Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Maybe the restaurants are a problem?

Providing cash flow but losing money?

Seriously folks, I wouldn''t be at all surprised.

It''s a very competitive and harsh environment  - the retaurant business.

OTBC 

Seriously folks, I''ve thought of something else at the club to randomly have a pop at, with no facts to back it up.

Profits in the 2007 annual report from catering activities was, I believe, something in the order of £500K.

I cannot understand why people keep popping off at the "off field" activities of the club - they ensure that the ground is not simply used during the Season for Footballing activity and during the close season for the odd rock concert (but not too late or too loud) but is a revenue generating part of the club.

I assume these detractors would prefer that the ground is simply mothballed in the close season and acts as a drain on the clubs finances?

If PC does get control I hope the wrecking ball and bulldozers are taken to the hotel first, I know it may generate some money (possibly even more than seats would according to some people) but it shows anyone thinking about coming to the club a real lack of ambition. I have no problem with them building a hotel outside the ground and calling it Hotel Carrow Road or Hotel Norwich City but to put it inside always seems a great shame to me. Not withstanding the fact that it looks absolutely terrible in design. Some buildings have character that looks like its been made out of Lego by children inside on a rainy day.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]

Seriously folks, I''ve thought of something else at the club to randomly have a pop at, with no facts to back it up.

[/quote]

Lol for the truth [Y]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]If PC does get control I hope the wrecking ball and bulldozers are taken to the hotel first, I know it may generate some money (possibly even more than seats would according to some people) but it shows anyone thinking about coming to the club a real lack of ambition. I have no problem with them building a hotel outside the ground and calling it Hotel Carrow Road or Hotel Norwich City but to put it inside always seems a great shame to me. Not withstanding the fact that it looks absolutely terrible in design. Some buildings have character that looks like its been made out of Lego by children inside on a rainy day.[/quote]

I had a look inside the place last Friday, dump one word that sprung to mind. White elephant were two more!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]If PC does get control I hope the wrecking ball and bulldozers are taken to the hotel first, I know it may generate some money (possibly even more than seats would according to some people) but it shows anyone thinking about coming to the club a real lack of ambition. I have no problem with them building a hotel outside the ground and calling it Hotel Carrow Road or Hotel Norwich City but to put it inside always seems a great shame to me. Not withstanding the fact that it looks absolutely terrible in design. Some buildings have character that looks like its been made out of Lego by children inside on a rainy day.[/quote]

I had a look inside the place last Friday, dump one word that sprung to mind. White elephant were two more!.

[/quote]

As an exiled supporter, the new hotel is a great addition to the club. There''s nothing better on a Sunday morning to wake up after a good win and a night out in the fine City than a view of the pitch. It''s certainly better than the bus station view from the Travelodge!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

No Wiz, there are no elephants in there, you must have been looking at

the map wrong... its down by the new flats on Geoffrey Watling Way and

resembles Dumbo...[:P]

How could they provide cash if they are losing money?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Providing cash flow but losing money?

It''s a very competitive and harsh environment  - the retaurant business.

OTBC 

[/quote]

Maybe boredom is a problem ?

All the time in the world but no purpose ?

It''s a very boring existence - when you''re obsessed with the downfall of others...

Totally agree - let''s get rid of the restaurants, shirt sales, pasties, programmes, golden goals - in fact anything that helps to bring revenue into the club.  Then we can sell a player every so often to make up the shortfall, pay lower wages so that players won''t come and all have even more to bloody moan about. 

[quote user="Canary Nut"][quote user="sxcanaree"]

Profits in the 2007 annual report from catering activities was, I believe, something in the order of £500K.

[/quote]

Of the approx. £500k, how much came from matchday bar takings ?   

[/quote]

The £500K was actually £600K on a turnover of £3m - 20% profit. There is no further breakdown however after grants from the FA and league contributions, and Season Ticket sales it was the third highest revenue generator for the club.

Catering accounted for 20% of the net profit in 2006 and for 2007 the small profit would have been a substantial loss.

Still want to close them down?

[quote user="Dicky"]Totally agree - let''s get rid of the restaurants, shirt sales, pasties, programmes, golden goals - in fact anything that helps to bring revenue into the club.  Then we can sell a player every so often to make up the shortfall, pay lower wages so that players won''t come and all have even more to bloody moan about. [/quote]

Your last sentence is exactly what the club have been doing in recent years.  In `02 the club made a tidy profit with no player sales, in the last financial year the club just squeezed a profit with the added benefit of a £7.1m parachute payment, a big profit in the transfer market and player wages being well below (as a percentage of turnover) what they were in `02.  Ever asked yourself why?

[quote user="sxcanaree"][quote user="Canary Nut"][quote user="sxcanaree"]

[/quote]

Of the approx. £500k, how much came from matchday bar takings ?   

[/quote]

The £500K was actually £600K on a turnover of £3m - 20% profit. There is no further breakdown however after grants from the FA and league contributions, and Season Ticket sales it was the third highest revenue generator for the club.

Catering accounted for 20% of the net profit in 2006 and for 2007 the small profit would have been a substantial loss.

Still want to close them down?

[/quote]

The way things are going, they might have to.

Incidentally, do you use the restaurant''s in the stadium?

Not being local my matchdays are crammed with two hours of travel to Norwich, an hour of non football family business, a swift pint, watch the match, spend thirty minutes trying to get back out of the city and then a two hour drive home - as a consequence my Gunn Club membership has been pretty redundant for the past couple of seasons.

But I have colleagues who are not city fans who have visited Norwich and specifically pre-booked meals in a restaurant at Carrow Road because of the Delia branding.

A surplus of income over direct expenses does not necessarily = profit at the bottom line.

The accountants can explain it best.

I repeat - maybe the restaurants are a concern.

What would happen to them if Delia sold out completely, for example.

They would probably only remain viable (profitable?) as long as Delia is still part-owner - or at least a ''figurehead''.

OTBC

A surplus of income over direct expenses does not necessarily = profit at the bottom line.

They would probably only remain viable (profitable?) as long as Delia is still part-owner - or at least a ''figurehead''.

OTBC

[/quote]

Not meaning to be picky, but you''re not really repeating as you''ve changed the word "problem" to "concern".

OTBC

[/quote]

But if they are declared as a profit in the report and accounts then they are profitable. If you are making money by doing something then why would you close it down?

This thread is a clear example of the number of idiotic posters that have assembled on this board - full of self interest and complete ignorance. - Even when they launch a wild speculation such as this and are presented with the facts which are there for all to see they answer "perhaps the facts are actually wrong"

Regarding the restaurant question, how much do you think it would have cost Delia to purchase the required amount of (prime river frontage) land and build a restuarant from scratch?. I am all for the off field activities doing well but is there actually any tangible evidence that this profit has been use to strengthen the team?.

[quote user="sxcanaree"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

But if they are declared as a profit in the report and accounts then they are profitable. If you are making money by doing something then why would you close it down?

This thread is a clear example of the number of idiotic posters that have assembled on this board - full of self interest and complete ignorance. - Even when they launch a wild speculation such as this and are presented with the facts which are there for all to see they answer "perhaps the facts are actually wrong"

[/quote]

Dear oh dear oh dear. You apparently believe that a surplus of income over direct expenditure necessarily = a profit". Dear oh dear oh dear. Grow up and stop getting your knickers in a twist.

Next thing you''ll be telling us all that there is adequate focus on the core business at Carrow Road. Football. Remember?

OTBC