Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

I hate Sky!

Why have they put Hull have now gone 4 games unbeaten? wow 4 games we are now 13 games unbeaten and not a mention. No national service such as BBC or Sky has ever paid any attention to little old Norwich. yet we are probably in the top 15 biggest clubs in the country! see below from Sky website.

Norwich City 1 Hull City 1

Hull extended their unbeaten run to four games as they came from a goal behind to draw at Norwich. Glenn Roeder''s men took the lead on 19 minutes with Dion Dublin meeting Lee Croft''s cross to loop a superb header over goalkeeper Boaz Myhill. But Hull restored parity on 53 minutes when Fraizer Campbell bustled his way past two defenders to fire a low strike into the net

The Duke

[quote user="The Duke"]

Why have they put Hull have now gone 4 games unbeaten? wow 4 games we are now 13 games unbeaten and not a mention. No national service such as BBC or Sky has ever paid any attention to little old Norwich. yet we are probably in the top 15 biggest clubs in the country! see below from Sky website.

Hull extended their unbeaten run to four games as they came from a goal behind to draw at Norwich. Glenn Roeder''s men took the lead on 19 minutes with Dion Dublin meeting Lee Croft''s cross to loop a superb header over goalkeeper Boaz Myhill. But Hull restored parity on 53 minutes when Fraizer Campbell bustled his way past two defenders to fire a low strike into the net

The Duke

[/quote]

i much understand your point and you deserve recoginition but maybe you not giving hull enough credit?

they are higher in the league by 5 or so positions you know? im not saying they are better or they were favs etc...

just saying give respect then you''ll recieve respect

indeed, less pressure etc.. then

longer norwich stay under radar the better, ideally you want to pip in playoffs on the last day

[quote user="The Duke"]

The Duke

[/quote]

Of course, we''re not one of the 15 biggest clubs in the country. We may currently have a bigger attendance than many other clubs but we are far from being one of the biggest. For that matter, Hull has a much larger potential fan base than we do. I''m not trying to cause upset just trying to be factual. We have a great club and I am proud to be a Norwich fan but let''s not get carried away with size !! 

On 5 live on monday night they did a bit about and how well GR had done... They also spoke to Roger Munby about it... 

How do Hull have a potentially bigger fan base?  It is well recognised, even Chris Kamara commented on it recently, that we have a HUGE catchment area, bigger than most clubs.

Having said that, I agree I am happy staying below the radar, although it does grate having so little highlights & no credit on ITV''s The Championship!

How do Hull have a potentially bigger fan base?  It is well recognised, even Chris Kamara commented on it recently, that we have a HUGE catchment area, bigger than most clubs.

Having said that, I agree I am happy staying below the radar, although it does grate having so little highlights & no credit on ITV''s The Championship!

Here we go again. When Kamara mentioned our huge catchment area he was talking square miles not population i.e. the whole of Norfolk. My point is that the population of Norfolk is less than the population of the conurbation of Kingston upon Hull i.e. and that''s excluding the population in their wider catchment area. I''m not that interested in comparing with Hull, it just that it was obviously topical. Instead of Hull let''s consider the following all of whom have larger, local populations than we have in Norfolk - Sheffield United and Weds, Coventry, West Brom and Wolves (I''ve always thought these are poorly attended clubs when you take into account their large fan base), Plymouth, Bristol City etc etc The valid point is that we are one of the best attended clubs on the basis of ratio of attendance to size of catchment area measured of course by the number of people living in said catchment area. So, well done to us but please don''t try and argue that we are potentially one of the biggest clubs because that''s just foolish and, I for one, an happy with who we are anyway.

right you can argue you top 15 club or not

my pain point is

george the big african prospect has chance to move to wigan or norwich who will he choose?

my guess is wigan

what im saying is you have more potential but currently wigan are a bigger side

quote user ( And he''s the smallest man on the pitch )

Here we go again. When Kamara mentioned our huge catchment area he was talking square miles not population i.e. the whole of Norfolk. My point is that the population of Norfolk is less than the population of the conurbation of Kingston upon Hull i.e. and that''s excluding the population in their wider catchment area. I''m not that interested in comparing with Hull, it just that it was obviously topical. Instead of Hull let''s consider the following all of whom have larger, local populations than we have in Norfolk - Sheffield United and Weds, Coventry, West Brom and Wolves (I''ve always thought these are poorly attended clubs when you take into account their large fan base), Plymouth, Bristol City etc etc The valid point is that we are one of the best attended clubs on the basis of ratio of attendance to size of catchment area measured of course by the number of people living in said catchment area. So, well done to us but please don''t try and argue that we are potentially one of the biggest clubs because that''s just foolish and, I for one, an happy with who we are anyway.

Not so sure about that, Hull is fairly big but there are other teams up that way, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Doncatser, Middlesborough. I also think that Norwich have a bigger fan base throughout the country, more so than the likes of Hull, I think it stems back to our Premiership years.

[quote user="Marty"]quote user ( And he''s the smallest man on the pitch )

Not so sure about that, Hull is fairly big but there are other teams up that way, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Doncatser, Middlesborough. I also think that Norwich have a bigger fan base throughout the country, more so than the likes of Hull, I think it stems back to our Premiership years.

[/quote]

Sorry Marty but when was the last time you looked at a map ?! By the way, when are you going to change your avatar or whatever it''s called ? You''ve been using the current one for a long time now.

Still dont agree with you Small Man.  Okay I probably brought that on with mentioning Kamara, but this is something I have thought and discussed for quite a long time.

The estimated population of Norfolk is in the region of 850,000, and as a catchment area Norwich is completely unopposed.  That is also before you look at North Suffolk, areas of which is still closer to here than Ips***, going into Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire also.  The area is huge but just because it isnt a densely populated area doesnt mean there isnt anyone there at all.

Bristol - population of around 380,000, two football clubs in the city.  Also Cardiff and Swindon reasonably nearby for competition for fans.

I could go through every single example you use if you want, but that would probably just bore me let alone anyone else reading. 

The general catchment area for Norwich is just about smaller than Birmingham in population, I think that is a pretty good idea of it.

quote user =And he''s the smallest man on the pitch

Sorry Marty but when was the last time you looked at a map ?! By the way, when are you going to change your avatar or whatever it''s called ? You''ve been using the current one for a long time now.

Scunthorpe and Grimsby are closer to HKR than we our to our nearest rival team, and Donny is about the same. Ok so Middlesborough is a bit out but as you go further north up that coast you will get the geordie fans too, so no geography is not so poor afterall is it?

Also, my avatar has changed recently.

I can look at a map quite easily, and although Hull itself is a good size, outside of Hull it will have competition from York, Lincoln, Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Rotherham, Sheffield (Utd or Wed), Doncaster, Barnsley.  Some good sized names in there!

As we8wba eloquently pointed out, its all about potential.

I travel around West and South Yorshire a great deal and I can tell you this - you have absolutely no idea of the size of populations in the areas you mention. Like I said, it really doesn''t matter to me, I am happy with my club, its identity and its potential but some of you just don''t understand the sheer size of the conurbations in Yorkshire. Kingston upon Hull and its surrounding area has a bigger population than Norfolk therefore Hull FC is an underperforming club when compared to Norwich on the basis of the ratio I already mentioned and although I''m proud of that I find the "we are big club" mantra silly. That''s all.

Just looking on the internet and picking up official figures from various local authorities tells me that it doesnt.

I dont think we are a big club, but we have the potential to be a big club if we got our act together, got promotion and managed to keep there.  We would have no problems filling a 35,000+ seater stadium in the Premier League unlike the majority of clubs in that league at the moment.  Although we dont want silly ideas of grandure ahead of our time, if we can build up steadily (hopefully under Roeder) then there is huge potential.

also, SSN had the promotion odds and had a list of everyone down to QPR excluding us. i know its not likely to happen but cmon..

Ok some people may have been confused as to the point of my original post, and by typing it rather quickly at work may have not been very clear. My main point is not the size of the club (although i believe we are a big club, In my opinion bigger than at least 5 prem teams (Wigan, Portsmouth, Reading, Middlesbrough, Bolton, all average lover attendances than Norwich this year i believe, feel free to correct me if wrong). and i am also glad we have not been noticed on this good run. But there does come a time when a little recognition for all the hard work of the team and manager and even fans should be noted and over the years this has happened far to little for my liking.

The Duke

We are a bigger, more sucessful and better supported club than Hull and Norwich is a bigger City than Hull lets move on... Unless you want to tell me your Dad is bigger than mine???

Oh and yes big George African man would probably go to Wigan but only for the wages not to plough a furrow in a field in Wigan gettin beat every week....

quote user "And he''s the smallest man on the pitch

I travel around West and South Yorshire a great deal and I can tell you this - you have absolutely no idea of the size of populations in the areas you mention. Like I said, it really doesn''t matter to me, I am happy with my club, its identity and its potential but some of you just don''t understand the sheer size of the conurbations in Yorkshire. Kingston upon Hull and its surrounding area has a bigger population than Norfolk therefore Hull FC is an underperforming club when compared to Norwich on the basis of the ratio I already mentioned and although I''m proud of that I find the "we are big club" mantra silly. That''s all.

I know Yorkshire quite well and you argument is a touch flawed, I merely pointed out that there are closer alternative teams to Hull than there are to Norwich and this will lead to more choice in that region.

The population of Hull maybe be significantly more than Norwich but Norwich does have a large catchment area and also are a more desireable club to follow for outsiders than say Hull (for various reasons). We are a medium size club and are proving it at the moment, we will never be a large club and that may be a good thing. Likewise, Hull will never be a big club, at best they can dream of being like Wigan, big investment and some success but not many locals care and would rather watch rugby!

Hull are a big city.  One of the biggest.  In fact the biggest in europe that has never had a top flight football team.That surely makes Hull a big team ;)

sorry to pee on your fire but Nowich has a potential catchment area of over 1 million in its fan base if you include Kings Lynn,Lowestoft,Gr Yarmouth,etc etc,all of which are known for there support of NCFC. Like the previous threads said, Hull has many more league teams competeing with it coupled with the fact its a Rugby league town. Norfolk itself has a population of 800 thousand and than you can throw in north/northwest suffolk and a good part of Cambs [wisbeach...etc]. Far to many other teams/sports in that part of the country to ever put Hull in the same boat as Norwich when it comes to Football.

But, at what cost and could you afford it, irrespective of how long it took?

Buy in a new team.

Vastly increased salaries.

Cost of a new stadium/alterations to current ground.

I hope you acieve it.

But, don''t forget to subtract the number of families and small kids, who would not be able to attend games because of the big increase in ticket prices.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

sorry to pee on your fire but Nowich has a potential catchment area of over 1 million in its fan base if you include Kings Lynn,Lowestoft,Gr Yarmouth,etc etc,all of which are known for there support of NCFC. Like the previous threads said, Hull has many more league teams competeing with it coupled with the fact its a Rugby league town. Norfolk itself has a population of 800 thousand and than you can throw in north/northwest suffolk and a good part of Cambs [wisbeach...etc]. Far to many other teams/sports in that part of the country to ever put Hull in the same boat as Norwich when it comes to Football.

[/quote]

When you look it at it like that Arther, we should a bigger club in terms of size etc, Same with Ipswich I suppose, you look at Colchester and they have to contend with the London.

[quote user="we8wba"]

right you can argue you top 15 club or not

my pain point is

george the big african prospect has chance to move to wigan or norwich who will he choose?

my guess is wigan

what im saying is you have more potential but currently wigan are a bigger side

[/quote]That''s all very well for you to say! but big George the African prospect probably wouldn''t get a work permit, Even If he did he''d  be playing in the African Nations for half the season and come back injured, so Wigan are welcome to take Big [injured, half a season] George!Norfolk is bigger than Africa anyway, so why do we need Big George?  the best young prospects from Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City have chosen Norwich so if he wants to go to Wigan - let him, the short sighted buffoon! 

sorry to pee on your fire but Nowich has a potential catchment area of over 1 million in its fan base if you include Kings Lynn,Lowestoft,Gr Yarmouth,etc etc,all of which are known for there support of NCFC.

[/quote]

I always thought that the population of Gt. Yarmouth were known for their support of Man Yoo [:^)].

[quote user="7rew"]Hull are a big city.  One of the biggest.  In fact the biggest in europe that has never had a top flight football team.

That surely makes Hull a big team ;)
[/quote]

?

Not sure if this was entirely serious.  Hull is the 17th biggest city in Britain.  Maybe twice the size in population terms as Norwich but wouldnt say one of the biggest.

What makes Hull a small team is that they have a 25,000 seater stadium and an average attendance of just 17,000.  Norwich fills an average of 94.1% of the stadium, Hull just 67.7%.

[/quote]

My point exactly. Also, Hull is a dump (not a particularly constructive comment but true!)