Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

WONDERFUL NEWS!

I''m not really aware of the circumstances behind this story...... hope its not a case of money talks......What was the grounds on which he sought asylum?

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]I''m not really aware of the circumstances behind this story...... hope its not a case of money talks......What was the grounds on which he sought asylum?[/quote]He was seeking asylum from Sierra Leone, a country ravaged by civil war where his family had been directly threatened. The government tried to certify Sierra Leone as a "safe" country and deport him. All this goes on whilst certain extremely rich people, dodge taxes which would run into millions by registering companies offshore. Bangoura pays his taxes, has a girlfriend and a child over here and actively tries to contribute to the local community.Not a case of money talks, i dont think. For more info see the thread in "its not just football" section of this very messageboard.

This is great news and i for one am very pleased with the outcome.

Welcome Al.

This just highlights how inept our current system is.He comes from a war torn country, where as has been said his family has been directly threatened. Not only that but he is not likely to be able to hide or dodge very much considering the publicity of footballers etc.I totaly agree - this country almost certainly looses more money through people with vast amounts of wealth dodging Tax. I have even heard some people claim benefit fraud is also up there with the other top money loosers . . . . . .

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]I''m not really aware of the circumstances behind this story...... hope its not a case of money talks......

What was the grounds on which he sought asylum?
[/quote]

He was seeking asylum from Sierra Leone, a country ravaged by civil war where his family had been directly threatened.

The government tried to certify Sierra Leone as a "safe" country and deport him. All this goes on whilst certain extremely rich people, dodge taxes which would run into millions by registering companies offshore. Bangoura pays his taxes, has a girlfriend and a child over here and actively tries to contribute to the local community.

Not a case of money talks, i dont think. For more info see the thread in "its not just football" section of this very messageboard.
[/quote]

But a lot of those tax dodgers are business owners who employ hundreds if not thousands of tax-paying employees. We pay too much tax in this country anyway (most of it by stealth) so good luck to them.

Why should their employees who earn about ten thousand times less than them per annum pay their tax and the rich fatcats not? Good luck to them? You wanna wish them luck as they dodge taxes which could build a hospital, pay nurses, pay the police or fund education? If you are happy to let them opt out of paying tax and getting richer at this country''s expense then fine, but if it is justifiable for them to avoid tax, why the hell should i pay mine? and if i don''t pay mine, because it costs me money (obviously) why should anyone else? And if no-one pays taxes the whole economy and infrastructure of the country collapses.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]I''m not really aware of the circumstances behind this story...... hope its not a case of money talks......What was the grounds on which he sought asylum?[/quote]He was seeking asylum from Sierra Leone,

[/quote]I''m well aware of the history of Sierra Leone.... I had the misfortune to spend several nights in Lungi in 1991....on what grounds was he seeking asylum?

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]I''m not really aware of the circumstances behind this story...... hope its not a case of money talks......

[/quote]

He was seeking asylum from Sierra Leone,

[/quote]
I''m well aware of the history of Sierra Leone.... I had the misfortune to spend several nights in Lungi in 1991....

on what grounds was he seeking asylum?
[/quote]

He wasnt given asylum in the end anyway he was granted a work permit in the same way as any other non-EU player

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]I''m not really aware of the circumstances behind this story...... hope its not a case of money talks......

[/quote]

He was seeking asylum from Sierra Leone,

[/quote]
I''m well aware of the history of Sierra Leone.... I had the misfortune to spend several nights in Lungi in 1991....

on what grounds was he seeking asylum?
[/quote]

This BBC Article states :

[quote]As Bangoura Snr was a member of the Poro Secret Society, custom demanded that his son take over his place upon his death.[/quote]

And this Soccerlens article suggests :

[quote]As simple as it gets, if Al Bangoura is sent back to Sierra Leone any time soon, the Poro Secret Society will find him, they will almost certainly torture him, and then for their own personal retribution, they will mutilate him. It really is one of those situations where you have to put yourself in the position that Bangoura faces, and imagine what future, if any lies ahead for him if Britain sends him back to his ravaged home country.[/quote]

[quote user="bunny"]

But a lot of those tax dodgers are business owners who employ hundreds if not thousands of tax-paying employees. We pay too much tax in this country anyway (most of it by stealth) so good luck to them.

[/quote]What, in britian, a country that can technically be classified as a TAX HAVEN, like Lichtenstein and the Caymen Islands. (It was on Radio 4 a while back, its due to the availability to have non-resident tax status [we say the income is taxed elsewhere] without having to prove you do in fact pay that tax in the other country).   I agree about the stealth aspect - I would like the tax burden to be more honestly stated as income tax rather than governments back for a quater of a century trying to confuse people in to thinking that the tax changes in the budget are tax cuts, when they are infact revenue neutral.But anyway its good that Bangourra can stay.