Sign in to follow this  
First Jedi

If you keep us up you can have as much money as you want

No heard that quote before... it''s certain a very bold one... not the sort of thing you expect Doncaster to be saying, but apparently he did.http://new.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED29%20May%202008%2010%3A16%3A37%3A193

It just goes to show how worried they really were that we were already down in October.  They hoped for a miracle and, thankfully got one.

Was obviiously a tongue-in-cheek comment to lighten the mood during an interview so please can nobody jump on it as a point of certainty.

[quote user="RobertMack"]Was obviiously a tongue-in-cheek comment to lighten the mood during an interview so please can nobody jump on it as a point of certainty.[/quote]Theoretically he could sue the club if they don''t! :D

[quote user="RobertMack"]Was obviiously a tongue-in-cheek comment to lighten the mood during an interview so please can nobody jump on it as a point of certainty.[/quote]

I really do not understand Archant bringing this back up but omitting the reporter''s comment (at the time) that it was a humourous remark. It''s as though they really want to stir up more trouble....

[quote user="ob1"]No heard that quote before... it''s certain a very bold one... not the sort of thing you expect Doncaster to be saying, but apparently he did.

http://new.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED29%20May%202008%2010%3A16%3A37%3A193

[/quote]

That quote was from months ago.

Makes me think of that old quote chase said "If sutton goes, so will i".

So maybe if Doncaster goes back on his word, he will go too!

Delia & Doomcaster must have been on the wine when they interview Glenn to come out with that statement.

I fear it will be one of those statements quoted in years to come, when we are still a lower Chumpionship team!

Did Freud say "There''s no such thing as a joke"... not sure but in some

cases the phrase is quite correct. Meaning, when Roeder took over we

were needing snookers.  Everybody knew that,  and to be perfectly

honest the Board IMO knew we were practically at the point of no

return.  And the line quoted "you can have as much money as you want"

was said cos they didn''t expect us to get out of trouble.  And when we

are told "we are planning for promotion" the real truth is,  we were

supposed to be planning promotion back to the Championship.

Yes 2nd wizard, if the board know anything about football, then they most certainly knew it was last chance saloon. In some ways it seems that they almost didn''t expect us to stay up. Regardless of its intent, I have a feeling this quote will come back to haunt them if they don''t splash the cash.

I think he will force his hand on this one, and believe they will back him to rebuild for the promotion push, weather its this season or next we go up but he will make them eat thier words if they don''t, If you look at his statement on his 3 year plan they may be looking to spend around £20.000.000 over that time.But then again I could be wronge and Roeder leaves before Pre season I just hope they realise he''s nobody''s yes man  

[quote user="colneycanary"]Makes me think of that old quote chase said "If sutton goes, so will i". So maybe if Doncaster goes back on his word, he will go too![/quote]

yeah I remember that one, from a certain Fat Controller!

The second part being '' as long as it''s less than the change behind my fridge ''.

[quote user="RobertMack"]Was obviiously a tongue-in-cheek comment to lighten the mood during an interview so please can nobody jump on it as a point of certainty.[/quote]

Or just as likely to deflect the question away from talking actual ballpark figures.

Personally i feel Roeder has a fairly strong hand when it comes to the transfer budget,and it was a shrewd move to leak it in the manner he did.If the board renage on their commitment i have a fealing that comment will come back to haunt them. 

[quote user="bunny"]

I really do not understand Archant bringing this back up but omitting the reporter''s comment (at the time) that it was a humourous remark. It''s as though they really want to stir up more trouble....

[/quote]

At the end of the day the only person to bring it up was Roeder so he obviously feels it could give him a hand when grovelling for a couple of thousand for wages on a freebie.

[quote user="bunny"]

[/quote]

I was there at this "fans forum" when Mr. Roeder made this remark. I was fairly convinced at the time that Glenn was merely jesting, and the comment did raise a slight titter from his audience, but I also think it was quite a clever comment as nobody knows for sure whether Glenn was joking or not. He obviously realised that the nearby Doomcaster and Mumbles couldn''t clarify the situation by saying; He''s only joking! If they''d said that they would have brought howls of derision from us in the audience, as they would have made it plain that there was little money for transfers, and at the same time they would have looked a little bit foolish. I think Glenn''s light-hearted comment might have been pre-planned. However you look at it it has certainly provoked debate.