Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Concerned and surprised but not yet resigned.

I must admit I am concerned that we haven’t yet signed any players. I understand the window is only just open but I would have expected that to be the green light to tie up deals that have been negotiated prior.Some on here will immediately castigate me for not giving enough time but who can honestly say hand on heart that the are not just a little concerned that we are being out bid out negotiated and out muscled by not only other championship teams but teams with far less standing within English football, teams with far fewer and less adequate facilities and with fan bases half our size.I am surprised that the club has failed since our wholesale clear out to find one player willing to make Carrow Road his home yet. Are we even competitive with our valuations, offers and wages.  I am gob smacked that the only tangible news coming from our club is the signing of a “Kit Manager”. What earthly good is that news to a football fan. And would it even make the news on the web sites of other clubs.I have to hope that our Manager knows what he is doing and what he has done. Without stirring up old news his release of our favourite son whilst we stand on the edge of a giant and possibly un-fillable abyss was to most beyond explanation. He will be replaced by somebody better. Who, how and when. As long as he is the decision will be vindicated. But can it or will it be done. The club has nobody better so only fresh blood will do that job. Maybe Hoolahan is to be the man but with every day that passes without his signing being announced the likelihood seems less. One thing is for sure if we only spend in the region and in the nature that we have over the last two closed seasons we will be under immense pressure. Our survival last season was down to juts over performance and some big slices of luck. With out quality replacements for the mostly dross we have let go our time in this league will be over. I am not yet resigned to these fates. I still have to believe that the club it’s directors and owners will see that we have to act or risk never being in a position to do so again. We all wait for the rabbits to come out of the hat and the aces to be pulled from the sleeves. When will that happen. Or should I say will that happen.

We have this every year. When have we ever signed a bunch of players by the first week in June? Although a lot of last summer''s signings turned out to be dross, we did bring in a fair number of players. Also, if we sign a player now, we''re effectively paying him to be on holiday for a month. Surely that would be a waste of our valuable and limited resources, no? Four weeks'' wages for six new players at an average of, say, £4k per week – I make that nearly a hundred grand. Just a thought.

[quote user="Coelho"]We have this every year. When have we ever signed a bunch of players by the first week in June? Although a lot of last summer''s signings turned out to be dross, we did bring in a fair number of players. Also, if we sign a player now, we''re effectively paying him to be on holiday for a month. Surely that would be a waste of our valuable and limited resources, no? Four weeks'' wages for six new players at an average of, say, £4k per week – I make that nearly a hundred grand. Just a thought.
[/quote]

Prioritise saving a hundred grand against the likelihood of the players being signed by someone else.  Only our club would do that. 

[quote user="Steelsilver"]I''m almost resigned to wondering how much City will charge for a season ticket in the the lower division.[/quote]

I wonder if your other names wizard

[quote user="bloodwagon"]

[quote user="Steelsilver"]I''m almost resigned to wondering how much City will charge for a season ticket in the the lower division.[/quote]

[/quote]

At least Steelsilver has a small grip on, reality, whereas you my friend...........................[:S]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="bloodwagon"]

[/quote]

At least Steelsilver has a small grip on, reality, whereas you my friend...........................[:S]

[/quote]25,000 happy people full of expectancy crowding into Carrow Road on the opening day of the new season is the reality wiz,  not doddery old gits like you and me whinging on a message board !

It''s only a game and it''s meant to be enjoyed ! [<:o)]  [B]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]
I have to hope that our Manager knows what he is doing and what he has done. Without stirring up old news his release of our favourite son whilst we stand on the edge of a giant and possibly un-fillable abyss was to most beyond explanation. He will be replaced by somebody better. Who, how and when.

[/quote]

I fear Huckerby has already been replaced with a certain Mr Eagle.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I have to hope that our Manager knows what he is doing and what he has done. Without stirring up old news his release of our favourite son whilst we stand on the edge of a giant and possibly un-fillable abyss was to most beyond explanation. He will be replaced by somebody better. Who, how and when.

[/quote]

[/quote][:|]

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

I have to hope that our Manager knows what he is doing and what he has done. Without stirring up old news his release of our favourite son whilst we stand on the edge of a giant and possibly un-fillable abyss was to most beyond explanation. He will be replaced by somebody better. Who, how and when.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Robert Eagle has been working very hard to bulk up and get his fitness levels up this pre season...

hope he gets a run in the team, apart from a lack of pace he isnt a bad player, not a winger but put him behind the front 2 and he will do well!

jas :)

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="bloodwagon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]25,000 happy people full of expectancy crowding into Carrow Road on the opening day of the new season is the reality wiz,  not doddery old gits like you and me whinging on a message board !

It''s only a game and it''s meant to be enjoyed ! [<:o)]  [B]

[/quote]This is the truth. It is only a game. And like all game when you participate as we do by watching it is always more enjoyable when you are winning. However we can enjoy other aspects of being football fan, banter, speculation and hope. It isn''t my way to be blinkered, to praise all things yellow and green without question but similarly I can see no use in constant criticism, constant pessimism and only offering a negative perspective. I leave that to the likes of Wiz. He will call me a fool and a sheep. I call him a man who has lost hope and therefore a reason to "support" Norwich city. A concept and idea I don''t expect him to understand.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Robert Eagle has been working very hard to bulk up and get his fitness levels up this pre season...

hope he gets a run in the team, apart from a lack of pace he isnt a bad player, not a winger but put him behind the front 2 and he will do well!

jas :)

[/quote]

Really can''t see it myself. Whenever I''ve seen him play for the reserves or even his glimpses in his first team he doesn''t look like he''s got enough to his game.

Good luck to the lad though if he''s getting his head down and working hard.

[quote user="Coelho"]We have this every year. When have we ever signed a bunch of players by the first week in June? Although a lot of last summer''s signings turned out to be dross, we did bring in a fair number of players. Also, if we sign a player now, we''re effectively paying him to be on holiday for a month. Surely that would be a waste of our valuable and limited resources, no? Four weeks'' wages for six new players at an average of, say, £4k per week – I make that nearly a hundred grand. Just a thought.[/quote]In theory you are correct.  Signing players later can save a club a lot of money.  However that is a very "old school" view and the transfer market as changed beyond recognition in the last 5 seasons.It makes huge sense to wait until pre-season is just about to start to sign players and save some cash but because of the windows there just isn''t the safety net of being able to buy all the way to March anymore.  With more and more clubs being prepared to "blink first" in the summer  and agree transfers quicker than before, City can not afford to wait around a few weeks to seal deals if other clubs are getting on with it.Of course there is no need to panic and I am sure Roeder is confident that he has it all in hand but that doesn''t mean a little urgency early on will do any harm.

As always, imo the time to be getting concerned is when players that we want/are after start going elsewhere.  So far this hasn''t happened - indeed, few people have gone anywhere.  Ok, there were a couple of  tenuous links with Earnie and the guy from Plymouth but I''m not convinced we were ever in for either.

It would be fantastic to get everything in place as soon as possible - clearly we need a lot of players to come in and we want them for pre-season training, but that is still 4 weeks away so there is still plenty of time.  If we are still in the same position come early July, then we will all be worried!! 

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

As always, imo the time to be getting concerned is when players that we want/are after start going elsewhere.  So far this hasn''t happened - indeed, few people have gone anywhere.  Ok, there were a couple of  tenuous links with Earnie and the guy from Plymouth but I''m not convinced we were ever in for either.

It would be fantastic to get everything in place as soon as possible - clearly we need a lot of players to come in and we want them for pre-season training, but that is still 4 weeks away so there is still plenty of time.  If we are still in the same position come early July, then we will all be worried!! 

[/quote]

As GR said, we have not missed out on any of our targets.

...and of course he couldn''t possibly be frugal with the truth, could he.  I''m not necessarily suggesting we have missed out on anyone - I don''t think there has been anyone yet move who we would have been after - but just think what outcry would have been on here had he admitted that we had already missed out on a couple....

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Personally speaking, the fact that it HAS happened season after season means that it''s now down to the club to prove that something has changed and things will be different this time.  Doomcaster''s words of wisdom at the weekend gave me no confidence whatsoever.