Sign in to follow this  
listen (formerly MG7)

The Undead Thread

Completely stolen, not my idea at all - so if it dies on its a*** then I''m not to blame! But I read it on another message board, and thought it was a good idea.

Basically it''s for when people have got something to say, or ask, about something off topic, but don''t want to start a new thread. I know we''ve got other message boards on the Pink ''Un website for other topics, but this board is by far the most used, and most visited.

So any time you want to ask people what their favourite biscuit is, or who they reckon would win a fight between a lion and a tiger - this thread is the place to post it! (I know I''ve stolen those questions from The Guardian''s Small Talk... In fact, I''m just a thief!).

The thing is, I don''t know what topic to start us off on. Any ideas?

Oh and on the website that I got this idea from, the original poster said that ''The idea of the Undead is that whenever this thread is not at least on the first page it has to be dug up again to keep it going.''

I don''t know how well it will work on here, but let''s give it a try, eh?

OTBC!

OK. I''ll start with a post that''s also shamelessly stolen from WOTB last night.

The deal is, I give you a recommendation of a great piece of music, but you have to name one in exchange for it.

My starter is : Carter USM - Sheriff Fatman

I know Peter, it''s just that nobody ever goes on the other forums! All the stuff like ''Barry Davies or John Motson'', etc. could just go on one thread. Plus it gives people who don''t want to talk about the main topics, but also don''t want to start a new thread somewhere to post stuff.

It might not catch on anyway!

And just what is malted milk? I don''t think I''ve ever had it.

Tell you what, let''s find out what people''s favourite words are. Mine''s either archipelago or synagogue. Both great words!

OTBC

Sorry to say MG7 no one reads the other section because they are not really interested, also having other bits on this section would mean that the pages would fill up faster and if other people are like me and only look at the first one, to see if anything new is there, the threads might not get the full airing they deserve

re: blacko,

I think that it could have the opposite effect - at the moment people start new ''off topic'' threads (i.e. not about Norwich City - matches / tactics / players / rivals / gossip, but about something else, football related or not), and these threads take up a lot of space.

If they were all in one place, then that would be one thread not related to NCFC on the front page, instead of the three or four that we have on here most days now.

I appreciate that we don''t HAVE to talk about biscuits or lions and tigers, but the fact remains that nobody goes on the other boards, they only come here. And sometimes people start threads that don''t really belong here. I think we both have the same opinion on that - all I''m saying is that if it is ineveitable for people to talk ''off topic'', then keeping them all in one place would be a more effective way of dealing with it.

If it doesn''t take off, I don''t mind. Like I said, it''s not my idea - it''s one I saw somewhere else, but it seemed to work pretty well.

Let''s leave it up to the great Norfolk (and exiled!) public, and I''m happy to go with public opinion!

OTBC

I have to say I agree with Pete. The "it''s just not football" forum is good. Take me- I had a problem with my computer and people replied and it got solved. I always check the other forums when I see someone has posted something new.

Cool idea MG7, but it kind of cloggs up this forum for Norwich related threads

If you are interested in anything and want to voice your theories or opinions may I suggest to you all visit www.the-dot.org.

It is only lacking in the sport department at the moment although I have tried to get it going! It is a site open for discussion on absoloutly anything. Its very free and open so there are very few limits.

Anyway thats that lot done!

Ok DDiM, maybe I''m flogging a dead horse here, and it does look as though the great NCFC supporting public''s opinion is against me, BUT on the first page (or very top of Page 2) at time of writing, the following threads were all there.

-Apt anagrams
-John Motson or Barry Davies?
-What''s your favourite ever season?
-Nigel Worthington''s Left Ear
-Graham Kelly
-Delia... not quite the angel we all thought she was
-Premiership or Division 1?
-what a binner said about us!
-More sour grapes

Now without being disresepectful to the people who started those threads (I started one!), even though some of them are related to NCFC, they could all go under the umbrella post of the Undead Thread. This would open up more room for more serious topics of conversation on the front page of this messageboard.

But to be fair it does look as though I''m fighting a losing battle!

OTBC

To be fair though everyone of those threads is football or Norwich city related. At the end of the day this is a football/ Norwich City board. We don''t want to cram to many seperate topics in one thread.

Nice idea though

and we wonder why the message board is slow!!!!

I am more of a reader than a poster on here.... I remember reading a thread the other month about the web team only having to remove about 2 or 3 threads over the last years....
Perhpas we have to much waffle on here!!! Not having a go..... just this is could be a possible cause to the performance problems....

Keep persevering MG7 - you never know, your idea might just catch on. After all, there are times when I scan the threads and nothing grabs me. At such times I could revert to the Undead Thread.
My favourite biscuits are "Duchy Of Cornwall Shortbreads" - but then I am Fatman Fat ;-0)

Best value pre-match blow-out is the "All Day Breakfast" at William IV (end of Quebec Road) - incredible value for money...yum, yum!!

Carter Beats The Devil is a very good read but is actually by a guy called Glen David Gold. Sorry to be a pedant but difficult to find stuff in a bookshop sorted by name when the name given isn''t right!

And as an aside, his wife is Alice Sebold of The Lovely Bones and Lucky fame.

Craig

Plastic Scouser, I''m guessing you already know the answer to your question, but just in case you don''t, there was a documentary on tv a couple of years ago, featuring Bret ''The Hitman'' Hart. Or at least the guy who plays him. He was saying that if it was real, he''d have ten times as many bruises as he had, and that anyone who thought it was real was a ''dumb***''!

The storylines are conjured up by that guy Vince something or other (McMahon?), and the wrestlers go along with them.

Fatman Fat, my favourite restaurant in the city is by far and away Mambo Jambo''s on Lower Goat Lane. Every time I come back up from London, I book a table. Delicious.

What''s everyone''s favourite bar to have a pre-match pint? I usually head down to Riverside, like most people. But does anyone have a weird pre-match ritual that involves a certain pub?

Also at away matches, which are your favourite / least favourite?

OTBC

Great shout with Pedro''s Peter!

In fact, anything with ''O''s'' on the end - Mambo''s, Pedro''s, Fatso''s, Nando''s!

My worst pre-match experience was away to Burnley the season before the one just gone.
Went into Yates'' in the town centre, and got quite a lot of abuse off the Burnley fans, especially as I was supporting Man Utd in the tv game against Newcastle (Utd won 5-3 I think). I was actually quite scared. Then after the match, went to another pub, and had my coat zipped up so nobody could see my Norwich shirt. Massive guy at the bar asked me who I supported, and I opened my coat and said ''Norwich - why?''.

He looked at me and said ''you shouldn''t be in here'', and I was bricking it! We left soon after and ran all the way to the train station!

Only a week or two later that poor lad from Nottingham got stabbed to death in the Yates'' pub for having his Forest shirt on in there.

I won''t be going out in Burnley again. Ever. And how players can choose to move to places like that is beyond me. Burnley is in my opinion (to save myself from any libel claim!) the most horrible place I''ve ever been to. It''s a disgusting hovel. I''m so glad to come from Norwich. Going places like that makes you realise how lucky we are!

OTBC

Ooh, one more question:

Next season, which ground (Portaloo Road apart) will you miss going to most, and why?

Mine will be Watford, as it''s right near where I live, and I know a few Watford fans. Also Readin, where I''ve been for the last couple of seasons, and it''s a great stadium with fairly good banter between the fans.

OTBC

Can I recommend a great new CD?

Try an album by the Zutons, called ''Who killed the Zutons?''

I think the current system works well. This board should not be reseved for serious NCFC stuff because at the end of the day Football is a bit of a laugh. Variety is what makes this board interesting.

I care in equal amounts about what formation NW should play and why Delia is no saint.

This thread is fun to read but its a bit like MTV in that you are not sure whether the next link is going to be of interest to you.

Keep the format as it is.

ps Arrested Development - Mr Wendal is a class tune.

Craig...you are so right!!! Apologies to anyone who rushed into waterstones or wherever to buy "Carter Beats The Devil" - Gold is the author.

Should "Hell''s Kitchen" be shown on a Sunday with all that swearing? Should "Hell''s Kitchen" be shown at all?????