Sign in to follow this  
DIDDY a

John Hartson

I think John Hartson helped turn the game for us today. He maybe slow and maybe couldn''t play the 90 minutes but

definately playes to his strengths with the way he holds the ball up and wins headers. If he can gets himself properly fit

then he could be a real asset to us while we have him.

He justified his loan fee in 45 mins. Awsome, he totally bossed the Ipswich defence. They were terrified of him. I loved his 2 handed shove on on of the Ipswich defenders trying to mark him, who almost fell over backwards. Nobody messes with Big bad John. If him and Curo continue to hit it off we are climbing the table.

I thought Hartson did ok, one thing I did notice though from the upper barclay is that a couple of times wingers were in good positions, and he was mearly jogging into the box when he should have been really attacking the ball, is this due to fitness or desire? I cant tell, but if he was fit hed be a definate asset to the squad.

[quote user="chasey1984"]I think John Hartson helped turn the game for us today. He maybe slow and maybe couldn''t play the 90 minutes but definately playes to his strengths with the way he holds the ball up and wins headers. If he can gets himself properly fit then he could be a real asset to us while we have him.
[/quote]

Just think of him as Fat Boy Slim

When he came on I was waiting for the ''who ate all the pies'' comments coming from the ipswich fans. I can''t take him seriously. Looked like an embarassing dad or one of those big fat bullies who cant play football and just runs around pushing everyone over. Yeah ok, he had a few decent shots, but he was just lucky to be in them positions, put it a few more yard in front of him and he would have no chance in hell. The only reason the ipswich players were scared of him was because he would probarbly have bowled them over if they did not get out of his way.

[quote user="fhfghgjf"]When he came on I was waiting for the ''who ate all the pies'' comments coming from the ipswich fans. I can''t take him seriously. Looked like an embarassing dad or one of those big fat bullies who cant play football and just runs around pushing everyone over. Yeah ok, he had a few decent shots, but he was just lucky to be in them positions, put it a few more yard in front of him and he would have no chance in hell. The only reason the ipswich players were scared of him was because he would probarbly have bowled them over if they did not get out of his way.[/quote]

If you read Neil Alexander''s comments in the EADT, he says that JH changed the game and ''bullied'' their defence.

I think I''ll agree with the Town players who obviously know!!!

Top man JH [H]

Hate to say this but he was more effective than Dublin on the day, as for his touch, i see him kill the ball on his chest a few times, won some headers, one vital one. Yes he is well overweight, no pace but did the job on the day. My worry has always been where our goals are going to come from, i just dont rate Brown, or Dave the striker, sorry but i dont see enough goals or skill in either of them, we desperately need someone in imo.

[quote user="fhfghgjf"]When he came on I was waiting for the ''who ate all the pies'' comments coming from the ipswich fans. I can''t take him seriously. Looked like an embarassing dad or one of those big fat bullies who cant play football and just runs around pushing everyone over. Yeah ok, he had a few decent shots, but he was just lucky to be in them positions, put it a few more yard in front of him and he would have no chance in hell. The only reason the ipswich players were scared of him was because he would probarbly have bowled them over if they did not get out of his way.[/quote]I read a match report that said he swung the game in our favour immediately because he unsettled their previously solid defence. If we''ve got someone who can do that, i don''t care how fat he is or what he looks like. Before this game, we couldn''t seem to trouble a back line of grannies. That, and a smilarly big bossing guy at the back (Taylor) is what we have been missing. Shame they''re only on loan.

i was 1st to knock the move, but after seeing him sunday he changed the game, it looks like he lost a bit of weight lately (although 2stone overweight still) maybe if you keep him in right frame of mind he will become a very vital player for you! i thought he held up the ball very well for cureton or the attacking move of the like of chadwick. i dont think hartson will net you 10goals mind you though!

Hartson played really well I thought, and like others have set, really unsettled the Ipswich defence.The only snag is that if he messes up his first touch, plays the ball badly or makes any kind of mistake he has no chance of rectifying it or running it down because of how unfit he is. Likewise, there were a couple of times when he really should have been on the 6-yard line, but couldn''t quite make it there fast enough in time for Huckerby''s crosses.

OK so I have only seen Hartson for 2 halves but for me he has been the best striker for city  this season;  link up play, power, holding the ball up, efforts on target and fear in the opposition.   So far only Cureton has hit the back of the net on a regular basis (5) with more goals than the other strikers combined (Dion 2, Brown & Dave 1 each).  But on what they bring to the team based on what I have seen so far I would rate the strikers in descending order of performance (not including goals - but impact on team)

Hartson - Power,  aggression, aerial power, positioning sense, a leader on the pitch, link up play and a goal threat. Lumberingly slow,  but will work to get balls that are short or off direction so slightly more mobile than dion despite the clear differences in physique and fitness.  What on earth would he be like fit?  And as a pro how does he allow himself to be so big - doesnt he want to attract a club that will let him play? 

Cureton - Hmm 5 goals says he is our threat;  when interested is a threat;  hopefully roeder can encourage it as much as grant squashed the life out of him.  100% reliant on service - take that away and he neednt even be on the bench.  Not sure on attitude as a result - played way off brown who won a lot of ball pointlessly as a result - but wanted to be closer to Hartson and the benefit was clear for all to see.

=Brown - Everything that Hartson is (excluding goal threat) but not as good - better in the air than credited,  will be interesting to see how he plays in an upbeat team rather than a downbeat one;  will he be as out of his depth as we think?  

=Dublin - Fantastic leaders; Reads game well so gets in goal threatening positions - not mobile enough to react to our usually less than inch perfect crosses; Aerially strong,  but does not control his flick ons as well as Brown or hartson (too many skid off the top off his head to be controlled).  Brings players into the game well IF he can get control of the ball - however he does not get hold of it as successfully as hartson.   Legs no longer provide the movement we need for him to be successful as a striker

Martin - all around attuitude - he has the ability but seems to apply it inconsistently

I agree WeloveWBA, hartson has lost some weight and arguably looks a lot fitter. He has a long way to go though to achieve the fitness and profesionalism of Dublin though. He played well, and he can swing games but we need someone who can do more work than him as a starter. So I can''t see him ever being anything other than a sub player coming on and doing the similar things that he did against ipswich.