Sign in to follow this  
Mello Yello

THE WATFORD WAY......

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Now, (in hindsight) why couldn''t we have done it their way?

[/quote]

Err... Mello.... they haven''t done it yet. Football is a funny game.

[/quote]

I bet you a Hershey bar (with almonds) and will scoff Elton ''tubster'' John''s syrup (without almonds) if they don''t. 

Watford''s Gap will increase, and they''ll win promotion from the Chumpionship. Dead Cert!

[/quote]

You know Mello, I really am partial to those Hershey bars with almonds. Are you in a generous mood and could we make it a big one. Of course Watford are not buried yet ( although they do appear to be dead ). Since you first posted this at the end of October Watford have managed 39 points from 33 games. During the same period Norwich yielded 47 points from 32 games. Of course, Watford could still finish up in the play-offs and, undeservedly, win promotion. However, I don''t think so on the latter point, do you? As I pointed out to you and Mr. Carrow, football really is a funny old game.

[/quote]

Mello, I really am licking my lips at the thought of a giant Hershey bar ( with almonds ).

[/quote]

Incorrectly, it seems. However, Mello, I don''t think you should take any comfort from the way Watford got into the playoffs compared to your opinion of how they would do it in style.

[/quote]

Saviour the Hershey........It''s really a laxative chocolate bar.....

[/quote]

That''s more like it!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I bet you a Hershey bar (with almonds) and will scoff Elton ''tubster'' John''s syrup (without almonds) if they don''t. 

Watford''s Gap will increase, and they''ll win promotion from the Chumpionship. Dead Cert!

[/quote]

You know Mello, I really am partial to those Hershey bars with almonds. Are you in a generous mood and could we make it a big one. Of course Watford are not buried yet ( although they do appear to be dead ). Since you first posted this at the end of October Watford have managed 39 points from 33 games. During the same period Norwich yielded 47 points from 32 games. Of course, Watford could still finish up in the play-offs and, undeservedly, win promotion. However, I don''t think so on the latter point, do you? As I pointed out to you and Mr. Carrow, football really is a funny old game.

[/quote]

Mello, I really am licking my lips at the thought of a giant Hershey bar ( with almonds ).

[/quote]

Incorrectly, it seems. However, Mello, I don''t think you should take any comfort from the way Watford got into the playoffs compared to your opinion of how they would do it in style.

[/quote]

Saviour the Hershey........It''s really a laxative chocolate bar.....

[/quote]

That''s more like it!

[/quote]

And I won''t tell you where I sourced the Almond''s from.....

And before you disappear to the washroom ''to take care of business'' (and drop a few brown bombs on the Whitehouse) as the laxative ''Hershey mit Almond'' kicks in.....Watford have stumbled and stuttered after their initial surge......but, they''re still in the play-offs and are in with a shout.....

Now ''Chop, Chop!'' it''s time for your ''Plop, Plop!''

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

And before you disappear to the washroom ''to take care of business'' (and drop a few brown bombs on the Whitehouse) as the laxative ''Hershey mit Almond'' kicks in.....Watford have stumbled and stuttered after their initial surge......but, they''re still in the play-offs and are in with a shout.....

[/quote]

Some shout!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Some shout!

[/quote]

[:|][8]TOOT! TOOT! PARP![8]......Ok, they''re in with a ''$hit''. There, I''ll blow your ickle trumpet for you.....And for Windass? We can only dream - what might have been....Oh, and it''s still a two-legged affair y''know, and stranger things have happened.[8-|]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Mello, just over 14,700 at Vicarage Road. Sounds like a few had already figured out what kind of a shout to expect.  [/quote]

Yes, and we attract 10,000 more, now why is that?  Even though our team is currently PANTS!......Why do we still turn up in droves?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Mello, just over 14,700 at Vicarage Road. Sounds like a few had already figured out what kind of a shout to expect.  [/quote]Yes, they certainly have acheived a play-off place, a successful season for most sides in this league.  How well have we done these last three seasons?? Let me answer that, Failure, Failure and Failure.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]Mello, just over 14,700 at Vicarage Road. Sounds like a few had already figured out what kind of a shout to expect.  [/quote]

Yes, they certainly have acheived a play-off place, a successful season for most sides in this league. 

How well have we done these last three seasons?? Let me answer that, Failure, Failure and Failure.
[/quote]

We are back where we were 10 years ago. An average championship team at best! Can Roeder turn things round like Worthy did?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Mello, just over 14,700 at Vicarage Road. Sounds like a few had already figured out what kind of a shout to expect.  [/quote]

Yes, and we attract 10,000 more, now why is that?  Even though our team is currently PANTS!......Why do we still turn up in droves?

[/quote]

For those free half-time snackies, speaking of which.....these almonds are roasted to perfection. The perfect compliment to the surrounding chocolate ( ooohhh!.....licks lips ). This is really good Mello. Can we do it "The Watford Way" again next season. Please, pretty please.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]no they haven''t but they''re a lot closer than we are!

Just ten months ago this thread was on the go with:

Mello Yello: "Now, (in hindsight) why couldn''t we have done it their way?" and my response:

"Err... Mello.... they haven''t done it yet. Football is a funny game."

Followed by Mr. Carrow''s input: "

"Sorry Yankee but it`s got nothing to do with stars lining up right. Their reaction to relegation was to sign McAnuff and Ellington for £6million (and one or two others) to bolster an already decent squad, ours was to sell Francis, Jonsson, Helveg and Svensson for £3.5million and spend £750k on Hughes, Thorne, Jarrett and Colin. My mate says that none of their best players want to leave because they feel part of a clearly ambitious, forward-thinking club on the way up. Since relegation we have been the exact opposite of this."

Now, here we are before this season has even begun, Watford are in denial that they are on the edge of administration, despite selling anything they can land their hands on, and they have a manager who looks and sounds like he''s just waiting for someone else to make an offer. Watford''s board state they continue to investigate the possibility of fresh investment as a priority.

Norwich, on the other hand, despite ongoing criticism from a few that seem to enjoy crying in their beer, are a club that afford to turn away 20 million because it''s not enough. Most intelligent observers would not need a lot of extra input to determine which of the two clubs was being run in a better manner.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Mello Yello: "Now, (in hindsight) why couldn''t we have done it their way?" and my response:

"Sorry Yankee but it`s got nothing to do with stars lining up right. Their reaction to relegation was to sign McAnuff and Ellington for £6million (and one or two others) to bolster an already decent squad, ours was to sell Francis, Jonsson, Helveg and Svensson for £3.5million and spend £750k on Hughes, Thorne, Jarrett and Colin. My mate says that none of their best players want to leave because they feel part of a clearly ambitious, forward-thinking club on the way up. Since relegation we have been the exact opposite of this."

Now, here we are before this season has even begun, Watford are in denial that they are on the edge of administration, despite selling anything they can land their hands on, and they have a manager who looks and sounds like he''s just waiting for someone else to make an offer. Watford''s board state they continue to investigate the possibility of fresh investment as a priority.

Norwich, on the other hand, despite ongoing criticism from a few that seem to enjoy crying in their beer, are a club that afford to turn away 20 million because it''s not enough. Most intelligent observers would not need a lot of extra input to determine which of the two clubs was being run in a better manner.

[/quote]

You could also say they had an even worse prem season than us as well.

I would say that at least they went out and made a proper attempt when relegated buying spending a bit of cash - within 12 months of us being relegated we had sold something like £13M of players (those listed in the thread plus Ashton, Green & McKenzie). Within that time we were already pleading poverty and that we needed a Delia handout for the £50K required to sign Robinson. I also wouldn''t rule out us selling off a Shackell or a Russell for a £1M before the window closes to balance the books.

In fairness, I agree with your general point regarding Watford and wouldn''t be surprised to see them struggling this year. They only made the play off''s last year on the back of the first 15 games. They were crap post Xmas once King had gone and they have lost Henderson too now.

[quote user=Mr Carrow]

And Yankee, of course it could all go t*ts up for them but the point is at least they are giving it a real go, players and fans are united and happy and they will probably strengthen even further in Jan. We, on the other hand, just lamely gave up.

[/quoIsn''t the ''point'' that statistically they will screw themselves for the next 10 years. Have you seen their ground? training facilities? Balance sheet? Football?Not pretty.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Congratulations! It''s about the 4th time in as many months, that you''ve brought this ''pedantic point-scoring post'' to the fore. You really are scraping the barrel for ammo - aren''t you Americano. You really are, one sad old Tommy Tucker.

Am I allowed to say that the truth hurts Mello? Imagine trying to get your hands on the free biscuits at Vicarage Road. Even the crumbs would be fought over.

Really Mello, for somebody who more often than not takes cheap shots under the facade of off-the-wall humour, you really seem to have lost your sense of one haven''t you!? Maybe this resurrected thread just goes to show that we''re all fallible - or perhaps that the club isn''t run as badly as some of you think...But who knows, maybe Watford will go up as champions this season... who can tell in this league? Still, I''m sure you wouldn''t dream of stooping to Yankee''s level and dragging this thread up if this is the case, right...? [:)]

[quote user="I. Shurmer"]Really Mello, for somebody who more often than not takes cheap shots under the facade of off-the-wall humour, you really seem to have lost your sense of one haven''t you!? Maybe this resurrected thread just goes to show that we''re all fallible - or perhaps that the club isn''t run as badly as some of you think...

But who knows, maybe Watford will go up as champions this season... who can tell in this league? Still, I''m sure you wouldn''t dream of stooping to Yankee''s level and dragging this thread up if this is the case, right...? [:)]
[/quote]

Not sure if you intended to take an indirect shot at me Shurmer but I believe "my level" has stayed well above some of the doom and gloom group and, as far as dragging this thread up, I think it''s entirely appropriate to continue to do so as long as long as those beer cryers continue to cast aspersions on the way our club is run. However, I agree with the rest of your commentary.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Am I allowed to say that the truth hurts Mello? Imagine trying to get your hands on the free biscuits at Vicarage Road. Even the crumbs would be fought over.[/quote]

NCFC stopped the free beverage, biscuits (and matchday programme) in the Cathedral Lounge - a number of years ago.....I knew then, that times were going to get tight. Even the biccies that the punters now pay for - are squabbled over.

I feel no hurt, it will only be a matter of time before there are enforced changes at the top at Carra. Whether it is in the next few months, or the latter part of this season....I see it in my crystal testicle. "You Betcha!"

Now, get back to your Grape Nuts and Ocean-spray.....Keep yourself regular, lay off the Twinkies - and watch that waistline....

Sorry Yankee - not trying to taking a shot at you there. I was really trying to be ironic with the "your level" comment and indicate what some of those "beer cryers", as you so eloquently put it, may think of having to face up to their previous commentary. This is especially interesting, as it appear that this is exactly the tactic with which the same folk slate Delia et al. I personally have no objection at all with regurgitating old threads if they are relevant and constructive, and I do think it helps keep a certain level of perspective in these troubled times.Anyway, OTBC, 16 and a half hours to go...

Now, here we are before this season has even begun, Watford are in denial that they are on the edge of administration, despite selling anything they can land their hands on, and they have a manager who looks and sounds like he''s just waiting for someone else to make an offer. Watford''s board state they continue to investigate the possibility of fresh investment as a priority.Substitute "Norwich" for "Watford" in the above paragraph.We''ve sold or remortgaged pretty well anything the Board can get their hands on, players, the ground,Colney with the Directors funding the transfers thats another £1m+ on the Directors loans ''debt'' to be repaid on takeover, (that''s up to £5m now).Yes  we are in a healthy financial state aren''t we?Watford''s board state they continue to investigate the possibility of fresh investment as a priority.Now where have I heard this before????

Norwich, on the other hand, despite ongoing criticism from a few that seem to enjoy crying in their beer, are a club that afford to turn away 20 million because it''s not enough. For goodness'' sake haven''t you spent half the summer telling us no offer was ever made and now you proudly boast we turned down £20 million. Of course £20m isn''t enough because we are £35m in debt altogether. With assets of £51m, debts of £35m that leaves £16m for the shareholders, £20m would comfortably cover the shareholders and provide more for the team than the current shareholders have spent in years. What it wouldn''t cover is the debt we are in and that was probably the problem.Delia wanted PC to make good the bloody mess they''ve made of this Clubs finances and still walk away fully reimbursed herself.

For every Watford there''s a West Brom, for every Leicester there''s a Birmingham some go up and consolidate the club financially and build a strong team and some go up and waste the opportunity. We sadly wasted our golden chance, you need to accept it and move on away from making excuses however tenuous. The man stuck up to his waist in quicksand will probably get a little pleasure from the knowledge that the bloke next to him is in it up to his neck but unless he does something about it, it''s only a matter of time ''til he''s in it up to his own neck. I am the type who would do something, you are obviously the type who would take pleasure from the other guys predicament whilst justifying your own state with "At least I''m not as bad as him".

Quote: from Roedy Can''t Fail

Substitute "Norwich" for "Watford" in the above paragraph.We''ve sold or remortgaged pretty well anything the Board can get their hands on, players, the ground,Colney with the Directors funding the transfers thats another £1m+ on the Directors loans ''debt'' to be repaid on takeover, (that''s up to £5m now).Yes  we are in a healthy financial state aren''t we?

Watford''s board state they continue to investigate the possibility of fresh investment as a priority.
Now where have I heard this before????

Norwich, on the other hand, despite ongoing criticism from a few that seem to enjoy crying in their beer, are a club that afford to turn away 20 million because it''s not enough.
For goodness'' sake haven''t you spent half the summer telling us no offer was ever made and now you proudly boast we turned down £20 million. Of course £20m isn''t enough because we are £35m in debt altogether. With assets of £51m, debts of £35m that leaves £16m for the shareholders, £20m would comfortably cover the shareholders and provide more for the team than the current shareholders have spent in years. What it wouldn''t cover is the debt we are in and that was probably the problem.Delia wanted PC to make good the bloody mess they''ve made of this Clubs finances and still walk away fully reimbursed herself.

For every Watford there''s a West Brom, for every Leicester there''s a Birmingham some go up and consolidate the club financially and build a strong team and some go up and waste the opportunity. We sadly wasted our golden chance, you need to accept it and move on away from making excuses however tenuous. The man stuck up to his waist in quicksand will probably get a little pleasure from the knowledge that the bloke next to him is in it up to his neck but unless he does something about it, it''s only a matter of time ''til he''s in it up to his own neck. I am the type who would do something, you are obviously the type who would take pleasure from the other guys predicament whilst justifying your own state with "At least I''m not as bad as him".

If you take the time to think before you post you might get it into your noggin that the rhetoric over the summer was that "no formal offer was made to the club." All we know for sure was that Peter Cullum''s offer ( through the media ) of 20 million was something the board chose to turn away from. Now, rather than go over this tedious ground again, why don''t we just take joy in the beginning of a new season. Or would you rather wallow around in quicksand?

Now, here we are before this season has even begun, Watford are in denial that they are on the edge of administration, despite selling anything they can land their hands on, and they have a manager

who looks and sounds like he''s just waiting for someone else to make an

offer. Watford''s board state they continue to investigate the

possibility of fresh investment as a priority.
Substitute

"Norwich" for "Watford" in the above paragraph.We''ve sold or

remortgaged pretty well anything the Board can get their hands on,

players, the ground,Colney with the Directors funding the transfers

thats another £1m+ on the Directors loans ''debt'' to be repaid on

takeover, (that''s up to £5m now).Yes  we are in a healthy financial

state aren''t we?
I don''t think thats at all accurate. We still own our ground, our training facilities, and we can repay the debt on them. We aren''t facing administration, there aren''t ANY rumours suggesting we are.The board can''t just donate money. If they are to top up the players budget, they have to either by more shares or make a loan. We all want them to put in MORE money, not less!For every Watford there''s a West Brom, for every Leicester there''s a

Birmingham some go up and consolidate the club financially and build a

strong team and some go up and waste the opportunity
Er, I don''t think there is. Only a limited number of clubs achieve and retain Prem status, many more clubs are in financial trouble trying to get there. Look at Charlton, several seasons in the Prem, they get relegated and reduce the squad budget. They sell players. West Brom and Birmingham are more exceptions to the rule. They are doing very well, but they don''t have to worry so much about balancing the books as their board have more money (put into the club via share purchases and loans) than our board.

Roedy Can''t Fail wrote:

...a manager who looks and sounds like he''s just waiting for someone else to make an offer. ...Substitute "Norwich" for "Watford" in the above paragraph.

Evidence for this part of your comparison please.

I don''t think comparisons with Watford and Norwich are possible. I think Watford''s situation is far worse than anything faced at Norwich over the years - as someone has recently said, we still own our facilities, ground etc, always managed to scrape together funds for the odd purchase or two and have never really looked like going in to administration.Ignore what the board at Watford have said - they are clearly deep in the mire, similar to Southampton. I don''t think we''ve ever been that bad.

The board can''t just donate money. If they are to top up the players budget, they have to either by more shares or make a loan. We all want them to put in MORE money, not less!

Do you maybe think, that actively seeking outside investment from a local billionaire - may help?[:|]

[quote user="ron obvious"]Roedy Can''t Fail wrote:

...a manager who looks and sounds like he''s just waiting for someone else to make an offer. ...Substitute "Norwich" for "Watford" in the above paragraph.

Evidence for this part of your comparison please.[/quote]If you read my post you''ll have seen that I subsequently cover points one and three made by Yankee not the little bit in the middle covering AB/GR. As this is the bit you''ve chosen to contest it appears that you accept the other two points are valid then?[:)]

[quote user="Roedy Cant Fail"][quote user="ron obvious"]Roedy Cant Fail wrote:

Evidence for this part of your comparison please.[/quote]If you read my post you''ll have seen that I subsequently cover points one and three made by Yankee not the little bit in the middle covering AB/GR. As this is the bit you''ve chosen to contest it appears that you accept the other two points are valid then?[:)][/quote]Incorrect. I chose this bit because nobody else seemed to be questioning this assertion. Your other arguments  have been debated to my satisfaction a long time ago.