Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Does watching the Euros make you want to slap Steve mclaren?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Disagree. We are better than the Swiss, Turkey, Austria, the czechs look crap, Poland, greece, Swedes, Russia,

[/quote]Spot the deliberate mistake? [;)]

Before the tournament began I thought that I would feel like slapping Mclaren but I couldn''t care less now. I''ve really enjoyed watching the games so far and it makes a refreshing change to do so without....

The ridiculous hype that surrounds a very mediocre England team

The press focus on patchetic ''wags'' lording it up

Enduring ''analysis and opinion'' upon England performances from those who last watched football ''down the pub when England played in the last World Cup''  

All that pathetic England merchandise adorning the cars and bodies of the England faithfull

Watching turgid England games - it''s generally a depressing experience, especially having seen the free-flowing football on offer from other nations

If the coming games follow suit just sit back enjoy and appreciate some quality, entertaining football matches.

I almost feel like thanking Steve Mclaren now.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Disagree. We are better than the Swiss, Turkey, Austria, the czechs look crap, Poland, greece, Swedes, Russia,

[/quote]

Spot the deliberate mistake? [;)]
[/quote]

Not a mistake, we are better than Russia. yes i know they qualified ahead of us but without the donut in charge anymore I feel we are better. Another attempt to pick holes in my threads. Havent you anything better to do than stalk me? Do you honestly think Russia are a better side than England?

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Give Mclaren the Ipswich job and i couldnt hate him more.[/quote]

If you don''t like Steve Mclaren just ignore him.

[/quote]

Its a bit hard when hes a pundit on the bloody euros!

[/quote]

Its easy, just turn off the radio.

[/quote]

What and not listen to anything?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Give Mclaren the Ipswich job and i couldnt hate him more.[/quote]

If you don''t like Steve Mclaren just ignore him.

[/quote]

Its a bit hard when hes a pundit on the bloody euros!

[/quote]

Its easy, just turn off the radio.

[/quote]

What and not listen to anything?

[/quote]

OK, try putting TV on and turning the brightness down.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Not a mistake, we are better than Russia. yes i know they qualified ahead of us but without the donut in charge anymore I feel we are better. Another attempt to pick holes in my threads. Havent you anything better to do than stalk me? Do you honestly think Russia are a better side than England?

[/quote]I honestly don''t think there''s a huge difference between the two sides. The one thing do think is that Russia are a team heading in the right direction, why do you think Hiddink turned down Chelsea. He''s been quoted as saying that although he thinks that this tournament has maybe come to soon for them they will be a force come the World Cup in 2010. I honestly can''t say the same for us as it seems to me that our one hope of creating chances against the top teams is to rely on a man who is playing in the equivalent of the Norwich Business Houses League!You keep mentioning me stalking you Arthur, are you hoping that if you say it often enough it will come true? [:P] You dirty old man [:D]

[quote user="Stone"]

Before the tournament began I thought that I would feel like slapping Mclaren but I couldn''t care less now. I''ve really enjoyed watching the games so far and it makes a refreshing change to do so without....

The ridiculous hype that surrounds a very mediocre England team

The press focus on patchetic ''wags'' lording it up

Enduring ''analysis and opinion'' upon England performances from those who last watched football ''down the pub when England played in the last World Cup''  

All that pathetic England merchandise adorning the cars and bodies of the England faithfull

Watching turgid England games - it''s generally a depressing experience, especially having seen the free-flowing football on offer from other nations

If the coming games follow suit just sit back enjoy and appreciate some quality, entertaining football matches.

I almost feel like thanking Steve Mclaren now.

[/quote]

I agree. I have watched the matches and not having the preasure is nice. I think missing the Euros will benefit us in the long term.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

I honestly don''t think there''s a huge difference between the two sides. The one thing do think is that Russia are a team heading in the right direction, why do you think Hiddink turned down Chelsea. He''s been quoted as saying that although he thinks that this tournament has maybe come to soon for them they will be a force come the World Cup in 2010. I honestly can''t say the same for us as it seems to me that our one hope of creating chances against the top teams is to rely on a man who is playing in the equivalent of the Norwich Business Houses League!

You keep mentioning me stalking you Arthur, are you hoping that if you say it often enough it will come true? [:P] You dirty old man [:D]
[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from, my point is though for example Romania qualified ahead of Holland in the qualifying stages yet finished below them in the actualy tournemount. Point taken though, the stalking is a little joke mate, no offence.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

I honestly don''t think there''s a huge difference between the two sides. The one thing do think is that Russia are a team heading in the right direction, why do you think Hiddink turned down Chelsea. He''s been quoted as saying that although he thinks that this tournament has maybe come to soon for them they will be a force come the World Cup in 2010. I honestly can''t say the same for us as it seems to me that our one hope of creating chances against the top teams is to rely on a man who is playing in the equivalent of the Norwich Business Houses League!

You keep mentioning me stalking you Arthur, are you hoping that if you say it often enough it will come true? [:P] You dirty old man [:D]
[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from, my point is though for example Romania qualified ahead of Holland in the qualifying stages yet finished below them in the actualy tournemount. Point taken though, the stalking is a little joke mate, no offence.

[/quote]

I see what you mean Arthur. I''d hate for you to think that I rated McLaren in any way as the bloke was an idiot but I don''t think it was all his fault. I think we''ll see a gradual improvement under Capello, probably back to the level we were under Sven, but as I said I think the Russians will improve to.

Romania were a bit unlucky not to get through I thought. Holland were clearly the best team in that group but were in not for Buffons fantastic penalty save the Romanians would be joining them.

I know the stalking bit is a joke Arthur that''s why I always reply with plenty of smilies [:D]

Right that was far too cordial for my liking, I demand that you call me a self loathing lefty liberal immediately............you know I love it [;)]

I have to say that judging by the Euros England would have one of the best defences if they had been managed well and got there. I can''t see a defence as reliable as an inform Rio, Terry, Woodgate etc.However Englands biggest problem is our nation. People love to see a star fall to the gutter and when McClaren axed Beckham there were a lot of happy people saying that this is what should have been done before. I disagreed then and I will still argue that now.There are a few maybe''s around our squad at the moment. Lampard - he is not the driving player that Gerrard is but he can score more often when playing the formation Chelsea do which allows him more freedom. Gerrard can play a multidude of positions and is tactically far more flexible, at international level you need Gerrard more urgently than Lampard.Joe Cole - the bigest enigma since those clever chaps broke the code on the Germans communication device in WWII. I think he is wildly overated, he doesn''t track back, he isn''t really a striker and his best days seemed to have bin with West Ham when he played in midfield, defenitely NOT the answer to the left sided problem.Depth - people say that England haven''t got quality in depth, I would argue that we have but that people don''t know much about the players. Ashton, Abonlahor, Young - three players rubber stamped with quality. Arron Lennon is not the finnished article but is still incredibly young, Shaun WP is also a good player when given enough games in a season to build some form.My biggest problem is that it doesn''t matter about the players we have anymore. The next tournament is in two years. Lampard will be 32, Beckham 34, Rio 32, Gerrard 29, James (is it not bad enough he has become England No. 1?). What we are looking for now is youth because you can not rely on any player to still be worthy of an England place in two years, especially if they are past the credited age that they peak at.My personal opinion is that Copello will ear-mark a couple of the senior pros that we have in the set up now and keep them in the squad even if it is as an option or as part of building team spirit. Beckham for example visably lifts the team. They know he has that something special to make something happen. Could you say that of Lampard?

Does it make it any better that both Croatia and Russia got through to the quarters? Not for me, but both sides look far more passionate, quicker, more skilful and more likely to in than we would have.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I see what you mean Arthur. I''d hate for you to think that I rated McLaren in any way as the bloke was an idiot but I don''t think it was all his fault. I think we''ll see a gradual improvement under Capello, probably back to the level we were under Sven, but as I said I think the Russians will improve to.

Romania were a bit unlucky not to get through I thought. Holland were clearly the best team in that group but were in not for Buffons fantastic penalty save the Romanians would be joining them.

I know the stalking bit is a joke Arthur that''s why I always reply with plenty of smilies [:D]

Right that was far too cordial for my liking, I demand that you call me a self loathing lefty liberal immediately............you know I love it [;)]

[/quote]

Self loathing lefty liberal! wink wink!

I''m not surprised Blackburn fans dont want McLaren as a manager, at the moment I would say he is pretty unemployable when it comes to reputation with fans.

Seeing Russia sweep Sweden aside has frustrated me.  They were not much better than us, at Wembley we were far the better side and in Russia they were better.  We would have been able to make an impact at these Championships if we had qualified, but I wouldnt have looked much further than the quarters still.

I agree that defence wise there wouldnt have been many tighter than England, a lot of defences I have seen have been shocking.

It''s pretty simple. With our resources, population and league, we should qualify for every major tournament. I have no idea why it isn''t in every England manager''s contract as a minimum performance target. McClaren should have been sacked without compensation for finishing below Russia in that group.But if you expect us to be regularly winning international tournaments then you are ignoring the the history of 100 years of international football. Sven''s quarter-final record was pretty respectable. With a bit more luck we would have reached one semi-final and two quarters, which is about right.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]It''s pretty simple. With our resources, population and league, we should qualify for every major tournament. I have no idea why it isn''t in every England manager''s contract as a minimum performance target. McClaren should have been sacked without compensation for finishing below Russia in that group.

But if you expect us to be regularly winning international tournaments then you are ignoring the the history of 100 years of international football. Sven''s quarter-final record was pretty respectable. With a bit more luck we would have reached one semi-final and two quarters, which is about right.
[/quote]

I agree on both counts. Firstly a new manager should be given a 2 yaer rolling contract because not qualifying is unacceptable. On the other side i agree that we shouldnt expect to win tournemounts but we should expect to be there challenging.

I can''t agree with this, what an absolute load of balls [A][8o|]

Only kidding [;)]

The two year rolling contract is a good idea. Despite our obvious limitations we should really be capable of qualifying for every major tournament. If we don''t qualify you''re out, no compensation as it''s written in the contract.

It''s difficult to say how we would have fared if we had have qualified this time as we don''t know what group we would have ended up in. I don''t think it necessarily follows that we would have replaced Russia in Group D because of the arcane nature of the seeding system. What I will say though is that of the teams who have impressed so far, Holland, Portugal, Spain and Croatia have been the pick of the bunch for me, all seem to be very comfortable on the ball and have the ability to break quickly out of defence with one touch football. They''re not characteristics I associate with the England team so maybe we would have struggled.

On a separate note the Russians really impressed me last night, although it''s debateable how much of that was to do with how bad Sweden are. Their passing was so slick and their movement absolutely top class. I think they''ll give the Dutch a real game in the QF and it could be a fantastic match. They are steadily improving as the tournament goes on, their best player has had a nice rest for the first two games and they are creating so many chances. Pavluchenko (sp?) should have about six in the tournament already! Possible dark horses, as predicted by some astute football watchers at the start of the tournament [;)] The same astute chap also predicted Holland would struggle but we''ll keep quiet about that [:-*]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I can''t agree with this, what an absolute load of balls [A][8o|]

Only kidding [;)]

The two year rolling contract is a good idea. Despite our obvious limitations we should really be capable of qualifying for every major tournament. If we don''t qualify you''re out, no compensation as it''s written in the contract.

It''s difficult to say how we would have fared if we had have qualified this time as we don''t know what group we would have ended up in. I don''t think it necessarily follows that we would have replaced Russia in Group D because of the arcane nature of the seeding system. What I will say though is that of the teams who have impressed so far, Holland, Portugal, Spain and Croatia have been the pick of the bunch for me, all seem to be very comfortable on the ball and have the ability to break quickly out of defence with one touch football. They''re not characteristics I associate with the England team so maybe we would have struggled.

On a separate note the Russians really impressed me last night, although it''s debateable how much of that was to do with how bad Sweden are. Their passing was so slick and their movement absolutely top class. I think they''ll give the Dutch a real game in the QF and it could be a fantastic match. They are steadily improving as the tournament goes on, their best player has had a nice rest for the first two games and they are creating so many chances. Pavluchenko (sp?) should have about six in the tournament already! Possible dark horses, as predicted by some astute football watchers at the start of the tournament [;)] The same astute chap also predicted Holland would struggle but we''ll keep quiet about that [:-*]

[/quote]

Weve got to stop agreeing here shack this is getting too friendly. The Russians did look a good side last night but the swedes time wasting long ball crap deserved nothing less than defeat.

[quote user="LORD FOXY LOWE"]no. I''m glad we''re not there. We''d be knocked out by now and it would all have been a big embarrassment.
[/quote]

More embarresing than not qualifying???

We didn''t make the euro''s because the players were crap and we can''t play as a team.

Mclaren was partly to blame but not totally IMHO

[quote user="rudenotto69"]

We didn''t make the euro''s because the players were crap and we can''t play as a team.

Mclaren was partly to blame but not totally IMHO

[/quote]

Nice to see someone getting back on topic. Mclaren was in charge of picking the team, tactics, motivating etc, so I do blame him.

I always want to slap Steve McClaren

The fact that watching the Euros would give me an excuse makes little difference

[quote user="The Bucketman"]

I always want to slap Steve McClaren

The fact that watching the Euros would give me an excuse makes little difference

[/quote]

LOL