Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

This is not a simple matter of Delia accepting the 'offer'.

I can''t help thinking that the majority of people''s reaction is very ill-considered and a little childish.  It is not possible for Delia and MWJ to simply accept Cullum''s "offer".  He cannot become majority shareholder without making an offer for the entire club.  If he has made an offer then what is it?  Should Delia, MWJ and the Turners all just sell up their interest in the club without any return on their investment.  What are his long-term plans?  His interview indicates that he doesn''t want to put more money in once he has made the initial investment.   Who does he want to install on the board?  It isn''t just a case of saying thank you very much Peter and GR having piles of cash for transfers a few days later.

People seem to have very short memories.  Delia and MWJ saved this club from folding and now the prevailing attitude is that she should be run out of town.  I, like any City fan, would like to see GR with £20m in his pocket but it isn''t nearly that simple.

[quote user="Balham Yellow"]

People seem to have very short memories.  Delia and MWJ saved this club from folding [/quote]

no they didnt....

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Balham Yellow"]

People seem to have very short memories.  Delia and MWJ saved this club from folding [/quote]

no they didnt....

[/quote]And even if they did they''ve now taken us to a lower level than when they took over, me thinks it''s time for a change.

Very few people want her or MWJ to be "run out of town" but I think what we would want to know is that every possible effort is being made to try and find a way to get this man on the board whether that be them selling some of their shareholding to him or the issue of fresh share capital or whatever. thats all i askl - that they sit down, explore all the options and do everything they can.

What concerns me is that he seems to suggest that they have not been in touch with him for 6 months whilst at the same time claiming that they have been doing everything they can to attract new investement to the club. Those two statements do not stack up.

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"]yes they did. The only option was the fairground fella from yarmouth who wanted to sell the ground then lease it back...... remember?
[/quote]

No Geoffrey Watling saved the club... he had Chases shares.. he could of held onto them until the day he died if he wanted, the smiths didnt have to buy.. the club were already safe.

There was also aldo Spinellie not just jimmy jones

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Very few people want her or MWJ to be "run out of town" but I think what we would want to know is that every possible effort is being made to try and find a way to get this man on the board whether that be them selling some of their shareholding to him or the issue of fresh share capital or whatever. thats all i askl - that they sit down, explore all the options and do everything they can.

What concerns me is that he seems to suggest that they have not been in touch with him for 6 months whilst at the same time claiming that they have been doing everything they can to attract new investement to the club. Those two statements do not stack up.

[/quote]

Ummmmmm this is interesting because Delia was hinting of "investment" at the Royal show. As they have not been in touch with St Peter, she could not have meant him. Could there be someone else in the wings?

I can''t help thinking that the majority of people''s reaction is very ill-considered and a little childish. Ho hum naughty us. It is not possible for Delia and MWJ to simply accept Cullum''s "offer". Yes it is. He cannot become majority shareholder without making an offer for the entire club. Yes he can. If he has made an offer then what is it? Private Should Delia, MWJ and the Turners all just sell up their interest in the club without any return on their investment.  Turners will be able to get their £2m back if they want it Delia and MWJ could be looking at a tidy profit I''m sure there''s no mention of losing out involved What are his long-term plans? Better than the current Boards plan to invest to the minimum and simply hope we climb out before we drop out this division. His interview indicates that he doesn''t want to put more money in once he has made the initial investment. No it doesn''t Who does he want to install on the board? A fans representative for starters the rest is speculation. It isn''t just a case of saying thank you very much Peter and GR having piles of cash for transfers a few days later. Would be if the shareholders actually wanted investment

People seem to have very short memories.  Delia and MWJ saved this club from folding and now the prevailing attitude is that she should be run out of town. No they didn''t I, like any City fan, would like to see GR with £20m in his pocket but it isn''t nearly that simple. No it''s not simple theres a stubborn woman in the way.

To be honest i think there may be some other modest investment but in many ways i hope not as I don''t think they will be on a par with PC in terms of what they can potentially offer the club. Despite what he says about not pouring endless money into the club like abramovich once he retires he will be worth an absolute fortune and if he is the owner of our club i think he would find it very hard not to get sucked in to providing more funds if we needed them.

In many ways some minor investor coming along with a couple of million at this moment in time may be counterproductive in the long run.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

To be honest i think there may be some other modest investment but in many ways i hope not as I don''t think they will be on a par with PC in terms of what they can potentially offer the club. Despite what he says about not pouring endless money into the club like abramovich once he retires he will be worth an absolute fortune and if he is the owner of our club i think he would find it very hard not to get sucked in to providing more funds if we needed them.

[/quote]

The point about not comparing himself with Abramovitch is that the Russian is unique, and Chelsea is unique.  Chelsea does not even try to run itself like a business.  In 2007 they made a loss approaching £200 million, but Abramovitch just wrote it off and made it up from his own money.  No other club - not even Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool - is run in that way.  Their primary aim is not profit, because that''s not what football is for (as PC has rightly pointed out) but they do at least attempt to break even. 

fwiw I think all he''s saying is that the club needn''t think it can make huge losses in pursuit of success and then expect him to bail it out.

Oh jesus - the did they, didnt they argument rises once more and no one gets it right!In the first instance, as in at the point of possibly administration, they did not "save us" as others have suggested surviving board members of the Chase era made amends and did so. However what they did was to save us then but it has been pretty widely publicised by members of the board at that time, that had the current TWO majority shareholders not taken up the offer the club may well have faced long term financial difficulty.So its a bit like the offside rule - in phase one they were offside (not saviours) but in phase two they become onside and you can not deny that their input to this club during that time has not been great.As for the last season being their worse - in some ways that is more than a little unfair. They gave Grant as much money as they did Worthy the season we went up and yet where did we get to? People could argue that Grant was their appointment and a flop but then that takes into account his results after the money was spent, if you look at the point when he took over he more or less mirrord what Worthington achieved after taking over from Hamilton and we all know what Worthington was able to do.So yes worse season since they bought in but whether or not it was their fault is another argument altogether.What is clear is that new investment is required and it seems that Mr Cullum is starting to use other means now to get the attention of the board and I think the words of caution should be listened to. Is he being ignored or is there another investor already in talks who has been chosen over him? Is he saying to us different to what he has put down on the table as to apply more pressure to the board through the fans or is it really as straight forward as it reads - offer on table and for some reason they are not comfortable with it (personal reasons or other).

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Both sides are playing games. Peter Cullum''s interview with the EDP was designed to put pressure on the board. Cullum would first have to meet Delia''s valuation of her shares, and it''s easier to do that with some clamouring public support. The whole amicable nature of this suggests that some kind of deal will be done, with both sides jostling to get the best terms. The issue isn''t about investment, it''s about control. The odd thing is that he wants control but doesn''t want to be heavily involved in the day to day running of the club. Who the heck would run it then?

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Both sides are playing games. Peter Cullum''s interview with the EDP was designed to put pressure on the board. Cullum would first have to meet Delia''s valuation of her shares, and it''s easier to do that with some clamouring public support. The whole amicable nature of this suggests that some kind of deal will be done, with both sides jostling to get the best terms.

The issue isn''t about investment, it''s about control. The odd thing is that he wants control but doesn''t want to be heavily involved in the day to day running of the club. Who the heck would run it then?
[/quote]

To answer your last question probably a couple of people parachuted in from one of his companies who (hopefully) know something about football.  Or not, as the case may be.

its basically delia and co not wanting to lose power at the club.Im afraid that whoever wanted to invest in this club it would not be good enough for them and they would always find some problem.yes they were there when we needed help but they must not be made into martyrs.For this club to move forward it needs investment,simple as that.football is football,a business with no room for sentiment im afraid.

I agree with Icecream Snow, we are being ''played'' a little bit by Peter Cullum to drive down Delia''s valuation of the club, why choose now to go public?  Because we appear to be scratching around for player transfers, timimg is everything in brokering the deal.

Does anybody know whether the £20m that is being offered by Peter Cullum as part of this deal a loan to the club that may need to be repaid if he were to leave the board in the future? i.e. like the £4m loan that is owed to the current board by the club.

[quote user="south of the border"]

I agree with Icecream Snow, we are being ''played'' a little bit by Peter Cullum to drive down Delia''s valuation of the club, why choose now to go public?  Because we appear to be scratching around for player transfers, timimg is everything in brokering the deal.

Does anybody know whether the £20m that is being offered by Peter Cullum as part of this deal a loan to the club that may need to be repaid if he were to leave the board in the future? i.e. like the £4m loan that is owed to the current board by the club.

[/quote]

No idea - and personally it is why I need to hear more detail from Peter Cullum regarding his plans before lending him my support.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Balham Yellow"]

no they didnt....

[/quote]And even if they did they''ve now taken us to a lower level than when they took over, me thinks it''s time for a change.[/quote]

if we didn''t have them here putting money in over the last few years we wouldn''t even have a club to get depressed about in the first place. People seem to have this idea the club just runs itself... it''s crazy... people also think Delia should just accept it for the fans? what write off a good few million?? come on...