Sign in to follow this  
Messiah

Etiquette on the forum now it's unmoderated

Sad to see it going downhill so fast.An asterisk to omit one vowel from a profane word now stops me allowing my son to read these forums as he wants to know what they all mean. At 8 years old, he shouldn''t be reading that sort of thing.No, I''m not a victorian dad with unrealistic values. I just feel that you''re letting yourselves (and our kids) down by not attempting to be more articulate when you post a passionate reply.Throw as many insults as you like at this post. For those who want to swear though, I challenge you to think of something a little higher than gutter-language.[:|]

I completely agree. I swear like a trooper in real life, but am conscious of who is around me at the time. Posters on here should also be consciously aware of people who are ''around them''.

[quote user="Messiah"]Sad to see it going downhill so fast.

An asterisk to omit one vowel from a profane word now stops me allowing my son to read these forums as he wants to know what they all mean. At 8 years old, he shouldn''t be reading that sort of thing.

No, I''m not a victorian dad with unrealistic values. I just feel that you''re letting yourselves (and our kids) down by not attempting to be more articulate when you post a passionate reply.

Throw as many insults as you like at this post. For those who want to swear though, I challenge you to think of something a little higher than gutter-language.[:|]
[/quote]

A Very Good Call ! [Y]

I wholeheartedly agree, old chap. But unfortunately it''s normal everyday language for some of the youth of today. Schools are on holiday and, we are after all football fans, so I think campaigning for good etiquette will be a losing battle. I have been taking my son to Carrow Rd for several years, and he has grown up hearing all the abusive language in the Barclay. I explained to him, what you hear in the football ground, stays in the football ground, which has no problem understanding.

Given the choice of every post being moderated before displayed, or an instant post but with ''user'' moderation, the latter is definitely the better option.

An asterisk to omit one vowel from a profane word now stops me allowing my son to read these forums as he wants to know what they all mean. At 8 years old, he shouldn''t be reading that sort of thing.

No, I''m not a victorian dad with unrealistic values. I just feel that you''re letting yourselves (and our kids) down by not attempting to be more articulate when you post a passionate reply.

Throw as many insults as you like at this post. For those who want to swear though, I challenge you to think of something a little higher than gutter-language.[:|]
[/quote]

haha !  Glad to see the avatar''s changed M. Kinda undermining the authority/credibility of the valid point you made...pot,kettle and all that

Nice reply Big Dave.While I agree at a football match the verbal response can be a bit more "immediate", a posted reply can be planned, no less passionate, but with a self-moderation that spur of the moment verbal replies cannot.It''s quite simply up to the poster to think before clicking the send-button.

You''re right bud.That''s why I removed it. Although, you may know it''s inference, I think young-uns don''t even realise.I do take you point wholeheartedly though.[:$]

My son uses a lot of online gaming sites where the typical age range is from 10 to 25. To protect the younger users the online chatbox has a no-nonsense swear filter. Only thing is that a lot of everyday words containing the more unusual swear words can get nuked by it as well. For example, one of the teams that got relegated from the Championship this season would contain four asterix, leading to maybe more questions from junior....

I have not seen a really bad swear word on this Forum but a lot of thinly disguised innuendo, not clever enough to bypass the younger members. And I don''t really think it''s all the teenagers on this Forum that are causing all the trouble, there are a lot of older retards on here as well.

What is the minimum age to sign-up for this forum?

[/quote]

NCFC board are enough to make a nun swear. On a more serious note, as another poster has said you cannot attend a football match without hearing a fair old amount of swearing, for me the instant posts are way better than the previous system.

[/quote]

Well said, Messiah. There is no need to swear or be abusive on this or any other message board. Sadly a lot of people find it necessary to do so. There is nothing big or clever about the use of expletives, though unfortunately some people think it is big and clever. I have to say, however, the old moderated board allowed too much abuse and swearing to go through. I was often surprised by some of the stuff the moderators approved for all to see.

I don''t mind people being passionate but sometimes when original posts are replied to with one word explitives it starts to get out of hand. I would suggest maybe, like bunny said, an automatic "bleep out" list of words.

I have also posted about the frequent poor language and got roundly slated for it. I am glad that some others feel the same way, at times it seems like this is less about football and more about slagging each other off.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]NCFC board are enough to make a nun swear. On a more serious note, as another poster has said you cannot attend a football match without hearing a fair old amount of swearing, for me the instant posts are way better than the previous system.[/quote]

I prefer the old moderated system... I have neither spent much time reading or posting since the moderators decided to go their seperate ways.

While much of that might be down to the fact that there isn''t too much to comment about (as I see it) with regards to NCFC at the moment, it may also partly be down to the fact that the quality of posts on this forum have become so diluted since moderation went out of the window that you have to scroll through pages and pages before finding something worth reading.

I agree with Messiah, that there is absolutely no need for swearing on here... there are plenty of other ways to throw a well thought out insult... [:D]

I think this may also be because the average age and IQ of some posters has dropped considerably...

I must confess it''s never really crossed my mind that eight year old boys would be using this site. I''ve allowed my frustrations to get the better of me a couple of times since the board has become unmoderated and I apologise if I have caused any offence. However, I would suggest that if the worst thing your child encounters in this world is a few swear words on the internet you haven''t got too much to worry about.

[quote user="Poor man''s Earnshaw"]BORING OLD FARTI''ve trawled your other posts on this forum.............That''s the most articulate response out of all the posts you''ve made![:P]

thanks..

although a dog licking his b*llocks has more etiquette than some of the posters on here

i.e beaker, we8wba, 1st wizard

[quote user="Salahuddin"]I think this may also be because the average age and IQ of some posters has dropped considerably...[/quote]

No coincidence the number of binners on here has increased then...

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]NCFC board are enough to make a nun swear. On a more serious note, as another poster has said you cannot attend a football match without hearing a fair old amount of swearing, for me the instant posts are way better than the previous system.[/quote]

I prefer the old moderated system... I have neither spent much time reading or posting since the moderators decided to go their seperate ways.

While much of that might be down to the fact that there isn''t too much to comment about (as I see it) with regards to NCFC at the moment, it may also partly be down to the fact that the quality of posts on this forum have become so diluted since moderation went out of the window that you have to scroll through pages and pages before finding something worth reading.

I agree with Messiah, that there is absolutely no need for swearing on here... there are plenty of other ways to throw a well thought out insult... [:D]

[/quote]

See posters, every cloud does have a silver lining...