Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

murray - impressive or dummy???

i thought murray looked good last night - and quite classy - he''ll get better the more games he gets, make no mistake.  the player tired last 20 mins quite badly, and obviously isn''t match fit just yet, and along with a groin hindered doc, presented scunny with chances they shouldn''t have had.  i was impressed.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i thought murray looked good last night - and quite classy - he''ll get better the more games he gets, make no mistake.  the player tired last 20 mins quite badly, and obviously isn''t match fit just yet, and along with a groin hindered doc, presented scunny with chances they shouldn''t have had. 

i was impressed.
[/quote]

Yup, I thought he defended quite well last night apart from when he tired towards the end. He seems to read the game well, a good tackler and doesn''t seem to panic. Thought he looked decent against Wednesday too.

Thought the Doc did very well last night, clearly hampered by an injury but he gave everything to the cause and defended well. The boos and jeers when he made the slightest mistake were absolutely pathetic.

I dont see it myself, feel he looked physically weak and was always the last defender playing people onside. Very poor heading and distribution, and never said a word all match. No threat at set pieces.

Why don''t we just give him a chance to play himself in before passing sentence on the lad. CB is the position where getting to know the team is most important. IMO he''s done somwhere between OK and pretty well.

I agree that Murray did ok to pretty well. There''s more to come from him and I he''s a good option to have at CB. I''d like to aim some praise at Doherty too, I thought his defending was very good on tues night. If any of the defenders have lost any form at the moment I would have to say it''s Otsemobor. His marking and defending has deteriorated recently, not the sparkling form he was showing earlier this season.

He has done well but suspect he may be better elsewhere,  good cover and means we are not desperate for a new CB after all.  Use that money on the midfield instead

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i thought murray looked good last night - and quite classy - he''ll get better the more games he gets, make no mistake.  the player tired last 20 mins quite badly, and obviously isn''t match fit just yet, and along with a groin hindered doc, presented scunny with chances they shouldn''t have had. 

i was impressed.
[/quote]

Yup, I thought he defended quite well last night apart from when he tired towards the end. He seems to read the game well, a good tackler and doesn''t seem to panic. Thought he looked decent against Wednesday too.

Thought the Doc did very well last night, clearly hampered by an injury but he gave everything to the cause and defended well. The boos and jeers when he made the slightest mistake were absolutely pathetic.

[/quote]You thought the doc played well? You didn''t see just before half time when he went to clear a ball,he swung at it, missed it, ended up on the floor and the scunthorpe forward was clear on goal! He should of buried it but very lucky for us he put it wide!

[quote user="topoftheleague"]

You thought the doc played well? You didn''t see just before half time when he went to clear a ball,he swung at it, missed it, ended up on the floor and the scunthorpe forward was clear on goal! He should of buried it but very lucky for us he put it wide![/quote]

Every player made mistakes  but generally Docs form was excellent during Sept,   however he did ok again on Tuesday,  especially considering his injury ,  yes a striker turnined him but thats their job,  the same happened to all our defenders.  His distribution was very poor and he was not as strong as in the previous three games,  but he did ok 

On Tuesday other errors were Murray letting the striker get goal side of him,  Dion missing a couple of free headers that wuld have got us three points,  hux and croft putting crosses out of touch,  jarvis not closing quickly enough,  Rusty failing to win the ball back or pick up much in the way of loose possession, cureton walking onto the pitch etc etc etc.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="topoftheleague"]

You thought the doc played well? You didn''t see just before half time when he went to clear a ball,he swung at it, missed it, ended up on the floor and the scunthorpe forward was clear on goal! He should of buried it but very lucky for us he put it wide![/quote]

Every player made mistakes  but generally Docs form was excellent during Sept,   however he did ok again on Tuesday,  especially considering his injury ,  yes a striker turnined him but thats their job,  the same happened to all our defenders.  His distribution was very poor and he was not as strong as in the previous three games,  but he did ok 

On Tuesday other errors were Murray letting the striker get goal side of him,  Dion missing a couple of free headers that wuld have got us three points,  hux and croft putting crosses out of touch,  jarvis not closing quickly enough,  Rusty failing to win the ball back or pick up much in the way of loose possession, cureton walking onto the pitch etc etc etc.

[/quote]

My problem with Doherty is not his actual defending but his tendency to want too much time on the ball and then, once he is closed down, to panic and hoof the ball aimlessly up the pitch thus conceding possession. I lost count of the number of times he ''started'' a Scunthorpe attack in this fashion on Tuesday night. I also thought that Murray looked good at CB until he started to tire but now I see that he is now another one for the bloody injury list - * sake man!! [:@]

I''m warming to Murray more now that he''s being played in his best position although I much sooner see Shacks and Dion at CB than anyone else right now.

ZippersLeftFoot wrote the following post at 04/10/2007 3:22 PM:

topoftheleague wrote:

You thought the doc played well? You didn''t see just before half

time when he went to clear a ball,he swung at it, missed it, ended up

on the floor and the scunthorpe forward was clear on goal! He should of

buried it but very lucky for us he put it wide!

Every player made mistakes  but generally Docs form was excellent

during Sept,   however he did ok again on Tuesday,  especially

considering his injury ,  yes a striker turnined him but thats their

job,  the same happened to all our defenders.  His distribution was

very poor and he was not as strong as in the previous three games,  but

he did ok 

On Tuesday other errors were Murray letting the striker get goal

side of him,  Dion missing a couple of free headers that wuld have got

us three points,  hux and croft putting crosses out of touch,  jarvis

not closing quickly enough,  Rusty failing to win the ball back or pick

up much in the way of loose possession, cureton walking onto the pitch

etc etc etc.

The thing is, ZIPPERS LEFT FOOT, docherty can be good, and look solid, but he makes too many mistakes on a regular occurence for him to be any more than an average defender. Everyone obviously makes mistakes but docherty, well, he seems, accustomed to them =]

Callum.

Every player made mistakes  but generally Docs form was excellent during Sept,   however he did ok again on Tuesday,  especially considering his injury

[/quote]

I''m sure you''re mistaken here, Zip.

I''m entirely confident, from reading this forum regularly, that only Brown and Doherty make mistakes.

Well hes injured now so it doesnt matter... however Im very glad that at least some people are warming to him

I agree he is an average defender Hoge - I have never said anything else;  all I have campaigned for is for equal treatment with his peers at the club - there isnt one centre back at the club who is even slightly better than him - so the criticism he gets is disproportionate.  He has been playing well recently and that should be reflected - as should his poor passing on Tuesday.

That some want Dion because he is a personal fave or shax because they think he is ''hot'' is irrelevant to how they defend - those two LOOK like better defenders but make playing doc makes no difference to goals conceeded or points won - and that is what he is there for.

Hope that made you chuckle hamster stylee ;-) 

I agree he is an average defender Hoge - I have never said anything else;  all I have campaigned for is for equal treatment with his peers at the club - there isnt one centre back at the club who is even slightly better than him - so the criticism he gets is disproportionate.  He has been playing well recently and that should be reflected - as should his poor passing on Tuesday.

That some want Dion because he is a personal fave or shax because they think he is ''hot'' is irrelevant to how they defend - those two LOOK like better defenders but make playing doc makes no difference to goals conceeded or points won - and that is what he is there for.

Hope that made you chuckle hamster stylee ;-) 

[/quote]

Well, i dont even find that funny =] [:P]

I will say though, Docherty could be one hell of a defender if a CentreBack alongside him had enough pace and focus to recoup from the mistakes docherty makes.

The worry is how EASILY docherty''s turned in places on the pitch he doesn''t need to. Have you also seen how often his hands are all over the other player, and how the ref could give free-kicks or penalties far more often than they have so far.

[quote user="topoftheleague"][quote user="GJP"]

i was impressed.
[/quote]

[/quote]You thought the doc played well? You didn''t see just before half time when he went to clear a ball,he swung at it, missed it, ended up on the floor and the scunthorpe forward was clear on goal! He should of buried it but very lucky for us he put it wide![/quote]

Yup, he played well. I saw that incident but that doesn''t detract from the fact he turned in a good performance for City. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably only sees what they want to see.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I agree he is an average defender Hoge - I have never said anything else;  all I have campaigned for is for equal treatment with his peers at the club - there isnt one centre back at the club who is even slightly better than him - so the criticism he gets is disproportionate.  He has been playing well recently and that should be reflected - as should his poor passing on Tuesday.[/quote]

I will say though, Docherty could be one hell of a defender if a CentreBack alongside him had enough pace and focus to recoup from the mistakes docherty makes.

The worry is how EASILY docherty''s turned in places on the pitch he doesn''t need to. Have you also seen how often his hands are all over the other player, and how the ref could give free-kicks or penalties far more often than they have so far.[/quote]

Steady on you two, this thread is descending into a discussion about football [:P]