Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Want to see a real centre half?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Barry Butler.....................>......................................................................................>

OTBC

[/quote]

Fine no doubt for your club but was he in the league of either Billy Wright or John Charles?

[quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Barry Butler.....................>......................................................................................>

OTBC

[/quote]

Fine no doubt for your club but was he in the league of either Billy Wright or John Charles?

[/quote]

Pushing your luck now sunbeam.........

Not welcome...not welcome at all.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unless you know anything about our history I would suggest you don''t join in on certain threads. Barry Butler is one of our true greats sadly taken from us in his prime.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have no problem with fans from other clubs on our board, but one of the drawbacks is that you obviously have no idea about our great clubs great history. So maybe you should just stick to poking your nose into our financial affairs and the odd comment about Jamie Cureton who you have possibly seen more times than me. Cluck is spot on, your comments here are unwelcome.

Check out this thread if you want to find out more about the late great Barry Butler.

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/3/1017417/ShowPost.aspx#1017417

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"][quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unless you know anything about our history I would suggest you don''t join in on certain threads. Barry Butler is one of our true greats sadly taken from us in his prime.

[/quote]

Yes he sadly died in a car crash and subsequent winners of his trophy include two players not in your current Hall of Fame at this moment in time so far as I see (Docherty and Andy Marshall).

It remains a valid question: was he in the league of Billy Wright or John Charles?  I have no idea but they were the two greatest centre-halves I have seen.

Judging by some reasonably current posts on here I assume the Docherty and Andy Marshall nominations were just a "blip" at the time?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have no problem with fans from other clubs on our board, but one of the drawbacks is that you obviously have no idea about our great clubs great history. So maybe you should just stick to poking your nose into our financial affairs and the odd comment about Jamie Cureton who you have possibly seen more times than me. Cluck is spot on, your comments here are unwelcome.

Check out this thread if you want to find out more about the late great Barry Butler.

Yes, I know about him thanks.  It remains a valid question for a person of my age.   I''ve read all about him in the Canary Citizens book and it does not compare him with anyone.

Which makes it somewhat difficult to judge him for some Old Git like me who watched Wright and Charles both of whom, in their time, were considered in England and Wales the best centre halves in the business. 

[/quote]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He was only asking a question..

To be honest I''d only heard the name before, but had no idea what he did for the club, or what kind of player he was either. Thanks for the link, it''s always good to learn a bit of history of the club and its players.

far far to young to of seen him play... but some might say he was the best EVER to pull on the yellow and green....

a legend in hi own right in over 300 matches...

jas :)

I think I misread the motives of your question Camuldonum so I apologise for that.

I can''t comment as to whether he was in the league of Billy Wright or John Charles. Arrdee would be able to tell you.

For what it''s worth I don''t think it makes much difference if he was as good as those two because he was quite possibly as important to our club as they were to theirs. That''s what really matters I think.

Hall of Fame comments are interesting. The Hall of Fame seems to be a new concept and it was filled all at once over the last few years instead of being filled gradually over our history. Most fans have their own Hall of Fame in their minds from the years they have been a fan. Out of interest are Marshall and Doc the only two Barry Butler winners not in the Hall Of Fame?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now you lovely old Layer rd boy , to my mind Billy Wright wasn''t a centre half he was better playing along side a good out and out one like our other good centre half Maurice Norman who use to carry Wright through matches , at the end of a England match Wright would shake Montys hand and pat him on the back , i always use to think you should give him half your match fee . Have you ever seen clips of Hungary v England when Puskus took him apart ? Wright for me is a long way down the list .John Charles was one of my all time greats , the complete player he could play centre half or centre forward but as he played most of the time at centre forward its hard to judge him against Barry .What i can do however is judge Barry with Monty , now i wasn''t old enough to have seen Monty play for Norwich i always asked  my brother how good was Monty ? "About half as good as barry "  was his answer,  so that will do for me . I only wish some of you fans had seen him play , if i could turn back time what would i give ?It always upsets me to think i had the good fortune to see him play and lots on the Board didn''t .Believe me he was great .arrdee.

Camuldonum asked a completely reasonable question and, in my opinion, the reactions to him are completely embarrasing. He was simply enquiring about the player that BBB started a thread about - what is wrong with that? If he had been insulting about BB I can understand the anger but I can''t see anyway in which his post was disrespectful. He didn''t say he wasn''t in the same league, he asked if he WAS. [:$]   

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Wonderful player that the man above took far to soon imo.......sad.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Camuldonum asked a completely reasonable question and, in my opinion, the reactions to him are completely embarrasing. He was simply enquiring about the player that BBB started a thread about - what is wrong with that? If he had been insulting about BB I can understand the anger but I can''t see anyway in which his post was disrespectful. He didn''t say he wasn''t in the same league, he asked if he WAS. [:$]   [/quote]

Well I did say sorry........................................................................ [&]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Camuldonum asked a completely reasonable question and, in my opinion, the reactions to him are completely embarrasing. He was simply enquiring about the player that BBB started a thread about - what is wrong with that? If he had been insulting about BB I can understand the anger but I can''t see anyway in which his post was disrespectful. He didn''t say he wasn''t in the same league, he asked if he WAS. [:$]   [/quote]

Well I did say sorry........................................................................ [&]

[/quote]

Yeah you sure did, didn''t see that - so I suppose apologies are in order to you, lol! [:)] SORRY, NN. Now I''m even more embarrased, [:$]. OTBC.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Wonderful player that the man above took far to soon imo.......sad.

[/quote]

God would disagree - Butler helped  AFC Heaven to a Universe League & Cup double that year.