Sign in to follow this  
Kissthebadge

Proud Dad!

As a season ticket holder and father, I''ve been waiting for my children to get to a suitable age to take them to a game.  I''ve always worried about them being a bit young and being put off if I took them too early.  Well my eldest son has hit 6 and a half and with it being the school holidays i decided to take him to the Barnet game.  Of course it was a good game with plenty of goals and a great introduction.  He loved it and wants to go again. So come on fellow dads out there, to what game did you first take your children, and how did they enjoy it?

Nice one Sig....another member of Y''army. You''ve gotta start brain-washing them young or they''re gonna come home asking for a Chelsea kit.

My Dad took me to my first game when I was four and I had to stand on 2 milk crates so I could actually see anything. Vaguely remember being bored and knackered by the whole experience.

My daughters been pleading with me to come along to matches but at three and a half there''s no chance yet. She has the attention span of.....well....a three and a half year old. I''d say 5 - 6 is a good age to start the brain-washing process.

My lad will be one in October and got his first City kit a couple of weeks ago. Was more for my benefit than his!

I took my boy to see us v Sheffield United, he was 4 at the time.  I don''t think he liked it, good job I stopped at Morrisons on the way and bought about a fivers worth of sweets.

I reckon 6 is a good age, thats how old I was when my dad took me. 

The one thing that annoys me though is when you see people there with really young kids, babies at 9-10 months old, toddlers of 1 or 2.  I just can''t help thinking you selfish tw*t.

My boy is 4 and a bit and i took him to his first game on Tuesday. He had a pie and bottle of coke b4 the game then sat on my lap through the first half. He had a bag of crisps at half-time and then slept through the second half, he obviously understands the game better than me or i''d have had a kip in the 2nd half too!!!!

He has since told me he enjoyed it and would like to go again, so all in all a successful first visit. 

I took my girlfriend and her daughter to there 1st to the Vitesse Arnhem game.  Her daughter being 5 and not really knowing the rules I had to try to explain a hell of a lot before and during the game.  She had been pleading with me to take her to a game so I thought that one would be the best 1 as there wouldn''t be too many people and it wouldn''t get too boisterous in the stands with shouting and swearing, etc.  She loved the 1st hr of the game, but then boredom took hold, plus it was quite late for her so she began messing around a bit, and trying to do stuff with us rather then watch the game.  She managed to see the goal though and feel a little bit of atmosphere, as much as 7,000 people dotted around the stadium can do. 

She told me she enjoyed it, but as I said, it was probably only the 1st hr.  Because of that, I might leave it til next years pre-season friendlies before I take her again, maybe trying to get her to watch some games on TV with me, and take her to the park with a footy.  Hopefully, by the next time she watches a game, she will know more of what to expect and what she is watching.

I took my kids at about 4 with books because their attention span is so short, mind you we were dire at the time. Proud to say my son and I still go and as he is 21 he gets his own season ticket, which amuses his mates as he lives in Ipswich.

My dad took me to watch Norwich vs Luton (0-0 thriller) when I was 6 (1986). I had to stand on a box to see and we had the following conversation:

Me: Dad, these men around us are swearing

Dad: I know son, but it''s a football match, and sometimes people swear.

Me: Yes, I understand that, by they are swearing at OUR team!

i took my cousin who is 12 to his first footy match against barnet he loved it he wants to go again so the mighty canries fan base is grwoing by the day

As I said before, my Dad first took me when I was four and 30 years on we both have season tickets next to eachother. My favourite father / son moment was after Delia''s rallying call at half-time against Man City.

I stood there freezing my n*ts off, feeling flat at how we''d allowed a 2 goal lead slip and watching a celebrity chef asking ''where I was''. I looked at my Dad in disbelief with questioning eyes for some form of paternal explanation and got the following...

"that''s what happens when you take women to football and give them alcohol"

Bless him

my little girl is only 16 months but i have taught her to say "goal!" and clap her hands when she sees anything Yellow on TV! lol

she will be attending her first game at 4 years old i have decided.

jas :)

Funnily enough, I had planned to take my 6 year old daughter to the Barnet game as her first match.  However, we managed to out do this by going to PNE on Saturday...so she has now been to two games in a week!

All in all then, we as fans seem to have a ''youth policy'' that appears to be delivering better results than City''s academy!

The Walsall game at home (we won 5-0 or something) was the first time i had taken my dad along to a game.

He hadnt been well with back and leg issues, so it was a pleasant treat for him. Although he couldnt stand up for pre-match pie and pint....

As for taking my son, i shall wait til later this season i think, after he has turned 5.

Been taking mine for a year hes six now.

Was going well till we went with a mate who has a boy in his class to the W Ham game. My boy now wants a W Ham shirt as well and wants to support two team because his mate from school likes them. My mate winds me up about it and I try not to be annoyed but it hurts deep down.

Not happy

I have been taking my two boys since the youngest was six, they are now 15 and 13. My wife for some strange reason has also started showing an interest and has had a season ticket for the last couple of years. My eldest boy spent 4 years in the NCFC accademy and we got a lot of inside info from that. We are fanatical NCFC fans, the type of family that Smudger et al seem to think are ruining the club, to that I say Bollo.ks, my kids are the future of the club and they know enough about football, particularly the accademy boy to be as supportive or critical as the rest.

Last couple of years I have wondered why we bother to go, it costs me £1K  a year. I feel pretty good about this season so lets hope for something good.

Being based up in the North West, it''s not so easy to get to matches but my 5yr old boy is already learning the ropes as a Norwich fan in the heart of Scouseland!   He''s fully up to speed with the team in yellow & green!  [img]http://www.iheartpaws.com/forums/images/smilies/Bananejump.gif[/img]Unfortunately my little girl''s head has already been turned to the red side - which is actually quite ironic given that her Mum is a Blue!

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]Being based up in the North West, it''s not so easy to get to matches but my 5yr old boy is already learning the ropes as a Norwich fan in the heart of Scouseland!   He''s fully up to speed with the team in yellow & green!

[img]http://www.iheartpaws.com/forums/images/smilies/Bananejump.gif[/img]

Unfortunately my little girl''s head has already been turned to the red side - which is actually quite ironic given that her Mum is a Blue!
[/quote]

I guess we can expect to see the team bus propped up on bricks with the wheels missing now then........