Sign in to follow this  
James Long

Video Screens for Carrow Road

I was talking to someone the other day about this and what does everyone think about this.
Would anyone like to see them because many teams have them and if were entering the Premiership it would be nice to give the stadium a bit more balance to it with these because the 2 other teams West Brom and Crystal Palace who we''re promoted with have their own ones and we may be a bit left out. I don''t think there that expensive are they? I guess if you had two of them they could go on top of the 2 ends or you could have them in one corner between the Jarrold and Barclay stands. I do think they would look nice in the stadium and make it quite good because for somewhere like Highbury which is quite old, the screens do make the place look a little modern and teams like spurs have them well integrated into the stadium. If we were to have them lets hope they were to show the FOOTBALL MATCH and not have these ones were at some stadiums just show adverts throughout the game and only show match action with big moments or goal replays. I remember at Southampton they had a lots of adverts on and am told at Bolton advertising is mainly on them. Whats everyone think?

i think the general opinion is that yes people would want them but not if it were to take away money from the transfer and wages budget. if we were to have one theres no question it would be betwen the barclay and south stand but i see it as highly unlikely and of course one way to get money back on purchasing the screen is to have adverst on it. REMEMBER why they are used. they are used for FANS to get a better view and clubs might see this as a waste of money

Personally i think there a waste of money. At the playoff final i found myself watching half the game on the big screen, forgetting that the match was live in front of me! However, it might make money from advertising, an inevatable use for such an expensive purchase. Theres also a FIFA rule which says they can only be used to show positive aspect of the game e.g. goals whereas we''d want to see the controvertial aspects, dodgy offsides, in or out of the box time moments. Not worth it unless Mr Proton wants to purchase it!

Have to say I agree with Bryan Gunn (or as some commentator liked to call him on the Masters last night- Bryn Gunn!) Think they are a bit of a waste of money. We''ve survived the last N number of years without one, why do we need one now? Also, I''ve found that very few show the game live as it''s happening. I''m sure it''s something to do with the TV rights or something, but big screens normally just show the score or the line ups. Also, surely the hotel (fingers crossed) would slip in where it would go in a few years anyway?

Finally, and might I add most importantly, most of the people in the Barclay (myself included!) wouldn''t be able to see it very well!! ;-)

I''d only like to see one if it was paid for fully by a sponsor.

But the comment above about video screens only being allowed to show positive elements of a game leads me onto a more important point:
What happened to the idea of there being a fifth official to back up the referees decisions by watching on screen, or more importantly to over rule them?

After watching the ref and refs assistants call hundreds of dodgy penalties and disallow many more goals offside (and vice versa) incorrectly for decades I think it''s long over due. Especially as it''s used to excellent effect in Rugby.
Look what happened to Man Utd in the Champ League, Scholes had a perfectly good goal disallowed which eventually cost them the game and probably the trophy. I know this is extremely funny for you and I, you''ve got to admit, just imagine the same happening to get us relegated next season.

In fact I''d love to see Refs get Red Carded and replaced by another ref if they get more than two decisions wrong. They''d soon get their acts together.

Re: Video screens.

The only place we could feasibly put one is between the Barclay and the New Stand. So only half the ground could view it anyway, so I don''t see the point. Only if a sponsor paid for it would I be ok with having a screen at Carrow Rd.

re: a tv ref.

No way, not in a million years! Ref''s may be crap, but if footy becomes like cricket or rugby where you wait for ages for a decision then I''d rather be spending my saturday afternoons shopping with the missus. And I''m never going to let that happen, never!

It''s got to be said Pyro. Shopping with the missus really is the most tedious, monotonous and dull pass time ever inflicted upon us men. I''d rather watch cricket or Ipswich reserves.
I guess that was why football was invented, to give us an excuse not to revisit the section in Marks and Spencer where they sell dried flower arrangments!!!! Why God why would she ever want them?!!

If refs don''t have some back up they''re going to get away with these bizarre decision forever. Did you ever see the time Celtic (I am almost certain it was them) scored a goal which entered the net and bounced straight back out after hitting the back goal support. Every Celtic supporter was celebrating, the opposition team had even begun to walk back to their positions to await the kick off. The referee then disallowed it because he thought it had hit the bar!!! Even the opposition manager couldn''t believe it. The little mini-Hitler was so arrogant that he believed he was right over everyone else in the stadium and didn''t change his decision.

This can''t be right. The Scholes goal mentioned above probably cost Man Utd 10 million. Most refs can''t do their job properly and need back up, especialy when there is so much money at stake. And the back up fifth ref may only need to be used on average once every 10 games, for penalty claims etc.

I think some people are missing the point with the building of a large video screen. It is not just about what we can and cannot see on it. A video screen helps project both the image and the perception of a premiere league club and that is what we want to achieve long term for the club. It may cost a few quid but long term there should be good revenue from it and as I said earlier it all adds even if just a small bit to building NCFC into a true premiere league club.

Up the city!

I like the idea of video screens, but I would prefer to have 200+ more seats in the ground. The current, and may I say "archaic message-boards" in the Barclay and River End, do need replacing as they have served their time now. A replacement Clock is now a must! what happened to the old South Stand tick-tock?. Lets see how the season goes, and maybe a couple of screens may be purchased next year with finances permitting. (Would come in very handy on beam-backs though, but only if strategically placed.)

I don''t think the addition of a video screen is going to make people sit up and take notice of us. We will be noticed and accepted as a Premiership outfit if we play good football, have a good atmosphere, great fans and do well. Established Premiership clubs such as Liverpool, Manchester United and Aston Villa don''t have them. I just think it''s a needless waste of cash which could be spent elsewhere

I don''t know how much such screens would cost (does anyone, by the way?), but it seems to me that if there is no hotel in the gap between the two stands for the forseeable future, then it would make sense to put one in there.

Surely the amount of money the club would receive through sponsorship, with full colour ads and so on, would mean that the screen would pay for itself?

Plus maybe a sponsor might even pay for the screen itself up front (accepting a loss if the club don''t sell all the ad space), with a percentage of the profits winging their way to the company who paid for it?

Seems like a good idea at the moment - as neither extra seats nor a hotel look likely for the forseeable future.

OTBC

I would like to see a screen because the corner between the Barclay and jarrold stand does need to be filled and it is useful to get the teams rtaher than reading the scrolling names on the scoreboard but I do agree with DumbleDelia that its a bit of a waste of money at the moment and I would rather see it go towards the playing staff. If we get established in the Prem then lets consider it but at the moment its a luxury. Any sponsor would just want his adverts on it which would be as boring as not having anything there.

A screen is a great idea, but it couldn''t go between the Barclay and South Stands. Just angle your computer monitor so that it faces the window and try to see anything on it and you''ll see why. Remember for the majority of games the sun comes over the top of the River End and you''d see nothing at all on the screen. Hence it could only go down the other end....

Ama

Some are for it and some agin it. I think we should park it for now because at some stage in the future video will be inevitably be used for critical decisions. Like it or not, its bound to happen. Too many commercial drivers.

If we are compelled, then lets do it then. There''ll probably be some standard that has to be met. At least by waiting we''ll not waste money short term by using the wrong technology.

come on guys, shopping is great - you just haven''t been with me lol (and no, i never buy dried flowers!!!)

as for video screens, i think they are best used in large stadiums such as highbury - cannot see the point of having them at carrow road, unless you are the unfortunate person behind someone who insists on standing up throughout the game (sorry to bring up that subject again), in which case, go and sit in the river end or city stand where you will never miss a moment''s action as everyone else is asleep lol

in the main they are just a bit of a status symbol, (oh look we are a big successful club let''s make sure everyone knows it and install a video screen!) wow, like someone else mentioned, i would just rather watch the game live or not at all

if the club want to spend serious money on facilities rather than the team, why not employ more staff at the bar so you don''t have to miss the end of the first half of start of the second to go and get a drink!!

Having regard for this thread and the screen for carrow road. Maybe i have missed something in my search for video tapes of home and away games that City are involved in. I have wanted to be able to watch our matches much more closely after the games. Fot the purpose of my own analysis and to be able to get a more balanced view of our successes and failures on the pitchetc. Are videos being made for commercial sale if so where. If not it would be a great source of extra revenue or am I being a little naive.

Beelsie, I''m assuming you know about the season review DVD or Video which come out soon. But if you wanted to see the goals and limited other action go to the NCFC official site www.canaries.co.uk and sign up for the Canaries zone, it''s only a quid over summer. You also get interviews and match day commentary (if Waller isn''t your cup of tea). You''ll need broadband, and some of the highlights a pretty poor quality. But better than nothing.

Thanks for that info, Jonzey. The Quid touch looks interesting, and yes I am aware of the forthcoming review issue. I was really looking for pukka 90 minute video professionally produced by the NCFC team that will show the full action replay after each game, as would be used by Worthy for viewing and instruction with the team after the match. I would have thought these would be available, and as I said the revenue would be handy for the club. Perhaps there are copy right problems with the Sky agreement. Cheers, Beelsie.
PS I''m afraid we can''t get Broadband out here yet!!