and promising to get it rightr next time.  Keep quiet and let your performance do the talking.

[quote user="10 Bryceland"]

We are several million pounds in debt, we are losing money on a weekly basis.  Presumably the only way we are allowed to survive by the bank is that the debts are covered by guarantees by the board,or the value of our tangible assests, (no I don''t mean the players).  I know lets throw millions of pounds (from who?), on great players who are bursting to play for us (like who?).  This will guarantee success in a manner no other club can match.  Simple isn''t it!

In the real world we are no different from the majority of football clubs throughout the land.  We are forced to compete in an ever more expensive environment with no guarantee of success at any time.  we rely on the generosity of bank and board, like it or not.  The message boards of all clubs are full of the same unrealistic sentiments expressed here.  Anyone can rant without the need to justify opinions but reasoned arguments based on facts are not so easy.  No-one can be happy with our start, we all know the deficiencies and what needs doing but rubbishing the squad this early in the season is out of order.  The only thing I would say is that I am heartily sick of players apologising for their performances and promising to get it rightr next time.  Keep quiet and let your performance do the talking.

[/quote]

Had that post been by a Burnley or Preston fan about their clubs recent history i`d have alot of time for it, but have a think about how much bonus income the club have had over recent years from sky and sale of players and how much our current squad cost in relation to that.  Then look at Burnley and Prestons squad and have a think about how they can afford to pay similar amounts to us on players without the enormous revenue we have generated in recent years and on half our gates.  Doesn`t really add up does it?

[quote]We are several million pounds in debt, we are losing money on a weekly basis.[/quote]

In the interests of balance, it will be pointed out to you by either Fat Strawb or Mr. Carrow, that the accounts have showed a profit in the last 3 years.

I agree with the rest of your sentiments though.

the money we get from season ticket sales goes straight to the bank to pay of debts we don''t see a penny of it.

also i believe the last time we spent over a million pounds was on marshall, if not the next time was on earnshaw.

[quote user="NewArthur"]

the money we get from season ticket sales goes straight to the bank to pay of debts we don''t see a penny of it.

also i believe the last time we spent over a million pounds was on marshall, if not the next time was on earnshaw.

[/quote]

So you think £7m a year in season ticket sales goes to paying off the debts?!  Good grief.....[:|]

How many players HAVE we actually signed over £1m? Polston, Roberts, Ashton, Earnie, Marshall maybe. My memory is not what it once was.

How many players have we sold for over £1m? Bellamy, Eadie, Francis, Ashton, McKenzie (just), Earnie, Greeno.

The clubs policy has always been, and will always be, to buy mediocre players for a few 100k, realise they''re crap after a season or two and then cancel their contracts and leave them free to join a League Two side before they slip into non-league obscurity (Jarret, Hughes, Robinson, Anselin, Dalglish, Mulryne, Easton, Rivers, Emblem, McGovern, Neilsen, Abbey etc). As had been said many times before, Huckerby''s £750k just scraped through from the Diss guy, Ashton''s £3.5m was funded in part by supporter shares and even Robinson''s £50k was a loan from Delia.

I''m pretty sure Marshall cost in excess of 1 million quid. As did the mighty Jon Newsome if my memory serves me correctly.

[quote user="10 Bryceland"]

[/quote]

If things were this dire financially...................then Cullum would be a one armed man right now !! Wake up, the board are lining their own pockets from this...."fiddling while rome burns scenario" too many peole are fooled by the constant retoric coming from Carrow Road

[quote user="NewArthur"]

[/quote]So by applying that logic our debts of 16 million should be paid off in three years.